allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

I had to laugh, Miles, at that frozen frame that has Deanna's face covered by a tree branch, but that is the song and the thread is yours.

Thanks.  These next lyrics may be a bit dated.  It's doubtful that they would be used today.

Honey child, I really ought to scold ya
You'll have your mammy old and grey
Pickaninny, when it's time ta scold ya
I just hold ya in my lovin' arms and say

The next line contains the title of the song.  Can you name the song, the movie it was featured in, and the singer?

The name of the song, in short, is:

That is, of course, the one and only Shirley Temple singing it and it's from Poor Little Rich Girl

Oh my goodness, Starlit.  You certainly know your Shirley Temple movies.  Here is the longer version.

Now you get to go next.

Well, I think you should know by now, Miles, that I know my Shirley Temple songs - but then you're no slouch in that department either!

Now let's try these lyrics:

Rich men, poor men, beggar men, thieves

Feel the way I do

Because each one of them believes

He'll find somebody like you

Song, movie and singer please.

Well, I think you should know by now, Miles, that I know my Shirley Temple songs - but then you're no slouch in that department either!

Now let's try these lyrics:

Rich men, poor men, beggar men, thieves

Feel the way I do

Because each one of them believes

He'll find somebody like you

Song, movie and singer please.

Not even one guess?  Okay, here's a few more lyrics:

For love and laughter

For love and laughter I'd give all that I possess

Don't you know the only name for happiness

Is love, love, love?

Is it "It's Love I'm After", which was sung by Judy Garland in Pigskin Parade?

Thanks, Star.

Next:  Do you recognize these lyrics?

Don't be forgetting we've got a date

Out where the sun goes down about eight

This song was sung in a Billy Wilder film.  I also noticed that the instrumental version of the song was played during a scene in a recently-shown 1940s musical.   

Please name the song and the Billy Wilder film. 

Bonus points for naming the 1940s musical (Note: The song doesn't appear on the film's IMDB page.)

The song is an old one called "Down Among The Sheltering Palms".  It is played by Sweet Sue's band in "Some Like It Hot".  It is also the title song of a 1953 musical with Mitzi Gaynor and William Lundigan.  I don't know the musical where it was background music, but I will guess that it might be "Take Me Out To The Ball Game".  It was probably played when Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra arrived in Florida for Spring training.

Here is a soundtrack recording from "Some Like It Hot".

The song is an old one called "Down Among The Sheltering Palms".  It is played by Sweet Sue's band in "Some Like It Hot".  It is also the title song of a 1953 musical with Mitzi Gaynor and William Lundigan.  I don't know the musical where it was background music, but I will guess that it might be "Take Me Out To The Ball Game".  It was probably played when Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra arrived in Florida for Spring training.

Yes, that's correct.  Your answer to the bonus question is also correct.  Good job, Miles.  Your turn. 

Thanks.  "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" was a pure guess.  Now, we all know that Judy Garland sang "Zing Went the Strings Of My Heart" in "Listen Darling".  Bing Crosby also sang a song with the word "Zing" in the title.  Can you name that song and the movie where he sang it?  He had a little help from his leading lady.

I believe this is the answer you are looking for, Miles.  From Just for You, here are Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman to Zing a Little Zong just for you. (Forgive the repetition, but I couldn't resist.)

Here are the introductory lyrics to a song:

Turn off that charm

I'm through with love for awhile

I'm through and yet

You have a fabulous smile

And here are a few more lyrics in the refrain:

I had a feeling when I met you

You'd drive me crazy if I let you

This lovely song, written by one of the great composers of the American songbook, was introduced in a movie that  is remembered mainly for being the screen debut of a famous comedy team.

Name the song, movie, composer and comedy team if you like.

The song is "Remind Me" from the 1940 film "One Night In The Tropics".  It was written by Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields, and sung in the film by Peggy Moran.  The movie marked the big screen debut of Abbott and Costello.  Here is a version by Ella Fitzgerald:

You are completely right, Miles, and I would expect no less of you.  I actually have that Ella Fitzgerald recording, although I haven't played it in quite awhile.

You have the floor, Miles.

Thanks.  A Broadway musical was adapted for the screen and the original composer and lyricist were given screen credit.  However, the composer decided to add a song that he had written for another show that had flopped.  He brought in other lyricists to help rewrite the lyrics and the song was included in the movie.  The new lyricists also contributed lyrics to several other songs in the film.  Can you name the show and the song that was added for the movie version?  Can you name the composer and all those lyricists?  It was a 1930's show and movie.  

I think this might be the song in question:

It's I Won't Dance of course and the movie is Roberta, adapted from the Broadway show.  Jerome Kern wrote it originally for a show called Three Sisters and the original lyrics were written by Oscar Hammerstein and Otto Harbach.  The revised lyrics for the movie were written by Dorothy Fields and Jimmy McHugh.

You got it, Starlit.  Of course, "I Won't Dance" was also performed in the Kern biopic "Till The Clouds Roll By", as well as the "Roberta" remake, "Lovely To Look At", which was just shown on TCM yesterday.  Starliteyes, you are up next.

This question is similar to our last one.  A Broadway composer and his lyricist had a hit musical that was later adapted for the screen.  One of the songs had been written by that same composer for another show  some years earlier, but with another lyricist.  It had been taken out of the original show.  The new lyricist had no problems in giving full credit to the original lyricist for that song.  It became the signature song of the singer who performed it in the show.  Do you know the song, the show, and the songwriters?