FilmAficionado

Game: Name the fictitious place, name the movie

789 posts in this topic

1932 MGM film; based on novel of same name.

Star became overnight sensation in this role.

Edited by: Leanox on Mar 15, 2011 2:48 PM

Yes, and as you may know, there is a town called Wappinger Falls, New York, but in "It's A Gift", W.C. Fields and his family lived in the ficticious town of Wappinger Falls, New Jersey. Your thread, finance.

*The Last Picture Show*

Next: Ochsner Clinic

Edited by: Leanox on Mar 16, 2011 3:23 PM

Is that the institution where Warren Beatty is a staffer and title character *Lilith* is a patient?

Is it the one in *One Flew Over The Cocoo's Nest* ?

Correct. I had some fun setting this one up:

(1) Turns out that in this context the term "spit" is used in the sense of a spur of land that juts out into a body of water. (Porpoise Spit is a coastal community.) That was not the first impression I got when I first ran across the term.

(2) A poster to the mivie's site commented that he got an image of a marine mammel roasting as it was turned over a fire. Well, that was not the first impression I got, either.

(3) I've lost track of this one, but I have read a comment by an Australian who visited the U.S. He met an American woman who comtemplated a visit Down Under. Wanted to know where Porpoise Spit was; wanted to visit the place. Puts me in mind of those tourists who go to Charleston, SC, and ask the tour guides to help them find Rhett Butler's grave.

Leanox's thread

Leanox, I think I know this one, but I'm going to stand down on this because I want more to participate. Its somewhere near Hogwarts, right?