Sign in to follow this  
ERROL23

What Movies Would You Buy In A Minute That Are Not Out Yet On DVD?

77 posts in this topic

Now, if Criterion would issue the recreation of Welles' original version, using stills and script for the missing parts, like they did on Laser Disc, I would. Issue as it is shown today? I wouldn't buy it. I have the LD.

Without question, my highest priority would be THE ANDY HARDY MOVIES! I'd not only buy a set for our household, but I'd get others to give as gifts. I never tire of the Hardy movies -- my wife and I are now watching the series for the 8th time. (It's taken us close to 20 years to see the 15 original films that many times, starting with tapes recorded from TNT in the early 90s, and now using DVD-Rs, except for "Love Finds Andy Hardy," which Warner already released on DVD.)

It seems like the Hardy Family films are always mentioned when someone brings up the question of what should be released on DVD -- I see that another person beat me to it here -- so it surprises me that they haven't been released yet.

The Hardy movies were among MGM's most popular, so they deserve release just on historical grounds. Moreover, two of the main stars -- Mickey Rooney and Ann Rutherford -- are still alive and might participate in the release, if willing and able, with commentary, etc. How many other classic films still have living stars? (This won't last forever, obviously -- both Mr. Rooney and Ms. Rutherford are 90.)

And the Hardy movies obviously still have a following, so they deserve release on commercial grounds. If the excellent Miss Marple set, for example, could be commercially justified -- even though I'd guess those movies have a smaller following -- then why not the Hardy movies? (Maybe it's just timing -- the Marple, Thin Man, and other great sets that came out in the early 2000s were before the economic and DVD-buying downturn.)

If the Hardy movies are finally released, I really hope they're on pressed discs with a nice box -- they deserve the same treatment as the Thin Man films, etc.

I know that Warner Home Video VP George Feltenstein has previously mentioned the Hardy films for possible release. Anyone have more recent information?

Edited by: BingFan on May 2, 2011 10:55 AM

I made DVD-Rs from TCM and FMC showings but would still buy if they came out on DVD:

IT ALL CAME TRUE (WB should have put this in that $70 Bogie boxset!!!)

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS

SUEZ

UNTAMED

THE UNINVITED

THE GLASS KEY

THE BRASHER DOUBLOON

ALIAS NICK BEAL

DESIREE

PONY SOLDIER

THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER

THE LEFT HAND OF GOD

VIOLENT SATURDAY

THE EGYPTIAN

side note: if you look up most "classics not on DVD lists" The Uninvited and The Magnificent Ambersons always seem to make the list. Also, our most recent SOTM, Mr. Milland has several great films that are not on DVD.

Dear Heart(1964)

Porgy and Bess(1959)*darn shame, I used to watch this on Ch 11(NYC) as a kid and I am truly sorry it is not out on DVD.

Red Headed Woman(1932)

Hold Back the Dawn(1943)

Edward Yang's A Brighter Summer Day (1991)

That Criterion Blu-ray can't come soon enough.

Dark at the Top of the Stairs

September Affair

Sally & Saint Anne

Centennial Summer

Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie

Jennifer

Night of January 16th

The Remarkable Andrew

Ask Any Girl

The Trial of Vivienne Ware

Home Sweet Homicide

Remains to Be Seen (Van Johnson)

Our Wife

The Benson Murder Case

The Lady Has Plans

Once More, My Darling

Jennie Gerhardt

The Murder Party

.....and about a hundred others......

love tp have available on DVD:

