allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

Princess, you are correct.  Good job.  I think you're right -- MGM wasn't really serious about letting Lena Horne play the role.  After all, if her musical numbers where cut from movies in the South, what would MGM have done if she'd had a larger role in a film?  And yes, a black woman having a romance with a white man was definitely a big no-no at that time (sadly). 

You know, it's ironic that they felt that Lena Horne was "too black" to play the role of Julie.  When she started to make movies, the studio discovered that she photographed very light and looked very much like a white woman.  They had to put darker makeup on her so that she could look "black enough".  How crazy was that?  I feel so sorry for Lena Horne (and others) for having to put up with all of that nonsense.  *sigh*

Anyway, here are both version of the song --

Here's Lena Horne's version from Till the Clouds Roll By:

Here's the version with Ava Gardner (dubbed by Annette Warren) from Show Boat:

Here's Ava Gardner performing the song with her own singing voice:

OK, Princess, it's your turn. 

P.S.  It's great to see you back on the boards, Terrence! 

:)

Thank you, Azure. And thanks for putting so much time and work into that question. I know it wasn't an easy question to write.

Next--

This next song is by one of America's greatest 20th century Broadway / Hollywood composers.

After you identify the composer and the song, please give us an indication of who was associated with this song and your favorite rendition of this number.

" When the mob came and got her

And dragged her from the jail, (....)

They strung her upon the old willow across the way"

Cole Porter wrote "Miss Otis Regrets That She's Unable to Lunch Today" as a parody of a song he heard on a radio show.  His friend and fellow Yale classmate, Monty Woolley, became associated with it.  Woolley helped Porter "sell" it.  They would perform it at cocktail parties, some hosted by Elsa Maxwell.  In the Porter biopic "Night And Day", Monty Woolley plays himself.  Here is a clip from the movie:

One of the better versions, which stayed true to the original intent of the song. was done by Fred Astaire in a TV special with Barrie Chase.  Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eLYCOXjq2s 

Of course, Fred adds his own little touch with a dance around and on some furniture.

Miles, you never disappoint--

I don't have to tell you how I learned this number. I have audio cassette tapes of the Fred Astaire TV specials.

I remember the first Fred Astaire live special in 1958 on NBC. My father was watching it and really liked the dancing. I remember asking him, "who is Fred Astaire"?

Miss Otis Regrets was on the third TV special, Astaire Time in 1960.

Bravo, Miles, it's all yours--

Thank you, Princess.  Cole Porter wrote a lot of great songs.  One that Porter wrote was a song that was sung by Roy Rogers in two movies, one with Dale Evans and one without.  Can you name the song and both movies?

Thank you, Princess. Cole Porter wrote a lot of great songs. One that Porter wrote was a song that was sung by Roy Rogers in two movies, one with Dale Evans and one without. Can you name the song and both movies?

Of course, Miles, I can name the song. It's Don't Fence Me In.

Cole Porter had the facility to be able to write any kind of style of song on demand.

Of course, I have no idea what movie Roy Rogers sang it in.

Miles, that's your department.

But I can read and Wiki says it was Hollywood canteen and of all things a movie called Don't Fence Me In. Go figure.

That's correct, Princess.  I figured that my question wouldn't go unanswered very long.  Here is Roy with Trigger and The Sons Of The Pioneers in "Hollywood Canteen".

And here they are, joined by Dale Evans and a few dancers for the finale in "Don't Fence Me In".

Roy got a lot of mileage out of that song.

I know you were always a big fan of Roy and Dale, Princess.  Now you're up next.

I don't think I've seen the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans show in a long while. But I did recognize Gabby Hayes in that last still.

Next song-- and this is short and sweet:

" She was real cool and low."

This is a song from a musical that was on Broadway and later made into a motion picture.

We need the name of the composer and/or lyricist, the vehicle and any artists who performed the number on Broadway or in the motion picture.

I believe that would be Josephine, written by Cole Porter for the show Silk Stockings.  I don't know who sang it in the show, but Janis Paige sang it in the movie.  For your listening pleasure:

• Like 1

Star-- yes it was surely, " Josephine, commonly called Jo". Gretchen Wyler played Peggy Dayton on Broadway.

And I've never seen that album cover for Silk Stockings. Because I bought mine in London years ago and that one looks like it comes from France.

Up next--A Star turn--

Below are some lyrics.  Can you name the song, the movie it's from and the singer?

Will someone ever sing me a love song while we dance?

Will the music bring me romance?

Below are some lyrics.  Can you name the song, the movie it's from and the singer?

Will someone ever sing me a love song while we dance?

Will the music bring me romance?

The movie is from the mid-30's.  Here are a few more lyrics:

Will there be someone whenever skies skies are gray

To kiss my lonely tears away?

Thanks for the additional lyrics.  I believe it's "Someone to Care for Me", which was sung by Deanna Durbin in Three Smart Girls

Thanks, Star.  And thanks for the video.  Deanna Durbin had such a nice voice.

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics? 

Light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near

Please name:

- the song

- the composer

- the film that the song was introduced in (instrumental version)

- the first person to sing the lyrics for this song

(Bonus points for naming the two people who wrote the lyrics.)

I certainly do know this song!  I used it to audition for an apprentice position at an Equity summer stock theater many years ago, and I made it!  The song is Smile, composed by Charlie Chaplin, lyrics by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.  It was composed for Modern Times.  I have to admit though that I don't know who the first person was to sing it.

I certainly do know this song!  I used it to audition for an apprentice position at an Equity summer stock theater many years ago, and I made it!  The song is Smile, composed by Charlie Chaplin, lyrics by John Turner and Geoffrey Parsons.  It was composed for Modern Times.  I have to admit though that I don't know who the first person was to sing it.

Wow, that was a fast response!  LOL  That's wonderful that you made it into that summer stock theater.  You definitely picked a great song. 

:)

Yes, all of your answers are correct.  I'll give you a big hint for the singer -- He had a daughter who also became a famous singer.  She sang a "duet" with him at the Grammys in the 1990s  (she was actually singing with her father's recorded voice -- he had already died by that time).

Here is the verse to a song that would become well known.

Now, I don't care what the weather man says
When the weatherman says it's raining
You'll never hear me complaining, I'm certain the sun will shine
I don't care how the weather vane points
When the weather vane points to gloomy
It's gotta be sunny to me, when your eyes look into mine

As always, can you name the song and the movie it was first featured in, as well as who sang it?  One more thing this time, can you name who the song was sung to?

It's "Jeepers Creepers", which was first sung by Louis Armstrong.  He introduced the song in the 1938 film Going Places.  The song was sung to a horse (who happened to be named Jeepers Creepers). 

Yes, Louis Armstrong had a hit with his recording of "Jeepers Creepers", which was written by Harry Warren and Johnny Mercer.  It, of course, has become a standard.  Here are Satchmo and friend.

It's your thread, Azure. 

Thanks, Miles.

Next:  This classical song was played on the harpsichord during a key scene in a movie from 1939.  Two years later, this same song was briefly played on the piano by the star of a noir-ish drama. 

Please name:

- the song

- the composer

- the 2 films

- the star who played the song in the 2nd film

Hint -- The film from 1939 is a drama.  The star in the 1941 film won an Oscar for Best Actress (for another film).