allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

If this keeps up we'll have to turn this into the Frank Loesser thread.

Lonesome, it's great to ReDiscover another American classic pop composer!

Miles, it's still your turn--

One  more.  Frank Loesser's wife was furious when he sold a certain song that he had written to a movie studio.  She considered it "their song".  What was the song, what movie was it in, and who sang it in the movie?

One  more.  Frank Loesser's wife was furious when he sold a certain song that he had written to a movie studio.  She considered it "their song".  What was the song, what movie was it in, and who sang it in the movie?

The song is "Baby, It's Cold Outside" from the movie "Neptune's Daughter" and it was sung by Esther Williams, Ricardo Montalban, Red Skelton and Betty Garrett.

• Like 1

That's right.  The song was actually written in 1944.  Frank Loesser and his wife sang the duet at parties.  "Neptune's Daughter" was released in 1949, and the song won the Oscar for that year.  Since his wife was upset with him for selling the song, when they did sing it at parties, he called himself the "evil of two Loessers".  Here is a clip containing both duets from the movie:

Marsha, good work.  Please take the next one.

Thanks, Miles.

This song was written for a semi-biographical film about a musician/bandleader which starred an internationally known performer.  The song, which was sung by the star of the movie, was written by his wife.  Many years later this same song was recorded by an American singer/songwriter on an album featuring classic 20th Century American Songbook standards.

1. Name this song. 2. Name the movie and the musician/bandleader on which it is based. 3. Name the star of the movie and his songwriting wife. 4. Name the American singer/songwriter and the well known album on which he recorded this song.

The song, I believe, is "Lullaby In Ragtime".  The movie was "The Five Pennies", which was based on the life of bandleader Red Nichols.  It starred Danny Kaye.  His songwriting wife was Sylvia Fine.  It was recorded by Harry Nilsson and included in his album titled "A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night".  Here is Danny with Barbara Bel Geddes in the movie.

And here is Harry Nilsson's recording.

Miles,

You're absolutely correct. Sylvia Fine, who wrote many of her husband Danny Kaye's songs in his films, received an Academy Award Nomination for Best Original Song for "The Five Pennies" in the movie of the same name. Music is subjective, but in this case I thought that "Lullaby In Ragtime" was a  better song.  Thanks so much for posting both the Danny Kaye and Barbara Bel-Geddes film clip and Harry Nilsson's recording.

Excellent job, Miles.  The thread is yours.

Thanks.  A well known musical star sang these lyrics while in a romantic mood in a movie.  

Someday look and you'll find
Two hearts were blessed
Someday fate may be kind
Pray for the future, hope for the best

Can you name the singer, the song, and the movie it is from?  Bonus points if you can name the songwriters.

This star was a particular favorite of Archie Bunker.

I've always liked this song.  It's One Never Knows, Does One?, written by Harry Revel and Mack Gordon, it was sung by Alice Faye in Stowaway.  Here's the clip:

I had a feeling that you might get this one, Star.  Folks, Starliteyes and I have seen lots of Shirley Temple movies.  It was said that Archie Bunker used to dream about Alice Faye.  It's your thread, Star.

Thanks, Miles.

Can you name the song, movie and performers (duet) from the following set of lyrics:

Drifting on the Bay of Can't Forget You

Moonbeams will re-light the night I met you

I think this is "Mem'ry Island" from Summer Stock.  It was sung by Gloria DeHaven and Hans Conried. 

Thanks, Star.  "Mem'ry Island" is a lovely song.

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

I know that when you're as free as a bird in a tree

Life is a wonderful whim

Look at the crank with his dough in the bank

Don't you feel sorry for him?

Please name the song, the singer and the film.

Probably the least remembered tune from Road to Morocco (compared to title song and Moonlight Becomes You)..it's Ain't Got A Dime to My Name, sung by Bing Crosby

Probably the least remembered tune from Road to Morocco (compared to title song and Moonlight Becomes You)..it's Ain't Got A Dime to My Name, sung by Bing Crosby

Bingo!  Good job, Shutoo.  The thread is all yours. 

Okay..try this:

Well I told her mama and her papa too

Just exactly what I want to do

I want to get married on a night in June

This song shows up in several film soundtracks, but I'm looking for the first time, when it was performed by a group who recorded the song (though they weren't the first.or last)

Song, performers, and film?

The song "Bony Moronie" has been recorded by many artists going back to the fifties.  In the sixties it was recorded by a group called "The Standells", and it was heard in the movie "Get Yourself A College Girl" around 1964.   Here is a short clip:

The Standells, while from the west coast, are very popular in Boston because of a song they did called "Dirty Water".  It contains the line "Boston, You're My Home".  It's played at Fenway Park after each Boston Red Sox home victory.  Here's something you may not know.  One of the founders of the group and the original keyboard player was Larry Tamblyn, the brother of actor Russ Tamblyn.   The group did some of the music for the Connie Francis movie "Follow The Boys" which co-starred Russ Tamblyn.

Here they are with "Dirty Water", looking very much like numerous other sixties rock groups.

Thanks MilesArcher for the clips (there's a clip of their performance from the film on YouTube, if anyone's curious)... even those of us who grew up no where near Boston remember Dirty Water..probably every local garage band had a version. I didn't know it was Russ Tamblyn's brother in the group. Larry Williams, the song's writer, recorded it in '57, as well as a tune called Short Fat Fannie..evidently he didn't have a 'type', hehe. It's his version heard over the possessed radio in "Christine".

Your thread!

Thanks.  Sportscaster Chris Berman, the king of nicknames, used to refer to football player Lawrence Maroney as Lawrence "Bony" Maroney.

Now, here are lyrics from a song that was performed as a song and dance number by two top musical stars.

His eyes, his nose, his fingers, his toes
His smile when he says please
And when he sneezes, his sneeze
His arms, chest, coat, vest
His everything is sweeter than sweet
I try and try but honest to Pete

Can you name the song, the movie it is from, the featured performers, and the composer?  The composer should be rather familiar to folks who follow this thread.

The song is Can't Stop Talking About Him, written by Frank Loesser and performed by Betty Hutton and Fred Astaire in Let's Dance.  Here's a clip:

• Like 1

That's correct, Starlit, and thanks for posting that clip.  Once again, Frank Loesser has tailored a song for the performer.  You can see from the clip how it fits Betty's style of singing.  I couldn't see some of Fred's other partners, like Cyd Charisse or Vera-Ellen, singing that song.  It's your thread, Star.

Below are some lyrics.  Please name the song and movie it's from.

We'd make a team that would be supreme

With love that's everlasting

It wouldn't be extreme 

To call us perfect casting