2,703 posts in this topic

Thanks, Marsha. 

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

Talk of your cold, refrigerating mamas

Brother, she's a polar bear's pajamas

To tease 'em and thrill 'em

To torture and kill 'em

Is her delight they say...

This song was featured in a film that was shown on TCM not too long ago (less than two weeks ago).  Please name the song, the film, and the person who sang the song.  Feel free to name any other films or TV shows that this song was featured in. 

The song is Hard Hearted Hannah and I know that Ella Fitzgerald sang it in Pete Kelly's Blues, although I must admit that I wasn't aware that it had been on in the past couple of weeks.

The song is Hard Hearted Hannah and I know that Ella Fitzgerald sang it in Pete Kelly's Blues, although I must admit that I wasn't aware that it had been on in the past couple of weeks.

Yes, it's "Hard-Hearted Hannah", the vamp of Savannah  -- the meanest gal in town.  Leather is tough, but Hannah's heart is tougher.  She's a gal who loves to see men suffer.  LOL!  Good job, Star.  I love this song and no one sang it better than Ella.  Here's a video clip of her singing the song in the movie.  (There's a short narration in Spanish at the beginning of the video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9s1E5PZEw

FYI, Carol Burnett sang a comical version of this song on The Lucy Show.  Bea Arthur also sang this song on Maude and on The Golden Girls.  If you're interested in watching those performances, the videos are available on Youtube. 

OK, your turn, Star.

Thanks, Azure!

Here are some lyrics:

Dizzy me

Silly moon

Crazy quilt of a sky

Are you real

Or a dream

That got caught in my eye?

Name the song, performer and the movie.

starliteyes,

The song is "When I Look At You" performed by Judy Garland in Presenting Lily Mars.

Thanks, starliteyes,

Here are some lyrics to mull over:

Don't let the clouds get you down

Show me a smile, not a frown

Stand up and win!  Turn about!

Don't give in!  Let's give out!

Name the song, the performers, and the movie. Extra credit for naming the composer and lyricists.

I didn't have to mull that one over very long.  That's Make Way for Tomorrow, performed by Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth and Phil Silvers in Cover Girl.  Music was by Jerome Kern and the lyrics were by Ira Gershwin and E.Y. Harburg.  I've always enjoyed that number.

Excellent, Starlit, Perfect answer. BTW, Cover Girl is one of my favorite films and I love the songs particularly "Long Ago And Far Away" by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II, however, "Make Way For Tomorrow" is a great musical number and so infectious you can't help but remember it and start singing or humming the tune. One of Rita's best musical films.

"C'est magnifique", Star, it's your turn.

• Like 1

Thanks, Marsha.  Cover Girl is one of my favorites, too.

Do you recognize these lyrics?

I believe in fairy tales 

I believe in Santa Claus 

I believe that dreams come true 

I do because

Name the song, movie and who sang it.

Thanks, Star. I believe these lyrics are from the song "I Believe (In Wishing Wells) sung by Frank Sinatra in "It Happened in Brooklyn".

Sorry, Marsha.  I can understand why you would think that it's I Believe from It Happened in Brooklyn.  I can't think of those lyrics right off the top of my head right now, but they're probably pretty similar.  No, this is a completely different song from an early 40's technicolor musical that was not made at MGM.

In my mind's ear I can hear Betty Grable singing this song. I get all those Grable titles mixed up. Is it "You Started Something" from MOON OVER MIAMI?

Your ear is hearing correctly, Lonesome!  Betty Grable did indeed sing, as well as dance to this song along with the Condos Brothers.  It was written by Ralph Rainger and Leo Robin and the movie was Moon Over Miami.  Here's a recording of it, this time sung by Peggy Mann:

Your thread, Lonesome. 

Identify:

There was Mermaid Minnie, met her down in Madagascar

She would kiss me, any time that I would ask her

Then one evening her flame of love blew out

Blow me down and pick me up!

She swapped me for a trout

......Again, apologies if I've ever used this one (like I remember )

Hi, Lonesome,

This is a delightful song "A Whale Of A Tale" from Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" sung by Kirk Douglas in one of his most ingratiating film roles.

