fxreyman

LISTS

1,563 posts in this topic

> :D Sadly, it's the opposite. I like romance now. I had no patience for that about five or so years ago.

>

That's good! You're even watching Wyler. :D

> I've always been very boyish. I never really had mature tastes. That's now changed. I now like films that make me feel and think, the most.

>

I know what you mean. I used to watch more "fluff" myself. I still like my fluffies, but I'm less addicted to them. Now I prefer to get my fluff from television series.

> That's wonderful. :) Film noir protagonists are usually selfish and chasing something other than love, although they believe what they are pursuing is love.

I know, I was just thinking about what is the difference between a broken heart in a drama and in a film noir.

That's good! You're even watching Wyler. :D

I know. Horrible. :P Actually, I like him. He tells a nice, tight story.

I know what you mean. I used to watch more "fluff" myself. I still like my fluffies, but I'm less addicted to them. Now I prefer to get my fluff from television series.

I still like my boyish favorites but my interests today are more serious. I definitely have my fluff stuff that I will turn to, such as cartoons.

I know, I was just thinking about what is the difference between a broken heart in a drama and in a film noir.

You explained it quite nicely.

Lists... well, I don't have anything against lists, really. They can be fun, and interesting. But, they also take a lot of time, effort, thought, even research. My guesstimate of how many film titles I have, between VHS, SVHS, LD and DVD is 4,000+. So, I'll just make a couple of very short lists:

Best neo-noir Busby Berkeley western of all time: *The Big Lebowski*.

Film currently unavailable in a quality DVD release that I would most like to have: Ken Russell's *The Devils*.

Maybe if I get ambitious later, I'll try and list my favorite directors, probably 40 or so... :)

My "fluff" movies are:

1. Top Secret!

2. Better Off Dead

3. The Naked Gun

4. Smokey and the Bandit

5. Strange Brew

6. Caddyshack

7. One Crazy Summer

8. Batman

9. Fletch

10. Airplane!

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> My "fluff" movies are:

>

> 1. Top Secret!

> 2. Better Off Dead

> 3. The Naked Gun

> 4. Smokey and the Bandit

> 5. Strange Brew

> 6. Caddyshack

> 7. One Crazy Summer

> 8. Batman

> 9. Fletch

> 10. Airplane!

I've never seen any of those all the way through.

Nice list MissG!

Here are some quotes and lines of dialogue from my favorite BIG GUY.................

True Grit:

Rooster Cogburn: "You do and it'll be the biggest mistake you ever made you Texas brushpopper."

Rooster: "I never shot nobody I didn't have to."

Rooster: "I'm giving you my children's rates."

Rooster: "Mr. Rat, I have a writ here says you're to stop eating Chin Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now it's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of the same. See, doesn't pay any attention to me."

Chen Lee: "Outside is place for shooting!"

Rooster: "I'm servin' some papers!"

Rooster: "When's the last time you saw Ned Pepper?"

Quincy: "I don't remember any Ned Pepper."

Rooster: "Short feisty fella, nervous and quick, got a messed-up lower lip."

Quincy: "That don't bring nobody to mind. A funny lip?"

Rooster: "Wasn't always like that, I shot him in it."

Quincy: "In the lower lip? What was you aiming at?"

Rooster: "His upper lip."

Lawyer Goudy: "I believe you testified that you backed away from old man Wharton?"

Rooster: "Yes, sir."

Lawyer Goudy: "Which direction were you going?"

Rooster: "Backward. I always go backward when I'm backin' away."

Rooster: "Any man who packs a big bore Sharps carbine could come in mighty handy, if we're attacked by buffalo... or elephants."

McLintock!:

George Washington McLintock: "Don't say its a fine morning or I'll shoot ya."

McLintock: "I may save you the trouble."

McLintock: "I can't help this stupid look."

McLintock: ?I haven?t lost my temper in 40 years; but, Pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble this morning; might have got somebody killed; and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won?t. I won?t. The hell I won?t!? ?

Big Jake:

Jacob McCandles: "Now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all..... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault..... it don't matter..... I'm going to blow your head off. It's as simple as that."

McCandles: "Not hardly."

Chisum:

John Simpson Chisum: "Those are my animals!"

Neemo: "There must be some mistake here."

Chisum: "You made it."

Neemo: Ah, Chisum. If you want these horses, I sell them to you..... Did you bring some gold with you?"

Chisum: "No."

Neemo: "Silver?"

Chisum: "No. Just lead."

Justice J.B. Wilson: "Mr. Murphy. Just how much of Lincoln County are you after?"

