Sign in to follow this  
edgeciff

TCM VAULT/WB ARCHIVES

83 posts in this topic

As an exclusive at TCM two Jeanette MacDonald-Nelson Eddy films have been announced for release on April 25: SWEETHEARTS and NAUGHTY MARIETTA. Not sure if this is a new series of forthcoming pressed discs that will be exclusive to TCM like the Universal & RKO series. Each disc lists for $29.95 but pre-orders are $19.95.

Another exclusive, this time with Critics Choice: THE GREAT CARUSO with Mario Lanza and Ann Blyth on March 15. Don't know whether this one is MOD or pressed disc.or what extras, if any are included. CC is expensive and they are asking $23.96 for sale price with a list of $29.95. Apparently WB are trying different ways to gauge the public with these overpriced discs. Hope the film is remastered since the print was off on the laser disc and that the disc is available on other websites.

TCM (Movies Unlimited) is taking pre-orders for THE STUDENT PRINCE which sftars Ann Blyth and Edmund Purdom. This is an exclusive and remastered edition. THE GREAT CARUSO is also available from the site. Both discs are selling for $19.95 and are not yet available on the WB Shop site. .

filmlover, thought you might want to know, these three titles have been available for some time on the Warner Archives site. They are not exclusives like the two Eddy-McDonald musicals.

TCM VAULT will release both versions of BACK STREET on September 26. The original starring Magaret Sullivan and Charles Boysr and the remake which stars Susan Hayward and John Gavin.

h1. Back Street (1941)/Back Street (1961) *- Exclusive!*

*Format:* media-D.gif

Fannie Hurst's novel becomes a pair of classic melodramas in this twin bill. First, Charles Boyer and Margaret Sullavan are the star-crossed lovers in 1941's "Back Street." Reunited in New York City years after their marriage plans were sabotaged, Sullavan discovers that Boyer is now wed to another. Desperate to remain a part of his life, she agrees to become his mistress. With Richard Carlson, Tim Holt, Frank McHugh. Then, producer Ross Hunter's 1961 filming of "Back Street" stars Susan Hayward (in a career-defining role) as a woman who meets and falls for a handsome Marine (John Gavin) returning home from World War II. Fate brings them back together when Hayward moves to the Big Apple to start a fashion design career, but upon learning that Gavin now has a wife and child, she must stay in the shadows and is forced to accept her role as his mistress. Co-stars Vera Miles, Charles Drake, Virginia Grey. Soundtrack: English.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Aug 9, 2011 2:09 PM

Thanks for the news regarding Back Street! I was hoping for such a pairing.

I am glad to see the TCM Vault Collection remains active; I hope for more announcements of other films from Universal and Paramount as we head toward the holidays.

Two more exclusives are available through the vault: SMILIN THROUGH with Jeanette MacDonald and Gene Raymond and BITTER SWEET with MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. This is a tie in with Movies Unlimited. These titles will be available later on through WB Archives. Right now MOVIES UNLIMITED is having 1/2 off on postage and an additional 20% off the entire bill. I pre-ordered the double feature BACK STREET as well as a duo pack of BITTER SWEET and SMILIN THROUGH and SWEETHEARTS.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}TCM VAULT will release both versions of BACK STREET on September 26. The original starring Margaret Sullavan and Charles Boyer and the remake which stars Susan Hayward and John Gavin.

Regarding references to "both versions" and "the original" being the Sullavan & Boyer version:

Actually there was a 1932 version of BACK STREET. That one starred Irene Dunne and John Boles and THAT first version is the original.

Movies Unlimited is offering another exclusive release via TCM ARCHIVES for pre-order:

RHAPSODY IN BLUE, starring Robert Alda as George Gershwin.

Release date: 11/8/11

In addition to RHAPSODY IN BLUE, Movies Unlimited will also offer THE GREAT WALTZ (1938) another exclusive, for sale beginning November 8.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Sep 19, 2011 10:22 AM

I apologize if somebody has posted about this elsewhere on these boards, but TCM Vault is releasing the *Jean Arthur Comedy Collection* on *October 17th.*

Adventure In Manhattan, More Than A Secretary, The Impatient Years and The Public Menace are the included titles.

