Sign in to follow this  
LovesLilacs

Happy Birthday Doris Day!!

20 posts in this topic

April 3rd has passed and just saw this thread. Happy Birthday Doris Day! Such an icon. I just found her official website. Google Doris Day and on top it will say "Legendary Actress and Singer." She actually has a spoken message for all those who sent her cards and birthday greetings. She sounds great, just the same as when she was young. Right now she is singing to me. Check it out, it's a great website, with lots of pictures. She looks so cute.

And I agree with whoever said this, but why didn't TCM have a Doris Day day. They seem to honor some and not others. I wonder why that is?

During weekday days, they often air several films of an actor having a birthday. It seems that they didn't do that for Doris this year, I guess because her birthday was on a Sunday. Two days earler, they did it for Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell.

They are having a day of her films on April 22:

Julie (1956)

Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

My Dream Is Yours (1949)

Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)

Romance on the High Seas (1948)

The Tunnel of Love (1958)

With Six You Get Eggroll (1968)

I think sometimes they have to schedule the films on a day other than the actual birthday if there are conflicts. I noticed they had a day of Virginia O'Brien films last Friday, but her birthday isn't until April 18.

I have a 45 (record) of "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (on the back side of "Que Sera Sera") that was my mother's--I used to listen to it a lot as a kid. She has a beautiful voice.

Glad to hear there are some Doris Day fans in the forums like myself. Sometimes I feel the TCM fans only like the dark, tortured, demented, or conniving heroines and can't stand someone as sunny as Doris Day was in some of her movies. I like her movies--I feel good after watching them.

Robbie

Don't ask me why but I adore "Please Don't Eat the Daisies".

But then Doris rocks. She is so much better than she seems to be on the surface of her Rock Hudson comedies. What a talented actress and great singer. In fact I wish SHE was in the film version of "South Pacific". Put her in the film and take out the filters and that film would improve vastly.

I noticed that too. Am looking forward to seeing Romance On The High Seas again. Odd they didnt do it on her birthday.......I'll be at work for Love Me and My Dream Is Yours, but I dont want to record them (too much I havent watched already......)

Again, her birthday was, I believe, on a Sunday, and they never run films for someone having a birthday on a Sunday. They only do that during the week.

Edited by: finance on Apr 15, 2011 4:09 PM

I love "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" too.

Can someone remind me about why she's never been given an Honorary Oscar? I feel like I've seen this fact lamented time and again but the award to her contemporary Eli Wallach this year -- and he certainly deserved it too -- brought this back up in my brain.

I didn't go to her website! I sent her a Birthday greeting! I sent her one for Xmas years ago and her secretary emailed me to tell me that Ms. Day was thrilled that a fan remembered her at Christmas! I was very happy to hear that. Love Doris. Always have. =)

If only she knew how she, and the Beatles, saved my teenage years, enabling me to enjoy the '60s! She's all about humor! xxxDoris Day!

> {quote:title=voranis wrote:}{quote}

> They are having a day of her films on April 22:

> Julie (1956)

> Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

> My Dream Is Yours (1949)

> Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960)

> Romance on the High Seas (1948)

> The Tunnel of Love (1958)

> With Six You Get Eggroll (1968)

I can't watch Love Me Or Leave Me, it upsets me too much. But they showed a great Ruth Etting short right before it! Nice!

Saw the opening credits for Tunnel of Love and it made a horrible impression.

I recorded My Dream Is Yours while I went to work and watched it later. Glad I did! Doris was particularly beautiful in that one and the COLOR was breathtaking, I just love the color of film in the mid 50's. Eve Arden was particularly droll and also SO pretty in color. It was a WB film and there were a few scenes with Bugs Bunny-cute!

And best of all pairing her with fave Jack Carson - for once he gets the girl at the end-yay!

Doris is loaded with beauty & talent but many of her films were just average, not unlike Elvis's career.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

>

> I can't watch Love Me Or Leave Me, it upsets me too much.

>

I agree! Once was enough. Good actors, good acting, but just too unpleasant.