allaboutlana

Do You Know This Song?

2,703 posts in this topic

Time for another hint:

The movie is about baseball.  The song I am asking about is sung on a bus taking the team to the next stop.

The movie is "Bull Durham".  The song is "Try a Little Tenderness".  Tim Robbins sings the incorrect lyrics before Kevin Costner interrupts and corrects him.  The actress is Susan Sarandon.  Here is a short clip.

• Like 1

That is a correct answer, Azure.  Actually there are two correct answers.  In "Born To Dance", the cast appeared in another production number where Frances Langford and Buddy Ebsen were featured.  Here is a clip, with music by Cole Porter:

It's called "Hey, Babe, Hey!".  The clip only has the last part of the number.  

Azure, it's your turn now.

Thanks, Miles.

Next:  This should be pretty easy.  Do you recognize these lyrics?

My head keeps spinning
I go to sleep and keep grinning
If this is just the beginning,
My life is gonna be beautiful

After its first recording, the original singer performed this song in a film.  Please name the song, the singer and the film. 

Thanks, Miles.

Next:  This should be pretty easy.  Do you recognize these lyrics?

My head keeps spinning

I go to sleep and keep grinning

If this is just the beginning,

My life is gonna be beautiful

After its first recording, the original singer performed this song in a film.  Please name the song, the singer and the film. 

This is Dean Martin song :

Ain't Love a Kick in the Head.

He sang in in Ocean's Eleven

This is Dean Martin song :

Ain't Love a Kick in the Head.

He sang in in Ocean's Eleven

Yes, that's correct.  Good job, GPF.  Your turn.

Thanks, Azure.

Next question:

This song was written for an epic without any lyrics to it.  It eventually had words added to it and became a standard love song.

It mentions the time of year.

It has two titles:  The first three words OR a reference to a female character.

Identify:

I see cannibals munchin'

A missionary luncheon

The years may have flown

But the memory stays

Like the hopes that were dashed

When the stock market crashed...

... song, movie, & singer please :)

Thanks.  Here are some lyrics to a well known song.  Can you name it, as well as the movie it was featured in, and the performers?

The moment that you speak
I want to go and play hide and seek
I wanna go and bounce the moon
Just like a toy balloon

I thought this came from a movie called as young as you feel - - that I saw a couple years ago on DVD. Of course, we're talking about You Make Me Feel So Young - hit by Frank Sinatra.

Wiki says it was written for three little girls in blue - - by Mack Gordon and

Josef Myrow-- sung by Vera-Ellen which makes no difference because she never sang anyway-- she was always dubbed.

Anyway the song belongs to Frank.

PS-- do you know if there's a video of Jerry Lewis singing those were the good ol Days?

It is, of course, "You Make Me Feel So Young"  Vera-Ellen did the dancing, but her voice was indeed dubbed, this time by Carol Stewart, in "Three Little Girls In Blue" (1946).  Here is a clip:

This was a pre-anorexic Vera-Ellen.

There is a very poor quality clip of Jerry Lewis singing "Those Were The Good Old Days".  It's practically unwatchable, but here it is:

You're up, Princess.

It is, of course, "You Make Me Feel So Young" Vera-Ellen did the dancing, but her voice was indeed dubbed, this time by Carol Stewart, in "Three Little Girls In Blue" (1946). Here is a clip:

This was a pre-anorexic Vera-Ellen.

There is a very poor quality clip of Jerry Lewis singing "Those Were The Good Old Days". It's practically unwatchable, but here it is:

You're up, Princess.

You're Wonderful, Miles! Or as Gene Kelly would say in An American in Paris--Formidable!

Fred Astaire (with a little assist by Ginger Rogers), Roberta, Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein.  The song is I won't Dance.  It was also sung and danced to by Marge and Gower Champion in the remake of Roberta called called Lovely to Look At, as wellas by Lucille Bremer and Van Johnson in the Jerome Kern biopic, Till the Clouds Roll By.  Here's a clip of the Fred Astaire version:

• Like 1

Star-- one technical point about this song lyric

Oscar Hammerstein wrote the original lyrics for the Broadway show. For the Fred Astaire movie Dorothy Fields wrote her own lyrics especially for Astaire.

And Dorothy and Jerome Kern would later go on to write Swing Time together.

Both sets of lyrics are quite good.

Now I'll take somebody's lyrics from the song and say merci beaucoup--

Star your turn--

Just a quick note before Star posts.  "I Won't Dance" was not in the original Broadway run of "Roberta", which had songs by Jerome Kern and Otto Harbach.  Kern and Oscar Hammerstein had written it for a 1934 show in London called "Three Sisters".  That show flopped and when Roberta was sold to RKO in 1935, Kern hired Dorothy Fields to rewrite the lyrics for "I Won't Dance" and included it in the movie.  Jimmy McHugh also helped with the lyrics.  They also wrote the song "Lovely To Look At" for the movie.  When Ginger Rogers played Countess Schwarenka in the film, complete with accent, she was imitating Polish actress Lyda Roberti, who had done the role on Broadway.

It's still Star's turn.     

Miles, next you'll be telling us that Bob Hope played the part on Broadway and also presented it in a TV special.

One last bitter note about Roberta- - I never got to see it until it came out on VHS in the 1980s. When Metro bought the rights and made Lovely to Look at, they made sure that none of us would get to see the original Roberta on TV.

I used to call it the Lost Astaire and Rogers Musical.

They used to show it at revival theaters in Paris, but somehow I missed that one too.

Star-- it's still your turn!

This song was featured prominently in a very famous film noir.  Here are a couple of lines from it:

I have always placed you far above me

I just can't believe that you love me

Name the song and the movie.