allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

Is it "Beyond The Sea"?

Marsha-- have to thank Star for reminding me about this number.

I was living in France when the composer Charles Trenet died. He was one of the most popular singing, composing and acting performers of 20th century France.

French people were always reminding me that Beyond the Sea was not an American song--that it was a French song.LOL

Marsha, "La Mer" is correct. Your turn--

Thanks, Princess, for the background information regarding French composer/singer/actor Charles Trenet and his composition "La Mer" for which Jack Lawrence wrote the lyrics in 1946 and voila we have the contemporary pop romantic love song "Beyond The Sea" which became a huge hit by Bobby Darin from his 1959 album "That's All". The song is heard throughout the film "Every Girl Should Be Married" starring Cary Grant in one of his most delightful performances. 

Next:  This song, written by a famous composer and lyricist, is used in a 1932 movie musical sequence in which it is first sung by the lead actor who plays a tailor, then sung by various other characters and finally sung by the lead actress who plays a princess.

This popular song has been used in several movies and is featured prominently in a romantic comedy recently shown on TCM.

Name the song, the composer and lyricist, the 1932 movie and the lead actor and actress who sing this song.  Bonus points for naming the romantic comedy recently shown on TCM in which this song is prominently featured.

That would be Isn't It Romantic?, written by Rodger &s Hart, for Love Me Tonight.  The tailor is played by Maurice Chevalier and the princess is Jeanette MacDonald.  The song is also featured prominently in Sabrina, and I think I read somewhere that Billy Wilder has used it in several other movies for financial reasons.

That would be Isn't It Romantic?, written by Rodger &s Hart, for Love Me Tonight.  The tailor is played by Maurice Chevalier and the princess is Jeanette MacDonald.  The song is also featured prominently in Sabrina, and I think I read somewhere that Billy Wilder has used it in several other movies for financial reasons.

You're absolutely correct, Star. And Billy Wilder had said of himself when referring to the song "Isn't It Romantic", "I'm cheap." Wilder had gotten a great deal when he originally licensed the song for use, allowing him to use the song over and over in his films, such as "Sabrina" and "A Foreign Affair". Excellent job. It's your turn.

Thank you, Marsha.

A famous composer wrote a song for a famous star to sing in an early 1940’s musical.  However, the lyrics were never heard because the song ended up as an instrumental that the two stars of the film danced to in a normal fashion.  The male star of the film did record it the same year that the movie came out and, while not particularly well-known, it has been recorded by others, most notably Ella Fitzgerald and Mel Torme.  Here are a few lyrics:

When day is done

And night comes on

Until the dawn

What do I do?

I clasp your hand

And wander through slumberland

Can you name the song, the composer, the movie and the stars?

Thank you, Marsha.

A famous composer wrote a song for a famous star to sing in an early 1940’s musical.  However, the lyrics were never heard because the song ended up as an instrumental that the two stars of the film danced to in a normal fashion.  The male star of the film did record it the same year that the movie came out and, while not particularly well-known, it has been recorded by others, most notably Ella Fitzgerald and Mel Torme.  Here are a few lyrics:

When day is done

And night comes on

Until the dawn

What do I do?

I clasp your hand

And wander through slumberland

Can you name the song, the composer, the movie and the stars?

Star,

The song is Dream Dancing written by Cole Porter for the movie You'll Never Get Rich starring Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth.

Thanks, Star.

This three-word title song comes from a 1923 Broadway show which was a musical farce in two acts that was ignored by critics but loved by the public and became "the hit show" of the 1923-1924 Broadway season.  This song, which contributed to the musical's success, became the biggest hit from any Broadway musical during that 1923-1924 season. The song was recorded by Paul Whiteman as an instrumental in 1924 and by Frank Sinatra in 1953. The song was prominently featured in a movie directed by Billy Wilder which was recently aired on TCM.

Name the song, name the 1923 Broadway musical, and name the Billy Wilder film in which it is prominently featured.

I don't think anyone's going to get this..I looked at a list of all 1923 openings and the only one I recognized as having a Billy Wilder connection was Runnin' Wild..doesn't fit other clues..

I don't think anyone's going to get this..I looked at a list of all 1923 openings and the only one I recognized as having a Billy Wilder connection was Runnin' Wild..doesn't fit other clues..

shutoo - you've got the Billy Wilder connection right. The song is "I Love You" which was featured prominently in "Stalag 17". The song  was the biggest Broadway hit of the 1923-1924 season from the show "Little Jessie James" a musical farce starring Nan Halperin as Jessie Jamieson and Miriam Hopkins as Juliet, which became the biggest hit of the 1923/24 Broadway season.

shutoo, the thread is yours if you want it since you came up with the Billy Wilder connection.

Well, I really didn't get it...but here's a catchy song I like:

This song wasn't written for a play, but specifically for a 30s musical film to be sung by a man who wasn't best known for his voice. He recorded the tune, as have many others over the years..and it gained a new audience when it was used during the opening credits of a 90s sitcom.

Can you name the tune, the film and the actor who sang it. .and the TV show?

The film star who sang the song was best known for his dancing, but his leading lady wasn't

OK, I think I've finally got it.  Is it "Nice Work If You Can Get It", which was sung by Fred Astaire in A Damsel in Distress?  This song was also used as the theme song for the TV sitcom Cybill.  Cybill Shepherd sang the theme song. 

"And you can get it if you try"

That's it, Azure! The song was written by George and Ira Gershwin

Your thread!

Thanks, Shutoo. 

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

Don't bury me in this prairie
Take me where the cement grows

This song was originally written for a 1940s comedy film.  It was also used in the sequel of the film.  It was later sung briefly during a party scene in a 1950s Billy Wilder film.  The melody was sometimes used as a "character theme song" for an actress in a 1960s sitcom.  (A "character theme" is a melody that is played when a character enters a scene.)

Please name the song, the movie that it was introduced in (and its sequel), and the 1950s Billy Wilder movie.  Bonus points for naming the 1960s sitcom and the name of the character. 

Could that be "Buttons and Bows" by Livingston & Evans? Bob Hope sang ity in both PALEFACE and SON OF PALEFACE, then it was heard at the young people's New Years party in Billy Wilder's SUNSET BLVD. Not sure about the sitcom though. :)

Could that be "Buttons and Bows" by Livingston & Evans? Bob Hope sang ity in both PALEFACE and SON OF PALEFACE, then it was heard at the young people's New Years party in Billy Wilder's SUNSET BLVD. Not sure about the sitcom though. :)

You're right on the money, Lonesome!  Great job.  The melody for "Buttons and Bows" was used as the character theme for "Wrangler Jane" on F Troop

Here's Bob Hope singing the song in The Paleface.

OK, the thread's all yours, LP.

• Like 1

Happy 4th, all! This song comes to mind today:

He's obnoxious and disliked, did you know that?

I hadn't heard!

Hint: 4th of July musical...

Can't say I know the title of the song, but it sounds as though it comes from 1776.

It totally does, and since it's been 2 days, you can have this one. This is my favorite song from 1776 called "But Mr Adams" in which John Adams works his way through the entire Declaration Committee til it's obvious Jefferson is the only one suitable to write the Declaration. The joke being that Adams calls himself "obnoxious and disliked" over and over. Here's the audio (couldn't find a good video version, but I'm sure the whole movie is on Watch TCM):

Back to you, starliteyes!

Don't know where I'm at

Never lost my way like this before

How did I get here

So near to Heaven's door?

Never saw those stars

Never felt this strange new bliss before

Wonder what can be

Happening to me

The words above are the introductory lyrics to what song, from what movie and sung by who?

Movie is from the mid-40's.