cigarjoe

Recently watched Noir

643 posts in this topic

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971) Low Budget Soul Noir Masterpiece

It's poster claims..... 

RATED X BY AN ALL-WHITE JURY

Wow! One of the first Black Neo Noir, a Soul Noir Masterpiece. (it's actually R-Rated)

"This film is dedicated to all the brothers and sisters who've had enough of the man"

*do yourself a favor scroll down and groove to Sweetback's theme while absorbing the visuals.

Directed by Melvin Van Peebles a black man exploiting being black, with a story set in the black community. It's been called the first Blaxploitation Film preceding Shaft by a few weeks. Though often lumped in with Blaxploitation Films both Shaft and Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song are actually very good Neo Noirs in and of themselves, they just happen to have predominately black casts, and are just onerously included, in my opinion, solely for that superficial reason.

True Blaxploitaion Films to me, are more tongue in cheek in a way tending to, for me anyway, almost burlesque the black community. Sweetback, Across 110th Street, and Shaft are more serious fare. There may be others I'm not aware of. I'm not familiar with all of them (there are over 350 films) but I've heard good things about Superfly (1972), I'll definitely check it out.

Van Peebles not only directed, scripted, and edited the film, but also wrote the excellent composite R&B, soul, funk, and jazz, score performed by Earth, Wind, and Fire, this is juxtaposed at times by a sort of Gospel funk Greek chorus.

The film, was funded somewhere in the vicinity of $100,000 + (I've read different stories) which in the end grossed $10 million. A Hit.

I saw this once on a big screen in of all places Missoula, Montana over 40 years ago, in the early 70s and never seen it again until a few days ago.

Van Peebles and his Yeah Productions, crafted a roughed edged work of art. Its a gift for Neo Noir lovers, a healthy visual helping of a lot of the old Classic Film Noir locations in The City Of Angels before most of them disappeared for ever. It was also shot at arguably the most creative, exploitative and exploratory decade in American Film History.

Its the simple tale of Sweetback (Melvin Van Peebles), who as a young black "orphan" named Leroy (Mario Van Peebles) ran away from his South Central L.A. neighborhood flop. He was taken in starving at a whorehouse and raised there by the ladies of the evening. Leroy earned his three hots and a cot as a towel boy, supplying the ladies with all their needs between customers. A few years later one of the girls takes a fancy to him and invites him in for a poke. He doesn't know what to do.

Hooker: You ain’t at the photographer’s. You ain’t gettin’ your picture taken. Move!

At first Leroy is a bit shy but soon gets busy with it. The whole whole sequence starts against the electrical hums of a clothes washer and ending in her multiple "oh God!, Oh God!" hallelujahs climaxing to a Gospel choir. He's so good at "endurance screwing" that his first woman christens him "Sweet Sweetback."

About say 10-12 years later. grown, Sweetback is now working as a live sex performer at the small shows the whorehouse puts on to inspire the customers to go "upstairs." This whole sequence is homage or reminiscent of the fight spectators in Robert Wise's The Set-Up (1949), and also of Delbert Mann's crap game participants in Mister Buddwing (1966). Another occurs during a poker game.

sweetback%2B19.jpg

One night a couple of white LAPD detectives come by to ask a favor of Beetle. Beetle is the pimp who runs the house. A black man has been killed and the black community is putting pressure on the LAPD to do something. The detectives ask Beetle to let them arrest Sweetback to show that they are doing something, and they will then let him go in a few days for lack of evidence. This will appease their superiors. Beetle agrees and tells Sweetback the deal.

sweetback%2B30.jpg

Sweetback (Melvin Van Peebles)

On the way to the station the detectives get a radio call to a disturbance. There they take into custody a young Black Panther named Mu-Mu (Hubert Scales). When Mu-Mu insults the detectives they stop the patrol car take his **** out of the car and viciously whoop on him. Sickened by the disrespecting of a brother, Sweetback attacks the detectives, Using his handcuffs like brass knuckles he beats them unconscious. He then gathers up Mu-Mu to his feet and splits.

Sweetback doubles back to the whorehouse where he asks Beetle for help. , Beetle is scared himself of being arrested.

Beetle: Like you gonna have to kinda lay out, stretch out a little while, be real cool. Kinda lay dead. Ol' Beetle'll let you know what's happenin', what's goin' down. You don't have to worry about nothin'. If you need anything, anything at all, brother, just keep the faith in Beetle, ol' Beetle goin' to bring you through, cause this is just a skirmish. You know how the game goes, baby. But you keep the faith in me and you my man. You my favorite man. Can you dig it, baby? Together, you know, maintain....

sweetback%2B61.jpg
Beetle (Simon Chuckster) Maintain.....
Sweetback heads out the door and down the stairs. As Sweetback leaves the whorehouse he is arrested by the cops waiting outside who figured he may head back there. Two cops in a patrol car haul him away to a deserted lot.

Sweetback is knocked around a bit, then taken back to the squad car.  He is about to be driven downtown when a Molotov cocktail hits the police car just as it starts to pull away. Sweetback escapes out a door into L.A. He hits up a black preacher.

When Sweetback finds out that the cops already know about the addict farm he runs upstairs Sweetback again hits the streets.

Storefront Preacher: I'm gonna say a Black Ave Maria for you.....

Sweetback hit's up a gambler hoodie for some bread. He stands with Sweetback over his poker game. He has a great monologue.

Gambler: What's a dead man like you need bread for? Life's a real struggle, from the womb to the tomb.... Every dollar we make the Guineas get twenty, The po--lice get fourty. and the Goldberg's get fifty anybody can tell you that doan add up to a dollar, that doan add up to a dollar and a damn! That's why all us **** are so far behind.

Gambler:You can't get outa this town by wing, wheel, or steal.

The Gambler at least gets Sweetback and Mu-Mu out to the Los Angeles city limits.

The rest of the film consists of visually interesting chase sequences towards the Mexican borders set to music through various parts of Los Angeles, that you can still identify from the 40s and 50s Noirs. These are interspersed with police interrogations of the "black community," and short vignettes of Sweetback's various encounters with assorted hoodies and others, an ex girlfriend, a storefront preacher and his flock, Mu-Mu, a gang of Hell's Angels, a hippy, and a peace, love, dove, commune.

Another sequence shows a motel where the cops get a tip about Sweetback shacking up with a white girl on on of the rooms. The cops break open the door and beat up the black man.

Cop One: It's not him
Cop Two: So what?

These, if they had filmed in a pedestrian manner would otherwise be mere filler. Van Peebles gives us a funkadelia panoply of slightly 60s psychedelic, Spaghetti Western rotoscope, Dutch angles, and the ever changing backdrop locations make them compelling to Noir aficionados providing a wonderful film montage of a downtown L.A. that is long gone accompanied by Earth wind and Fire. You'll groove/tune to it.

Gambler: Life's a real struggle, from the womb to the tomb....

Noirsville

sweetback%2B98.jpg
Second Street Tunnel

sweetback%2B138.jpg

sweetback%2B43.jpg

sweetback%2B114.jpg
L.A. River

sweetback%2B125.jpg
L.A. Gasholders

sweetback%2B123.jpg

sweetback%2B143.jpg

Feets Do Your Thang!

Come On Feet 

The film stars Melvin Van Peebles as Sweetback, Hubert Scales as Mu-Mu, Simon Chuckster as Beetle, Rhetta Hughes as Old Girl Friend, John Dullaghan as Police Commissioner, West Gale, Niva Rochelle, Nick Ferrari, Ed Rue, John Amos as Biker, Lavelle Roby, Ted Hayden, Mario Van Peebles as Leroy (Young Sweetback) The Black Community, and a Smoggy City Of Angels circa 1969-70.

“the first truly revolutionary Black film.” Huey P. Newton

"a radical blaxploitation classic" Brad Stevens

"This is about as street as it gets well heavy and very bad."                                                                                                                                            taweakame

An interesting time capsule of fin de decade 1960s. Check out Simon Chuckster's hilarious monologue. A must watch with your noir tinted glasses or noir-dar onSweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song is assuredly not PC, it's of it's time.  9/10  

Full review with more screen caps at Noirsville.

Psycho (1960) Transitional Noir Masterpiece

What can you say that is new about Psycho?

I can tell you my own remembrances, I was seven years old. I first heard about the film second or third hand. It was from the neighborhood girls across the street. They either claimed to have seen it or their parents had seen it and they had over heard them talking about it, whatever, but they made sure they told me about the shower scene. But of course they exaggerated it all and my imagination did the rest. Anthony Perkins killed her naked in the shower, cut her up in pieces and wrapping each piece in a towel took her out to the trunk of her car. I still remember that thought. A little personal  "mind movie."

Of course the movie never lived up to that, once I saw it. But from my example you can see how much power that creative film had on people even if they hadn't seen it yet.

Now I find out that the original story by Robert Bloch was pretty close to my original "mind movie."

I'm looking at Psycho as one of the first Transitional Noirs that crossed over into exploitation to eventually be a box office hit, and critically acclaimed a part of American cinema mythos. Its out exploiting the new found freedom that came at the end of the Motion Picture Production Code.

It took Classical Noirs mostly crime based films, and bent the style in new direction that was very popular. It took a story by Robert Bloch, a screenplay by Joseph Stefano, combining Noir, Thriller, Horror, Suspense, using alienated and obsessed characters and adding Twilight Zone type twists. Hitchcock, Bernard Herrmann, George Tomasini, and John L. Russell concocted really, a magic formula out of thoughts and imagination, an idea put on film that we watched. It captured our imagination. It was a spark that ignited other sparks of imagination. All of the oddball films started appearing in late 50s early 60s they in turn influenced more free ideas.

Noir never really ended it just morphed into what we call Neo Noir. It didn't happen all at once in one great kink, no it gradually ripped sparking apart with new directions to explore. Some of these films on that edge that contain the noir visual stylistics, the sort of DNA of noir like Psycho, are the Transitional Noirs.

Seeing them now can be just as powerful as back then.

It's a simple story of the time Marion Crane breaks bad and it's consequences.

Enjoy the
Noirsville

Psycho%2B03.jpg

Psycho%2B11.jpg

Psycho%2B09.jpg

Psycho%2B26.jpg

Tail Fin

Psycho78.jpg

Marion Crane: Do you go out with friends?
Norman Bates: A boy's best friend is his mother.

