Sign in to follow this  
1968B2

Best Opening Credits Ever

28 posts in this topic

Well, today's a great day on the TCM Message Board, because finally we have a discussion going on what you think and believe, hands down, is the greatest opening credits to any film, ever. Period. Which will it be? There are many. You may state, and change your mind later, as discussion variously engenders.

Ok, I'll start, and invariably state: "Breakfast At Tiffany's," credits brilliantly directed by the heart-tugging Blake Edwards, as he turns the European Audrey Hepburn into his Valentine of an American girl at heart, draped in Givenchy and an Oscar-winning Henry Mancini theme song, all at once, wordlessly. I think so!

Enjoy, and can't wait to hear about your faves!

Always loved the opening credits "Of Mice and Men" 1939...

Shot of George and Lennie running through fields with armed mob chasing them and leaping aboard a box car on a moving train and slide the door close and credits are printed on door...Wonderful opening .....

I agree with Dobbs. Walk on the Wild Side has the best opening credits I have ever seen with the walking cat choreographed with the Elmer Bernstein score. Movie was so-so....fb

*Gunight At The O. K. Corral* with great visual sequence and the singing of Frankie Laine. Mel Brooks did a similar opening for his "epic" *Blazing Saddles* and got Frankie Laine to sing that one as well.

"Walk on the Wild Side" opening titles:

(Sorry, but this particular copy has the main title spoken in Spanish, and the Spanish title seems to be "The Black Cat". The voice is not in the English version.)

This was hypnotic the first time I saw it on the big screen in 1962:

Yeah, *Vertigo* has great opening credits.

So does *Kiss Me Deadly*, with the credit titles going in reverse, making us feel vaguely uneasy (which we should , given the subject matter ) before the film even begins.

Dunno if it's the best ever, but certainly one of my favorites is the opening to A Hard Day's Night.

It was on today, so it's fresh on my mind. The mad, frantic pace goes perfectly with the fast tempo of the song and lets you know you are in for a fun, irreverent ride of a movie.

Saul Bass was king of the opening credit titles. He did *WALK ON THE WILD SIDE*, many of Hitchcock's best openings, several United Artists blockbusters, well, you get the idea.

Here's a few others that I like that, as far as I know, Saul Bass had nothing to do with, but are just as good as his:

*THE YOUNG SAVAGES*

*DR. STRANGELOVE*

*A THOUSAND CLOWNS*

*EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK*

*THE MOUSE THAT ROARED*

*A SHOT IN THE DARK*

*SUNSET BLVD.*

As much as I love *Mockingbird*, I think *Sunset Blvd* might tie it in terms of opening credits.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) has good end credits

So does The Prisoner of Azkaban, but I couldn't find video of that one.

It was either "The Awful Truth" or "My Favorite Wife," and it had embroidered handkerchiefs being lifted from the center to bring on the next board of credits. That was wonderful, too; thanks for the remembrance! I feel bad I can't remember; both are super faves of mine!

Thumbs up for Bye Bye Birdie! Yeah!

Also,

The Lady Eve (love the snake cartoon)

The Pink Panther (ditto for the cool cat)

Also, may I mention:

Patton

The Sound of Music

Which both start the story first, then launch the credits.

Yes, Bye Bye Birdie! Immediately, I am on my feet and belting out w/the best of Ann-Margret! Minus the fan! Is that just about the happiest place on earth, where she's coming from? Quel excitement!