71 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2002 at 1:06 PM, Guest lamarr, hedy said:

How do you all feel about AMC?

Lousy channel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darkblue said:

Lousy channel.

Movies edited to death! :angry:

IFC is OK but wish they drop the commercials.

I never got to know the old AMC. I was too young, and by the time my family started receiving it, it was October of 2002, and the channel had switched. I do remember though seeing a few classics in the daytime on that channel around 2007 like Charade, Move Over Darling, and The King and I. I wish they still showed things like that. At least TCM is still here, has never given into commercials, and is still cultivated for the love of best of classic film (and sometimes beyond)

26 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I never got to know the old AMC. I was too young, and by the time my family started receiving it, it was October of 2002, and the channel had switched. I do remember though seeing a few classics in the daytime on that channel around 2007 like Charade, Move Over Darling, and The King and I. I wish they still showed things like that. At least TCM is still here, has never given into commercials, and is still cultivated for the love of best of classic film (and sometimes beyond)

It use to be a lot like TCM. 

This is why it's IMPORTANT to save those old VHS tapes!

• Like 3

Welcome to the boards garovick.

I transferred the most important VHS material to DVD. If I try to copy everything, will wear out the DVD recorder by which is unfortunately no longer manufactured. Have 2 VHS/Combo units (one is Region code hackable).  Use my stand alone DVD recorder for just that - recording only from the Directv box.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

It use to be a lot like TCM. 

This is why it's IMPORTANT to save those old VHS tapes!

I still have an old vhs tape of KRONOS letterboxed from when AMC aired it.

Image result for kronos 1957 movie

16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Our house never sprang for Premium channels, so we never got to know AMC until the end, when it had to go commercial--
By that point, TCM had tied up everything from Warner, MGM, UA and RKO, which left the old channels with everything from Universal, Fox and Paramount.

And while "Backstory" alone was reason enough to watch--and provided Fox with some of its better DVD documentaries--by that point, the studio "starvation" was giving AMC the nickname of "The All-Jaws, Blues Brothers, and The Omen Channel".

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Our house never sprang for Premium channels, so we never got to know AMC until the end, when it had to go commercial--
By that point, TCM had tied up everything from Warner, MGM, UA and RKO, which left the old channels with everything from Universal, Fox and Paramount.

And while "Backstory" alone was reason enough to watch--and provided Fox with some of its better DVD documentaries--by that point, the studio "starvation" was giving AMC the nickname of "The All-Jaws, Blues Brothers, and The Omen Channel".

AMC was never a premium or higher-tier channel in my area, and was part of basic cable. I had it for several years before it started to mutate, and saw many good classics on it. It's amusing, as I can recall how many Universal, Fox, and Paramount movies were shown, and people complained about a lack of MGM, WB, RKO, etc. And then TCM came along with all of those, AMC started changing their programming, and now I often see complaints about a lack of Universal, Fox and Paramount titles being shown. 

By the way, TCM has always been on a higher tier of cable in my area. It's not a standalone subscription service like HBO, etc., but it has always required subscribing to the highest tier of channel packages. Which I've done since the channel first became available here circa 1998 or so.

All I can think about is this person who said they were 16 back in 2003 is 31 now. All this endless bumping of threads 15 years old or more that has been going on for months now is freaking me out. Sorta interesting to see what people were saying a generation ago, but don't the people on this board now have enough ideas of their own to generate?

• Sad 1

On 4/3/2018 at 12:08 AM, CinemaInternational said:

I missed out on the "Golden Age" of AMC too but I do remember them playing the Public Enemy once. That was pretty good.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:42 AM, sewhite2000 said:

All I can think about is this person who said they were 16 back in 2003 is 31 now. All this endless bumping of threads 15 years old or more that has been going on for months now is freaking me out. Sorta interesting to see what people were saying a generation ago, but don't the people on this board now have enough ideas of their own to generate?

I mentioned this earlier, but I bumped this thread along with a few others on Easter Sunday when we had 149 pages of undeleted SPAM take over the message boards for hours. I did this only to measure the speed with which the SPAM was appearing.

My favorite memory of AMC - I was packing up to take an open book test on Computer Graphics in graduate school in August 1992 - back when we had to do the math computations ourselves and when OpenGL was in the form of open source VOGL - and Palmy Days (1931) starring Eddie Cantor was on AMC. Specifically the number "There's Nothing Too Good For My Baby" was playing. It put me in such a cheerful and relaxed mood that I aced the final.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 9:42 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I was 18 in 2002 and now I'm 33.  It's kind of funny to see these threads from such a long time ago.  High School seems like such a distant memory.  

I used to watch AMC back when Bob Dorian used to host.  I remember watching Laurel & Hardy reruns with my dad on Saturday mornings.  I also remember Marx Brothers at some point.  I believe AMC used to show all the Marx Brothers movies on New Years Eve? 

I remember when TCM was in its infancy, back when they had the little symbols to identify the different genres on the schedule.  My parents always had the extended cable package, and TCM was available on there for a few years.  Eventually TCM moved up to a higher tier package and my parents were unwilling to move up to the next one.  I remember TCM being scrambled on my TV.  Remember the scrambled channels that still had the sound, it was just the picture that was messed up?

