Sign in to follow this  
TripleHHH

Detective Story Kirk Douglas

22 posts in this topic

I just saw this for the first time yesterday and this was a fantastic , tear jerking but still suspenseful Noir

Great story, well acted, and mostly took place at the Police Station...

Powerful stuff and I am getting this for my collection

Anyone else see this one ;) ?

A definite keeper. One of the most effective filmed plays I've seen. It actually looks like a play. A good choice.

I own *Detective Story*. I agree with you all, it 's obvious it's made from a play. I don't usually like that, but they pull it off in this film. And Kirk has never been more Kirk-like, which is to say intense.

Kirk was very Kirk-like when he played Doc Holliday in *Gunfight At The O K Corral*. And Frank Gorshin did a very hyper-intense Kirk impersonation.

Frank Gorshin was my favorite impressionist. Yes, he did a dynamite Kirk Douglas. Then he began to think he actually WAS Richard Burton. He'd get in CAMELOT garb and do half the damn play!

P. S.

The best Brando was Diane Keaton in SLEEPER. Talk about nailing it!

I said exactly the same thing about Kirk in DETECTIVE STORY more than a year ago. It was almost as if he was doing an impression of Frank Gorshin doing Kirk.

This is one of those movies that's so somber you wonder why you watched but so compelling you can't look away. Jim is straight out of a Shakesphere tragedy, a victim of his own unresolved hatred and inability to forgive. He loses the best thing he will ever have and what he says he's always wanted because he can't accept a mistake that came before they ever knew each other. Why does it take the knowledge he's dying for him to see he's not perfect and make that act of contrition?

Douglas was outstanding in this role. He makes it hard to watch, as you said he character is right out of Shakespeare with all his torments and devils.Sidney Kingsley who wrote the play, also did "Dead End" which proved to be one of Bogarts best roles.Ralph Bellamy created the role on Broadway along with Lee Grant who recreated her shop lifting role for the film. Story has it that Alan Ladd lobbied hard for the role of McCloud and as much as I am a fan of Ladds,I'm glad Wyler went with Douglas..

• Like 1

The supporting players are the best actors in the movie. Lee Grant, William Bendix and the wonderful Joseph Wiseman. Who knew Dr. No was such a wild man?

Nothing has been said yet of Eleanor Parker in this movie. She was so great. No wonder she received an Oscar nomination for this. The scene where Kirk Douglas tries to forgive her for a past indiscretion and then turns on her is heartbreaking. A very emotional scene, and she carries it off beautifully.

Terrence.

While I was never a big fan of Miss Parker, she was a very talented actress. She did an outstanding job in "Detective Story". To me she always seemed about to break out in tears. She was also wonderful in "Caged" and "The Man with the Golden Arm" opposite Sinatra.

I am no good at posting links; could someone post a link to youtube: "Kirk Douglas, Frank Gorshin, and George Segal", tribute to James Cagney

As an aside, this question just occurred to me. Was there any major actor in classic films who was rarely done by impressionists because his voice and speech patterns weren't distictive enough?

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> I am no good at posting links; could someone post a link to youtube: "Kirk Douglas, Frank Gorshin, and George Segal", tribute to James Cagney

Is this what you wanted?

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> As an aside, this question just occurred to me. Was there any major actor in classic films who was rarely done by impressionists because his voice and speech patterns weren't distictive enough?

Nobody "does" Ray Milland, as far as I know. Regardless, I like Ray, and he's star of the month for April. Maybe we should scrutinize his mannerisms and try our own impersonations of him.

I can't remember anyone doing impressions of Spencer Tracy. His voice seems

a little more gruff than normal, but other than that, it's not all that distinctive.

Ray was on FMC today in It Happens Every Spring, an enjoyable little baseball

flick. He had his usual easygoing charm working. Who wouldn't have when your

girlfriend is played by Jean Peters.

I don't think Milland would be difficult to do. Maybe he threatened to "off" any impressionist who did him.........Tracy is a great answer. He would have been very difficult to do

I got a chance to see this film in a revival theater several years ago and Lee Grant was present for the screening. 

She was nominated for an Oscar and won the Cannes Film Festival award,however she said"I don't know what all the fuss was about,I don't think I was that good in this!" 

However she gave praise to her costars,saying"wasn't Kirk great! And Eleanor Parker,I had thought she was mediocre in other films,but was excellent here." 

When asked if there was any tension on the set,she said that William Bendix(who played Douglas's sympathetic police partner)truly hated Joe Wiseman(playing a loudmouth burglar)for his scene stealing antics. 

• Like 1

I got a chance to see this film in a revival theater several years ago and Lee Grant was present for the screening. 

She was nominated for an Oscar and won the Cannes Film Festival award,however she said"I don't know what all the fuss was about,I don't think I was that good in this!" 

However she gave praise to her costars,saying"wasn't Kirk great! And Eleanor Parker,I had thought she was mediocre in other films,but was excellent here." 

When asked if there was any tension on the set,she said that William Bendix(who played Douglas's sympathetic police partner)truly hated Joe Wiseman(playing a loudmouth burglar)for his scene stealing antics. 

Well that explains your avatar.   Fine film with solid acting all around.     As for Parker;   I don't agree with Grant that she was mediocre.  To me she has great emotional depth.   I really FEEL what she is feeling.    Even in so-so films like Chain Lighting with Bogart,  she provides the emotional juice.   Oh and such a beauty.   

• Like 1