Sign in to follow this  
smacgregor

Schedule Problems

6 posts in this topic

Has anybody else had any problems trying to watch any movies on TCM lately? The dish service records programs, movies, etc., according to the times (start and end time, running time) given by the channels, and TCM did not show the movies in the times given on at least two recent occasions. I missed the end of "Traffic in Souls" because the movie ran longer than TCM said it would, and I missed "The Prowler" because it started earlier than it was supposed to start. I'm now wondering, after seeing about 90 minutes of "Traffic in Souls," if I''ll ever get to see the ending. This sort of thing has happened a few times in the past, too.

I write down in a composition notebook the schedule but I noticed TCM changes the times so it is necessary to turn on the record machine manually as the timer will mess up. I missed the 2nd half of DEVIL & DANIEL WEBSTER. & Many others...

I haven't had DVR that long but I've noticed it cutting off the end of not only some movies on TCM, but a lot of other stuff I've been recording. I know nothing about the technical aspects of how digital TV works, but I do DVR things mainly off the HD versions of channels and there appears to be a slight delay between HD Vs. regular broadcasing channels. I'll have the TV in the living room on HD and if I turn on the set in my bedroom watching the same thing, I'll hear the HD channel in the living room be slightly behind the one in my bedroom. That's the only thing I can come up with as far as a reason for this happening.

I notice that this occurs every so often. Sometimes the movies are changed. As to Traffic in Souls, as best I can tell what happened was the TCM schedule showed SPIONE as the 90 minute version but TCM actually showed the roughly 144 minute restored version. All shows after that were off by about 30 minutes. There was some other change that accounts for the time difference I think a short got cut out.

As with just about everything, if you want something done right, you must do it yourself. Not rely on electronics. You must turn the record device on yourself & off when over. this way you'll be assured to get your movie if you want it bad enough.

I've also run into several schedule programming problems so far this month. Fortunately, I anticipated some of the problems when advance scheduling my recorders. I scheduled with buffer timing, block recording, sometimes with extended recording blocks. I had no problems recording Metropolis and The Birth of a Nation. (Other TCM viewers at the AVS Forum reported these to have problematic scheduling.)

Still, I was fooled with some other titles. There were problems with The Films of Thomas Edison (split between two DVDs), D.W. Griffith With Biograph (missing eleven minutes), Silent Shakespeare (missing six minutes), The Indian Massacre (split between two DVDS), Within Our Gates (two minute mid-cut at around 72 minutes) and The Blot (split between two DVDs). At first I found Panasonic direct to DVD recording of Woman in the Window was incomplete and what I managed to record was fragmented between two DVDs. Then I found Woman in the Window intact after a title divide of a longer hard drive recording block on a Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorder. (I use high-speed dubbing to transfer titles to DVD with Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD recorders. The recent and current Magnavox 2160, 2160A, 513 and 515 HDD/DVD models take around fifteen minutes to high-speed dub a DVD.)

Using my Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox recorders I have thousands of home-recorded, time-shifted movies on DVD. I watch whatever I please, whenever I please.

I don't use cable company provided DVRs as they are not suitable for my use.