Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

387 posts in this topic

One thing that's happened to me since I became a TCM Fanatic is that I've gained an appreciation for films and actors & actresses that I once thought I didn't care for.

Most recently, the star of this month Jean Harlow

I think it happened to me all at once. I recorded "Hold Your Man" (1933)

There were a couple scenes there when Dorothy Burgess slapped Harlow and Jean popped back with a left hook that practically knocked Dorothy down. I had to replay it several times, it looked so good. Another scene where she was looking at a picture of Gable and mimicked his smirk before tossing the picture aside, Very cute.

Watching this very young chick in these early films I thought man, she really did have something, and it must be a timeless quality because I'm just now getting it!

Same thing happened to me after really watching a few Greta Garbo films, I think it was Queen Christina and the death scene from Camile that first did it for me. The more films I watched her in the more I thought, wow, I get it, Garbo really was a phenomenal instinctive actress.

I think Errol Flynns Captain Blood is a fantastic film and he is perfect in it.

When I first saw him as a kid I really couldn't stand his long hair in that film and his smooth, almost gender neutral face turned me off. But A few years back I really watched it on TCM and it was like seeing something for the first time.

Knowing this man's real life history only makes him more interresting to watch. i like his early films best, from the 1930's to the early 40's. From there forward I am filled with pathos when I see him on screen as he literally grows prematurely old before my eyes, destroying himself in real life.

Ahh but I forget, this thread is about Actors and Actresses Who Irritate Me...

I'm sure there still are a few, but at this late hour I can't think of any.

I'll have to give this some serious thought and come back to this thread later...

Sorry for getting off track here :(

YES 30srbest!

Every James Mason performance irks me to no end. And I gotta add Jack Lemmon. Oh man his performances REALLY annoy me.

Wow, that surprises me, I think James Mason is a great actor and enhances every movie he's in. He's in my favorite adventure -- Journey to the Center of the Earth. Edward Albee has said he was promised James Mason and Bette Davis for the film of Virginia Woolf, but he got stuck with Burton/Taylor, whom he liked in the end. He really wanted Mason/Davis, but it was too early in his career for him to have any clout.

Of course we all have our pet irritants -- mine is Loretta Young -- but when you see some of these people's lists, you think -- why are they here?

I had to wince when i read the name Gene Kelly. I could never stand him,except in "Inherit the Wind". Originally Gene refused to do the movie because they wouldn't let him act like a knuckle head,(sing,dance,and everything else he liked to do).He only later decided to do the movie because he wanted to work with Spencer Tracy,and he did an excellent job of it. The movie was great and Gene helped it to be great. JR.

I agree with you on Katherine Hepburn. I can't stand her either and is probably my least favorite actress of all time. Such a know it all, upper crust, snotty, affected and uppity. Always over acting in my humble opinion. (I do like Bringing Up Baby, mostly because of Cary Grant.) She was not pretty, which I guess isn't her fault, but she just seemed like a ****. I don't mean to sound disrespectful in any way, but I never was a huge fan of Elizabeth Taylor, although I have become more of a fan in this recent year because I've come to realize she was a decent actress and I like her as a person. But her roles again were always uppity, snotty, kind of stuck up. I think that has something to do with her upbringing though, as well as Hepburn's. I just learned yesterday that Kate Hepburn, after the filming of Suddenly, Last Summer was finished filming, that she spit in the face of Joe Mankiewiz (sp) because he was so mean to Monty Clift during the filming and she never spoke to him again. Now that takes balls. You can hear it on "Tired Old Queen at the Movies."

I do disagree with you about June Allyson. I know she was cutesy and a little cheesy, but I think talented and fun loving. She probably wouldn't make it in today's Hollywood though. I loved her in Little Women. I thought she stole the movie along with little Margaret O'Brien.

My dad had a thing about Shelly Winters. He never got over her in A Place in the Sun, and he once had a conniption fit because I was watching A Patch of Blue. He HATED her! It was personal. He called Shelly a not-very-nice term, and he threw his left boot at the television. I thought it was funny.

"Dad, that is the nicest compliment she's ever had. Shelley has an Oscar because you took everything she does in this movie so personally."

Many of you have mentioned that you didn't care for the roles of many of those Stars who irritate you.

I trust that you are aware of the fact that, for the most part, actors and actresses took the roles which they were assigned by the moguls. Many were under contracts for years, and many bucked against getting "crappy" roles, most notably Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland.

