Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

High Sierra VS I Died A Thousand Times

8 posts in this topic

These two movies are very, very similar. At times it seems that they are using the same script in the remake that was used in the original. I do enjoy both, and in the remake they did a good job in casting, possibly with the exception of Shelley Winters. She's no Ida Lupino. And the casting of sweet Lori Nelson in the part played by Joan Leslie was truly inspired.

Terrence.

I know I am in a minority here, but I think *High Sierra* is my favorite Bogart film, and I do like a lot of Bogart films.

The second one wasnt bad.Good cast,Jack Palance,Shelly Winters,Lee Marvin,Lori Nelson,Earl Holliman,Lon Chaney JR,Dennis Hopper,James Milligan,etc

The cast is actually not a bad one, although it would take another decade for Lee Marvin to get his due and Jack Palance would be supporting him more than once. I really wish that Marvin would have had a shot at the Earle role, it might have made the difference to the film being just another remake or one that is fondly remembered.

> {quote:title=ERROL23 wrote:}{quote}

> High Sierra was the BEST version.The other wasnt too bad.Which do you think was best?

Here's another one to add to the mix...COLORADO TERRITORY a 1949 western remake of HIGH SIERRA starring Joel McCrea in Bogarts' role. This film was also directed by Raoul Walsh. It's not a Gangster film, but not bad as remakes go.

Actrually, I've always thought that, as remakes go, this one was quite good. It really works as a Western. And Virginia Mayo and Dorothy Malone do great jobs in the two female roles.

Terrence.