Sign in to follow this  
babydiapers

This is awful

194 posts in this topic

Why is TCM playing lord of the rings tonight?! I watch TCM to escape contemporary Hollywood bilge, not indulge in it!

If TCM persists in these sorts of unfortunate programming decisions, I will stop watching. I will also do my best to lobby my politicians to pull the plug on this folly.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Sigh, school's out again for the holiday and this troll is back under a new name.

It's worse than that. Many public school systems are off this coming week for winter break. So send in the clowns.

Today is my favorite day on the month, lots of great movies.

Captains Courageous (1937)

Old Man and the Sea, The (1958)

Westerner, The (1940)

Sergeant York (1941)

etc.

Where do people like you come from?

I mean you are aware that this is 31 Days of Oscar?

Before signing on here I am assuming you looked over the website? Maybe you watched a few films on TCM? Maybe you saw that every year TCM celebrates Oscar time with a salute to films either garnering Oscar nominations or winning Oscars?

Or are you someone who has posted here in the past as another poster who has either been banned from posting or just decided that one user name was not enough?

I am not trying to be mean, I just find it very difficult to understand why anyone would want to join a message board and say something like this before "looking around" at the website or watching films on the channel. Just curious.

If I am wrong about all of this please accept my apologies.

*I will also do my best to lobby my politicians to pull the plug on this folly.*

I dd a a spit take across the keyboard after reading that line.

You are in the middle of taking a drink of coffee. The coffee cup is touching your lips. Someone says something outrageous. Your reaction is, rather than swallowing the coffee, to spew it forth, hopefully all over somebody.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> What exactly is a "spit take" ? I'm serious, I don't know. (except it's not good...)

A spit-take is a reaction that happens when you are drinking something and somebody says or does something shocking that shocks you.

See the video here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/21/the-ultimate-movie-spitta_n_812174.html

Thank you, filmlover, that was very entertaining. Thanks also, finance, for your definition. I realize I did know what a "spit take" was, I've seen it hundreds of times in movies both new and old, I just didn't realize what it was called (guess I don't get out much.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 19, 2011 3:36 PM

"If TCM persists in these sorts of unfortunate programming decisions, I will stop watching." - *babydiapers*

Oh, pooh-pooh.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Kyle In Hollywood

yes, foxrayman, I get this is 31 days of Oscar (even though only 28 days in this month.) I do watch TCM. In fact, it is the only channel on television I will watch.

The Oscars started in 1929. I'll be charitable and extend the acceptable period of movies out to 1974. That means we've got 45 years of Oscar movies to focus on, and we don't need to go wading in the dreck of the post oil crisis world for more movies.

If I wanted to watch Lord of the GD rings, I'll watch TBS or AMC or some crap.

I want TMC to focus on the silent era, and the 30's through the early 60's (but mostly the 30's). Leave the CGI shittake for the 1000 other vacuous stations out there.

This isn't a difficult concept to understand, einsteins.

Ah, the Marie Osmond jokes. Knew they were coming soon as I saw the title.

Only beef I got with TCM showing Return of the King is that without the previous two LOTR films on before it, it will be (even) hard(er) to follow. It's not a bad movie, interminable yes, but not bad, and post-1990 films represent a very, very tiny portion of what airs on TCM per year.

I'm more annoyed that Gigi is on AGAIN, and PRIME TIME and a Saturday.

Snoozeville, baby, snoozzzzzzzzeville.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> See, Tracey, people actually DO do spit-takes in real life.

Guess so, if the provocation is great enough :)

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> Ah, the Marie Osmond jokes. Knew they were coming soon as I saw the title.

>

> Only beef I got with TCM showing Return of the King is that without the previous two LOTR films on before it, it will be (even) hard(er) to follow. It's not a bad movie, interminable yes, but not bad, and post-1990 films represent a very, very tiny portion of what airs on TCM per year.

>

> I'm more annoyed that Gigi is on AGAIN, and PRIME TIME and a Saturday.

>

> Snoozeville, baby, snoozzzzzzzzeville.

Gigi is just plain creepy.

> {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}>

> Gigi is just plain creepy.

Amen, I'll take a whole forest of Orcs and hellbeasts over Chevalier doing his "ah-hah-hah" schtick any day.

> {quote:title=babydiapers wrote:}{quote}

>

> I want TMC to focus on the silent era, and the 30's through the early 60's (but mostly the 30's). Leave the CGI shittake for the 1000 other vacuous stations out there.

>

> This isn't a difficult concept to understand, einsteins.

It apparently is a difficult concept for some of them to understand. :)

Welcome to the board. :)

finance wrote:

<< You are in the middle of taking a drink of coffee. The coffee cup is touching your lips. Someone says something outrageous. Your reaction is, rather than swallowing the coffee, to spew it forth, hopefully all over somebody. >>

This is why I took Rosies's advice and always keep this next to my keyboard, LOL! :)

1rosie_the_waitress2.jpg

PS Wait till Monday

128px-Padlock-blue.png

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 19, 2011 8:14 PM

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=traceyk65 wrote:}{quote}>

> > Gigi is just plain creepy.

>

>

> Amen, I'll take a whole forest of Orcs and hellbeasts over Chevalier doing his "ah-hah-hah" schtick any day.

I'm not surprised to see Gigi on tonight; Mr. Osborne seems to adore Maurice Chevalier and Leslie Caron. For a while I thought TCM was the Leslie Caron Network. He also seems to love Gene Kelly. At least, I see movies by these three stars shown a lot more, especially during his commentary slots, than most others.

I am surprised that Lord of the Rings is airing during Mr. Osborne's commentary slot. Since he doesn't seem to like action, science fiction, westerns, or fantasy (of the sword-and-sorcery variety) very much, he usually leaves these movies for Ben M. to do the commentary on. Yes, even though it's a premiere. Ben M. does do a fair number of TCM premieres, especially on Sundays. I am surprised Mr. Osborne is going to be doing commentary on it since it's not a musical, comedy, or drama. In fact, I'm surprised the TCM programmers have allowed this movie at all on their network.

I like the movie a lot (although the Ralph Bakshi LOTR is still my favorite even though Return of the King was not part of the LOTR films he made), but I must agree the Peter Jackson version seems awfully recently made to be shown on TCM already.