I don't recall The Public Menace having been broadcasted on TCM, making it likely the rarest of the films.

The Arthur collection is from the Sony Archives. Apparently Sony has hooked up with TCM Vault for some of their releases. I wonder if there are any other titles forthcoming since much has been released as DVD-R on the WB Archives site.

> {quote:title=classicmoviefan09 wrote:}{quote}I apologize if somebody has posted about this elsewhere on these boards, but TCM Vault is releasing the *Jean Arthur Comedy Collection* on *October 17th.*

>

> Adventure In Manhattan, More Than A Secretary, The Impatient Years and The Public Menace are the included titles.

>

> I don't recall The Public Menace having been broadcasted on TCM, making it likely the rarest of the films.

That's great news! THE PUBLIC MENACE sure is a rare one! I believe it was scheduled once on TCM but then pulled from the schedule and not shown. I did get to see it (in a great-looking 35mm print) at the 2007 Capitolfest in Rome, NY. But I've never seen it anywhere else.

The other titles on this set are also good and well worth seeing (as of course is anything with Jean Arthur!) but THE PUBLIC MENACE certainly will be the highlight of this set for many Jean Arthur fans.

Lets see a collection on Jean Harlow. They said one was coming out for her 100th birthday well her birthday was in March but no collection. Please lets honor the original Blonde Bombshell.

News release:
\Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) are joining forces on a new line of DVDs to be made available as part of the TCM Vault Collection. The offerings will include first-time DVD releases of classic films from the Columbia Pictures library. Among the DVD sets on tap will be a four-film collection of comedies starring Jean Arthur and introduced by TCM’s Ben Mankiewicz; a five-film set starring Humphrey Bogart; a large selection of cartoons from the United Productions of America (UPA) Jolly Frolics series, which includes the debut of the one-and-only Mr. Magoo and a special introduction and audio commentaries by film historian Leonard Maltin; as well as an intriguing collection of film noir thrillers, presented in partnership with The Film Foundation. \\Like all films in the TCM Vault Collection, the new sets from SPHE are digitally remastered and include extensive on-screen bonus materials, including photos, posters, lobby cards and more. TCM Vault Collection sets are presented in beautiful gatefold packaging and available exclusively through TCM’s online store at http://shop.tcm.com|http://shop.tcm.com/.

The following sets from TCM and SPE are coming soon to the TCM Vault Collection:
• Jean Arthur Comedy Collection – This four-disc set featuring the winsome leading lady includes the gems The Public Menace (1935), Adventure in Manhattan (1936), More Than a Secretary (1936) and The Impatient Years (1944). TCM weekend daytime host Ben Mankiewicz provides a special introduction. Street date: Oct. 17, 2011.

• Humphrey Bogart Columbia Pictures Collection – This spectacular set includes five Bogie classics, including the early Bogart rarity Love Affair (1932) and his final film, The Harder They Fall (1956), a powerful story about a cynical press agent. Also included are Tokyo Joe (1949), Knock on Any Door (1949) and Sirocco (1951). Street date: November 2011.

• Film Noir Classics III – This third volume of the popular film noir collection, a collaboration with The Film Foundation, presents a slate of Columbia Pictures’ titles never before available on DVD, available for the first time through the TCM Vault Collection. The set includes Nina Foch and George Macready in My Name is Julia Ross (1946), Mickey Rooney and Dianne Foster in Drive a Crooked Road (1955), Broderick Crawford in The Mob (1951) and Brian Keith and Ginger Rogers in Tight Spot (1955) and Dan Duryea and Jayne Mansfield in The Burglar (1957). Columbia Pictures’ previous two film noir collections are also available through TCM’s online store. Street date: early 2012.