Psycho%2B25.jpg
Tail Fins

Psycho%2B48.jpg

Psycho%2B42.jpg

Psycho%2B58.jpg

Psycho%2B60.jpg

Norman Bates: She might have fooled me, but she didn't fool my mother.

Psycho Alumni -
their notable films or noir connections

Anthony Perkins (1932–1992) Is Paris Burning? (1966), Pretty Poison (1968), Catch-22 (1970),  Crimes of Passion (1984)

Janet Leigh (1927–2004) Act of Violence (1949), Touch of Evil (1958), The Manchurian Candidate (1962) Harper (1966), The Fog (1980)

Vera Miles (b 1929) The Wrong Man (1956)

John Gavin (1931–2018) Spartacus (1960)

Martin Balsam (1919-1996) On the Waterfront (1954, 12 Angry Men (1957), Cape Fear (1962)

John McIntire  (1907–1991) eight Classic Noir

Simon Oakland (1915–1983) I Want To Live (1958), Bullitt (1968)

Frank Albertson (1909-1964) Girl on the Run (1953). Nightfall (1956), Man-Trap(1961), Johnny Cool (1963)

Vaughn Taylor (1911–1983) The Lineup (1958), Screaming Mimi (1958), Party Girl (1958), The Twilight Zone TV Series (1959–1964)

John Anderson (1922–1992) Walk on the Wild Side (1962), The Satan Bug (1965)

Mort Mills (1919-1993) Drive a Crooked Road (1954), Pushover (1954), Cry Vengeance(1954), Touch of Evil (1958) 

Review with more screen caps at Noirsville.

• Like 1

Criss Cross (1949) Los Angeles Noir Masterpiece

Soaring like Eye Of God over The City Of Angels.

We see City Hall corner of First & Spring heading North past Union Station and it's Annex, between North Spring on the left North Main and North Los Angeles Street in the middle and and North Almedea on the right. No Santa Anna Freeway in '49.

It's Chinatown!

North Almedea coming in at an angle and North Spring Street pinch off the two middle streets. We slowly pan right towards North Almedea and you end up zooming into a parking lot between North Spring Street and the West side of Almedea with Ord Street bordering on the South and the Alhambra Avenue intersection on the North.

It's behind what is now circa 2018, a restaurant Phillipes The Original, and The Little Jewel of New Orleans Grocery and Deli. It's the Parking lot of The Round Up Cafe.

DSCF5293.JPG
Los Angeles City Hall at Spring and West First and the Federal Courthouse close behind it, behind them Union Station and its annex, 

DSCF5299.JPG
North Almedea and North Alhambra  intersection on top center right. The Round Up Cafe parking lot center.
DSCF5305.JPG
Anna (Yvonne de Carlo) and  Steve (Burt Lancaster)
 Two lovers highlighted in the headlights of car backing into a parking space.

Steve: Anna.
Anna: Steve, I had to see you.
Steve: He'll get wise. The last minute, you'll ruin everything.
Anna: I slipped out. He was dancing. Oh Steve I keep thinking and thinking.
Steve: Will you just not think about it?
Anna: I'm so worried about you. I'm all sick inside. Oh if only it was all over now. If it was only this time tomorrow.
Steve: You know what to do? Have you got it right?
Anna: Suppose you get hurt
Steve: Remember, you go to the cottage at Palos Verdes.
Anna: Suppose something goes wrong
Steve: And you wait there. It will take a little time. A few weeks.
Anna: Why do you say weeks? Why not days?
Steve: Just stay at the house at Palos Verdes. Don;t try and get in touch with anyone. Don't do anything until I get there.
Anna: I'll hate it. I'll hate it every minute until you're with me again.
Steve: You better get back before he starts looking for ya. I don't want him to see the two of us coming in together. Go one now, go on back.
Anna: Steve. All those things that happened to us... everything that went before.... you'll forget it. You'll see. I'll make you forget it.  After it's done after it's all over and we're safe, it'll be just you and me. You and  me, the way it should have been all along from the start. Be careful.

It's the night before an armored car robbery.

So begins Criss Cross another masterpiece of noir with an "amour fou" story told non linearly, and also in flashback, directed by Robert Siodmak (The File on Thelma Jordon, Cry of the City, The Killers, Christmas Holiday, Phantom Lady), and screenplay written by Daniel Fuchs (The Gangster, Storm Warning, Panic in the Streets, Hollow Triumph) based on Don Tracy's novel of the same name. The cinematography was by Franz Planer (The Chase, Champion, The Scarf, 99 River Street, 711 Ocean Drive), and the music was by Miklós Rózsa.

Its a simple story vividly illustrating the why in the adage "you can't go home again." Steve Thompson, is a regular Joe, living on North Temple Street L.A. He had a torrid love for the wrong woman. Anna. A true Femme Fatale. He married her. The flames didn't last. It didn't work out. They'd fight, they'd make up, they'd fight. The best part was the making up. They fought one time too many. They divorced. He split. Headed East. Working and moving around the country. Until, he gets her out of his system. So he narrates. So he comes back home. A week goes by. He goes to the Round Up Cafe in Chinatown. He sees Anna again.

DSCF5359.JPG

There is still embers. He is smoldering. She is smoldering. She remembers the making up part. But she is hooked up with the local crook now. Running with Slim Dundee.

DSCF5315.JPG
Slim Dundee (Dan Duryea)

DSCF5319.JPG

Steve goes back to work for the Armored Car Company he quit when he left California. He starts things up with Anna again. Or so he thinks. He's waiting for her at The Round Up. He's all jacked up and ready to go. But she doesn't show. The barkeep Frank tells him, Anna got married to Slim and goes to Yuma.

Five months later Steve is in Union Station. He's picking up a train schedule, he wants to get away. To travel. He spots Anna. They hookup again, Amour fou.

DSCF5401.JPG

Steve: You smoke a lot don'y you?
Anna: You pass the time.
Steve: You happy?
Anna: Oh, I love it.
Steve: He gives you everything?
Anna: Diamonds.
Steve: You want me to go?
Anna: Go. Don't go. Anything you like.
Steve: I didn't think he was the kind that married people.
Anna: Oh He did. He did.
Steve: I take my hat off to ya.
Anna: Yea. Yeah I'm a prize.
Steve: Tramp.
Anna: Tell me all about it.
Steve: Tramp. Cheap little no-good tramp!
Anna: Stick around you make it all so nice and sad.
Steve: Why did you do it?
Anna: You told me why diamonds.
Steve: Why? Why did you do it?
Anna: You
Steve: Me?
Anna: Your mother, your brother. your whole family: And your lovely friend Ramirez!
Steve: Pete?
Anna: You didn't know?
Steve: What did he do?
Anna: Told me to stay away from you! He was afraid I was poison. He told me to get out of Los Angeles and stay out.
Steve: How could he do that?
Anna: He said  that if I didn't, he'd run me in every time he saw me. He said he's frame me.
Steve: Frame you?
Anna: That's right. Send me to the women's prison at Tehacapi. He wanted me up there with the rest of them, my hair cut short wearing striped cotton, digging potatoes, and working in the factories.
Steve: I don't believe you.
Anna: Ask him, Go and ask him. He brought me down to headquarters. Sent two men in plain clothes.
Steve: Why didn't you come to me?
Anna: Because I was sick and tired of running after you all the time. Begging you Please, Steve! Please, please don't get sore Steve. Because I was sick of you, your mother and your wonderful friend, Ramirez. Because every day you were away Slim was after me. You didn't know that did you? Slim always wanted me. Always wanted to give me everything. And I got sick and tired of being a fool! I got fed up and didn't care! Oh Steve. What happened! How did it happen? How did I get all mixed up?
Steve: I didn't know, Anna. I didn't know.
Anna: I'm scared. They'd kill us. Kill us! I can't even sleep. Look at the way he treats me. [showing him her bruises]
Steve: Anna
Anna: Oh Steve! What are we gonna do? What are we gonna do?

When Steve and Anna get caught by Dundee, a quick thinking Steve tell Slim he was seeing Anna to get Slim to buy into a plan to steal a payroll from an armored car.

DSCF5427.JPG

Slim: Oh I had it all wrong, so it was me all the time. Between you and I, I had it all wrong. So it's not the way it looks, is it baby?
Steve: No, it's not the way it looks.
Anna: That's right, Slim. Just like he says. He wanted to talk to you. You were out of town so I said I'd come over.
Slim:You really wanted to see me? So tell me now Stevie what kind of business could you and I possibly have together?
Steve: A Job
Slim: A Job? well, why come to me?
Steve: Cause you're the only crooks I know.

DSCF5431.JPG
"You're the only crooks I know."
They plan it all out but of course it all goes Noirsville

DSCF5503.JPG

The film stars Burt Lancaster as Steve Thompson. Lancaster was born in up in Harlem on November 2, 1913 at his parents' home at 209 East 106th Street. He grew up on the streets on NYC. He joined the  joined the Kay Brothers circus as an acrobat and worked there until he was injured. He then worked as a salesman for Marshall Fields and then as a singing waiter.  Lancaster joined the United States Army in 1942 and performed with the Army's 21st Special Services Division, Fifth Army, in Italy from 1943 to 1945, This gave Lancaster the acting itch. Back in New York City Lancaster auditioned for a Broadway play and was offered a role. This brought him to the attention of Hollywood agent, Harold Hecht and, through him, Lancaster was brought to the attention of producer Hal B. Wallis, who signed him to an eight-movie contract. His first film was The Killers, subsequently he made Brute Force, Desert Fury, I Walk Alone, Sorry Wrong Number, and Kiss The Blood Off My Hands before making Criss Cross.

Yvonne de Carlo plays Anna. Born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia, by the early 1940s, she and her mother had moved to Los Angeles, where De Carlo entered into beauty contests. In 1940, she won second place in the Miss Venice beauty contest. She also worked as a dancer in nightclubs.  In 1942, she signed a three-year contract with Paramount Pictures doing bit parts. Paramount loaned her out to Republic Pictures for her first credited role in Deerslayer (1943). She appeared in Noirs This Gun for Hire, Brute Force.

