Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

MOVIE QUOTES

81 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I always smile whenever I see a clip of Mae West in "I'm No Angel" as she undulates onstage at the beginning of the movie in a diaphonous dress and then looks at the men in the audience and asks, "How my doin??"........

And, my favourite quote is of Mary Astor in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" as she meets Olivia DeHavilland on the courthouse steps -- "I have no more time for you, not even one more minute!".....

I've actually used that a couple of times in my life.

Larry

it's "From here to Eternity" Burt lancaster to Frank Sinatra after he starts a fight with Ernest Borgnine

"out for blood,aye you'd puke your guts at the sight of a deadman" (To Borgnine)if it's killin you want....come on fatso ...well come on.

Here's a few lesser known gems

Irene Dunne in 'My Favorite Wife' to Cary Grant - "I bet you say that to all your wives"

Carole Lombard in 'My Man Godfrey' to William Powell - "Can you buttle?"

Jimmy Stewart in 'It's a Wonderful World' to Claudette Colbert - "I need you like I need a giraffe."

Carole Lombard in 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' to Robert Montgomery - "Someday when your backed is turned, I'll stab you."

Well Gyp being an AH nut I'll take up your challenge on corrections. #1 "You ****ed up. You trusted US." #2 Hi I'm Eric Straton, RUSH CHAIRMAN, damn glad to meet you." For the heck of it : Flounder: "The negroes stole our dates!!!"

tmsenzig: How about these 3 Stooges gems. Curly (singing) : Don't chop the wood mother. Father's coming home with a load. Larry: " Just my type, a WOMAN!" MOe (reading from primer) "See the deer. has the deer a little doe? " Larry: "Yeah. 2 bucks!" Woman after slapping Larry: "How DARE you look like someone I hate??!" I can go on...

Another three stooges "Disorder in the court" Moe to Larry:I say there Jasper what comes after 75? Larry:76 Moe:that's the spirit....

The Long Long Trailer:

Nicky and Tacey are cruising along with their "40 feet of train" behind them. Nicky tells Tacey to check the map cuz a turn is coming up somewhere.

Tacey shouts-"Turn right here!!". Nicky makes a sharp turn off onto a dirt road.

Tacey-"No no no!I didn't say turn here!"

Nicky-" You told me to turn right here- and I turned right!"

Tacey-" You didn't let me finish. What I was about to say was turn right here left!"

You can just imagine Nicky with the Ricky Ricardo "Aye yi yi" look on his face.

some of my favorites are a little less known

"Give us Back the Eye" Clash of the Titans

"See ya on the other side Ray" Ghostbusters

Eddie

slappy, I didn't realize until I saw your post on another thread that this must have been your 1,000th post to these TCM boards! Since we started here about the same time a couple of years ago, like bggalaxy for whom I just posted a similar message, I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! Sorry for the belated congrats (since it was a week ago now). I always enjoy your witty contributions!

Thank you Path. I'd like to also thank the Academy and all the "little people." ( Munchkins, Ewoks, Lilliputians ect.

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA:

Mrs. Claypool (Margaret Dumont) to Otis (Groucho) as they are embarking at the dock:

"Are you sure you have everything, Otis?"

"I've never had any complaints yet".

HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME:

Sanctuary! Sanctuary! (Charles Laughton as Quasimodo)

THE COURT JESTER:

"The pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle. The chalice from the palace holds the brew that is true." Danny Kaye

BELLS OF ST. MARY'S"

"Just dial 'O' for O'Malley". Bing Crosby

NINOTCHKA: "There are going to be fewer but better Russians". Greta Garbo

THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING: "Emergency...emergency...Everyone to get from street!" (said very earnestly).

GHOSTBUSTERS: "I LOVE THIS TOWN!!!" Ernie Hudson

ROOSER COGBURN: The Duke to Kate Hepburn:

"Bein' 'round you pleases me".

DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL: "Klatuu nicto barrada!"