? UPA Jolly Frolics ? This amazing DVD set includes, for the first time ever, 38 cartoons created by United Productions of America (UPA) and originally distributed by Columbia Pictures. The Jolly Frolics series began in 1949 with Ragtime Bear, which introduced audiences to the hilariously myopic Mr. Magoo. Included in this set are the Academy Award?-winning cartoon Rooty Tooty Toot (1952) and the Oscar?-nominated Madeline (1952) and Christopher Crumpet (1953). This set includes an abundance of bonus features, including introductions and audio commentaries by film historian and critic Leonard Maltin, who has written extensively on the history of animation. Street date: early 2012.

Following up on musicalnovelty's info below, this is from classicflix.com:

6531418137_05df0c06bb.jpg

Sony's Film Noir Classics sets continue with Film Noir Classics Vol. 3 due on *January 16th*.

Released via the TCM Vault line, all five films are new to DVD. Bonus features, aside from an introduction from Martin Scorsese, will probably be minimal

*My Name is Julia Ross* (1945)

*The Mob* (1951)

*Drive a Crooked Road* (1954)

*Tight Spot* (1955)

*The Burglar* (1957)

And another title to come from the TCM Vault, but this time through Universal. Again, info from classicflix.com:

6531482411_53c7a17ef2.jpg

Dishonored (1931) and Shanghai Express (1932), a Marlene Dietrich double-release set is now up for pre-order and exclusive to TCM.com. Release date is Feb. 6th.

Presented for the first time on DVD, these two films have been fully restored and re-mastered and confirm Dietrich’s iconic status as a glamorous and enigmatic movie siren while demonstrating von Sternberg’s reputation as a supreme stylist of mood and atmosphere through his dazzling command of the medium.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but there is a followup to the Jean Arthur Comedy Collection:

*Jean Arthur Drama Collection* (Whirlpool, The Most Precious Thing in Life, The Defense Rests (all 1934), Party Wire (1935)) - May 7th

This is a TCM Vault/Sony release.

*WOMEN IN DANGER - 1950'S THRILLERS* is up for pre-order, release due 6/4/12

The four films are:

WOMAN IN HIDING (1954) Ida Lupino

FEMALE ON THE BEACH (1955) Joan Crawford

PRICE OF FEAR (1956) Merle Obern

UNGARDED MOMENT (1956), Esther Williams

Edited by: Edgecliff on Mar 6, 2012 4:31 PM

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}*WOMEN IN DANGER - 1950'S THRILLERS* is up for pre-order, release due 6/4/12

>

> The four films are:

>

> WOMAN IN HIDING (1954) Ida Lupino

> FEMALE ON THE BEACH (1955) Joan Crawford

> PRICE OF FEAR (1956) Merle Obern

> UNGARDED MOMENT (1956), Esther Williams

>

> Edited by: Edgecliff on Mar 6, 2012 4:31 PM

Hmmm. These are all Universal films including most prominently the elusive "Female on the Beach". I don't think I've seen that one around since the days of the old AMC. So now TCM is making agreements for distributing more Universal MODs? Interesting.

Coming July 2 - TCM VAULT COLLECTION

*COLUMBIA PICTURES PRE-CODE*

* *Arizona* (1931) - John Wayne, Laura La Plante

* *Ten Cents a Dance* (1931) - Barbara Stanwyck, Ricardo Cortez, Monroe Owsley, Sally Blane & Dir. by Lionel Barrymore

* *Virtue* (1932) - Carole Lombard, Pat O'Brien, Ward Bond

* *Three Wise Girls* (1932) - Jean Harlow, Mae Clarke, Walter Byron, Marie Prevost, Andy Devine

* *Shopworn* (1932) - Barbara Stanwyck, Regis Toomey, Zasu Pitts

Universal will be releasing a set of four Paramount titles from the 1930's. They are Million Dollar Legs w/W.C. Fields; Souls at Sea w/Gary Cooper & George Raft; Artists and Models w/Jack Benny & Ida Lupino; and Belle of the Nineties w/Mae West. Movies Unlimited lists this set for release 9/6. I am listing this here since I assume this will go out via the TCM Vault.