Dan Duryea plays gangster Slim Dundee. Born and raised in White Plains, New York. He wanted to be an actor. His parents did not approve. Duryea became an advertising executive. Six years of stress rewarded him with a heart attack. He returned to acting. He got noticed on Broadway in the play Dead End and The Little Foxes. In 1940, Duryea moved to Hollywood to appear in the film version of The Little Foxes. Before Criss Cross Duryea appeared in Film Noirs Ministry of FearThe Woman in the WindowLady on a Train, Black Angel, Scarlet Street, and Larceny, before appearing in Criss Cross.

Stephen McNally plays police Detective Lieutenant Pete Ramirez. McNally was Born in New York City, he attended Fordham University School of Law and practiced as an attorney in the late 1930s before he became an actor.  In 1940, he had a leading role in the stage version of Johnny Belinda. His first credited role was in film noir The Grand Central Murder.

The rest of the cast consists of Tom Pedi (The Naked City (1948)) as Vincent, Percy Helton (over ten film noir) as Frank, Alan Napier as Finchley, Griff Barnett as Pop, Meg Randall as Helen, Richard Long as Slade Thompson, Joan Miller as The Lush, Edna M. Holland as Mrs. Thompson, John Doucette as Walt, Marc Krah as Mort, James O'Rear as Waxie, John Skins Miller as Midget, Esy Morales as Orchestra Leader and Tony Curtis un-credited dancing a rumba with Yvone De Carlo.

The film also features a lot of 1949 Los Angeles. The opening aerial over City Hall to Chinatown. The now long gone Hill Street Tunnel at North Temple Street (Steve's house), a Hill Street trolley heading for Hollywood, Angels Flight, The Third Street Tunnel, and the Sunshine Apartments, and the old Henry Ford Bridge next to the Schuyler Heim Bridge to Terminal Island, and Union Station.

Easily a 10/10 More screen caps with review at Noirsville.

• Like 2

Superfly (1972) Stylish Soul Noir

Ok, so a sort juju magic formula was concocted.

Mario Van Peebles had a vision for a film, a film for the "black community" and with the sheer force of his personality he wrote, directed, edited, and scored Sweet Sweetbacks Badasssss Song and it was an ace formula, the film was something new, raw, exploitative, good, and it made money.

On the other side of the country Gordon Parks did it more conventionally with Shaft Parks, a 20 year acclaimed photographer for Life magazine had turned to directing and chose as the subject for his second film a unique novel by Ernest Tidyman. Tidyman, another refugee from the print world, freelanced, on a $1,800 advance from Macmillan mystery editor, a story about a black detective hero using the Sam Spade/Phillip Marlowe blueprint. Shaft, the novel sold a half million copies. Shaft the film, this time Hollywood financed, nicely fused together with a black perspective a white (i.e the Private Investigator character) and a black community's idea/essence of what was cool. It was scored by Isaac Hayes and J.J. Johnson, with cinematography by Urs Furrer.

Gordon Parks Jr., son of Gordon Parks, on the other hand eschewed all previous conventions and based Superfly on a cool, a "super fly," Harlem drug dealer, Priest Youngblood from a story by Phillip Fenty. Parks Jr.'s film, rather than base his characters on "straight folk" with chicken **** jobs scraping by working for whitey for a living, made a realistic film about one the two lucrative (at the time) careers that an ambitious ghetto hood rat with no legitimate life lines, was left with by "the man," drug dealing or pimping. Jr.'s film was scored by Curtis Mayfield and cinematography was by James Signorelli.

super%2Bfly%2B012.jpg

Priest Youngblood (Ron O'Neal)

super%2Bfly%2B009.jpg

Superfly, forty years later if you think about it, was no different than all the great 1930s gangster flicks produced by Hollywood. The Public Enemy (1931), Little Caesar (1931), and Scarface(1932), where about the rise of the ethnic mobsters, Irish, Italian, and Jewish, who exploited the advent of Prohibition.

super%2Bfly%2B017.jpg

Lets break it down for ya. Youngblood (Ron O'Neal) is a successful coke dealer. He's got a lot of flow. He's at the top of his game. He's got everything he ever wanted. He susses out that nothing lasts for ever and he'll either end up cooling on a slab with a toe tag, or in Rikers Island. He wants to bail. Sell 30 keys in four months, make a million dollar score and ghost. He gets his main dog Eddie (Carl Lee) to go in on the deal, and gets his main man Scatter (Julius Harris) to help front some of the Gs.

It all goes Noirsville when the crooked cops who "allow" the various dealers to operate for their "cut" find out that Youngblood is apparently a bigger dealer than Scatter. They tell Youngblood that they want him to be the new Main Man. The cops off Scatter with an overdose under the iron horse tracks in the Harlem canyon near 125th Street. They leave him in his rolls.

Noirsville

super%2Bfly%2B023.jpg
Park Avenue Viaduct pedestrian tunnel @ 103 Street same viaduct that Bobby Driscoll runs through in The Window 1949

super%2Bfly%2B056.jpg
Shadows
super%2Bfly%2B046.jpg

super%2Bfly%2B025.jpg
1971 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado along Park Avenue Viaduct

super%2Bfly%2B030.jpg
Dutch Angle

super%2Bfly%2B094.jpg

Sig Shore

super%2Bfly%2B078.jpg

Under the "1" Train Broadway & 125th Street

Gordon Parks Jr.'s very stylish direction is one of the first things you notice. As in Sweet Sweetback's Badasssss Song there are long musical interludes, where in Sweetback they are of Van Peebles running around Los Angeles, here they consist of sequences of Priest's 1971 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado driving around Harlem and montages of various drug dealing to Curtis Mayfield's Pusherman.

Another nice surprise that is more that just a Blaxploitation film. Definitely not PC, 9/10 Full review with more screen caps here Noirsville

Across 110th Street (1972) Pseudo Blaxploitation Noir

One of the first legitimate Hollywood attempts to exploit the Blaxploitation phenomena. This film is not only a stylish and an excellent replica of the Blaxploitation formula but also a throwback to the type of Film Noirs the French called "policiers" otherwise known here as the police procedural. I say "Pseudo Blaxploitation" because it was written, produced and directed by "whitey," at least the music was by Bobby Womack and J.J. Johnson.

They used that Blaxploitation formula to make a compelling and gritty film. It was directed by Barry Shear (Wild in the Streets (1968), The Todd Killings (1971), written by Luther Davis based on Wally Ferris' novel. The excellent cinematography was by Jack Priestley ( a cinematographer and camera operator for 48 episodes of Naked City TV Series (1958–1963).

Across 110th Street stars Yaphet Kotto, Anthony Quinn, Anthony Franciosa and Paul Benjamin. The twist is supplied at the very beginning of the piece.

Its $300,000 mob money "cut" (a percentage of the monthly take from numbers, drugs, gambling, and prostitution) between the black Harlem gangsters led by Doc Johnson (Richard Ward) and their Italian counterparts led by Nick D'Salvio (Anthony Franciosa) Franciosa here is looking like a silver haired prototype John Gotti like mobster.

The Mafia accountant, his bodyguard and three Harlem gangsters are ambushed by three black freelancers led by ex con and currently a building super, Jim Harris (Paul Benjamin). The other two are Joe Logart (Ed Bernard) a dry cleaner and Henry J. Jackson (Antonio Fargas) a wheel man and small time hustler.

The two freelancers that break into the "bank room" in the safe house are tricked out in real cop uniforms, and out to stick it to the man in general. When one of the gangsters makes a wrong move Harris makes Swiss cheese out of them all with his 9mm machine gun. Harris machine guns down blacks and whites indiscriminately. On their getaway in a black painted Checker sedan, they kill two NYPD cops just arriving at the scene.

Across%2B110St%2B020.jpg
Jim Harris (Paul Benjamin)

All this results in the NYPD, the Italian Mob and the Black mob all after the same three perps. The new black detective in charge of the case is Lt. William Pope (Yaphet Kotto) his precinct Captain Frank Mattelli is played by Anthony Quinn. Pope and Mattelli have different approaches to police work, Pope is a by the book liberal, Matelli is get results the old school way brutal.

Across%2B110St%2B046.jpg
Lt. William Pope (Yaphet Kotto) 

Across%2B110St%2B048.jpg
Captain Frank Mattelli( Anthony Quinn)
Doc Johnson's hoodies have the inside scoop to the underbelly of the Harlem ghetto they are the point men combing the dives and gutters, spreading around Benjamins looking for tip offs. When ever they track down a clue they pass the info to D'Salvio.

It all goes Noirsville when Doc's right hand man Shevvy (Gilbert Lewis) finally tracks down Henry J. Jackson in a Harlem Whorehouse, and D'Salvio goes medieval on his sorry ****. He not only crucifies him but also cuts off his nuts, nice guy.

Noirsville

Across%2B110St%2B007.jpg
Apollo Theater

Across%2B110St%2B010.jpg
The Red Rock Tavern, Carolina Market and the Cold or Gold Glass Bar

Across%2B110St%2B050.jpg

Across%2B110St%2B064.jpg

Across%2B110St%2B072.jpg
Low Dutch Angle
Across%2B110St%2B101.jpg

Across%2B110St%2B089.jpg

Across%2B110St%2B096.jpg

Across%2B110St%2B111.jpg

The film addresses Black and White relations in New York City, Black and White integration into the New York Police Department, the new (for the time) progressive attitudes to police procedures, and the dynamics between street wise Mattelli and by the book Pope.

All the actors are top notch Quinn, Benjamin, Kotto, Ward, Lewis, Bernard, and Fargas are very believable. Franciosa gives a good scenery chewing performance as the torture loving capo.

Its a reasonable facsimile Blaxploitation film with an obvious message, and a good Neo Noir 9/10. Full review with more screen caps in Noirsville.

Mr. Ricco (1975) Mr. TV Cool's Swan Song

Director Paul Bogart who made his bones mostly on TV gave us Marlowe updating Chandler P.I., in a 1969 Neo Noir starring James Garner, Halls of Anger (1970) followed, it was an interracial inner city school Drama. His next feature, also with Garner and Lou Gossett Jr., was Skin Game in 1971.

It wasn't until '75 that he directed his second Neo Noir Mr. Ricco. I've found out from just viewing recently on a TCM screening, that it's also another Hollywood nod to the effects of the lucrative and successful Blaxploitation phenomena that exploded on the scene in 1971.