Lawrence Murphy: "Well, Mr. Chisum came out here several years ago, put his name on everything he could. I've only been here a little while. Just getting started. Do you have anything to say to that, Mr. Chisum?"

Chisum: "Well I don't favor talking to vermin, but I'll talk to you just this once. You're not just getting started. The line's been drawn. What Billy did balanced the books so far. But if one of your men cross my land or even touch one of my cows, or do anything to that store, I'm not going to the sheriff, the governor, or the president of the United States. I'm coming to see you."

Lawrence Murphy: "Hmph. Mr. Chisum, that sounds like a threat."

Chisum: (John Chisum belts Murphy, knocking him down with his right fist) "Wrong word. FACT!"

James Pepper: "Would you like to hear my opinion, Mr. John Simpson Chisum?"

Chisum: "Nope."

Pepper: "Well, my opinion is all this speechifying, storekeeping, prayer-meeting don't amount to spit in the river. There's only one thing that's going to make this territory know who's bull of the woods... and sometime or sooner it's going to happen."

Chisum: "Do I?"

Pepper: "You do. It's just going to be you and Murphy, head-to-head and horn-to-horn... and one hell of a fight. But one of you has got to lose, so the other one walks away with the herd and the whole shebang. Now, that's my opinion."

Chisum: "(lighting the sergeant's cigar) Sergeant, there's one thing I oughtta tell you; if you lay a hand on White Buffalo again, I'll kill ya'.

In Harm's Way:

Nurse Lt. Maggie Haynes: "How do admirals feel about nurses?"

Rear Adm. Rockwell Torrey: "The same way captains did."

Commander Egan Powell: "Rock.... In the morning. What's it like? Ahhhh, a surface battle?"

Torrey: "Like any other battle I guess. Maybe a little noisier."

Powell: "I'm so scared, my bones are clicking. Like dice, on a Reno craps table. I should be back in Hollywood sitting in front of a typewriter making all of this up for a movie..... Not living it!"

Torrey: "All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be someplace else.

Powell: "Does that include admirals?

Torrey: "Yes.

Torrey: "A fast ship going in harm's way - a lousy situation, Commander Eddington."

Maggie Haynes: Hey, that's quite a knife you carry.

Captain Rockwell Torrey: "Yeah. Can opener, screwdriver, punch, straight blade - even a skinning blade."

Haynes: "Oh, that is useful. What do you skin?"

Torrey: "Lieutenant nurses who pull my leg."

Rio Bravo:

Sheriff John T. Chance; "Sorry don't get it done, Dude."

Chance: "You wear those things and I'll arrest you."

Fort Apache:

Captain York: "Colonel Thursday, I gave my word to Cochise. No man is going to make a liar out of me, sir."

Red River:

Thomas Dunsun: "You're soft! Won't anything make a man out of you?"

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon:

Captain Nathan Brittles: "You remember Miles Kehoe. Happy-go-lucky Irishman..... who used to waltz so well with you."

Rio Grande:

Captain Kirby Yorke: "Put out of your mind any romantic ideas that it's a way of glory. It's a life of suffering and hardship, an uncompromising devotion to your oath and your duty."

The Searchers:

Ethan Edwards: "What do you want me to do? Draw you a picture? Spell it out? Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me more."

Ethan: "We'll find 'em just as sure as the turning of the earth."

Ethan: "Let's go home, Debbie."

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance:

Tom Doniphon: "Liberty Valance is the toughest man south of the picket wire..... next to me."

The Green Berets:

Colonel Mike Kirby: "Out here due process is a bullet."

The Shootist:

John Bernard Books: "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

The Train Robbers:

The Pinkerton Man: "Her name is Lilly, with two "L's." Matt Lowe was never married. Better luck next time!"

Jesse: "Lilly."

Grady: "With two "L's."

Jesse: "One of 'um must stand for "liar.""

Grady and Jesse look around for Lane.

Grady: "Where you goin'? (To Lane who is now starting to ride away)

Lane: "Where the hell do you suppose? To rob a train!"

Jesse: "Rob a train?"

Grady: "It's something to do!"

The Cowboys:

Wil Andersen: "Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight!"

Wil: "I'm thirty years older than you are. I had my back broke once, amd my hip twice. And on my worst day I could beat the hell out of you."

Anse Petersen: "Did you ever think of hiring boys?"

Wil: "What boys?"

Anse: "School boys."

Wil: "Oh sure and women. How about my ma in Cedar City. She's only ninety two."

Anse: "Well you ain't got a lot of choice."

Wil: "There ain't a kid in that school over fifteen. They're between hay and grass. I need men."

