allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

Below are some lyrics.  Please name the song and movie it's from.

We'd make a team that would be supreme

With love that's everlasting

It wouldn't be extreme 

To call us perfect casting

Hint:  The name of the movie and the song share the same title.  None of the stars sing it, but one of the stars dances to it.

That's it!  With music by Jerome Kern and lyrics by Ira Gershwin, it was sung by a chorus while Rita Hayworth danced to it with a chorus of men.

Your thread, Azure.

Thanks, Star.

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

When you wear lapels

Like the swellest of swells

You can pass any mirror and smile

Please name the song, the singers, and the film.

Sounds like Style from Robin and the 7 Hoods, sung by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Bing Crosby.

Well, that didn't take long!  Good job, Star.  Your turn.

These lyrics may be a little bit more obscure, but we've got some pretty savvy people on these boards; so let's see what happens:

When you hear birds singin' and there ain't no birds

Look out, my friend, that's bad

When a church bell's ringin' and there ain't  no church

You better run like mad

Name the song, movie and singer.

The leading man was a popular crooner of the day and the third lead was played by a band leader who had once employed him as a vocalist.

Starlit, this is a wild guess, and I'm going on your clues.  What comes to mind is "Moonlight Propaganda" from "Do You Love Me?"  The singer would be Dick Haymes.

Thanks for the wonderful clues on that one.  I love that song.  It's a real production number in the movie, involving many dancers.  But poor Maureen O'Hara--- all she was required to do was be there to look beautiful, which she did better than almost anyone else in Hollywood.

Let's try this one.  These are part of the lyrics to the title song from a movie:

They're out to do the town but before they're through,

It's bound to be likened to when they lost the Titanic and the Wall Street panic.

The song is "The Boys' Night Out" from the 1962 film "Boys' Night Out".  It was recorded by Frank Sinatra several months before the movie's release, but for some reason, the movie's producers decided to have one of the film's cast members, Patti Page, record the song for the movie.

Here is Patti's version:

And here is Frank's version:

I prefer the Sinatra version.  Which one do you prefer?

Miles-- for some reason? Patti Page was one of the biggest recording artists of the 1950s. Full disclosure here - - I bought the Patti Page version of the song. And it did okay on the charts. I don't know if Frank had a single version--his was probably on an album somewhere.

But I always liked those lyrics - -

" Hey there mister build a fence around your sister it's the (bang bang) Boys Night Out--

Miles - - did you actually buy this record?

Miles-- for some reason? Patti Page was one of the biggest recording artists of the 1950s. Full disclosure here - - I bought the Patti Page version of the song. And it did okay on the charts. I don't know if Frank had a single version--his was probably on an album somewhere.

But I always liked those lyrics - -

" Hey there mister build a fence around your sister it's the (bang bang) Boys Night Out--

Miles - - did you actually buy this record?

Did I personally buy the record?  No.  Did we have it in our family?  I couldn't tell you.  Back when I was a kid, my father had a small dance band that played in local clubs on weekends.  We always had records of singers and musicians of that time and earlier times.  That may explain some of my interest in old songs.  How I wish I had those records now. 

• Like 1

Sorry it has taken so long to respond.  You know what computer problems are like. Princess, like you, I prefer Patti Page's version of the song.  And you're right--it was a minor hit for her.  Les Baxter also has a version on his album of movie songs.  It''s a fun song.  The version heard during the credits of the movie is slightly different from the one that was released as a single.

Miles, I think it's yours.

Thanks.  Princess, when I said "for some reason", I wasn't questioning Patti Page's singing.  She was a great singer.  It was my understanding that Sinatra was lined up to sing the song over the movie credits, but for a reason that i am unaware of, the producers switched to Patti Page.  We had lots of Patti Page records when I was younger, including "How Much is That Doggie In The Window?", "Old Cape Cod", and "The Tennessee Waltz".

Now, a song that became a hit for Bing Crosby was later sung in a movie by Bruce Willis and another man.  Can you name the song, the other man, and Bruce's movie?

I believe it's "Swinging on a Star", which was sung by Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello in Hudson Hawk.

Yes, it's probably one of the worst movies that Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello ever made.  Here they are:

Good work.  It's your thread, Azure

Thanks, Miles.  And thanks for the video.  I bet that was the best scene in the whole movie.  LOL

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

Nero played his fiddle while Rome was burning bright

He played "There'll Be A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight"

Please name the song, the 2 singers and the film. 

That's Laugh?  I Thought I'd Split My Sides, performed by Judy Garland and Charles Winninger in Ziegfeld Girl, and here they are now to do it for you:

• Like 1

That's Laugh?  I Thought I'd Split My Sides, performed by Judy Garland and Charles Winninger in Ziegfeld Girl,

You got it!  Thanks for providing the video clip.  Your turn.

These lyrics are from the introduction to the song:

In me you see a sinner and dancing is my crime

It seems a sin I've got to give in to syncopated time

It makes me lose my dignity

It make me lose my poise

Some folks call it music

My folks call it noise

Name the song, the singer and the movie.

This is "Music Makes Me", which was sung by Fred Astaire in Flying Down to Rio

Actually Fred just danced to it in Flying Down to Rio, although he did make a recording of it.  Ginger Rogers sang it early in the picture and Fred danced to it much later in the picture, and here they are:

Your thread, Azure.