As I mentioned in my Marlowe review, that film was about cool, i.e., "It’s all about cool, cool that aura of quiet intensity along that ever changing cutting edge balance between conservative and excess, the spark between new and old, you know it when you see it." William Powell had it, Noir icons Bogart, Dick Powell, Mitchum, Conte, Andrews, Ford, Holden, and Hayden had it. James Garner as Marlowe had it. Poitier, Belefonte, Jim Brown, and Blaxploitation stars Richard Roundtree, and Ron O'Neal had it.

Mr%2BRicco%2B050.jpg
Joe Ricco (Dean Martin)
Dean Martin had it in spades. His 1965 to 1974 The Dean Martin Show came into your living-rooms weekly on Thursdays, and Deano with his well oiled shtick as a tuxedo clad, slightly drunken, work-shy, easy come easy go, happy go lucky playboy, was the epitome of smooth cool. It's too bad we never got an application of that TV persona into a serious Neo Noir when he was about ten years younger. I could see him in the roll of a wise cracking P.I. similar to Dick Powell's Marlowe. All we ever got, that was remotely close, was Dean essentially playing TV "Deano" in the Billy Wilder comedy Kiss Me Stupid.  His overly silly tongue-in-cheek Matt Helm series of films, all James Bond spy spoofs, are basically him goofing his way through burlesqued villains, and a bevy of pneumatic bimbos.

In Mr. Ricco, Dean Martin still doesn't get to showcase that competent cool swagger, either. He's plays a suddenly notorious defense lawyer Joe Ricco. Notorious because, Joe has during a big publicity trial, just successfully gotten the charges dropped on his client, a San Francisco black militant Frankie Steele (Thalmus Rasulala) accused of killing a white woman.

Joe Ricco has a successful law practice with a loyal secretary Jamison (Cindy Williams). He is a widower who lives with his dog and his old Italian uncle. He likes to spend his leisure time playing golf and has trained his dog to help him cheat at it, i.e., whenever his ball goes in the rough or in a sand trap the dog fetches the ball and drops it where ever Joe is standing. He also likes to plays late night card games after hours in an Italian restaurant with the owner and Captain Cronyn.

Mr%2BRicco%2B004.jpg

Soon after Steele is back on the streets two San Francisco police officers are ambushed in a tenement during a routine with a pump action shotgun.

Mr%2BRicco%2B013.jpg

Mr%2BRicco%2B018.jpg

A black child Luther witnesses a man running from the scene of the crime. His mother brings him to Joe and Joe takes him down to police headquarters. There Luther is interrogated by the police, and with an identikit the boy constructs a face that looks exactly like Steele's. Joe is now officially on the SFPD **** list.

Mr%2BRicco%2B037.jpg

Luther (H.B. Barnum III)

Police detective George Cronyn (Eugene Roche) is Joe's best friend. Cronyn is now also annoyed that Joe got a now suspected cop killer back out on the streets. Cronyn sends a squad of officers to Steele's Black Serpent gang's last known headquarters.

Mr%2BRicco%2B042.jpg

Steele, and the Mapes brothers are the only ones there, The raid results in a revenge killing of a black man. Murdered in cold blood by a bad cop who plants a shot gun as false evidence. Steele gets away.

The dead man's sister Irene Mapes asks Rico to defend her surviving brother Purvis. It all goes Noirsville when it looks as if Steele is now trying to assassinate Ricco.

Noirsville 

Mr%2BRicco%2B051.jpg

Mr%2BRicco%2B057.jpg

Mr%2BRicco%2B056.jpg

Mr%2BRicco%2B059.jpg

Mr%2BRicco%2B064.jpg

Mr%2BRicco%2B066.jpg

The film is nothing special, no real sparks, but it's an entertaining enough time waster with some nice Noir stylistic cinematography of San Francisco. Martin looks a bit past his due date in this, he's at the end of his career. It was one of his last films. Thalmus Rasulala as Frankie Steele was adequate but he doesn't really get enough screen time to showcase himself, H.B. Barnum III as the boy Luther was impressive. Eugene Roche I remember from his excellent performance in Slaughterhouse Five, he is quite believable here. The rest of the cast consists of Denise Nicholas as Irene Mapes, Cindy Williams as Jamison, Geraldine Brooks as Katherine, and Philip Michael Thomas as Purvis Mapes.

Writing Credits go to Robert Hoban for screenplay, with Ed Harvey and Francis Kiernan for the story. The cinematography was by Frank Stanley (Magnum Force, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, The Eiger Sanction). The music was by Chico Hamilton. Worth a look for Dean Martin fans. 6-6.5/10. Full review with more screen caps in Noirsville.

Desert Fury (1947) Bizarre Noir Soap Opera

"Desert Fury is the gayest movie ever produced in Hollywood's golden era. The film is saturated - with incredibly lush color, fast and furious dialogue dripping with innuendo, double entendres, dark secrets, outraged face-slappings, overwrought Miklos Rosza violins. How has this film escaped revival or cult status? It's Hollywood at its most gloriously berserk." Eddie Muller

You can forget all of Eddie's quote above and watch this film and within minutes you'll know yourself that something feels screwy. It's just all the wild dialog coming from all the characters. Now Ramona Stewart's book is just as strange as the film and probably more so since it wouldn't have been hampered by the Code. It's been called "an early sleaze novel about a trampy, rebellious daughter and her domineering mother" but goes on to say "Desert Town is a very strange exploration of love in all its forms and the pursuit of one’s desires. But not specifically sexual desire. " J F Norris (Pretty Sinister Books).

Anyway, Color Classic Noir's for me, most resemble the lurid pulp fiction paperback and magazine covers. They are like covers come to life. Those covers graced news stands and dime store paperback display racks. Films with the titles Leave Her To Heaven, Rope, Niagara, Hell's Island, I Died A Thousand Times, A Kiss Before Dying, Vertigo, Bad Day At Black Rock, Rear WindowSlightly Scarlet, Inferno, and this one Desert Fury.

Desert Fury was directed by Lewis Allen (Chicago Deadline (1949), Appointment with Danger(1950), Suddenly (1954), and Illegal (1955)). Screenplay by Robert Rossen and  A.I. Bezzerides based on a novel by Ramona Stewart. Cinematography by Edward Cronjager and Charles Lang. Music was by Miklós Rózsa.

The film Stars Lizabeth Scott as Paula Haller, John Hodiak as Eddie Bendix, Burt Lancaster as Tom Hanson, Mary Astor as Fritzi Haller, Wendell Corey as Johnny Ryan, Kristine Miller as Claire Lindquist, William Harrigan as Judge Berle Lindquist, James Flavin as Sheriff Pat Johnson, Jane Novak as Mrs. Lindquist, Anna Camargo as Rosa.

Here is a film with a story line that feels like it could have been inspired by Tennessee Williams. There seems to be all kinds of weird subtext flying around a Nevada town called Chuckawalla in the Mojave Desert, as Eddie Muller noted quite descriptively above. Chuckawalla is a typical self sustaining western mining town with a prominent smelter whose twin stacks dominate the valley.

Chuckawalla politically is dominated by "town boss" Fritzi Haller (Mary Astor). She runs a bar & casino in the film, and has bought off the sheriff and town judge. In the book the film is based on she is also the vice queen who besides the bar and casino also runs all the towns brothels.

Desert%2BFury%2B07.jpg
Eddie (Hodiack) and  Johnny, (Corey)
One day three of the towns former residents return. Eddie Bendix, and his good buddy/bodyguard/partner in crime Johnny Ryan return to Chuckawalla from Vegas. Eddie is a big time gambler and racketeer.  The third returnee is Paula Haller, daughter of Fritzi.

Desert%2BFury%2B06.jpg
Paula (Scott)
Paula has just quit school and wants to work for her mother. She wants to, as she tells her mother "Do what you do." What exactly is it Fritzi does, you may ask, it's left up for discussion. You'd have to read the novel to actually get a clue. You can personally take the innuendos anywhere. Anyway, even though pretty well off in life, Paula gets no respect being the daughter of the notorious town Madam.

Desert%2BFury%2B13.jpg
Fritzi (Astor )
It get better.....

Eddie who falls for Paula at first sight and vice versa, was once involved with Fritzi, but he had to skip town when he was suspected of murdering his wife. His wife, who by the way looked

a lot like Paula.

Desert%2BFury%2B11.jpg
Paula and Tom (Lancaster)

Paula's old beau is Deputy Sheriff Tom Hanson. Tom doesn't like seeing Eddie back in Chuckawalla.
Tom wants to be 'Back in the saddle again" with Paula.....

When Tom and Johnny see the relationship blossoming between Eddie and Paula they both try to break it up. When mother finds out about Eddie and Paula, she flips her wig. First trying to get the Sheriff to arrest Eddie and run him out of town, then latter she tries to bribe Tom Hanson with a ranch to get him to marry Paula.

Fritzi at one point also temps Paula with a shopping trip to Los Angeles, and she tells her that they can both chase men as long as Paula tells everyone that she is her older sister. OK you got all that? Well, now be informed that in the book Paula is still in high school and only seventeen.

At times the film hits you over the head with quite obvious innuendos. There is a sequence after Tom's bronc busting where he asks if Paula wants to go for a "fast ride," like they used to do. At the end of their ride Tom's got to have a smoke.

Ratcheting up the volume on all these triangles sends the film in a death spiral to Noirsville.

Noirsville
Desert%2BFury%2B14.jpg

Desert%2BFury%2B32.jpg

Desert%2BFury%2B41.jpg

Desert%2BFury%2B39.jpg

Desert%2BFury%2B42.jpg
Night Spot Cafe

Desert%2BFury%2B53.jpg

Desert%2BFury%2B45.jpg
Bye Bye Johnny

Desert%2BFury%2B57.jpg
How sweet it is....The two  young lovers can look forward to a happy future of lead poisoned kids living under the Chuckawalla Stacks
Were we as a culture all that naive back in the 1940s? Its hard to believe that the studio suits, the director, and none of the actors thought the dialog and the situations depicted a bit weird. It's either that or believe they were all in on it and knew that it would go over the heads of all the squares and censors. I think maybe part of the surreal-ness has to do with the source material. Could it be that Ramona Stuart wrote the male characters, situations, and dialog from a woman's perspective which when performed sounds quite effeminate?, or did Robert Rossen not have a clue keeping everything as in the novel, or did he have an agenda. Obviously we'd have to read the novel and do a bit more research.

