Sign in to follow this  
redriver

Waterloo Bridge vs. Waterloo Bridge

34 posts in this topic

Yes, that is definitely where my screenname came from. It doesn't hurt that I am a redheadedwoman, but I do have a softspot for Pre-code and Harlow :)

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

>

>

> I think I have a video by that name, but haven't watched it yet. Harlow? Something about a corporation? I got it from the library. Come to think of it, it's the same DVD as WATERLOO BRIDGE!

>

> Edited by: redriver on Apr 14, 2011 7:40 PM

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I dunno if it's that...Laurence Olivier is good -looking too, at least he was back then. I have never once found Robert Taylor convincing in any role I've seen him play. I just saw him in *Conspirator* (with Elizabeth Taylor) the other day, and it was the same thing. But I don't want to de-rail this from a *Waterloo Bridge* thread to a "Can Robert Taylor Act?" thread.

Legend has it that Olivier had an affair with Danny Kaye, of all people.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Legend has it that Olivier had an affair with Danny Kaye, of all people.

Yes, I've heard that. I don't know what to make of it.

Maybe there's an alternate universe where Danny Kaye plays Hamlet and Olivier the court jester! "The vessel with the pestle has the...Oh, the hell with it!"

Let's see--Olivier was the love of Vivien Leigh's life & Danny Kaye's--

My favorite memory of them is all 3 at a Queen's Command Performance performing The Bandwagon "Triplet" number--

"We do everything alike etc."

Since I created this thread, I don't mind derailing it. I liked RED-HEADED WOMAN. I actually had seen it before; I'd forgotten. What a quirky, uncompromising little story. What a BAD little redhead! She makes Scarlet O'Hara look like My Little Margie. For an old, simple story, it's kind of unpredictable. The plot escalates in ways that exacerbate the conflict and add to the intrigue. It even deteriorates into violence in a sad and believable way.

I'm not saying this is one of the great movies of the era. It's not. But for an obscure old feature you rarely hear about, it's well worth a trip to the library. Where else will you find an eighty year-old movie?