Sign in to follow this  
gwtwbooklover

I just saw S.O.B.

8 posts in this topic

What a delight. I was wanting to post about this movie and ask if there are other movies like it. I mean with my favorite classic movie stars in roles older, funnier, in roles different than ones I had previously seen them. Like William Holden I had already seen him in Network, The Towering Inferno and this movie, his last role, as Culley the director. It's Robert Preston that I especially would like to brag, gush and marvel about. He played a doctor, Dr. Finegarten who is just a little to free wheeling with his drugs, an incredible wit and his character has some of the best lines of the movie. Yes, this is the movie where Julie Andrews shows her boobies but this movie is more than this a tour de comic force by Richard Mulligan, an understated performance by Holden and I laughed so much I almost had to pee performance by Robert Webber( if you watch the movie you'll know what I mean), Loretta Swit screams lots (which I've heard her do on MASH but this was peppered with blue language and not aimed at Hawkeye which was refreshing), and Larry Hagman not acting at all like J.R. Ewing or Major Nelson. I had moved it up my list on Netflix when Blake Edwards died (he was the director) and I believed he wrote it also. Back to Robert Preston I only know him from The Music Man and I can't watch it and How the West was Won which I love, I especially like the scenes between him and Debbie Reynolds. I have always loved his voice, the clip of his voice where the words just tumble effortlessly out of his mouth. No one sounds like Robert Preston. Blake Edwards had such a sharp wit and incredible talent. If you haven't seen it see it and if you have please share your impressions and your suggestions to movies with classic stars where they shine. I intend to get Victor/Victoria since Preston is in this soon.

Speaking of roles or different roles how about Debbie Reynolds as Grace's mom on Will and Grace? I know, I know, that shows is so off the air but I only discovered it when it started airing on Lifetime some years back.

gwt, you might also like "10" (yes, really) because of a sensitive Robert Webber performance. And Julie is in that one, too. Dudley Moore is excellent, as are Brian Dennehy and Dee Wallace in small but well-written parts. Yep, its another Blake Edwards film.

S.O.B. also had a person you missed mentioning, whose career was just starting out: Rosanna Arquette.

And if you like Holden in older roles, rent "Breezy" (an early film directed by Clint Eastwood). It also has a heartwarming performance by newcomer Kay Lenz.

How can you not watch The Music Man???!!!! I love that movie! You will love Victor/Victoria,another comedy from Blake Edwards with Julie Andrews and Roberrt Preston (he is very funny).

I have 10 on my list but I put it on after I read Dudley Moore's autobiography. Maybe I'll move it up when I add Victor/Victoria. Rosanna Arquette was listed on the Netflix envelope but I didn't realize how small the role was and almost didn't recognized her till she spoke. I like how the girls William Holden picks up changes his radio station when he gets out of the car. I wondered if they would but seeing it done just tickled me. However, I did like the music that Holden was listening to Sinatra and big band music. Plus, I thought was Richard Mulligan going to just stumble throughout that movie which was funny but I was starting to wonder then when he ...(you have to see the movie) but you'll need a sedative to watch him ACT, ACT, ACT. I also wondered now should I type this out loud was that Robert Preston's butt or a stunt butt? Most of all though I wonder about Holden's and Preston's thoughts about their later roles. These roles were so different from the ones they first played or the roles the studio assigned them to or the Hollywood they started out in first.

One of my very favorite films about Hollywood. The final sequence was based on a story that Raoul Walsh used to tell about stealing John Barrymore's body from the mortuary and propping it up in Errol Flynn's living room to frighten the Late Profile's good friend. Apocryphal, to be sure. But it's fun to listen to Walsh tell it nevertheless.

I would suggest a made-for-TV movie called "Finnegan Begin Again" (1985). Preston stars in a sweet love story with Sylvia Sidney as his wife and Mary Tyler Moore as his girlfriend. Very enjoyable!

One of my fave Blake Edwards movies....and when I originally saw it theatrically, I didn't care for it. It's wickedly funny...in fact, I think some of Blake's best films are the ones he did in the late 70's-80's, starting with "10" (which some consider to be his finest film....and it's also one of my two fave films of his, the other being Victor/Victoria).

"Oh hello, Polly...did you come to see my boobies?" :-)

Thank you guys for the info. I just loved it. I can still hear the scenes Preston does. He has lines with William Holden...Preston says to Holden's character-Marry me and Holden's says "I would only cheat on you" and Preston says "it's not cheating if you don't tell anyone'. Robert Preston to me just looked like he was enjoying himself, having a grand old time with his role.