John Hodiack has got a fast, clipped, staccato delivery reminding me of Richard Conte in The Big Combo. Liz Scott is doing her usual husky voiced siren. Lancaster's vibe is the same as the ones he exuded in The Killers and Criss Cross that bushy-eyed innocent good guy one. Corey was intense enough to get himself noticed in this his first film. My favorite role of his is his Tiki bar night club owner in Hell's Half Acre.

The cinematography is good. The outdoor locations shot around Sedona Arizona, though only occasionally lend themselves to some noir stylistics.. The indoor sets are either awash in almost garish color or shrouded in shadows.

One thing I do know is that I'm curious enough now to want to read the novel Desert Town.

Desert Fury is definitely a curiosity, worth at least a watch, it could fit on a double bill with Inferno. The print I saw from an online streaming service had very crisp look. 6/10 Review with more screen caps here Noirsville.
  • Like 1

Lady From Shanghai (1947) A Noir Nightmare

The Lady From Shanghai is like a train wreck.  

If it's on I'll watch it, its sort of trance inducing, some sequences are downright creepy, others (like the opening carriage ride meet of Welles and Hayworth) silly especially with that Irish brogue accent.

Written and directed by Orson Welles. Based on the 1938 novel "If I Die Before I Wake"  by Sherwood King. The cinematography was by Charles Lawton Jr., the  music was by Heinz Roemheld.

The film stars Rita Hayworth as Elsa "Rosalie" Bannister. For the film Welles cut Hayworth's long red locks and dyed what was left blonde. I hate it, funny thing is in the novel "If I Die Before I Wake" by Sherwood King, that the film is based on, the character has flowing red hair.

Orson Welles stars as Michael O'Hara, Everett Sloane as Arthur Bannister, Glenn Anders as George Grisby, Ted de Corsia as Sidney Broome, Erskine Sanford as Judge, Gus Schilling as "Goldie" Goldfish, Carl Frank as District Attorney Galloway, Louis Merrill as Jake, Evelyn Ellis as Bessie, Harry Shannon as Cab Driver.

The story is narrated by Welles and shown in a long flashback.

Irish able bodied seamen Michael "Black Irish" O'Hara (Welles) is walking in Central Park when he becomes mesmerized by a blond woman Elsa "Rosalie" Bannister (Hayworth) riding in a handsome cab. Each likes what they see. Michael offers her a cigarette.

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B03.jpg
Elsa Bannister (Hayworth)

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B06.jpg
Michael O'Hara (Welles)
Welles does suck as an Irishman, (the character in the book is Laurence Planter, an ex-sailor working as a chauffeur). This "Irishman" change to the story was apparently all Welles' idea. It adds nothing.  He could have just it played normal. As it is he sounds as if he's looking for his "Lucky Charms" (referencing a TV commercial about an overly sweet breakfast cereal with marshmallow bits called Lucky Charms where a leprechaun is stating in the same Irish brogue that he is looking for his "lucky charms").

Back to the story: A short while later after the cab with Elsa and O'Hara part company, the cab gets waylaid by three hooligans who drag Elsa off to the bushes (apparently for a faith worse than death). Michael hears her screams and runs towards them, en-route he finds her pocketbook in the grass inside it there is a small automatic. Why did she throw it away?

He fights off the three men and rescues Elsa. He gives Elsa back her bag. Curious he asks why she didn't use the gun. She replies, incredulously, that she doesn't know how to use it. What if Michael didn't hear her cries for help? So do we infer from that bit of dialog that Elsa has a rape by multiple partners kink/fantasy? The film gets weirder.

Michael tells her that he is a seaman. She asks if he wants a job on her yacht he declines at first. But Michael is smitten by Elsa and constantly thinks of her.

Michael O'Hara: ...from that moment I did not use my head, except to think about her.

A few days later at the Seaman's Hall Arthur Bannister (Sloane) hires Michael to crew their yacht on their seagoing part of their trip down through the Panama Canal back to San Francisco.

Also on the ship is Sydney Broome (Ted de Corsia) who is actually a private detective hired by Bannister to keep an eye on Elsa. Along the way Bannister's law partner George Grisby (Glenn Anders) joins the yacht. Grisby is a piece of work, Anders makes the most of the part. Grisby has a weird proposal for Michael.

George Grisby: Mr. Bannister tells me you once killed a man. You are Michael, aren't you?
Michael O'Hara: That's right.
George Grisby:  I'm very interested in murders. Forgive me if I seem inquisitive, but where'd it happen?
Michael O'Hara:At Murcia.
George Grisby:  How'd you do it? No, let me guess... You did it with your hands, didn't you? Does it ever bother you when you think about it? What did he do to you?
Michael O'Hara: Nothing.
George Grisby:  You just killed him for the fun of it, eh?
Michael O'Hara: He was a Franco spy. There was a war on at the time.
George Grisby:  Then it wasn't murder, I suppose. Tell me, would you do it again? Would you mind killing another man?
Michael O'Hara: I'd kill another Franco spy.
George Grisby:  I was on a pro-Franco committee during the Spanish War. Would you kill me if I gave you the chance?... I may give you the chance.  How'd you like 5,000 dollars?
Michael O'Hara: What?
George Grisby:  That's what I said. 5,000 dollars, fella.
Michael O'Hara: What do I have to do for it?
George Grisby:  I'll fill in the details later. Meanwhile, think it over, Michael. 5,000 dollars. It's yours. All you have to do is kill somebody.
Michael O'Hara: Who, Mr. Grisby? I'm particular who I murder.
George Grisby:  Good boy!
Michael O'Hara: You know, I wouldn't like to kill just anybody. Is it someone I know?
George Grisby: Oh, yeah. But you'll never guess.
Michael O'Hara: I give up.
George Grisby:  It's me. I'm perfectly sober, Michael. I'm willing to pay 5,000 if the job is well done. This is a straightforward business proposition. I want you to kill me. So long, fella!

Grisby explains to Michael that he wants to fake his own death. He tells Michael that he wants out of his marriage but his wife wont give him a divorce. Since he would not really be dead and since there would be no corpse, Michael could not be convicted of murder. Michael believes him. The other side to the coin is the insurance policy the law firm has. Since Michael will sign a fake confession saying he murdered Grisby the insurance company will have to pay off. With that money Grisby can start a new life. Michael agrees thinking he'll use the $5,000 to run away with Elsa.

On the night of the fake murder Broome overhears Grisby and Michael plotting but he figures out that Grisby is actually planning to murder Bannister and frame Michael for Bannister's murder and his own fake murder. Grisby shoots Broome. Michael proceeds with the plan, only to step off into Noirsville when he finds out that Grisby really was killed, his gun killed Broome, and the police have his fake confession.

Noirsville

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B57.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B25.jpg
Steinhart Aquarium in Golden Gate Park

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B17.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B24.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B30.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B38.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B41.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B45.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B52.jpg

lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B34.jpg

Walhalla Bar & Cafe, Sausalito, California
lady%2Bfrom%2BShanghai%2B62.jpg

The film gets a bit rushed once the story reaches San Francisco. The whole "Lady From Shanghai" angle seems to get short shrift since there is barely any lead up to Elsa suddenly speaking fluid Chinese and being able to call upon a Chinese Tong to assist her. There is no Chinese angle in the novel, that seems to be all Welles screenplay. The whole novel actually takes place on Long Island, NY.

I've read that studio boss Harry Cohn didn't like the look of the location sequences in Welles completed film, nor the lack of glamour shots of Hayworth, and ordered extensive editing and re-shoots. This heavy editing ordered by Cohn took over a year to complete.Viola Lawrence a veteran Columbia Pictures editor cut about an hour from Welles's rough cut. They probably edited out some sequences that probably would have explained Elsa's Shanghai connections better. Missing also seem to be any convincing visual fireworks from the Michael/Elsa relationship. The final product's got a surreal nightmare quality.

The film has some great visual sequences (the Steinhart Aquarium in Golden Gate Park, the Playland at the Beach amusement park's Magic Mirror Maze, and San Francisco's Chinatown). Sloane's bizarre over the top Bannister character steals the show, He's got a two canes which he uses to propel himself with a swinging cripple walk. He has an often demeaning obnoxious voice. Anders' portrayal of Grisby is as equally over the top as Bannister. Anders's got a sing song delivery with exaggerated pronunciation combined with a cackle that's offsetting. It's a shame Anders didn't make more movies his career was mostly on the stage. His only other noir was M(1951).

I don't care for Hayworth's short blond locks either, or as I've mentioned before Welles' Irish brogue, but that doesn't keep me from watching. 6.5/10

Full review with more screen caps here Noirsville

Coonskin (1975) Neo Noirtoon

Betty Boop was possibly one of the first cartoons to run afoul of the Hayes Code. 
She was one of the first and probably most famous animated sex symbols. Her occasionally noir-ish cartoons contained obvious sexual references and some  cerebra subject matter. Betty Boop had noticeable breasts, wore short dresses, heels, and a garter. Ralph Bakshi sort of revived this early risque tradition on the big screen in 1972 .

Written and directed by Ralph Bakshi. Cinematography was by William A. Fraker, Film Editing by Donald W. Ernst and music by Chico Hamilton.

The film stars Philip Michael Thomas (Mr. Ricco (1975), Miami Vice TV Series (1984–1990), ) as Randy, Barry White (an American singer-songwriter, musician, record producer and composer), as Sampson, Charles Gordone (Angel Heart (1987)), as Preacherman, and Scatman Crothers (Lady in a Cage (1964), Slaughter's Big Rip-Off (1973), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest(1975), The Shining (1980)) as Pappy.

The Coonskin was very controversial. The Congress of Racial Equality criticized the films content as being racist. When the film was released it got mixed reviews. But a New York Times review said that it could be called a masterpiece.... "Coonskin which opened yesterday at the Trans-Lux East and the Bryan is a shatteringly successful effort to use an uncommon form - cartoons and live action combined - to convey  the hallucinatory violence and frustration of American city life, specifically black city life."
Coonskin%2B99.jpg

Live action and Cartoon

It has since been re-evaluated.

