Sign in to follow this  
SansFin

*Voting Thread* TCM Programmer's Challenge #18 - Free At Last

46 posts in this topic

This is a shameless "bump" to draw people's attention to the Programming Challenge. It's voting time.There are many interesting and inventive ideas here, folks. You might want to read'em over if you get the chance. Maybe even vote for one of them. :)

I cast me vote for LonesomePolecat. Actually some good movies I'd watch with a good mix...

I want to congratulate all the Challengers. As always, you have made it difficult to pick just one schedule.

You have no idea how good it feels to have passed the baton to the next generation and see all of you step up to the challenge so well.

But, that is part of the process and so my vote goes to *Kingrat!*

I thank all for their time and attention to this thread. I also thank very much those who have taken the time to vote.

The current tally is:

Kingrat - 5

countessdelave - 2

LonesomePolecat - 2

Fedya - 1

There is still one and a half days to place your vote if you have not already decided which of the magnificent schedules you like the best.

I'm going to cast my vote for *Lonesome Polecat*.

All excellent schedules. Here is a recap of a few highlights in each of the three I considered:

Lonesome Polecat: Your Carol Burnett parodies, matched with the corresponding classic film was a terrific theme. I also really appreciated your recasting of Guys and Dolls for the original program.

Fedya: You really go for the obscure- Frank Fane as a guest programmer?! The only other person who might suggest that is Bill Maher. At any rate-hilarious. I especially admired your use of musicals' titles in creating your overall program. I'd be sure to watch Gun Crazy and The Letter again during an "Annie Get Your Gun" evening.

Kingrat: I loved the "Two Mrs Leans", 1947 Film Noir, and James Shigeta tribute but it's the Loco Dempsey as guest programmer that has me still laughing.

*Kingrat* gets my vote this time.

I've been having such a bad weekend at work, there's nothing like coming home to read all these kind remarks and see that I have at least 3 votes!! :)

And I agree, countess, this was more exciting that the Oscars.

This post is to remind all that there are only twelve more hours to enter your vote for your favorite schedule.

The current tally is:

Kingrat - 7

countessdelave - 3

LonesomePolecat - 3

Fedya - 1

I understand how difficult it is to chose only one as they are all excellent but please make your choice before it is too late.

If you tried to vote by Private Message and did not receive a reply from me please resubmit it as they do sometimes fall through the cracks.

Edited by: SansFin on Mar 9, 2011 12:19 AM because I posted before checking the Private Messages.

I would just like to post an apologetic note to Fedya...

In my voting post a page back where I wrote, " I might have gone with Fedya' schedule because of the 1776 section, but no showing of the 1776 musical??? Eliminated it for me right then..." Well, that "eliminated" sounded so harsh, and I regret that word because I certainly did not mean it to come across so cold. Fedya, your schedule was my second favorite. I should have said that what would have made it my choice was if "1776" was included.

Again,my apologies.

The voting is now closed.

The final tally is:

Kingrat - 7

countessdelave - 3

LonesomePolecat - 3

Fedya - 1

Congratualations Kingrat! :)

I very much feel that all of the entrants are winners in their own right and we all win when we see these marvelous and wonderful schedules.

I wish to thank all who participated in this Challenge.

The baton now passes on to Kingrat. I hope all will give him the support you gave me.

Congratulations, Kingrat! You had a wonderful schedule.

Sansfin, thanks for running a great challenge. You had some really fun elements and did a terrific job (thanks, also, to Capuchin).

Wow! Thanks, everyone! I feel positively Loco. These challenges are so much fun. SansFin, thanks for moderating the challenge and coming up with some great suggestions for us. Fedya, Lonesome Polecat, and countessdelave always come up with witty ideas, and I hope the TCM programmers are listening in. Fedya: non-musicals that fit musical titles? That's a really fun concept. Lonseome Polecat: showing classic films with their Carol Burnett parodies? That would light up these boards. Countessdelave: I'd definitely go for "the next Anna Sten." One of the most interesting corners of movie history is actors who were expected to make it big, but didn't.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to read the schedules and vote. Next time, please consider submitting a schedule.

Speaking of next time, what time frame is right for the next challenge? May? June?

I already have an idea for the challenge, and it will be well-suited to first-time entrants as well as (I hope) enticing to veterans.

Again, thank you.

Kingrat!

Congratulations! You had me at Jimmy Shigeta!

Kingrat,

My own personal view is that it shouldn't be before mid-may. Many of us will be coming back from the festival and we probably need at least a couple of weeks to get into our schedules. I do think that the festival is an excellent time to get a few newbies interested in the challenge. You can count on me to tell folks about how fun it is.

Countess, that makes sense. Because I'll be out of town for a few days in mid-June, and that would not be a good time for the voting week, perhaps we'll start around the first of June.

Sometime after the festival, I want to post some notes and suggestions that would help newcomers.

Mazeltov, Kingrat! You completely deserve it! But awesome job to all my fellow nominees.

I hope more people will participate next time. It's really not as hard as it looks. In fact it's lots of fun. The problem is you can't stop coming up with ideas for themes. You watch a movie and think of how you can link it to other movies. It's addicting. But I can quit anytime I want to--I just don't want to.

Thanks, Lonesome Polecat! I'm already looking forward to your entry in the June contest. One bonus of participating in the challenge is suggesting some of your favorites or films you've always wanted to see, because we know that the programmers do read the entries. Another bonus is increasing your knowledge of films; I now have a much clearer sense of which actors and directors worked with which studios. Still another bonus is the camaraderie with the other people who've tried the challenge.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the entries in the June challenge. Sadly I do not believe I will be able to enter. I can not expect my schedule to change until August and I have reasons to think it will become worse then.

I give you my congratulations again Kingrat and I know you will create a wonderful challenge.

SansFin, we'll miss your entry. Yours are always so much fun. Work does tend to get in the way of our movie life. I hope Capuchin will be able to enter in June.