Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

387 posts in this topic

Darb, I totally agree with you. Loretta Young is one of the very few leading actresses who really irritate me. She ruined Clive of India for me. In addition to her irritating manner, I don't think she was a good actress.

WOW , now Loretta Young is one of my favorites so that choice shocked me. What movie is Loretta really not liked in. I loved her in Midnight Mary. what a Fox.

I have found that sometimes it depends on the first movie I saw that Star. Or what age she was when I first remember seeing them as a Star. At first it was Betty Davis cause in Hush Hush Sweet Charlot she was a Hag. However now I really enjoy Betty in most all the Pre Code and her early movies.

For me Hands Downs Can't Stand and won't watch is Hanoi Jane AKA, Jane Fonda, Can't even stand the sound of her voice. What a piece of work.

thomas said :

Well, I've got to step in and defend Loretta Young. I love her in early talkies; she knows how to play off her leading man and the other actors; she doesn't take herself all that seriously and she always seems to be having fun. She's very good in PLATINUM BLONDE, WEEK-END MARRIAGE, TAXI!, MAN'S CASTLE, THE LIFE OF JIMMY DOLAN, ZOO IN BUDAPEST and MIDNIGHT MARY--they all display her casual charm and un-self conscious sensuality. I won't claim to be as familiar with her later work, but I also liked her in A NIGHT TO REMEMBER.

bwande said :

Well thanks, Loretta always seemed to be very likeable, not sure why she get put in this Class.

I remember her Daytime Loretta Young Show in the 50's and it always seemed to be good entertainment. Oh Well to each her/his own.

I started watching I Died a Thousand Tmies a/k/a High Sierra III last night and realized I'm most irritated by two-time Oscar winner Shelley Winters. I admit she deserved the one for Poseidon Adventure and was touching in A Place in the Sun but that whining voice wears thin after a time and her roles are very similar-nearly always a shady lady or shrew. Palance and Marvin downplayed much of the malevolence their characters usually have which made her overplaying stand out. This was a good version of the story, the color was nice and that dog too cute for words. Earl Holliman was an interesting choice for the third robber. I still like Colorado Territory, version II, the best but this was mostly good all around.

>wouldbestar said...I started watching I Died a Thousand Tmies a/k/a High Sierra III last night and realized I'm most irritated by two-time Oscar winner Shelley Winters.

Her style is, in some cases, intentionally irritating. I mean who would want to be married to the mother in "Lolita" 1962. Compare her characterization to Melanie Griffith in the 1997 version of the story. Griffith is not undesirable as the mother which greatly diminishes the overall effectiveness of the film. In some ways Griffith has a childlike presence which is closer to the character of Lolita then to the irritating character of her mother.

I suggest a remake of *Kiss Of Death* with finance playing Tommy Udo and June Allyson in the role of Rizzo's mother (the lady in the wheelchair).

My guess is that you don't like Jane Fonda mostly because of her political views at the time. I don't let that impact how I view an artist as it relates to their actual work.

But Fonda's voice could was pitched rather high. When this is the case in her 60's movies I just turn off the sound. Why? Well because Jane was one very sexy gal. What a figure!

As for Young; I like her a lot and I do find it stange that some people wouldn't because she doesn't have any 'manners' or a voice that I feel would turn someone off like some of the others mentioned here. I just saw Along Comes Jones with Gary Cooper. A very funny movies and she is tops in it. She has a little of the 'bug eye' effect so maybe that is it?

Another thought, June Allyson could have been the "stunt woman" for Shelley Winters in *Night Of The Hunter* , ie , bottom of the lake. This is my last comment, I am just trying for some humor, some people may take this too seriously.

Shelly Winters is most annoying, in youth as well as older. I'll take the stop AFTER Greenwich Village!

I think Stephen has a good point as it relates to Winters:

Her style is, in some cases, intentionally irritating. I mean who would want to be married to the mother in "Lolita" 1962. Compare her characterization to Melanie Griffith in the 1997 version of the story. Griffith is not undesirable as the mother which greatly diminishes the overall effectiveness of the film.

Winters is irritating in A Place In The Sun also. This works well in that film because while it wasn't a reason to not save her once she fell of that boat, at the same time I can see why one wouldn't wish to get themselves wet!

Mel Gibson holding that stupid beaver hand puppet! I give thanks he is not holding Lamb Chop.

Fi--I think the Richard Widmark role for you is Jefty--with or without June as Ida.--If you can't get June, I'd be glad to play Ida's part.

Edited by: cujas on May 21, 2011 5:25 PM

Edited by: cujas on May 21, 2011 5:26 PM

> {quote:title=bwande wrote:}{quote}

> WOW , now Loretta Young is one of my favorites so that choice shocked me. What movie is Loretta really not liked in. I loved her in Midnight Mary. what a Fox.

>

>

> For me Hands Downs Can't Stand and won't watch is Hanoi Jane AKA, Jane Fonda, Can't even stand the sound of her voice. What a piece of work.

I've always thought of Jane as sort of a modern Loretta... :)

> {quote:title=Stephen444 wrote:}{quote}

> >wouldbestar said...I started watching I Died a Thousand Tmies a/k/a High Sierra III last night and realized I'm most irritated by two-time Oscar winner Shelley Winters.

>

> Her style is, in some cases, intentionally irritating. I mean who would want to be married to the mother in "Lolita" 1962.

Exactly. She most usually plays needy, clingy, manipulative characters. She does it well, so her characters are rarely sympathetic.

>ValentineXavier wrote..about Shelly Winters....Exactly. She most usually plays needy, clingy, manipulative characters. She does it well, so her characters are rarely sympathetic.

Some actors and actresses make irritation a vehicle for a fine performance. Elizabeth Taylor in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Tommy Lee Jones in "The Executioner's Song", Bette Davis in "All About Eve".

Well that Rates a 10 in " Makes no Sense " Category. Hanoi Jane is a Traitor to Our Country and that is why I refuse to watch anything she is in.

Not sure if you had a point out side of Pure Confusion. Yet another Tool.

In the CFU blog there is a tribute to Kate and I just posted that she is the most well known and awarded actress that gets the most negative comments and referenced the 'message boards' all before reading these latest comments. Clearly Kate is #1 when to comes to being a polarizing force.

While I can see why her manners and speech can be irritating I love her. She was in so many great movies (Holiday being my favorite). Of course I'm sure her distractors would say those movies would of been even better if some other actress was the star. I just don't think that would be the case.

bwande said :

I love the Way she Handled the Academy Awards along with Her Book.... Great Person.

> {quote:title=bwande wrote:}{quote}

> Well that Rates a 10 in " Makes no Sense " Category. Hanoi Jane is a Traitor to Our Country and that is why I refuse to watch anything she is in.

>

> Not sure if you had a point out side of Pure Confusion. Yet another Tool.

Just trying to induce cognitive dissonance, wherever I can. To me what you said before, and above, makes no sense.