Coonskin has two tales. A live action piece about two buddies Samson and Preacher Man out to rescue the third member of their trio Randy who is doing time in the "big house". They cooked up a prison break scheme. They are going to smuggle Randy a pistol. With it he's to overpower some guards at nightfall and let himself out a side door along the prison wall.

Samson and Preacher Man's part of the plan is to drive 100 mph towards the prison wall through a cow pasture.  When Randy hears that car coming he is going to run out from the shelter of the wall to meet it.

The second tale is told by an old convict named Pappy (who decided to break out with Randy), while they wait and sweat it out beneath the prison wall and guard towers. The tale is an update of Uncle Remus' Tar-Baby fable. The fable is the story told in cartoon and live action of how Rabbit and his two hoodies Bear and Preacher Fox head up to Harlem after their whorehouse operation is busted, to make their bones. Rabbit is cool, Bear is good but slow, and Preacher Fox is sneaky.

Noirsville

Coonskin%2B20.jpg
left to right, Preacher Fox, Bear, Rabbit

Coonskin%2B27.jpg
Coonskin%2B119.jpg

Coonskin%2B76.jpg

Coonskin%2B79.jpg

Coonskin%2B74.jpg

Coonskin%2B107.jpg

Cecil's Cocktail Lounge 

Coonskin%2B117.jpg
Pappy (Scatman Crothers)

Coonskin%2B108.jpg

Coonskin%2B101.jpg

Times Square Shuttle

Coonskin%2B71.jpg

Coonskin%2B61.jpg

The voice animators are Philip Michael Thomas as Brother Rabbit, Barry White as Brother Bear, Charles Gordone as Preacher Fox, Scatman Crothers as  Old Man Bone.

Additional Voices were Danny Rees as Clown, Buddy Douglas as Referee, Jim Moore as Mime, Al Lewis as The Godfather, Richard Paul as Sonny, Frank de Kova as Managan, and Ralph Bakshi as Cop With Megaphone.

Definitely not PC. 8/10. Full review with more screen caps at Noirsville.

Where The Sidewalk Ends (1950) A Street Scene Noir

The "Street Scene" score for Where The Sidewalk Ends is by Alfred Newman.

It was originally used for Street Scene (1931) and was re-cycled by 20th Century Fox as a sort of New York City Noir signature theme. It crops up on, Cry Of The City, Kiss Of Death, I Wake Up Screaming, and The Dark Corner.

The film was directed and produced by Otto Preminger (it's one of the five Classic Film Noir he directed). The writing credits are Ben Hecht for the screenplay. Victor Trivas, Frank P. Rosenberg, and Robert E. Kent  for the story adaptation of the novel Night Cry by William L. Stuart.

The film stars Dana Andrews as sadistic Detective Sgt. Mark Dixon, Gene Tierney as Morgan Taylor-Paine,Gary Merrill as Tommy Scalise, Bert Freed as Detective Sgt. Paul Klein (Dixon's partner), Tom Tully as Jiggs Taylor, Morgan's father, Karl Malden as Detective Lt. Thomas, Ruth Donnelly as Martha, owner of Martha's Cafe, and Craig Stevens as Kenneth Paine.

This film was mostly shot in New York City. There are quite a few establishing shots obviously on location. Other studio shots (either Kaufman or Gold Meadow don't know which) and sets make use of various New York City back screen projections. Being a former New York City resident, it's fun to figure out where some of the films neighborhoods are supposed to be. A wall map in the 16th Precinct squad room shows on the East 5th Avenue, West to the Hudson and from Central Park South  to 42nd Street. The 16th Precinct covered the area of Manhattan between W. 42nd St. and W. 52nd St. West of Fifth Avenue to the Hudson River. Its station house was on W. 47th Street. It encompassed Times Square and Hell's Kitchen. A rear screen projection in the opening sequence shows Chinatown and then a squad car passing the entrance sign to the Holland Tunnel, then it shows the skyline from what appears to be the West Side Highway. A backdrop through the window of the precinct house detective squad locker room shows the Paramount building and it's clock tower at 1501 Broadway. Anybody who's read Cornell Woolrich's Dead Line At Dawn, knows it plays a prominent part in the novel.

Another scene of the Taylor apartment shows the George Washington Bridge through a window, giving it a Washington Heights local. There is a scene down on Pike Street where the Manhattan Bridge is in the background its The Lower East Side. Later a body is recovered from the East River between the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, Chinatown. Another sequence has what appears to be an "el" station. The nearest to the Pike Street Lower East Side location would have been the 3rd Avenue el, but this one is a case of "movie" geography, There would have been no "el" station visible from Pike Street, the only other feasible possibility would be a subway train stopping on it's way over the Manhattan Bridge but there are no stations on the Manhattan Bridge.

DSCF6610.JPG
Dixon (Andrews) and Klein (Freed)

N.Y.P.D. Detective Dixon (Andrews ) and his partner Detective Sgt. Klein (Freed) are called back to a precinct detective squad-room meeting. A new head of detectives Lt. Thomas (Malden) is holding an introductory meeting. While there, Detective Inspector Foley calls him aside and chastises Dixon about his latest brutality complaint making now a string of thirteen.

Insp. Nicholas Foley: Your job is to detect criminals, not to punish them.

Dixon pushes back saying that he get's results. Foley tells him he's dropping him down a pay grade, and if he gets another complaint he'll be pounding a beat in uniform.

DSCF6622.JPG
"I get results"
Meanwhile Tommy Scalise (Merrill), a mid town hood, is running an illegal crap game in a suite of rooms in a Times Square Hotel. Newspaper reporter Ken Paine (Stevens) and his ex wife Morgan Taylor-Paine (Tierney) have snagged a "fish" from Texas and brought him up to the game.

DSCF6642.JPG
Morgan (Tierney) and Paine (Stevens)

The "fish" though, instead of dropping his wad manages to get up $19,000. At that point in the game Morgan declares that she has to work tomorrow and must go home. The Texas "fish" is all to happy to leave. Scalise mentions to him that it's not right to leave with all that cash and not give them a chance to win some back, but the "fish" counters that don't worry he's in New York City for the week and will be back to the game.

Ken is mortified and Scalise and his crew are ****. Ken confronts Morgan who insists she must leave. When she protests Ken slaps her. The 'fish" sees that and takes a slug at Ken. A short fight results in the "fish" knocked out and laying on the sofa and Ken and Morgan leaving.

Back out on patrol after their meeting, the patrol car carrying Dixon and Klein are called to a murder scene at a Times Square Hotel. It turns out the "fish" has gotten a knife through the heart and is dead in Scalise's suite.

DSCF6652.JPG
Scalise (Garry Merrill) 

Scalise points a finger at Paine saying he was pretty drunk. From dispatch they get a Pike Street address for Paine and head downtown. His brownstone apartment is empty but all his clothes and belongings are still there. Dixon says he' ll hang around and wait while Klein checks to see if he's out drinking in the neighborhood bars.

DSCF6656.JPG
Pike Street with Manhattan Bridge in the Background
Paine arrives at his flop and Dixon gives him the third degree. He tell's Paine that Scalise has pinned a murder on him. Paine, a belligerent drunk, refuses to go up to the station house with Dixon. After a brief struggle Dixon slugs Paine who falls down and hits his head on the floor. The fall actually kills Paine who, turns out,  was a war hero and had a silver plate in his head.

Panicked and thinking quick, Dixon get's a suitcase out of the closet, makes his apartment it look as if Paine grabbed his clothes and beat feet out of town.  Dixon drags Paine's body into an empty closet. Wearing Paine's trench coat he leaves the house and flags a cab down. Pennsylvania station he tells the cabby.  At the station ticket counter he buys a ticket for Pittsburgh and checks the suitcase into the baggage room. When he gets back to Pike Street Klein is waiting for him in the apartment. He tell's Klein that he got tired of waiting and figured he'd also check out more neighborhood bars. Klein reveals that apparently while he was gone Paine showed up and split. Dixon tells Klein to take a cab back to the precinct and organize a dragnet for Paine. He'll cruise around the neighborhood to see if he's still possibly nearby.

DSCF6680.JPG
Third Ave el or Manhattan Bridge subway?
When Klein heads off in a cab Dixon grabs Paine's body and hauls him into the hall. He hears a car squeal to a stop outside and ducks with the body behind a stairway. Jiggs Taylor (Tully), a cabby and Morgan's father comes into the hall and beats on Paine's door. Finding the door open and Paine gone he splits.

Dixon, once the coast is clear, gets the squad car, throws Paine in the back seat, and drives to the nearby East River. There, he knocks out a watchman and dumps Paine's body into the river.

Later, back at the squad room, Detective Thomas tells Dixon that they got a lead on the woman who was with Paine. Dixon heads to the salon where Morgan works as a dress model. He gets smitten with her, and takes her to lunch. At the restaurant he gets a call from the precinct telling him to report to an address under the Brooklyn Bridge. Paine's body was found floating in the river.

Later, Detective Thomas finds out about Jiggs going to visit Paine and suspects him as Paine's killer. It all goes Noirsville when Jiggs is arrested.

Noirsville

DSCF6690.JPG

DSCF6704.JPG

DSCF6700.JPG

DSCF6714.JPG

DSCF6694.JPG

DSCF6718.JPG

The main difference in the novel is that Paine has Morgan as his girlfriend rather than as an ex wife. Dixon still gets rough with him and accidentally kills him. In the novel it's Morgan who is the suspect in Paine's murder.

The film was supposed to try and keep the burner going under the Andrews/Tierney magic that ignited in the film Laura. It does manage to create some sympathy for Dixon's character once his backstory is revealed. Scalise is played to the hilt by Gary Merrill, he comes off as sort of a less sleasy more suave, slicker version of most of the type of characters played by Dan Duryea. Merrill obviously got more traction out of this. He did make quite a few more noirs but I've never seen half of them, Another Man's Poison (1951), Phone Call from a Stranger (1952), Night Without Sleep (1952), The Human Jungle (1954). I have seen A Blueprint for Murder (1953), Witness to Murder (1954) and the Transitional Noirs The Savage Eye (1960), and The Incident (1967). 

