Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Actors/Actresses Who IRRITATE You!

387 posts in this topic

johnpressman

 

Im a BIG Davis & Hepburn fan but my boyfriend once commented that it must have been VERY intimidating for both Davis & Hepburn to exist in a time when many leading ladies were very attractive. And even though both are icons, he would not be caught in a dark alley with either one of them.

 

YES he is still my boyfriend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But as I said earlier, are we talking about actors/actresses who irritate us, or who are not particularly good-looking? I don't think it's the same thing, and hopefully others don't either.

 

I do find Hepburn irritating, but not because of her appearance. And Davis is in her own category of looks; she's such a good actress that she can make you believe she's beautiful, even though she isn't. But either way, pretty or plain, I don't see what that has to do with her being irritating or not.

 

Hmm, I notice this discussion about stars and their looks and the irritation factor is only being held about women. Nobody's talked about a male star who irritates them because they're not good-looking enough.

 

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 8, 2011 5:08 PM

 

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 8, 2011 11:35 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tim Holt did a superb job as Curtin. He doesn't get to go the paranoid

route of Dobbs or do Howard's wise old codger routine, but he was fine as the

most ordinary one of the trio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, that;'s David Bowie (as Katherine Hepburn's "illegitimate daughter" - take a look at KH's stills from Sylvia Scarlett!). Just kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>Hmm, I notice this discussion about stars and their looks and the irritation factor is only being held about women. Nobody's talked about a male star who irritates them because they're not good-looking enough.

 

I haven't read every post, but my choices have nothing to do with looks, male or female. I'll stipulate that many women find Tim Holt attractive - and I see why - but my female choices have nothing to do with looks. It's their voices (grating) and general demeanor.

 

There are attractive actresses who annoy me as well. J Lo. Very pretty. Till she speaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Redford and Warren Beatty irritate me because they're TOO good looking. I'm jealous.....I'm reminded of the critic John Simon who always panned, e.g., Liza Minnelli because he thought she wasn't good-looking enough to be a lead actress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if it's any consolation, finance, I never thought that either Robert Redford or Warren Beatty were in the least attractive, and I'm sure I'm not the only woman who feels that way. Yes they are both "good looking" in a conventional football player way, but they're not "interesting" looking. They're like mannequins.

I like the looks of men like Robert Mitchum, who is not conventionally "handsome", but is extremely attractive (ok, sexy.)

A current male star like that? I can't think of any offhand, but I know they're there, not in the mainstream. I like men who look smart. Dumb-looking men are irritating (not that Redford or Beatty look dumb, they don't. And aren't. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head, sorry, gotta agree with the multitudes - June Allyson!

Also, Esther Williams, Glenn Ford and my number one most annoying actress of all time...ANNABELLA! When TCM had "Annabella night" recently, I tried to watch, especially The Baroness and the Butler, but just couldn't. Even the beloved William Powell couldn't save it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Glad to see that June Allyson, my personal un-favorite, seems to be dominating this thread.

 

Along with Kate Hepburn, of course.

 

Just for good measure, I'll throw in Spencer Tracey, who, like his lady friend Miss Hepburn, often comes across as insufferably smug and self-righteous. He always seems to have a knowing smirk playing around his mouth. And he looked old even when he was young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hepburn's fine as long as she gets to play off Cary Grant or Robert Taylor (Undercurrent), but what you say about Spencer Tracy is absolutely true. It's hard to think of very many Tracy roles that weren't centered around Tracy's annoyance with the world and everyone in it, and after awhile that act REALLY gets tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

>

> Hmm, I notice this discussion about stars and their looks and the irritation factor is only being held about women. Nobody's talked about a male star who irritates them because they're not good-looking enough.

>

>

 

OK, how about Chester Morris? He looks like a Neanderthal in Brylcream and the characters he plays are just so unlikeable. Yet he was the leading man in so many early 30's movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too familiar with Chester Morris. Was he the husband who was practically stalked by Jean Harlow in *Red Headed Woman*? If so, I thought he was completely bland, forgettable. Maybe it was the passivity of his character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is so amusing.

 

I am proud of this board. People being able to agree to disagree without any personal attacks! I remember when I was accused of "baiting" when I started an "unpopular opinions" thread but a year plus later this thread has several pages of unpopular, popular, and hilarious opinions.

 

I keeked every time I saw June Allyson mentioned. That voice is something else, isn't it?

 

Peter Sellers still doesn't do it for me. I don't know what it is about that guy but I am never amused. One movie I can stomach him in is "After The Fox" and that's only because Victor Mature (whom I love, and many others loathe LOL) and Marty Balsam are in it. I guess his humor goes over my head. Lolita and the Pink Panther films I can sit through because of their supporting casts - but sitting through them even then is RARE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Julie Harris annoying. I don't know why, but that movie "Member of the Wedding" is just unwatchable to me. I also thought they could have found someone better for East of Eden but that's just me.

 

I always find things like this amusing. I remember growing up, my father couldn't stand Jerry Houser. My husband cannot stand Vincent D'onofrio yet I love him in Law and Order. It's just funny how certain actor's just irritate some people.

 

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad you mentioned Vincent D'Onofrio. I just love him. I can't stand "Law & Order" type shows--but I never miss him. You really know an actor is great when he rises above the material.

Now on the other hand, I can barely tolerate the girl opposite him--but with him in the frame, she's barely noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julie Harris is magnificent -- on stage. Possibly our greatest living stage actress who loves not only Broadway but touring across the country as well. A sentiment from an earlier age of theater. But there is a difference between being a great actor on stage and in movies. And I don't think she ever really enjoyed working in films. Like many of the really top stage actors, perhaps she did it to make an occasional few bucks to support her theater habit.

 

I love the Law & Order shows. Never watched them until I did a gig with Sam Waterston and felt that I should see what they're about, and now I'm addicted. But I don't really like D'Onofrio or his character that much; nor Saffron Burrows. Of the Criminal Intent group, I do like Kathryn Erbe and some of the others. And they've given so much work to New York theater actors -- people like Phil Bosco, Lois Smith, David Harbour, Kathleen Chalfant, Richard Easton, et. al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another enthusiastic June Allyson vote!

Robert Taylor - especially in historical costume! wait no, especially in modern dress! wait, everything but Ivanhoe!

Jane Wyman - especially as a blonde!

Kathryn Grayson, somehow during her movies I find a reason to leave the room for a minute.

Jimmy Durante. I guess ya had to be there.

Alan Ladd, especially paired with Veronica Lake...double snooze.

Victor McLaglen, especially attempting comedy.

Nigel Bruce.

Elizabeth Taylor's voice. (RIP generous lady)

 

and a special mention for Betty Hutton, who used to irritate me no end and make me groan but somewhere along the way her incredible talent got through to me and now I worship her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee327/arturooui/Julie_Harris_in_East_of_Eden_trailer.jpg

 

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee327/arturooui/JulieHarriseastofeden.jpg

 

You have got to be kidding. Julie Harris was memorable in East of Eden. She's American homespun without all the cornball stuff.

 

Edited by: Stephen444 on Apr 14, 2011 10:12 PM

 

Edited by: Stephen444 on Apr 14, 2011 10:36 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us