MY PAL GUS

SALLY & SAINT ANNE

SAN DIEGO I LOVE YOU

SPRING IN PARK LANE

TIGHT SHOES

OUR HEARTS WERE YOUNG & GAY

THIS THING CALLED LOVE

CLAUDIA

CLAUDIA & DAVID

LOVE IN A GOLDFISH BOWL

KISS THE BOYS GOODBYE

HAPPY EVER AFTER

THE LADY WANTS MINK

WALLFLOWER

REMAINS TO BE SEEN

PEGGY

LOUISA

THE SAINTED SISTERS

NIGHT OF JANUARY 16TH

HOTEL SAHARA

STELLA

THE GIRLS OF PLEASURE ISLAND

CENTENNIAL SUMMER

THE TATTERED DRESS

THE INSIDE STORY

WEEK-END WITH FATHER

REUNION IN RENO

LOVE THAT BRUTE

GET HEP TO LOVE

BUCK BENNY RIDES AGAIN

MISTER CORY

SPY HUNT

JOAN OF OZARK

CHATTERBOX

INTERNATIONAL LADY

STATE SECRET

TWO SENORITAS FROM CHICAGO

TWO LATINS FROM MANHATTAN

THE FIGHTING O'FLYNN

> {quote:title=savvylady wrote:}{quote}

> Dear Heart(1964)

> Porgy and Bess(1959)*darn shame, I used to watch this on Ch 11(NYC) as a kid and I am truly sorry it is not out on DVD.

> Red Headed Woman(1932)

> Hold Back the Dawn(1943)

RED-HEADED WOMAN is on DVD.

LoveFilmNoir,

*The Egyptian* has just been announced for release on Blu-ray. Not sure if they are doing a DVD at the same time:

Twilight Films, a specialty label which focuses on releasing vintage 20th Century Fox films previously unavailable on DVD, have revealed that they are planning to release on Blu-ray Michael Curtiz's The Egyptian (1954), starring Jean Simmons (Hamlet, Spartacus), Gene Tierney (Heaven Can Wait, Laura), Victor Mature (Samson and Delilah), and Edmund Purdom (The King's Thief). In 1942, Michael Curtiz won Oscar for Best Director for the timeless Casablanca.

Blu-ray special features include:

Isolated score by Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman

Audio commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini

Street date for The Egyptian is July 12th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6335

I would buy all the Andy Hardy movies..I have watched all of them so often, and never tire of them,and I hope one day soon they will all be available.

A Guilty Conscience (1921) Antonio Moreno, Betty Francisco, Lila Leslie

If I Were King (1938) Ronald Colman, Frances Dee, Basil Rathbone

Jewel Robbery (1932) William Powellm Kay Francis, Alan Mowbray

Black Cat (1968) Kichiemon Nakamura, Nobuko Otowa, Kiwako Taichi

A Tale of Five Cities (1951) Bonar Colleano, Barbara Kelly, Anne Vernon

The Snow Queen (1957) Vladimir Gribkov, Mariya Babanova, Yanina Zhejmo

Only Yesterday (1991) Hayao Miyazaki / Isao Takahata animation I have never found this as Region One DVD.

Mostly foreign movies such as Eric Rohmer's Comedies & Proverbs, and his Tales of the Four Seasons, almost none of which are available in US format. My one movie dream is that someday TCM will branch out with a sister channel devoted to foreign films. Stupid international copyright laws!

> {quote:title=Brookside wrote:}{quote}

> Definitely agree. Hardy films would be great especially with those stars that are left would do commentary.

I also totally agree!!! I'm not a huge fan of this series, but if they did it up right in a complete box set with extras and commentaries, I would be there in line to purchase it!

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

>

> IT ALL CAME TRUE (WB should have put this in that $70 Bogie boxset!!!)

Love, I agree with you! They should have tossed a few other rare Bogie's in there too, which would have made it a must purchase for me! I had it in my basket for a while, but I did some evaluating and passed on it. First there were apparently some issues with one of the DVD's found in several reviews. But mostly it was because of content. I had nearly half of the stuff already from the WB Gangsters Collections. The other half? Well, I purchased the Bogie Signature Collection Vol 1 at a pretty good price. I will wait to find Vol 2 once it comes down in price. I'll eventually get the Bogie/Bacall Collection. I already owned The Maltese Falcon special collection with commentary and the original and first remake in 1936. I figure I'm good. I think they had a great idea with this, but kind of dropped the ball. It would have been great to have stuff not previously released on it, and some NEW commentaries and extras and then I would have been there.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> LADY KILLER is available on DVD, it was part of the Gangsters boxed set (vol 1 I think).

> The others would make great Forbidden Hollywood candidates. It would be nice if BLESSED EVENT (1932) made it to DVD some day too.