Anse: "How old was you when you went on your first cattle drive?"

Wil: "What difference does that make?"

Anse: "How old was you, Wil?"

Wil: "Well, in my day..... "

Anse: "How old Wil?"

Wil: "Thirteen! But my old man's pants fit me!"

Frankie,

So, I finally got my research done as far as my 621 films were concerned with a breakdown by genre. This genre list combines several sub genres into one major genre area.

Drama 156

Westerns 92

Comedy 90

Action / Adventure / War 88

Thriller / Horror 50

Fantasy / Sci-fi 44

Crime / Noir 39

Biography / Historical 30

Musical 21

Sports 7

Animation 4

So as you can see, Dramas rule the day in my collection. Followed closely by westerns, comedy, and the action/adventure/war genres. I thought for sure that I would have a great many more westerns and war films. My war films totaled just 39. Some of the war films fell under Biography / Historical and drama breakdowns.

Very good, Rey!

Yeah, it does look like dramas are the kind of films you like most in the "contemporary," particularly from the 80s forward. Westerns pretty much disappeared from the landscape during this time, while the war films switched to Vietnam.

Boy, I could use someone like those Duke characters around in a tough spot! Terrific recall on those lines, Rey. No one else could say some of those lines and sound half so convincing, I might add.

Rey, Happy New Year to you and yours!

Your film library speaks to me in so many ways. I share similiar tastes; i.e. the '40's Mummy series; MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, LOCAL HERO, John Sayles, just to mention a few examples.

Love the Duke quotes!

I thought about making a "Guilty Pleasures" List. SUSAN SLADE and various Mexican horror movies immediately come to mind.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 9, 2011 9:29 PM

I went through my list of movies I own on DVD or VHS and noticed that I tend to get on "kicks" about certain stars or directors. These are the actors/directors I seem to have the most of:

Hitchcock: 35

Katharine Hepburn:20 plus 3 w/Cary Grant and 6 w/ Spencer Tracy

Dietrich: 21

Bette Davis: 18

Spencer Tracy: 11 (including w/ Hepburn)

Cary Grant: 7 plus 3 w/ Hepburn, 1 w/ Dietrich, 2 w/ Mae West and 4 Hitchcocks

Loy/Powell: 13 plus 2 Myrna Loy and 5 William Powell

George Cukor:16

Billy Wilder: 10

William Wellman:9

Howard Hawks:8

W S VanDyke: 6

Mitchell Leisen: 5

Speaking of lists, I received the book 501 Must See Movies for Christmas last year and have been working my way through it, just to see if I can. (I am up to about 311 at the moment.) Here's a link to the list:

http://www.rinkworks.com/checklist/list.cgi?u=bringtherain&U=sirdizzy&p=501mustseemovies

What do you all think of this list?

My Favorite Actresses:

1. Gloria Grahame

2. Gene Tierney

3. Linda Darnell

4. Barbara Stanwyck

5. Grace Kelly

6. Joan Bennett

7. Ingrid Bergman

8. Kim Novak

9. Ava Gardner

10. Maureen O'Hara

11. Deborah Kerr

12. Rita Hayworth

13. Madeleine Carroll

14. Claire Trevor

15. Myrna Loy

16. Jean Arthur

17. Carole Lombard

18. Vivien Leigh

19. Marilyn Monroe

20. Marlene Dietrich

21. Thelma Ritter

22. Veronica Lake

23. Ida Lupino

24. Vera Miles

25. Janet Leigh

26. Gail Russell

27. Teresa Wright

28. Claudia Cardinale

29. Cathy O'Donnell

30. Louise Brooks

31. Lauren Bacall

32. Katharine Hepburn

33. Bette Davis

34. Simone Simon

35. Sylvia Sidney

36. Jennifer Jones

37. Carroll Baker

38. Miriam Hopkins

39. Shirley MacLaine

40. Shelley Winters

41. Joan Fontaine

42. Jean Simmons

43. Marie Windsor

44. Esther Howard

45. Elsa Lanchester

46. Barbara Bel Geddes

47. Ethel Barrymore

48. Olivia de Havilland

49. Audrey Totter

50. Lizabeth Scott

Wow, I can't believe Janet Leigh came in above Gail Russell! I thought Gail ranked higher, too.

And I am surprised to see Lauren, Katharine and Bette even in your top 40.

Wow, I can't believe Janet Leigh came in above Gail Russell! I thought Gail ranked higher, too.