Entertaining 8/10 Full review at Noirsville

Panic In The Streets (1950) New Orleans Noir

The Granddaddy New Orleans Noir

The film opens with a credit sequence superimposed over a drive down Bourbon Street. Most of the classic neon signs and attractions are now sadly long gone. In the 1950's it's estimated that fifty different burlesque shows, striptease acts and exotic dancers plied their trade on Bourbon Street.

We see on the trek Lenny Gales Sugar Bowl. Lenny was a comedian from Buffalo, NY, in the Crescent City, they billed him "Gales Of Laughter," across the street is the El Mexico and El Rocco Bars/Restaurants. We pass The Original Toney' Spaghetti House at 212 Bourbon St. We see the Show Bar, with the Moulin Rouge across the street.  We drive past The Magic Lock Cocktail Lounge, Brennan's Vieux Carre' Restaurant, The Oriental Laundry (now Rick's Cabaret) the Gunga Den (now Stiletto's).

The Gunga Den's "Featured dancers during the 1950s-1960s included Von Ray the Texas Tornado (the Most Beautiful World’s Champion Flagpole Sitter), Carol Lynne (“Tanniger The Red Bird” who performed in a swinging bird cage), Penni Peyton (and her $100,000 Treasure Chest), Sandy Shore (the Shakin’ Queen of New Orleans), Wild Cherry and Kitty West (Evangeline the Oyster Girl)."  (Saint Charles Ave. Magazine)

We continue past The Famous Door Bar (still there), The Flamingo Lounge with The Treasure Chest Lounge across the street (gone). The Silver Slipper Club, Leon Prima’s 500 Club, Stormy's Casino Royal, The 5 O'Clock Club, and Rizzo's Restaurant, all gone, it's quite a tour of what we have lost, it would be nice to see that without the credits.

It's sort of a companion piece to The Killer That Stalked New York (1950). This go round the dead man found in the Mississippi is carrying pneumonic plague.

For those who may ask, pneumonic plague is a severe lung infection caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis. The symptoms include fever, headache, shortness of breath, chest pain, and cough. These symptoms typically start about three to seven days after exposure. It is one of three forms of plague, the other two being septicemic plague and the more familiar bubonic plague.

The pneumonic form of plague may occur following an initial bubonic or septicemic plague infection.

DSCF7055.JPG
B*l*a*c*kie (Palance)
He was an illegal alien named Kochak (Lewis Charles),who jumped ship. He was a cousin to a man Poldi (Guy Thomajan) who hangs around with a small time racketeer named **** (Jack Palance) and his second banana Raymond Fitch (Zero Mostel). He was sitting in on a card game at B*l*a*c*kie's. He was winning but was getting too sick to continue playing. He gets up and leaves with a lot of ****'s money. **** with Fitch and Poldi go after him they corner him down by the river. **** kills him and takes back his money.

DSCF7061.JPG

When the police find the body and do an autopsy the coroner notices the man obviously was very sick, his blood shows a bacterial infection. They contact Lt. Cmdr. Clinton 'Clint' Reed M.D. of the U.S. Health Service who confirms the coroner's findings. Reed recognizes the bacteria as pneumonic plague.

Reed shifts into high gear. He has the body incinerated and has all those who came into contact with the dead man inoculated. Calling a meeting with the Mayor and all the relevant members of the New Orleans city government they develop a plan of action. They have about 48 hours to contain an outbreak. One main point he makes is the importance of not notifying the press in order to avert the "panic in the streets" of the title. A mass evacuation of New Orleans could potentially spread the plague across the U.S.

Reed is teamed with New Orleans Police Department Captain Tom Warren (Paul Douglas) and they start off at loggerheads with each other. Warren wants to use the press to try and get a handle on the man's associates while Reed thinks if he does that the killers will just slip out of town. Reed lets the police pull in all suspects and "stoolies." Reed takes off for the Seamen's Hall and offers $50 dollars to anyone who can identify him. That offer gets the break they are looking for.

For **** and Fitch all the un-explainable hoopla from the police over an illegal alien register to them as "he must have been carrying something valuable." They hound the now sick with plague Poldi, who they think is holding out on them. They want to know what he got from  Kochak.

The film directed by Elia Kazan is beautifully shot in high contrast Black & White by cinematographer Joseph MacDonald. The use of actual locations recalls the use of New York City in Dassin's The Naked City, and ten years in the future 1960's The Savage Eye.

Noirsville

DSCF7089.JPG

DSCF7095.JPG

DSCF7115.JPG
DSCF7111.JPG

DSCF7129.JPG

Lt. Cmdr. Clinton 'Clint' Reed M.D. (Widmark)

DSCF7123.JPG

DSCF7131.JPG

DSCF7127.JPG

DSCF7135.JPG

DSCF7143.JPG

The cast is excellent. There are some great sequences in the film. The intense scenes between Poldi, Fitch and ****, the chase in and on the roof of the coffee warehouse, the scramble of the fugitives like rats under the docks. It hits on all cylinders. 10/10 Full review with more screen caps here Noirsville
  • Like 1

Woman On The Run (1950) San Francisco Noir

Woman On The Run functions as a de facto "time capsule." It captures visually the San Francisco of 1949-50 the way The Naked City did for New York and The Savage Eye does for Los Angeles.

Though, the very opening sequence, where artist Frank Johnson (Ross Elliott) is walking his dog Rembrandt and witnesses an execution, takes place in Los Angeles. It's actually on the stairs that lead to the South Hill Street Terrace on Bunker Hill above the twin Hill Street Tunnels near downtown Los Angeles.

By the way, the North terrace above those same tunnels is where Audrey Totter takes a stroll in The Set Up and that North terrace was where the house  where Burt Lancaster lived stood in Criss Cross.

The film is the story of Frank (Ross Elliott), his wife Eleanor (Ann Sheridan), a dogged S.F.P.D. Inspector named Ferris (Brian Kieth), and a determined reporter who wants to get the story Dan Legget (Dennis O'Keefe).

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B06.jpg

So, a car drives up to the end of a dead end street. It parks. We see two men talking. It gets ugly. A door opens. A couple of shots ring out. A body is dumped. Frank witnessed the whack. From the muzzle flashes Frank sees the killer. The killer in turn gets a couple of shots off at Frank when he spots him and realizes he was seen. The killer speeds off. Frank checks the dead man. Lights are going on in the surrounding houses. Frank yells to a man in a lit window to call the cops.

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B10.jpg

The police screech up. We find out that the dead man was going to be a witness in a high profile criminal trial. Frank gets grilled by Ferris S.F.P.D who asks him what he saw. When Ferris hears that he saw the the killer, Ferris tells him that he's now a states witness himself. Ferris wants him down at H.Q. for his own protection. Frank tells Ferris that he's got to drop off his dog first. Frank heads to his house. He drops Rembrandt off with Eleanor, and instead of waiting for Ferris and going down to headquarters under police protection he splits out into the night.

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B12.jpg
Eleanor (Ann Sheridan)

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B14.jpg
 Ferris (Brian Kieth)

The rest of the film is Eleanor, Ferris, Rembrandt, and a pushy newspaperman Legget, trying to track down Frank as they range all over San Francisco. During this ensuing chase we learn that Frank is a very good artist but has no confidence in his work. He working as a window dresser to get by, and Eleanor have been struggling in their marriage. We also learn that Frank has been diagnosed with a heart condition. Legget uses Eleanor's struggling relationship with Frank as a wedge.

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B17.jpg
Legget (Dennis O'Keefe)

Noirsville

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B42.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B20.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B32.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B55.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B42.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B44.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B52.jpg

Woman%2BOn%2BThe%2BRun%2B59.jpg

Woman On The Run was directed by Norman Foster who gave us Journey Into Fear (1943), and  Kiss the Blood Off My Hands (1948). It was written by Alan Campbell and Norman Foster and was based on the novel by Sylvia Tate. The cinematography was by Hal Mohr (An Act of Murder (1948), The Big Night (1951), The Wild One (1953)) and the music was by Arthur Lange and Emil Newman.

The film moves along at a great pace. It's not just a chase film but also an examination of love and marriage, trust and loyalty. All the actors perform flawlessly. Thank the Film Noir Foundation for finding and restoring a terrific film noir,(the only American print burned in a fire in 2008). 8/10 Full review with more screen caps at Noirsville
  • Like 1

Night Stalker (1972) Twilight Zone Neo Noir

"It Couldn't happen here."

Supernatural, Fantasy, Horror and SiFi based Noir have been around since the beginning. Classic Film Noir Era films that dealt with these subjects were Decoy (1946), Repeat Performance (1947), The Amazing Mr. X(1948), Fear in the Night (1947), The Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948), Alias Nick Beal (1949), Dementia (1955), and Nightmare(1956), there are probably a few more.

The Horror films to some extent and especially those produced by Val Lewton had very stylistic and atmospheric sequences extremely akin to Noir. Cat People (1942) and The Seventh Victim (1943) for example. Even some Fantasy/Dramas?Comedies included some very noir-ish sequences, think of the "Potterville" sequence of  It's A Wonderful Life (1946) or The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941).

All these examples predated the noir-ish Crime//Drama/Fantasy/Supernatural/Mystery melange type anthology TV series shows that would become very popular in the mid 1950's to mid 1960's. Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955–1962), The Twilight Zone (1959–1964), One Step Beyond (1959–1961)The Outer Limits (1963–1965). At the same time Transisional Noirs like Night Tide(1961), The Manchurian Candidate (1962), and Seconds (1966)  were similarly supernatural, SiFi or fantasy based followed by Neo Noir's The Psychic Killer (1975), Blade Runner (1982), Angel Heart (1987), Delicatessen (1991), Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), Lost Highway (1997), Dark City (1998), Mulholland Drive (2001), Sin City (2005)  Dark Country(2009), Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (2014). There are most likely more films of both Hollywood and Cable origins that fit above that I haven't seen, and continuing in this vein, probably some films that you may personally tune to that could be added also.