If their acting ability or lack thereof is irritating, then so be it. But in many cases these actors cannot be blamed for roles in which they were saddled by the studio.

Just my two cents worth!

Is your father by any chance Frank Sinatra?................. The Frank-Shelley thing started with MEET DANNY WILSON, and only got worse. The only woman Ol' Blue Eyes liked less than Shelley Winters was Dorothy Kilgallen.

> {quote:title=JimWarren wrote:}{quote}

> Many of you have mentioned that you didn't care for the roles of many of those Stars who irritate you.

>

> I trust that you are aware of the fact that, for the most part, actors and actresses took the roles which they were assigned by the moguls. Many were under contracts for years, and many bucked against getting "crappy" roles, most notably Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland.

>

> If their acting ability or lack thereof is irritating, then so be it. But in many cases these actors cannot be blamed for roles in which they were saddled by the studio.

>

> Just my two cents worth!

I can understand the confusion. For some stars, they make the roles their own...in all the wrong ways. Because no matter what they play, they play it EXACTLY the same: Van Johnson (is he supposed to be a soldier, or is he waiting for Esther Williams to jump in the pool?), Walter Pidgeon ("...is this the script for FORBIDDEN PLANET or BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST?...oh who cares"), Maureen O' Sullivan (the girl in THE THIN MAN is literally the same girl on the vine with Tarzan).

Our modern versions of this are Brad Pitt, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Jennifer Anniston. The roles seem so dumb...but its actually the stars who turn the variety of roles into a giant blur, since everything is played the same way in every film.

>derevna ....My dad had a thing about Shelly Winters. He called Shelly a not-very-nice term, and he threw his left boot at the television.

If you want to see how great an actress Shelly Winters was compare her acting in "Lolita" to Melanie Griffith in the same role 37 years later. There is no comparison. She's one of the great character actresseses of all time.

My wife finds Shelly Winters irrating. I know a few others that do also. Now I like her because she is unique, but many of her characters are irriating. Take her role in Lolita. Now she does a great job of acting but that is one very irriating women. Don't you feel more sorry for the prevert Mason plays than the character Winter's plays in the movie? To have to have that women as one's wife just to be next to Lolita? This made it very clear the guy had a major obsession.

Take her role in The Night of the Hunter. Very similar.

So in many ways I would say Winters was irriating but in her case it is what I liked about her.

I particularly like Shelley Winters in *South Sea Sinner*, a 1950 rarity in which she plays a sort of Sadie Thompson-type character in the South Seas. She's hounded by Luther Adler. She sings -- Liberace is her accompanist. One for TCM to show!

I actually prefer many of the "B" stars. That's one reason why I'm anxious for Universal Bs to finally appear on TCM......Patric Knowles, Robert Paige, David Bruce, Dick Foran, Turhan Bey, Evelyn Ankers, Anne Gwynne, Anne Nagel, Irene Hervey, Elyse Knox, et al.

-Erroll Flynn!!!!!! - What dope ever said he could act?? It's not just that though...geez, it's everthing about him. I just can't stand him.

-Rosiland Russell - Why? She just annoys the crap out of me. I don't think she's funny in the least.

-George Raft - Holy crap...how did he get into acting?? I think the only movie I like him in is *Some Like it Hot*. He's so dull...he just stands there with the same look on his face in everything. It's like he doesn't put a single ounce of effort into his acting or lines.

>-Rosiland Russell - Why? She just annoys the crap out of me. I don't think she's funny in the least.

There aren't many actresses that would have been as funny and entertaining as she was in "The Women" and "Picnic".

Katherine Hepburn's face, especially when she was young, had outstanding bone structure (props to Madeline Kahn in PAPER MOON). Does that mean she was pretty? Probably.

No, she was not "pretty". "Pretty" is someone like Carole Lombard. Katharine Hepburn certainly was not plain-looking, but definitely not traditionally pretty either. The high cheek bones were a bit too high, she had a " horsey" look. Maybe that's not fair. I'd say she was "handsome" (and I do not mean she looked like a man, she didn't).

"Cute" : Ginger Rogers, Shirley MacLaine

"Pretty": Carole Lombard, Gloria Graham

"Beautiful": Hedy Lamarr, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Tierney

"Handsome": (in a feminine way) : Katherine Hepburn, Rosalind Russell

Actresses whose looks stand out but are just in their own category: Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck. They made you believe they were beautiful.

I realize this has little to do with the irritation topic.