Sign in to follow this  
JonMelville

Where are you travelling from?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've just signed up to the forum to find out more about the TCM Festival, which I'm travelling to from Scotland in a few weeks.

It's great picking up lots of tips from more experienced festivalgoers and I can't wait to arrive in LA. I'm still in the process of finding accommodation but Santa Monica is looking likely.

I just wondered where everyone is travelling from to get to the Festival? Anyone else going from the UK?

Jon

*It's great picking up lots of tips from more experienced festivalgoers and I can't wait to arrive in LA. I'm still in the process of finding accommodation but Santa Monica is looking likely.*

JonMelville,

Welcome to the boards!

I wanted to let you know that if you are referring to the city of Santa Monica, that is quite a drive each day to the Film Festival.

Even staying at a motel on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood is a bit of a trek each day.

Closer accommodations more within walking distant of the Festival can likely be found by reading here:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=156453&tstart=0

Hi JonMelville -

I also would think twice about staying in the city of Santa Monica during the Film Festival. You are forced into driving across town on surface streets and you will be looking at a one hour-plus "commute" to Hollywood every morning.

If you are having trouble finding housing options closer to the Film Festival, consider staying at the Universal Sheraton (I believe it is still a Sheraton) in Universal City. It is one subway stop away from Hollywood/Highland and an easy trip into the heart of the Festival.

I do have to ask how it is a gentleman from Scotland finds out about the Classic Film Festival let alone decides to attend? You probaly have the inside track on being the person travelling the furthest to come to the event.

Last year there were a handful of attendees from Europe and some from the Caribbean but I didn't know of any from the UK. You just might be the first.

Glad you are coming to my neighborhood.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like Santa Monica isn't the best idea.

I'm on a budget but I'm sure a few days in Hollywood would be fine.

Kyle, I'm a film journalist in Edinburgh so keep an eye out for interesting events around the world. With such an impressive line-up it seemed like an opportunity not to be missed.

I'll be writing about the event, and Hollywood, while I'm there.

Jon

JonMelville -

Glad you replied. I hope you find convenient lodgings for the weekend and that you have a fine time while in my 'hood. Word on the "festival circuit" is that the TCM Classic Film Festival is not just unique for its content but an event that set the standard for all similar events - after only one year. It should make for an interesting series of articles.

Kyle In Hollywood

Alan !

Back again this year at the festival for more fun and games !

The answer to your question is Vancouver; funny -- somehow I thought you were from Montreal.

As the say Au Canada - Bon voyage !

Cinecrazy DC

Oh, you must be thinking of Walter Pidgeon. He's the one from Montreal.

Deanna Durbin is the one from Toronto in case you were wondering.

Douglas Dumbrille? He's the one from Hamilton, Ontario... not to be confused with Ned Sparks from Guelph.

or Edward Dmytryk from Grand Forks/Nelson British Columbia.