Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

"BALL of FIRE" and other flames

45 posts in this topic

Yes, that's why I revived this thread -*Ball of Fire* is the 8:00 "Essential" tonight, as phroso has said.

Gene Krupa was an incredible drummer, and infuses all those swing bands he played in with an extra dose of excitement.

willbefree25 -

Before the upgrade, the picture displayed in the thread. Now try clicking using the link below

Hurrell_Stanwyck_BallOfFire

Hope it works for you.

Kyle In Hollywood

I just looked at today's schedule, and all film times are Pacific time. It never did that before. (I live in the East). What gives?

So, anybody catch *Ball of Fire* last night? So sweet and engaging, this is one of those classic comedies that is still funny today.

And surely nobody can complain about Alec's remarks on this one. His comments about both Cooper and Stanwyck were spot on, I thought.

*So, anybody catch Ball of Fire last night? So sweet and engaging, this is one of those classic comedies that is still funny today.*

*And surely nobody can complain about Alec's remarks on this one. His comments about both Cooper and Stanwyck were spot on, I thought.*

MsW,

I totally concur! *Ball of Fire* was terrific. The entire scene with the seven 'dwarfs' being held hostage by Dan Duryea is hysterical and the way they figure out how to get out of that mess!

And Alec had some great comments about Stanwyck and Coop. Seems he is major Stanwyck fan as is Robert O.

I'm enjoying *The Essentials* with the two of them!

Thanks for your take on the film, lynn. I've seen this film a few times now and do not tire of it. I think it has something to do with what Alec Baldwin said, that the casting of the lead characters was key to its success.

I cannot debate you about that, finance baby, since I have not seen *Heaven Can Wait*. I'm not sure I get the same PBS programming you do. Anyway, after Babs and Coop did ltheir thing, I stay tuned for *Crossfire*, a very good film, as you know.

(By the way - I looked up the Lubitsch film and did note that the only thing it had in common with the Warren Beatty 1970s film was the title.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 17, 2011 7:54 PM

Ok, before this thread floats off into thread limbo, I just wanted to say that this is one of the very few Gary Cooper films in which I actually like Gary Cooper. Sometimes less is more.

Was not able to catch "Ball of Fire" as I had unexpected company & had to turn the TV off just as it was beginning. Nuts! I do remember it though, loved it & agree with you abt Coop. He's not one of my favorites but was okay in this one.

"Big Noise..." was recorded in the late '30s. Bauduc was a "drummer's drummer" & there's nothing like the original. I just checked it out on Wiki & it was first recorded in 1938. The piece has gotten around through the years, changed a bit here & there, sometimes drawn out too long (another case where less is more). Check it out if you get a minute, I'm sure there's something on youtube.

By the way, Haggart & Bauduc were members of Bob Crosby's Bobcats, a great group.

Edited by: clearskies on Apr 18, 2011 11:02 AM

Really? Interesting. I like Ball Of Fire from beginning to end, and could hardly wait for Heaven Can Wait to end.

That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

this is one of the very few Gary Cooper films in which I actually like Gary Cooper.

Hoo boy, misswonderly, I couldn't agree with you more. The guy usually makes my teeth itch.

I've watched *Heaven Can Wait* many times and it always makes me cry.

*Ball Of Fire*--saw it once last month--so boring, had a hard time getting through it. But Allen Jenkins was very funny--thought the old codgers were boring and dated. The gangster angle was a bit cliched too. But, of course, the 2 Movie Stars shined throughout.

Less is more in THIS film? Cooper was ALWAYS "less is more". Nobody could accuse him of EVER chewing the scenery.

Edited by: finance on Apr 18, 2011 4:13 PM

*(By the way - I looked up the Lubitsch film and did note that the only thing it had in common with the Warren Beatty 1970s film was the title.)*

misswonderly, see my posting on the HEAVEN CAN WAIT thread in Hot Topics for a breakdown of the rather tangled sequence of titles/remakes on these films.

I watched *Ball of Fire* the other night on TCM, I had seen it before but it has been a while. Witty dialogue, tons of fun. Can't help but love the "Drum Boogie".

I like *Ball of Fire*, but I like the Howard Hawks/Danny Kaye version, *A Song is Born* just as much.