Sign in to follow this  
garboloygrant

Your favorite decade fashions

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I started this new post to see what your favorite decade fashions are. I'm really into vintage clothing and I love the styles from the late 20's to early 60's. But if I had to pick a favorite it will have to be the 1940's look. I know some of you men out there are thinking "What a girlie subject". It's not! I love the suits that our favorite male actors wore in the 30's and 40's. I hope that this post will be as fun as the others :)

Well, I'm not much into nor do I know much about Fashion but I like the mid to late 50's for the women and the late 30's and early 40's for the men. Those typical hats the guys wore during that time were pretty cool. Too bad they don't wear them nowadays. I think that the women had better dresses and looked better back then in the movies too. That's my 2 cents worth on this subject:)

I guess I prefer the 1940s when I think of fashions especially on the gals at Warner Brothers including Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, Joan Crawford and Ida Lupino.

Then again there's Harlow in the 1930s.

Mongo

Like Vertigoman82, I am not much into fashion. But I will say that it's hard to pick just one era, because I like things from all periods of cinema. It is obvious that Hollywood has been a constant barometer of what is fashionable. Being a fan of films from the silent days to the present, it has been interesting to see fashion's evolution in the past century or so. It is also amusing to see that fashions that were popular just 20 years ago, now seem archaic (leg-warmers, designer jeans, etc).

I will say that the 1970's probably wrought some of the worst fashion choices of the 20th Century. Leisure suits, anyone?? Bead chokers, bell bottoms, pants of the plaid or corduroy variety, platform shoes, satin jackets, anything DISCO, anything tie-dyed, and a world of other dubious items.....How did we survive all of THAT??

For men's clothes, the '40s still look classic to me, and I too especially like the hats men wore in those days. BTW, if you look at just about anything Cary Grant ever wore in any decade, it was always perfect, at least for him.

For women, it's individual actresses' clothes style, (or seeming lack of it) that I remember, rather than a single decade. I really like the nonchalant, casually tailored looks that a few individuals wore in most of their roles. For example, take the clothes that Katharine Hepburn wore during her career--with a few discreet changes like the removal of some shoulder pads, those elegant, tailored rags could still be worn today--with style. Come to think of it, I think that someone like Ralph Lauren is still making them new today! Ingrid Bergman also wore comfortable-looking, barely noticeable clothes that never competed with her beauty or the subtlety of her performances. In another way, a Sophia Loren looks more stunning dressed simply than she ever does when given the whole gussied-up Hollywood treatment. Dressing her in a glamourous way seems like gilding the lily, to me.