[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
TCMaddict

Laurel & Hardy Marathon

5 posts in this topic

The premieres are mostly grouped together Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon. Here is a list but for the time in your area you should go to the TCM schedule on the site.

Thicker Than Water

Going Bye-Bye

Oliver The Eighth

Dirty Work

Busy Bodies

The Midnight Patrol

Twice Two

Below Zero

The Hoose Gow

They Go Boom

Perfect Day

Men 'O War

Berth Marks

Unaccustomed As We Are

Come Clean

Any Old Port

I don't know whether TCM counted the 24 hours of shorts individually, but I suspect at least 15 of these gems have not appeared on TCM before. Few of their feature films matched the comedy of their best shorts. I have everything lined up to record them, and recommend all Laurel and Hardy fans do the same. It is simply scandalous that neither TCM nor anyone else offers a high-quality DVD region 1 version of these classics. Amazon shows only a British (region 2 PAL) compilation which appears to include all their films, including the forgettable later features. One review of that compilation says that Hallmark is sitting on the region 1 rights but has done nothing to issue a set. The only other collections Amazon shows are on VHS, and for the most part those are out of stock or ridiculously high-priced because out of print. I hope the fan community can do something to change this deplorable situation. It's also regrettable that TCM is not showing some of the best silent Laurel and Hardy shorts, such as "Big Business" and "Double Whoopee."

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 9:06 AM, nitratefiend said:

I don't know whether TCM counted the 24 hours of shorts individually, but I suspect at least 15 of these gems have not appeared on TCM before. Few of their feature films matched the comedy of their best shorts. I have everything lined up to record them, and recommend all Laurel and Hardy fans do the same. It is simply scandalous that neither TCM nor anyone else offers a high-quality DVD region 1 version of these classics. Amazon shows only a British (region 2 PAL) compilation which appears to include all their films, including the forgettable later features. One review of that compilation says that Hallmark is sitting on the region 1 rights but has done nothing to issue a set. The only other collections Amazon shows are on VHS, and for the most part those are out of stock or ridiculously high-priced because out of print. I hope the fan community can do something to change this deplorable situation. It's also regrettable that TCM is not showing some of the best silent Laurel and Hardy shorts, such as "Big Business" and "Double Whoopee."

I've seen "Big business", "Double whopper", and many others on YouTube recently. My favorites are "Come clean" with the suicidal girl who screams and chases them while their wives send them out for ice cream, "Laughing gravy" with them and the dog and the shocking ending with the landlord, the one where Laurel and Hardy go play golf, meet those girls, and end up in a big mud fight, "Oliver the eighth" with the mistriss who plans on cutting their throats and the hilarious scene with them eating an invisible dinner, and "We faw down" with them cheating on their wives and the hilarious ending with the wives chasing them with a shotgun and a bunch of guys jumping out the windows and running, which is about the funniest ending of all Laurel and Hardy's pictures.