Sign in to follow this  
beastooge

March Schedule Is Posted

67 posts in this topic

Looks like another good month. Jean Harlow must be star of the month, some great precodes too; SAFE IN HELL (1931), TEN CENTS A DANCE (1931), LONELY WIVES (1931), KISS ME AGAIN (1931)-does this one survive in 2 color technicolor?, Two rarely shown Richard Dix talkies, HELL'S HIGHWAY (1932) and ROAR OF THE DRAGON (1932). Some neat films to celebrate Gregory LaCava's birthday on 3/10 including the wild precode HALF NAKED TRUTH (1932).

Lots more fun stuff. Thanks TCM!! :D

*Hot Spell from 1958 starring Shirley Booth, Anthony Quinn, Shirley MacLaine, Earl Holliman and Eileen Heckart. TCM has not shown it in years. I say they should...arguments?*

Edited by: The_Destroyer on Dec 17, 2010 12:41 AM

*LONELY WIVES* is a huge surprise. Don't know if it's ever been on TCM before or not? Patsy Ruth Miller, Esther Ralston, and Laura La Plante all in the same movie. Plus Edward Everett Horten as a Romeo! Can it be? Even bigger news, finally the return of *NOAH'S ARK* after many years!

*Martin Scorsese's great documentary Italianamerican!!!* - Now that made my night!

*Some of my choice highlights:*

Federico Fellini's Ginger and Fred

John Ford's Wagon Master

Douglas Sirk's Imitation of Life

A night of Joan of Arc films including:

Otto Preminger's Saint Joan

Carl Th. Dreyer's Passion

Robert Bresson's The Trial of Joan of Arc

Budd Boetticher's The Tall T

More silent William Wellman as well as the pre-codes

More Jean-Luc Godard (unfortunately no post 70s films though)

Max Ophuls' Caught

Yasujiro Ozu's Good Morning

Joseph Losey's Accident

Michael Curtiz' Noah's Ark

Roberto Rossellini's Open City

Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows

And much more to enjoy this month. A great schedule.

Edit: It appears that Restaurant (1965) is the Andy Warhol film. I've yet to see a Warhol film so this will be interesting.

Edited by: JonasEB on Dec 17, 2010 4:41 AM

THE PROJECTIONIST starring Chuck McCann!

And Columbia's START CHEERING with Jimmy Durante and the Stooges.

"The Story of Mankind" may be among the worst movies ever but if you are curious to see a film that has Hedy Lamarr and the Marx Brothers (though not together) then you can chalk one up for being curious.

Also a new Jean Arthur picture for me, "Public Menace." And for good measure a late Laurel and Hardy feature, "Air Raid Wardens." Not great but it has been years since I've seen it. Besides you never know who is going to make a little cameo. ("Great Guns" had a short appearance by Alan Ladd before anyone knew who Alan Ladd was. "The Dancing Masters' brought along a young Robert Mitchum.)

Jean 's 100th birthday is March 3. Also a new book will be out Called Harlow In Hollywood by Darrell Rooney and Mark Vieira.

Great schedule! There are a lot of Jean's films I have not seen (including Dinner at Eight, I know shame on me). So I am really looking forward to her as SOTM.

I also see a night of Rouben Mamoulian films, *very cool!* Although I do sort of wish they had included Applause.

I am also looking forward to that Scorsese documentary and the Night of Joan of Arc films.

edit: And also these two films Yay!

Max Ophuls' Caughtn (I have been dying to see this)

Yasujiro Ozu's Good Morning (always happy about seeing more Ozu)

I also definitely will be watching Barrymore's version of Jekyll & Hyde. Another film I have been meaning to see. Thanks so much TCM.

Edited by: Kinokima on Dec 17, 2010 9:52 AM

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> Looks like another good month. Jean Harlow must be star of the month.

>

I was hoping that when Jean Harlow became Star of the Month that TCM would arrange to finally show her 1931 Fox feature GOLDIE.

But no, I guess not yet...

*"The Story of Mankind" may be among the worst movies ever but if you are curious to see a film that has Hedy Lamarr and the Marx Brothers (though not together) then you can chalk one up for being curious."* - movieman1975

I noticed that title too! And the name "Irwin Allen" as director so I knew it had to be "good" - in that "Irwin Allen" sort of way. It would be interesting to see an early "all-star disaster" from the "master".

