allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

This song was featured prominently in a very famous film noir.  Here are a couple of lines from it:

I have always placed you far above me

I just can't believe that you love me

Name the song and the movie.

"I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" featured in "Detour". 

Thanks, Star.

This song was written by a very famous songwriting team for the 1955 TV musical production of what is considered "the most performed American stage play".  The TV musical adaptation starred a legendary performer who recorded the song which has since become part of the Great American Songbook.

Here are a few of the lyrics:  Try, try, try to separate them

It's an illusion

Try, try, try and you will only come

To this conclusion

Name the song, the songwriting team, the legendary performer who sang and recorded it, and the American stage play on which the musical is based.

Thanks, Star.

This song was written by a very famous songwriting team for the 1955 TV musical production of what is considered "the most performed American stage play".  The TV musical adaptation starred a legendary performer who recorded the song which has since become part of the Great American Songbook.

Here are a few of the lyrics:  Try, try, try to separate them

It's an illusion

Try, try, try and you will only come

To this conclusion

Name the song, the songwriting team, the legendary performer who sang and recorded it, and the American stage play on which the musical is based.

I will answer part of this question.

This is Love and Marriage which was sung by Frank Sinatra  and Dean martin -either could be your answer for the legendary performer.

This isn't part of your question but it is interesting to note that it became the television theme song  as well.

Someone else can answer the rest of the question.

GPF - You have answered part of the thread by naming the song "Love And Marriage" and the performer who recorded it as being Frank Sinatra. (Dean Marrtin does not enter into this post).

Mr. Sinatra is the performer who sang the song "Love And Marriage" in a TV adaptation of a great American stage play. The song was written by a famous songwriting team.

These two questions still remain open to any one who wishes to respond - what is the name of the stage play and the names of the famous songwriting team.

• Like 1

As GPF already said, the song is "Love and Marriage", which was recorded by Frank Sinatra.  The stage play was Our Town.  Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen wrote the song. 

As GPF already said, the song is "Love and Marriage", which was recorded by Frank Sinatra.  The stage play was Our Town.  Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen wrote the song. 

Thanks, Azure.  BTW the TV production marked the beginning of a long, successful collaboration between Cahn and Van Heusen and was the first time that Nelson Riddle took charge as conductor of an entire television production.

Thanks again, Azure. The thread is yours.

Thanks, Marsha.

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

Press a bell and a moment later

Up you go in an elevator

Just as fast as a polecat

A-climbin' a tree

Please name the song, the singer and the film. 

I "Just Blew In From The Windy City

The windy city's mighty pretty

But it ain't got what we got

I'm tellin ya boys,

I ain't a swappin half of Deadwood

For the whole of Illinois

The song is "Just Blew in From the Windy City" sung by the one and only Doris Day in the film "Calamity Jane". Terrific number (written by Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster) which really shows how amazingly talented Doris is. I've always felt she would have been a superb Annie in "Annie Get Your Gun".

I "Just Blew In From The Windy City

The windy city's mighty pretty

But it ain't got what we got

I'm tellin ya boys,

I ain't a swappin half of Deadwood

For the whole of Illinois

The song is "Just Blew in From the Windy City" sung by the one and only Doris Day in the film "Calamity Jane". Terrific number (written by Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster) which really shows how amazingly talented Doris is. I've always felt she would have been a superb Annie in "Annie Get Your Gun".

You got it!  Well done, Marsha.  I love this musical number.  I absolutely agree that Doris Day would have been great in Annie Get Your Gun. 

Here's a video clip of Doris Day singing the song. 

Your turn, Marsha.

Thanks, Azure. And thanks for posting the film video clip of Windy City with Doris from Calamity Jane.

Ok. Do you recognize these lyrics?

Made up my mind

To make another start

I've made my mind up

But I can't make up my heart

Please name the song, the singer and the film.

I really love this song - - Better Luck Next Time from Easter Parade sung by Judy Garland.

I forgot to say that it was written by Irving Berlin.

Absolutely correct, Princess.  One of Berlin's best. BTW, John Pizzarelli has made a terrific recording of it.

