Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

?Woman in the Dunes? Early Wed 2/9

5 posts in this topic

6:30 AM Eastern time, very early in the morning on Wed. Feb. 9.

I saw this once in 1964. I remember it being a weird surrealistic Felliniesque Japanese film, filled with symbolism. I think the main symbolic story line is that we are all trapped in our daily lives and we can?t get out, and our daily lives are rather boring.

Woman In The Dunes (1964)

A mysterious woman spends her time preventing her home from being swallowed by sand dunes.

Cast: Eiji Okada, Kyoko Kishida, Koji Mitsui, Hiroko Ito Dir: Hiroshi Teshigahara BW-147 mins, TV-MA

IMDB:

?An amateur entomologist searching for insects by the sea is trapped by local villagers into living with a mysterious woman who spends almost all her time preventing her home from being swallowed up by advancing sand dunes. The woman and the trapped man begin a strange and erotic relationship that stretches over years, as the man's hope for escape dims.?

6:30 AM Eastern time, very early in the morning on Wed. Feb. 9.

For fans of surrealistic Japanese films only. :)

Why is the Japanese guy an entomologist?

Because he wants to find a new type of insect and have it named after himself.

Why?

So he will never be forgotten.

Why is he in the dunes?

He?s looking for a new insect to name after himself.

Why is the lady in the dunes?

Nobody knows. Maybe you can figure it out.

Well, Fred, I guess we agree on something - it's a great film. I see it as a sort of inverse myth of Sisyphus, trying to get out of a hole, rather than to the mountain top. It's very enigmatic, and can't be made sense of literally, even if you accept the 'fact' of the continuously falling sand. I'm so glad that TCM is showing it. Originally, they had shown the 123m version on the schedule, but now they are listing the 147m director's cut. Very nice!

*Woman in the Dunes* is all the good things that have been said about it, but I feel as though I ought

to like it, rather than genuinely liking it. I know it's not supposed to be taken literally, but still, it makes me feel so damn claustrophobic, both physically and psychologically. It's depressing, and I remember being soo relieved when it was over.

Call me crazy, but I like Teshigara's other movies better.

The Face of Another, Pittfall, and his film on Gaudi were better in my opinion. Woman in the Dunes was a little overlong.

Maybe I'll give it another try and it'll change my view, because I really do like Teshigara and this is his most famous film.