After I lost access to TCM, I rented a lot of movies from Hollywood Video and Blockbuster.  I was finally able to get TCM back about 10 years ago when I got my own apartment and my own satellite bill, lol. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I used to watch AMC back when Bob Dorian used to host.  I remember watching Laurel & Hardy reruns with my dad on Saturday mornings.  I also remember Marx Brothers at some point.  I believe AMC used to show all the Marx Brothers movies on New Years Eve? 

I remember somebody used to have an all-Marx New Year's Day marathon, but couldn't remember who.  While in Boston, New Year's Eve was by tradition reserved for the Three Stooges, on WSBK-38.

Both are traditions I still uphold, even without AMC, free-commercial TCM, or local channels to watch the Countdown.

I gave that post a "confused" reaction emoticon due to my NEVER not  having TCM included in any of the "basic" cable packages I've subscribed to over the years.

Anyway, I miss both AMCs....

both the cable MOVIE channel AND the automobile company. ;) 

Their MARLIN and AMX models did kick a lot of azz on the road! :D 

As far as the movie channel goes, I too, miss it's old days.  For a while, the ONLY channel on TV where you could see "classic" movies from the "golden era" at ANY time of day, and not just from 2-4am  on some local "late show" on weekends (which is where and when I DID see first many of the movies I can now see on TCM. ;)  )

Plus, I did enjoy their original production; "Remember WENN" about the old time radio station.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I gave that post a "confused" reaction emoticon due to my NEVER not  having TCM included in any of the "basic" cable packages I've subscribed to over the years.

Anyway, I miss both AMCs....

both the cable MOVIE channel AND the automobile company. ;) 

Their MARLIN and AMX models did kick a lot of azz on the road! :D 

As far as the movie channel goes, I too, miss it's old days.  For a while, the ONLY channel on TV where you could see "classic" movies from the "golden era" at ANY time of day, and not just from 2-4am  on some local "late show" on weekends (which is where and when I DID see first many of the movies I can now see on TCM. ;)  )

Plus, I did enjoy their original production; "Remember WENN" about the old time radio station.

Sepiatone

I didn’t have basic cable. We had an expanded cable package and it contained TCM. Eventually TCM moved to some premium cable package that my parents didn’t want to buy. 

I do remember “Remember Webb.”  I cannot recall any specific episodes. 

On 4/2/2018 at 7:09 PM, Arturo said:

Still miss classic AMC....sigh!

On the other hand, it has produced some very good series.  

Also, The Fox Movie Channel (FXM) has "classic" movies on from 3:00AM till 3:00PM (roughly) each night.  Without commercials or other interruptions.

When AMC began having commercials I called and complained.  Was told it was that or go out of business.  Then they started showing fewer movies and more other types of programming.  Bottom line - it's a business.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:42 AM, sewhite2000 said:

My opinion is that all threads should die after 24 months.  Or maybe just reduce them to the last 12 months if most recent post is within 6 months.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

My opinion is that all threads should die after 24 months.  Or maybe just reduce them to the last 12 months if most recent post is within 6 months.

MPO is that ALL of Our threads and Our posts should be retained in perpetuity!
I find it interesting when some of our "ancient" threads are bumped... Glad to know that they are all still there... And some read like little time capsules providing some insight into our past history and opinions.
When the "New Host" thread was bumped, I thought it was about current news, then discovered that some of the same whining we have recently heard was posted when Ben was "the new host" on TCM. Pretty insightful, I think.
Every now and then I like to stroll down memory lane and reread some of my own and others posts from way back when. Sometimes like to locate and refer back to them when the same topics repeat themselves.
Also like rereading some of those amusing dialogues with those that used to make me smile with their rants and who sadly are no longer around to enjoy anymore.
Our old posts and threads are like a journal or diary, whose pages I thought were all lost to us after the last "upgrade." I was very pleased to see that they are all (or mostly all) still there and recoverable. It would sadden me to see them disappear, even some of the "trashy" ones.
So long as they aren't hogging server memory space (which is one of the few things that becomes cheaper each year) then they do no harm, and can still provide some relevance and enjoyment for us.
But that is just MPO.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I do remember “Remember Webb.”  I cannot recall any specific episodes. 

:lol:

I only watched it until it got to the part where he brought his old "Dragnet" series back to TV in '67. ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:lol:

I only watched it until it got to the part where he brought his old "Dragnet" series back to TV in '67. ;) 

Sepiatone

Oops typo.  I know it was "Remember Wenn."  That's what I get for replying on my phone! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Oops typo.  I know it was "Remember Wenn."  That's what I get for replying on my phone! 

I loved Remember WENN. And hated when AMC cancelled it with unresolved plotlines.

Considering that AMC is currently known for its original programming, it is too bad it can't bring this one back in reruns (even at 2AM).

• Thanks 1

It's interesting that 15 years after its demise, so many people have such fond distinct memories of the old AMC. Do you think that "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" ever got anybody through chemo and cancer? That when a couple gets old they'll say to one another "Remember that Christmas Eve marathon of Walking Dead when the little boy had to shoot his dying mother in the head to keep her from becoming a zombie? Oh the memories!" I doubt it.

• Haha 1