Sign in to follow this  
markbeckuaf

Hope TCM comes out with more Pre-Code Archives!

12 posts in this topic

I have 2 of the volumes, still have yet to get the first one, but the two I have are awesome! One is a solid Wild Bill Wellman set, the other is absolutely fantastic with a couple of great commentaries on THE DIVORCEE and NIGHT NURSE. Hope that they'll produce more of these sets, I prefer them to the on-demand stuff from the WB Archives--better pricing for one thing! And more extras!

The Universal set's pretty good:

The Cheat (with Tallulah!)

Merrily We Go to Hell

Hot Saturday

Torch Singer (Claudette's camping it up on the children's radio show as Aunt Jenny, then her face as she realizes her daughter may be listening is a very nice subtle piece of acting)

Murder at the Vanities (near naked chorines and a song to the joys of marijuana)

Search for Beauty

i only want one film on the next pre-code box set, it is: Mata Hari in its original format, uncut, uncensored and Garbo at her most beautiful, and Novarro, he too is gorgeous, give the TCM people this wonderful gift for the coming year, thank you!

Uncut and uncensored Mata Hari which pushed the buttons and forced the Hays Code......please give us this film.............................................................

Is there actually an uncut and uncensored version of Mata Hari out there somewhere? If so, who restored it? Has it ever been shown anywhere? Where did they find the missing footage?

> {quote:title=midnight08 wrote:}{quote}

> Is there actually an uncut and uncensored version of Mata Hari out there somewhere? If so, who restored it? Has it ever been shown anywhere? Where did they find the missing footage?

It was found in an archive in Belgium, and Time Warner is working with the archive to repatriate it.

That was a couple of years ago, but I don't know what kind of red tape would be involved in getting it back (or at least a copy of it).

> {quote:title=HomesoulM wrote:}{quote}

> What is your wish list for the third or fourth set of Forbidden Hollywood flicks?

Gosh where do I begin??!! There was a great one the other day, JUST A GIGOLO, and how about SAFE IN HELL? There are just so many possibilities! I'd love to see them just keep cranking these out in affordable box sets!

I hope so too, I really love these sets! I definitely have a soft spot for Pre-Codes and I love seeing how different they are from studio to studio.

It would be nice if Universal put out a set of their pre-code films. They did a nice job releasing some of the Paramount pre-codes in their library, but how about a few from their own, like NIGHT WORLD, AFRAID TO TALK, just to name a couple of titles.

YES, THE UNCUT UNCENSORED MATA HAIR WAS SHOWN RECENTLY (LAST YEAR) IN BRUSSELS, BEGIUM...IT SEEMS THAT THE US LIBRARY OF CONGRESS DECLARED IT TOO RACEY FOR SHOWING, WHEN IT WAS RE-RELEASED BY MGM IN 1936 AFTER THE PRODUCTION CODE WAS PUT INTO PLACE, THE ORIGINAL UNCUT UNCENSORED VERSION WAS MADE OF COURSE IN 1931-32-----THERE ARE STILL PHOTOS OF THE CUT OUT VERSION, SOME OF WHICH SHOW GARBO IN A MOST REVEALING OUTFIT! I WISH A NEW BOX SET OF PRECODES WOULD COME IT WITH THIS VERSION, AS IT WAS INTENDED TO BE SHOWN, SO THE TCM SAYING GOES!