Michael Rennie

Coupla more Stooge lines: Curlie: "She was bred in old Kentucky but she's just a crumb up here." Moe to Larry: "How long have you had a weak back?" Larry: "Oh, about a WEEK BACK."

Slappy, I do hope that at least one of your hilarious 3 Stooges lines make the AFIs Top 100 list of Movie Quotes this coming Tuesday on CBS.

I have a feeling that quotes from "Casablanca" are going to be prominent.

Mongo

Mongo, I'll be amazed if they do. The Stooges get no respect except from their fans. The reason I've posted a few of their one-liners is to show they are more than eye-gouging buffoons. Here's a couple more. Larry: "I'll take two rotten eggs and some burnt toast". Waiter: "Why would anyone want that?" Larry: "I've got a tape worm and that's good enough for him." Shemp: "I'm Baron of Grey Matter." Moe always claimed that Paris was on the INseine river and he wanted to go their to see "the Parasites."

How about an UNquote for a change. "Play it again, Sam," was never said in Casablanca. I was not aware of that for a time. I guess I can thank Woody Allen for that.

Those Stooge lines are hilarious, encore! encore! :) Here's one subtle one I caught yesterday in Fools For Scandal. Ralph Bellamy to Carole Lombard, shouting;" You'd better give me an answer tonight or else! " Carole: " Or else what?!" Ralph; " Or else, tomorrow! "

I've always thought Moe Howard's parodys of Hitler compared favorably with Chaplin's. Moe is impersonating Hitler, spewing psuedo-German in a towering rage, when his fake mustache flies off and lands on a Nazi. He reaches over and retrieves it, speaking in his regular voice: "Hey Buddy; couldja let me have my personality back?" and resumes his tirade. Shemp to tough guy: "Them's FIGHTIN' words in MY country!" Tough guy: "Well???" ..."Well we're not in my country." Larry in an old west saloon orders a glass of milk. When the bartender and other patrons smirk at him he snarls: "And put it in a dirty glass!!!" as Moe and Curley pat him on the back. Larry to Moe in a haunted castle "I'm not scared. I'm merely aprehensive." Moe: what's 'aprehensive'?" Larry: "That's scared with a college education."

Ha slappy- good one. I love the one from "Design For Living" where Miriam Hopkins and her men, Cooper and March, promised to stay platonic so there would be no quarrels, and swore they had a gentlemen's agreement. But alas while Cooper and she are alone it is so sexually charged, and she falls back, swooned-like on the couch with her hand over her face, and says" I know, we made a gentlemen's agreement, but I am NO gentlman!" and , well, ya know.....gosh she was sexy.:)

I like the line from James Cagney in White Heat - "Top of the world ma".

I also like the line from "On the Waterfront" - "I coulda been a contedah"....

I love the Bette Davis line - "fasten your seatbelts, we're in for a bumpy night".

Inigo Montoya: My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. (The Princess Bride)

Winston: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes! (Ghostbusters)

Mike: Doggone it, C.K. Dexter Haven. Either I'm gonna sock you or you're gonna sock me.

Dexter: Shall we toss a coin?

(The Philadelphia Story)

Ralphie's dad: Fra-jee-lay! It must be Italian! (A Christmas Story)

Kitty: I was reading a book the other day.

Carlotta: Reading a book?

Kitty: Yes. It's all about civilization or something. A nutty kind of a book. Do you know that the guy says that machinery is going to take the place of every profession?

Carlotta: Oh, my dear. That's something you need never worry about.

(Dinner at Eight)

Mag Wildwood: You know what's gonna happen to you? I'm gonna march you to the zoo and feed you to the yak! (Breakfast at Tiffany's)

Eliza Doolittle: The difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated. (My Fair Lady)

Motel: Even a poor tailor deserves some happiness. (Fiddler on the Roof)

Paikea: My name is Paikea Apirana, and I come from a long line of chiefs. (Whale Rider)

"I proved once and for all that the limb is mightier than the thumb."

~Claudette Colbert showing Clark Gable the art of hitch-hiking (It Happened One Night)