Sign in to follow this  
waynemcdowell

one I'd like to see on TCM...

2 posts in this topic

...a movie that very seldom shows up on any of the movie channels is the 1955 Kirk Douglas movie, "The Racers" co-starring Lee J. Cobb, Gilbert Roland, Cesar Romero and Bella Davi...As a movie, it is no great deal, but you remember the movies also offer historical windows into their respective eras, then it is pretty interesting, since this is a look at European professional road racing, (sports and grand prix cars) in the early 1950s...This was a time of no flame proof uniforms (the great English driver Sir Stirling Moss often raced in a knit 'polo' shirt, Fangio and Ascari wore tee-shirts), no seat belts, no fuel cell gas tanks, and no run off areas on the tracks. You go off the road at Spa and you hit a telephone pole or a stone building...at the Nubergring, you hit a tree. Ascari once broke through the barrier at Monaco and wound up in the Mediterranean Sea!

The Racers and the 1967 Grand Prix show the danger of the racing profession of those days. And I, for one, would like to see it. How about it, TCM?

I've seen it on Fox Movie Channel and the races were bizarre like you said with no safety measures. Hope you get to see it sometime if you have the channel.