I'm attracted to Gail more but Janet has characters I'm more drawn to. Her "Eugenie" in The Manchurian Candidate is one that really sways me. I also like Janet's "young mother" characters. Seeing her in Holiday Affair woke me up to her, again.

And I am surprised to see Lauren, Katharine and Bette even in your top 40.

I've only seen Lauren with Bogie and I've really liked her as his "baby."

I'm actually a pretty big Kate fan. I like her in most everything but prefer her in the 30s and early-40s. I watched The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby for the first time in the past year or so and I really enjoyed Kate, particularly in the latter.

I also like Bette, quite a bit. I like her "soft and vulnerable" characters the most, which is counter to what most people like best about Bette.

>

> I'm attracted to Gail more but Janet has characters I'm more drawn to. Her "Eugenie" in The Manchurian Candidate is one that really sways me. I also like Janet's "young mother" characters. Seeing her in Holiday Affair woke me up to her, again.

>

I love her in *The Manchurian Candidate* and *Holiday Affair*. Those are my two favorites, but she's always good. And what a beautiful figure she always had. I like her look in *Holiday Affair* the best, it's so soft and feminine.

To think the first movie I saw her in was *The Fog*. :D

> I've only seen Lauren with Bogie and I've really liked her as his "baby."

>

I like her best in those films. She's not as exciting to me elsewhere.

> I'm actually a pretty big Kate fan. I like her in most everything but prefer her in the 30s and early-40s. I watched The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby for the first time in the past year or so and I really enjoyed Kate, particularly in the latter.

>

I wonder what you'll think of *Summertime*. That's my favorite "Kate".

> I also like Bette, quite a bit. I like her "soft and vulnerable" characters the most, which is counter to what most people like best about Bette.

I like those, too, though I do enjoy a few of her spunkier roles like *Dark Victory* and *All About Eve*.

I love her in The Manchurian Candidate and Holiday Affair. Those are my two favorites, but she's always good. And what a beautiful figure she always had. I like her look in Holiday Affair the best, it's so soft and feminine.

What I've seen of Janet is a lot of deferring. Did she ever play a more prominent role?

And, yes, she certainly does have a lovely figure. I'll show some restraint in posting a Psycho cap or two. :)

To think the first movie I saw her in was The Fog. :D

It's the same for me.

I like her best in those films. She's not as exciting to me elsewhere.

That's my fear with Lauren.

I wonder what you'll think of Summertime. That's my favorite "Kate".

I'm worried about that one because I fear it's a woman's picture. Why? The male lead. And I'm not sure how I'd take Kate in a romantic role in the 60s.

I like those, too, though I do enjoy a few of her spunkier roles like Dark Victory and All About Eve.

I'm not a fan of All About Eve. That one wore on me. I've yet to see Dark Victory.

> What I've seen of Janet is a lot of deferring. Did she ever play a more prominent role?

>

Maybe in a musical or comedy, but she was never a diva that I know of.

> I wonder what you'll think of Summertime. That's my favorite "Kate".

>

> I'm worried about that one because I fear it's a woman's picture. Why? The male lead. And I'm not sure how I'd take Kate in a romantic role in the 60s.

>

Don't worry. It's David Lean.

> I'm not a fan of All About Eve. That one wore on me. I've yet to see Dark Victory.

DV is probably too "soapy" for you, but it's a nice mix of Bette being soft and spirited. And then there's Bogie with an Irish accent! :D

Maybe in a musical or comedy, but she was never a diva that I know of.

Yeah, I can't see Janet playing such a character. She always seems to be the supportive-type. It's quite interesting for a woman who was also on the sexy side.

Don't worry. It's David Lean.

That worries me!

DV is probably too "soapy" for you, but it's a nice mix of Bette being soft and spirited. And then there's Bogie with an Irish accent!

It sounds like a wreck!

> That worries me!

>

Why? He's a great director! Try *Brief Encounter*.

> DV is probably too "soapy" for you, but it's a nice mix of Bette being soft and spirited. And then there's Bogie with an Irish accent!

>

> It sounds like a wreck!

:D Don't you like the idea of a spoiled party girl changing into a sweet, supporting wifeling?

Why? He's a great director! Try Brief Encounter.

In time. I have a feeling I'll like that one.

Don't you like the idea of a spoiled party girl changing into a sweet, supporting wifeling?

It almost sounds like you! But you would be a spoiled party girl who becomes a spoiled, selfish wife!

Your description of the film does appeal to me.

I enjoy your lists. I would have a hard time making one in that fine an order. One thing we can certainly agree on is that Joan Crawford isn't on my list either. Though Jean Arthur would be fairly high on mine.

I give you credit for being so organized on these lists.