Yes, that's soooo right! I wish they would have included BLONDE CRAZY too on those! I wish they'd make more of them! They could include films like DOORWAY TO HELL, and there are plenty more from that era, like JIMMY THE GENT...lots more they could do and do it right with commentaries and nice packaging on pressed discs!

Wow, they could go on forever with Forbidden Hollywood sets! Why not? There is a huge demand for pre-code, I think? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so!

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Letty Lynton* and *The Story of Temple Drake* both of which would need to get their rights issues cleared up before this could happen.

>

> But, should that happen, I would be there at Amazon buying the DVDs in a New York minute.

I'll race ya! :)

Would buy in a minute:

1. Arise, My Love

2. The Mating Season (I know, you can stream it on Netflix, and I do, all the freaking time, but I would STILL shell out 20-30$ to have this on DVD)

Would consider buying in an hour:

1. The Devil and Miss Jones (is this out? I have a crappy boootlegged (using the term a little imprecisely) eBay copy of it, and it seems like there was something I saw somewhere that suggested that it was on the point of being released but I don't know)

2. The Crystal Ball

3. The Whole Town's Talking (I haven't even seen this, but I want to very badly)

4. Test Pilot (call me crazy, but I thought it was one of Gable's best performances, Loy's too, even Tracy, although he had so many good ones it doesn't stand out as much)

5. Stranger on the Third Floor (saw this in a theater in NY last spring, it was towards the beginning of my old movie fixation, so I'd like to see it again, I'm sure I'd see much more in it)

6. Adventure (that's right, the Gable-Garson vehicle. It's not generally held in much esteem but I thought it was marvelous, for a sappy melodrama)

Other movies I'd consider buying:

Deadline U.S.A., The Mortal Storm, Thunder Rock, Ministry of Fear, Cry Wolf

> {quote:title=TheSameDame wrote:}{quote}

> Would buy in a minute:

> 1. Arise, My Love

> 2. The Mating Season (I know, you can stream it on Netflix, and I do, all the freaking time, but I would STILL shell out 20-30$ to have this on DVD)

>

> Would consider buying in an hour:

> 1. The Devil and Miss Jones (is this out? I have a crappy boootlegged (using the term a little imprecisely) eBay copy of it, and it seems like there was something I saw somewhere that suggested that it was on the point of being released but I don't know)

> 2. The Crystal Ball

> 3. The Whole Town's Talking (I haven't even seen this, but I want to very badly)

> 4. Test Pilot (call me crazy, but I thought it was one of Gable's best performances, Loy's too, even Tracy, although he had so many good ones it doesn't stand out as much)

> 5. Stranger on the Third Floor (saw this in a theater in NY last spring, it was towards the beginning of my old movie fixation, so I'd like to see it again, I'm sure I'd see much more in it)

> 6. Adventure (that's right, the Gable-Garson vehicle. It's not generally held in much esteem but I thought it was marvelous, for a sappy melodrama)

>

>

> Other movies I'd consider buying:

> Deadline U.S.A., The Mortal Storm, Thunder Rock, Ministry of Fear, Cry Wolf

Some of these movies are on DVD currently! However, they are Warner Archive, but still DVD! They are, I believe, Stranger on the Third Floor, Adventure, The Mortal Storm. I'm pretty sure.

A Night in Paradise (1946), with Turhan Bey, Merle Oberon, and Gale Sondergaard.

The Black Pit of Dr. M. (Mexico, 1959), original title Misterios de ultratumba. But I only want the version dubbed in English, which they used to show on local TV in NYC. That dubbing job was priceless!

Hey, whaddya know! Stranger on the Third Floor 's been out since December... Good thing I didn't put those on my official would-buy-in-a-minute list, as I'd have to be going back on my word now, cause it's been several minutes, and I'm not shelling out $34 for one movie. ;-)

The silent classic THE BEGGARS OF LIFE with Louise Brooks, Richard Arlen, and Wallace Beery.THE STRANGER'S RETURN with Lionel Barrymore, Miriam Hopkins and Franchot Tone.THE CONSTANT NYMPH with Joan Fontaine and Charles Boyer. FROM THIS DAY FORWARD with Joan Fontaine and Mark Stevens.