Princess, the thread is yours.

The song is San Francisco, written by Bronislau Kaper, Walter Jurman and Gus Kahn and sung by Jeanette MacDonald in the film of the same name.  Below is a clip of her singing the song and you will note that the lyrics you cited are not heard in the movie.  Those lyrics were written as a special arrangement for Judy Garland when she did the song during her concert years.

And Star from the time of Dear Mr. Gable until her death, who wrote Judy's special material? Roger Edens, of course.

Star, you are perpendicular and hanging on a cable car and next--

Who sang these lyrics in what movie?  Also, who was the composer?

I might be smiling by now 

With some new tender friend

Smiling by now

With my heart on the mend

Off the top of my head this sounds like "If They Could See Me Now' sung by Shirley MacLaine in Sweet Charity.

Sweet Charity music was by Cy Colman.

In the late forties, Vaughn Monroe had a hit with the song "I Wish I Didn't Love You So".  It was such a big hit that the composer, Frank Loesser, who was writing the songs for the movie "The Perils Of Pauline" with Betty Hutton, decided to include the song in the movie.  Here's Betty:

Some years ago, I bought some cassette tapes of music from the late forties.  This song was from 1947.  It's kind of amazing to me that several of the songs that we have had on this thread recently are songs that I have on tapes.  For instance, "Better Luck Next time" is on Michael Feinstein's Irving Berlin album, which I bought more than ten years ago, but when I saw the lyrics, I remembered it instantly.  The same thing happened with "I Wish I Didn't Love You So" and "I Won't Dance".

Miles, it seems like Frank Loesser is one of the greatest American composers that nobody remembers.

People do remember Guys and Dolls - - but they just don't think about how great those songs were like Sinatra's Luck Be Be a Lady Tonight. I have a recording of Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin singing Nathan Detroit from some TV special; it's simply fantastic.

And he had another hit show-- They Knew What They Wanted with a hit song called Joey, Joey - - the only person I remember singing it was Judy Garland, who sing it to her son on her TV show.

Michael Feinstein is trying to carry on the work of Bobby Short - - who did those kind of albums superbly years ago. In particular I liked Bobby Short's albums for Cole Porter and the Gershwins. His work is how I initially learned tap numbers from Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell movies.

Princess,

I just wanted to mention that the Frank Loesser musical was called "The Most Happy Fella" which was based on the play "They Knew What They Wanted" by Sidney Howard.

BTW - Ella Fitzgerald recorded an album of Broadway songs which includes "Somebody Somewhere" from Frank Loesser's "The Most Happy Fella" as well as "Guys And Dolls" from the musical of the same name.

Loesser also wrote the score to "Hans Christian Andersen" starring Danny Kaye and the only song I can think of about New Years Eve "What Are You Doing New Year's, New Year's Eve?". 

A great composer and lyricist.

Yeah, Marsha-- I was thinking Most Happy Fella cuz I know the Big D number really well.

But I've been working for the last couple of weeks on the favorite thread for Carole Lombard. In my mind, I just about have memorized every Carole Lombard movie ever made. And believe it or not she starred in they knew what they wanted. At a certain age the brain will just going in One Direction.

I think the first time I saw Big D was with Carol and Julie at Carnegie Hall. Do you remember that?

Wow, those 4 little lines sure sparked some conversation!  It's probably needless to say, but just to make it official Miles got it right and the thread is his.

Princess,

Thanks for mentioning "The Big D" number which was featured in "Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall". I love that number and it was originally performed in 1961 on the Garry Moore Show where Carol was a regular and Julie was a guest star.  The success of that performance prompted the development of the CBS special "Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall" where they reprised "The Big D" number. One of the songs that Carol sings in their Carnegie Hall special is "Meantime" which was expressly written for her by Robert Allen and Al Stillman. The chemistry between Julie and Carol is pure show-biz magic, which doesn't happen that often. The entire production is a treasure.

Star, sorry for getting carried away and going off topic. And most importantly, Miles, the thread is yours.

(Just had to add another favorite Frank Loesser show to the conversation since I love that guy: HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING -- his Pulitzer)