• Like 1

Fantastic, MarshaKatz! This ridiculously catchy seafaring ditty was written by Al Hoffman and Norman Gimbel for 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, but can also be heard in FINDING NEMO when the school of fish does the impression of a pirate ship. Enjoy the original clip:

Back to you, MarshaKatz!

Thanks, Lonesome, for posting the film clip of Kirk Douglas singing "Whale Of A Tale" and the background info on "Finding Nemo".

Next:  This song is a jazz standard which was written in the middle 1950's by a composer/pianist as an instrumental for his album. Soon thereafter the tune was given lyrics by an American lyricist who is considered one of the finest writers of popular songs from the 1920's through 1950's and is especially known for his lyrics to songs in movies. The song was recorded by a popular singer and released on a 1959 album and became the singers signature song.  The song was used in the title of a movie which was the first film directed by a legendary actor/filmmaker.

Name the song. Name the composer/pianist and the lyricist. Name the popular singer who recorded the song for an album released in 1959 and which became his signature song. And finally name the movie title and its first-time director.

I'm guessing that the song is Beyond the Sea, which was recorded by Bobby Darin and became his signature song.  Not sure about the composer & lyricist, but the names Lawrence and Trenet come to mind.  The movie would be Beyond the Sea, which Kevin Spacey directed and starred in.

Very good guess, starliteyes, however, Beyond The Sea is not the song I'm looking for, nor is Kevin Spacey, the actor/director.

Hint:  The singer who recorded this song, which became his signature, is the reason why so many thousands of teenagers like myself started buying record albums resulting in many of them receiving gold and platinum status.

Thanks, Lonesome, for posting the film clip of Kirk Douglas singing "Whale Of A Tale" and the background info on "Finding Nemo".

Next: This song is a jazz standard which was written in the middle 1950's by a composer/pianist as an instrumental for his album. Soon thereafter the tune was given lyrics by an American lyricist who is considered one of the finest writers of popular songs from the 1920's through 1950's and is especially known for his lyrics to songs in movies. The song was recorded by a popular singer and released on a 1959 album and became the singers signature song. The song was used in the title of a movie which was the first film directed by a legendary actor/filmmaker.

Name the song. Name the composer/pianist and the lyricist. Name the popular singer who recorded the song for an album released in 1959 and which became his signature song. And finally name the movie title and its first-time director.

This question is right down my alley. The Greatest Hits of Johnny Mathis is just about my best playing CD these days. So I'm going to guess it's Misty by Johnny Mathis - - 1959 album. Erroll Garner is the great jazz pianist who wrote the music and Johnny Burke wrote thr lyrics sometime later. Then really some time later, Clint Eastwood had his first movie as a director, Play Misty For Me, 1971.

Marsha, it's great to have somebody remember our favorite music.

This question is right down my alley. The Greatest Hits of Johnny Mathis is just about my best playing CD these days. So I'm going to guess it's Misty by Johnny Mathis - - 1959 album. Erroll Garner is the great jazz pianist who wrote the music and Johnny Burke wrote thr lyrics sometime later. Then really some time later, Clint Eastwood had his first movie as a director, Play Misty For Me, 1971.

Marsha, it's great to have somebody remember our favorite music.

Princess, you've nailed it!  "Misty" is one of the great jazz standards and without a doubt Johnny Mathis' (who is celebrating 60 years in his amazing career) recording of "Misty" is sheer genius. I think my collection of Mathis albums equals my Sinatra album collection. I mean to say CD collection, but I still say albums and Johnny Mathis, as I mentioned previously, is responsible for thousands of teens like me in the 1950's purchasing albums instead of the 45 RPM singles. I wish I could post Johnny singing "Misty", but since I cannot I'll just say "Look at me. I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree. And I feel like I'm clinging to a cloud. I can't understand I get Misty, holding your hand."

Great job. Princess. The thread is yours.

Marsha-- Thanks for the question.

Miles - - Thanks for Johnny.

Next--

The song was written by a famous French composer of popular music in the 20th century. The number has been used in several American films and it is the title of one American film, a bio-pic.