And Ali McGraw is getting some "Underground" exposure! Convoy! Ay, Carumba! THAT'S a "big rig overturned on the 405" if there ever was one.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > Looks like another good month. Jean Harlow must be star of the month.

> >

> I was hoping that when Jean Harlow bacame Star of the Month that TCM would arrange to finally show her 1931 Fox feature GOLDIE. But no, I guess not yet...

Either GOLDIE or IRON MAN (1931) would have been nice, but I realize that they have no control over these films. Who knows, maybe some time in the near future...

*"Now that's what I'm talkin' about."* - PrinceSaliano

Wow. PS's "Good Programming Seal Of Approval". I never thought I'd see it! In fact, I wasn't sure it even existed.

Seriously, I am very happy for you. And for MarkBeckuaf - who is gonna flip over the line-up on the 29th.

Kyle In Hollywood

I also had been wishing, hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that TCM would show either Goldie or Iron Man in honor of Jean's centennial. But I agree that TCM has no control over these two films and I'll keep on wishing, hoping and keeping my fingers crossed. TCM has been showing more Fox movies lately so I believe there's hope that Goldie might be shown some day. Goldie seems to be the rarest and most elusive of Jean's films as it's not available anywhere. It's a shame since it has been restored and it is out there. Fox doesn't seem to care as they've never shown it on their movie channel.

We have to keep in mind that this is a Time-Warner cable channel. That means WB classics, MGM classics & RKO classics. Anything else they lease is extra. And they usually get their extras in this order: Lionsgate (Republic); Sony (Columbia); Universal/Paramount; Studio Canal (Rank Organisation); and miscellaneous public domain.

If you want more Paramount classics, you have to watch Flix (though that is mainly 'classics' from the 60s and 70s). If you want Fox classics, go to FMC. If you want Universal oaters, you can find some on the Encore Western channel. Plus, there are other places that show uninterrupted classic films like the rest of the Encore channels; HBO Signature and various MAX channels.

I am pretty happy with what TCM shows overall (and the March schedule is fantastic to me) but for what they don't show I use Netflix and my local library. :)

I don't have any of those other channels you mentioned MFF.

I don't have the MAX channels and I have been considering it because they seem to show a lot of the Fox musicals that do not air on FMC.

I also use Netflix and the public library (including the inter-library loan system).

I agree that TCM does do a fairly good job in selecting a variety of films, across genres. But my one beef with them is that, as I have illustrated in my 'Seldom Seen' threads, they have a lot of MGM, WB and RKO titles they are not getting to...I really want them to create TCM sister channels. This should include a desperately needed TCM silent film channel.

The thing about sister channels is they are usually only available on Upper Tier cable packages.

I can barely afford my cable package to just get TCM. So I would rather they keep things like Silents and Foreign Classics on TCM instead of creating a new channel. :)

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> I don't have the MAX channels and I have been considering it because they seem to show a lot of the Fox musicals that do not air on FMC.

>

> I also use Netflix and the public library (including the inter-library loan system).

>

> I agree that TCM does do a fairly good job in selecting a variety of films, across genres. But my one beef with them is that, as I have illustrated in my 'Seldom Seen' threads, they have a lot of MGM, WB and RKO titles they are not getting to...I really want them to create TCM sister channels. This should include a desperately needed TCM silent film channel.

While I don't think a TCM silent film channel would sell, I do think a TCM International film channel would be perfect. This channel could also include foreign made SILENT films as well.

Problem I have is that TCM is avoiding some of the RKO/WB classics in favor of who knows what. Example: when is the last time they showed any of The Falcon series? They are only 60-70 minutes long so they can fit in anywhere.

BTW, we do not watch any silent or foreign language films. Never have, never will.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> We have to keep in mind that this is a Time-Warner cable channel. That means WB classics, MGM classics & RKO classics. Anything else they lease is extra. And they usually get their extras in this order: Lionsgate (Republic); Sony (Columbia); Universal/Paramount; Studio Canal (Rank Organisation); and miscellaneous public domain.

Actually, it's been established many times that TCM has to lease *every* movie they show.

But who am I to argue with you, since you obviously know everything and know better than everybody else how TCM should be run....