allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

Well, you may have rhythm, lavender, but can you shimmy like your sister Kate? "I've Got Rhythm" was from the Broadway show "Girl Crazy". When MGM did the movie version in 1943, "I've Got Rhythm" was a major production number with Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, and a whole lot of dancers in western garb. Strangely. Jimmy Dorsey and his orchestra were featured in "I Dood It" on TCM earlier today. The movie had a production number where Eleanor Powell did a lariat twirling, lasso throwing dance with a group of western clad dancers. Your turn, lavender.

Hate to be a stickler on this--But for the book, you didn't get the correct answer.

Ira Gershwin was very particular about his lyrics.

When he wrote "S'Wonderful"--he wouldn't accept It"s Wonderful.

And later when he wrote the lyrics for "Girl Crazy"--the song that Ethel Merman introduced--that made her a Broadway star-was "I Got Rhythm".

This is important because that's the American jazz vernacular that Ira was using.

FYI--Ethel was accompanied on the piano by Roger Edens. He was the man who guided and mentored Judy Garland at M-G-M. And, by the way, he arranged Judy's version of "I Got Rhythm" for the screen version of "Girl Crazy".

As a tap dancer, Gene Kelly utilized the number the describe tap dancing, American jazz dance, to the children of Paris in *An American In Paris*.

Now that we've stopped Ira Gershwin from rolling in his grave,

Miss Dilly, Dilly, it's all yours!

2 pop songs sung by Sinatra and many others--

"Watch What Happens" and "My Way"

What do they have in common?

Both songs originated from France..."Watch What Happens" was composed by Michel Legrand and "My Way" is based on a French song "Comme d'habitude" composed by Claude Fran?ois and Jacques Revaux...before it was revised by Paul Anka.

Edited by: mudskipper on Jan 9, 2011 12:16 AM

Vous avez raison,

Both songs were hits in France with Fre composers and lyrics.

American lyricists wrote new lyrics and they became new hits in the US.

FYI--Paul Anka, just wrote the English lyrics to my way; he didn't compose the music.

Monsieur MudSkippker--

C'est A vous!

Merci, Mlle. Cujas...

Next, an easy one...Provide the next line, the song title, the movie, and the classical composer:

"And when s/he speaks and when s/he talks to me,

Music! Mystery!

And when s/he moves And when s/he walks with me,

Paradise comes suddenly near.

All that can stir, All that can stun,

All that's for the heart's lifting

Imagine these in one perfect one..."

Edited by: mudskipper on Jan 12, 2011 7:36 PM

I just love Borodin...Here's a clip from Alfred Drake, Doretta Morrow, and Henry Calvin (right, Zorro's Sgt. Garcia...):

and for those interested, here's a beautiful rendition of the 3rd movement (or Nocturne) from his String Quartet in D-Minor :

Your thread, Six.

Edited by: mudskipper on Jan 13, 2011 10:55 PM

..."She took one look at me and she cried he he he he he, he

What else could he be but a jester.

A jester...a jester...a funny idea, a jester..."

"The Maladjusted Jester" from "The Court Jester" as sung by the one and only Danny Kaye...

What do you mean probably? That was his best movie...

Now, this western musical from 1955, based on a Greek play, featured a female balladeer who sang this song. The rest of the cast, including the leads were non-singers and were dubbed:

"How lonely can I get without your loving arms?

How lonely can I get when you're away?

As lonely as a poor forsaken whippoorwill

That sings his little heart out on a distant hill..."

I don't expect anyone to know the next line, but name the singer, the song, and the title of the movie...It's all in IMDB.

How lonely can my pillow get when I don't sleep,

I walk the floor each night that you're away.

Those are the next lines to "How Lonely Can I Get?", which was sung by pop singer Kitty Kallen in "The Second Greatest Sex".

That's great, Miles...The mournful Kitty Kallen is right...I thought that question would last just a little bit longer...Did you get that from memory or did you do a little research? ... " The Second Greatest Sex" is correct and none of the other performers are really singers.... Here's a clip of the song:

Your turn, buddy...

Thanks, Muddy. I must admit that I had to do a little looking to come up with that answer. I have a big band record album with Kitty Kallen singing "I'm Beginning To See The Light" with Harry James and his orchestra. Her biggest hits in the fifties were "Little Things Mean A Lot" and "Chapel In The Moonlight". Now here's one you may not be familiar with:

But a girl who works in a laundry,

Has a dream lover all of her own.

A lover unseen, whose love she keeps clean,

With water and soap, and a washing machine.

Oh, she loves to launder his linen,

Ev'ry collar and shirt is adored,

And she loves all the stitches,

In his flannel britches,

The next line is the title of the song. It was performed in a production number by a well known actress in a well received musical, and no, it wasn't a "SOAP OPERA". Can you name the song, movie, and actress?

"The Girl At The Ironing Board"--is from Busby Berkeley's *Dames*.

It's a result of one of those tough WB work codes--

Joan Blondell sang and danced this song vigorously behind the ironing board, even though she was quite pregnant at the time.

Metro also put Judy behind the ironing board singing "Look For the Silver Lining" in *Till the Clouds Roll By*. Of course, Judy was pregnant at the time with Liza.

Edited by: cujas on Jan 18, 2011 5:27 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jan 18, 2011 5:28 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jan 18, 2011 5:31 PM

You are correct, cujas, The laundry on the clothesline "comes to life", and dances as well. This number is not as famous or as spectacular as most of Berkely's were. You really know your musicals, cujas. Now, it's your turn.

When Vernon Castle (Fred Astaire) first met Irene (Ginger Rogers) in *The Vernon and Irene Castle Story*, you could hear a song being sung and played in the backkground. It is a standard now; do you know this song?

Edited by: cujas on Jan 18, 2011 5:45 PM

The day that Vernon met Irene they were at a place of amusement and a male quartet was singing.

The first song was before Vernon saw Irene and a second song just as the met.

You can give us either or both songs--they're what Grandma used to call old favorites.