Producer, writer, director Dan Curtis (1927-2006) started his show business career as a salesman for NBC-TV in the 1950s and then went work for MCA. He worked his way up to producing, if I remember right it was a golf program.. It was during this time that he pitched this idea he had to ABC executives that was based on a dream he had had. ABC greenlighted the idea allowing him to assemble a creative team. The result was the at firat Noir-ish/Gothic soap opera called Dark Shadows. For a good dose of Noir cinematic memory, it's cast included a few Noir veterans, Joan Bennett (The Woman in the Window (1944), Scarlet Street (1945), The Woman on the Beach (1947), Hollow Triumph (1948), Secret Beyond the Door... (1947), Highway Dragnet (1954)). Grayson Hall in Transitional Noirs Satan in High Heels (1962), and The Night of the Iguana (1964). and Thayer David Baby Face Nelson (1957).

The shows first tip over into the supernatural was with the ghost of Josette Collins then followed by the Laura Collins character who showed up from Phoenix, Arizona by way of "Egypt." A practitioner of the Egyptian Book Of The Dead, she attempts to steal David Collins, to join her on a funeral pyre where they will be incinerated and be reborn for another hundred years. That was about episode 120 plus. It's cast included a few Noir veterans, Joan Bennett (The Woman in the Window (1944), Scarlet Street (1945), The Woman on the Beach (1947), Hollow Triumph (1948), Secret Beyond the Door... (1947), Highway Dragnet (1954)). Grayson Hall in Transitional Noirs Satan in High Heels (1962), and The Night of the Iguana (1964). and Thayer David Baby Face Nelson (1957).

From there they went full bore supernatural/mad scientist/SiFi, dealing with a menagerie of creatures with "feelings," vampires, witches, werewolves, a frankenstein's monster "Adam,"zombies, ancient aliens a la The Cthulhu Mythos, and an "Igor" named Willie. They only missed the invisible man. The show was popular, it spun off two films House of Dark Shadows (1970) and Night of Dark Shadows (1971).

Dan Curtis's next project was The Night Stalker (1971) the tale of Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin) Noir-ish newspaperman as de facto detective, tracking down a series of bizarre serial killer murders in Las Vegas. The bodies, all women, have their throats ripped out and are completely drained of blood. When Kolchack suggests to the police and the mayor of Las Vegas that they could be dealing with a vampire he's laughed at. For Noir cinematic memory no less than ten of the cast appeared in Classic Film Noir. Darren McGavin, Simon Oakland, Ralph Meeker, Claude Akins, Charles McGraw, Kent Smith, Elisha Cook Jr., Stanley Adams, Virginia Gregg and Barry Atwater as Janos Skorzeny.

The film is carried masterfully by Darren McGavin. McGavin did 9 films starting in 1945 then a TV show Crime Photographer TV 51-2, then mostly guest parts until he played Louie the drug pusher in The Man with the Golden Arm (1955), a couple more films including another noir The Case Against Brooklyn (1958), Then McGavin played Mike Hammer in the first TV series version that overlapped with another series Riverboat, then he did another Private Eye pilot TV called, The Outsider (1967), he played an ex-con private eye working the City Of Angels.

As a kid I remember McGavin most for quasi Western Riverboat and as David Ross private eye in The Outsider, the TV series that was spun off the TV film which I may or may not have seen. Fourteen years after Mike Hammer, The Outsider, created by Roy Huggins, only lasted a season. The character Ross was a loner, with no family. Huggins reworked that scenario, had him living in a trailer on the beach along the P.C.H, with his cranky father to the scenario, a police force buddy (like Mike Hammer had Pat Chambers) and a con friend to humanize the character even more. The reworked series was The Rockford Files. After 1970 there was about 10 year period where I was out in the boonies of Montana and didn't own or much watch a TV if you happened to live someplace where you picked up a signal.

My next encounter with the work of McGavin was as Sam Parkhill the Martian Pioneer in the TV miniseries The Martian Chronicles, And then his probably most memorable role to the majority of people as The Old Man Parker, in holiday favorite A Christmas Story (1983).

I didn't catch up to McGavin's Kolchak until about the turn of the century, and I still haven't seen the TV series.

Night Stalker - It takes a wooden Stake and two Hammers to Kill a Vampire.

DSCN8335.JPG
Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin)

Directed by John Llewellyn Moxey, adapted from the novel by Jeff Rice The Kolchak Papers by Richard Matheson (writer The Beat Generation (1959), Die! Die! My Darling! (1965), The Legend of Hell House (1973), and produced by Dan Curtis. The Night Stalker became ABC's highest rated original TV movie, it did so well it was actually released overseas as a theatrical movie and inspired a sequel TV movie titled The Night Strangler.

The cinematography was by Michel Hugo and music was by Bob Cobert.

Carl Kolchak is a pushy, eccentric, cynical reporter formerly from New York City who wears an out of style seersucker suit white loafers and a straw pork pie hat. He carries by a shoulder strap a Sony cassette recorder and totes either a Rollei 16mm subminiature camera, or a . He drives around in a slightly beat 1968 Chevrolet Camaro convertible that looks as if it was damaged by an under the hood fire.

The film begins in dive motel room. In a nice stylistic flourish A Sony TC-40 is giving us Kolchak's  Voice Over dietetic narration. We see Carl Kolchak laying on his bed proofreading his file to the narration.

Carl Kolchak [over the Sony cassette recorder speaker]: ........ This will be the last time I will discuss these events with anyone. So when you have finished this bizarre account judge for yourself its believability and then try to tell yourself, wherever you may be, it couldn't happen here.

DSCN8286.JPG

His file is about a series of brutal murders that took place recently in Las Vegas, and the official cover up that followed, when the authorities are afraid of  hurting the tourist and gambling biz. The victims are found completely drained of blood and with bite marks on their necks, oh, and what is found to be human saliva.

DSCN8294.JPG

DSCN8303.JPG

The first victim was a casino dealer found stuffed in a garbage can. In another stylish flourish we get a sort of "Corpse eye view." from the autopsy table as the County Coroner and his team find not a drop of blood in her entire body.

DSCN8305.JPG

Dr.  Makurji (Larry Linville) far left.

The next victim is a showgirl who is found again drained of in the middle of a sand  based construction pad with no visible footprints around. Apparently she was not placed there but thrown there by someone with inhuman strength.

DSCN8320.JPG

A lot of the humor derives from the back and forth between Kolchak and is incredulous Editor Vincenzo (Simon Oakland).

DSCN8324.JPG
Vincenzo (Oakland) and Kolchak (McGavin)
Carl Kolchak: Did I say it was a Vampire?
Vincenzo: What does just this headline say?
Carl Kolchak: The story makes it clear.
Vincenzo: Vampire Killer in Vegas? Do I misread?
Carl Kolchak: It makes it clear!
Vincenzo:Did I misread or did you use the word vampire?
Carl Kolchak: Some screwball who imagines he's a vampire is loose in Las Vegas and people ought to be told!
Vincenzo:If there's a screwball loose in Las Vegas his last name begins with a K

Kolchak's one true ally is his old friend Bernie Jenks (Ralph Meeker) an FBI man stationed in Vegas

More chuckles in the exchanges revolving around the authorities and Kolchak,who first think, this is Vegas after all, and its obvious that they are dealing with some nutcase who thinks he's a vampire. The D.A played by Kent Smith suggests it's somebody .....

D.A. Pane: "High on pot or the hard stuff."

DSCN8337.JPG
D.A. (Kent Smith)

DSCN8336.JPG

County Sheriff Butcher (Claude Akins) 

But gradually as more victims are found, the police shoot him multiple times to no effect, and a regional blood supply is raided, (this is an up to date  vampire who even BTW passes himself off as Hematologist, and drives a 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury), Pane, County Sheriff Butcher (Claude Akins) Police Chief Masterson (Charles MacGraw) are all having to come to the realization, at Kolchak's needling, that they really are dealing with a real living dead vampire.

Kolchak's girlfriend Gail Foster (Carol Lynley) gives him a book on vampire lore, and at the next strategy meeting Kolchak suggests that all police offices are issued a cross, a wooden stake and a mallet. He also tells them that they might as well abandon their current methods because at night the creature is invincible.

DSCN8385.JPG

Bernie Jenks (Ralph Meeker), Chief Matheson (Charles McGraw) Kolchak

Noirsville

DSCN8404.JPG

DSCN8371.JPG
Mickey Crawford (Elisha Cook Jr.)

DSCN8366.JPG

DSCN8409.JPG

Janos Skorzeny (Barry Atwater)

It a nice mashup of Noir and Horror. McGavin is excellent. Barry Atwater as the vampire Janos Skorzeny is genuinely creepy, emitting an unearthly hissing growl when he is "on the bite." This is no reluctant Barnabas Collins vampire, or Dracula distinguished count. The creative decision was to make the vampire a bloodthirsty land shark. Bravo! 8/10

Full review with more screen caps here Noirsville

Night Strangler (1973) Twilight Zone Neo Noir

Night Strangler - Down in the underground

The first film was extremely successful and the second instalment actually improved upon the formula. It garnered very strong ratings and ABC ordered a TV series.

DSCN8423.JPG
Elliot Bay Ferry
Directed by Dan Curtis, written by Richard Matheson. The cinematography was by Robert B. Hauser, and the music was Bob Cobert.

The film stars Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak, Jo Ann Pflug as Louise Harper, Simon Oakland (who himself played a reporter in the Noir I Want To Live) as Tony Vincenzo, Scott Brady (younger brother of Lawrence Tierney  and a vet of six Classic Film Noir) as Capt. Roscoe Schubert, Wally Cox as Titus Berry, Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch of the West from the The Wizard Of Oz (1939)) as Prof. Hester Crabwell, John Carradine (Fallen Angel (1945)) as Llewellyn Crossbinder, Al Lewis (The Munsters TV Series (1964–1966) ) as Tramp, Nina Wayne (sister of Carol Wayne Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966)) as Charisma Beauty, Virginia Peters as Wilma Krankheimer, Richard Anderson (a veteran of three Classic Noir and Classic SiFi film Forbidden Planet (1956) as Dr. Richard Malcolm/Dr. Malcolm Richards.

DSCN8428.JPG
Seattle Monorail as de facto 'el"

Carl Kolchak: This is the story behind the most incredible series of murders to ever occur in the city of Seattle, Washington. You never read about them in your local newspapers or heard about them on your local radio or television station. Why? Because the facts were watered down, torn apart, and reassembled... in a word, falsified.

Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin), is in Seattle after being run out of Vegas. He's in a bar with his Las Vegas Vampire story, telling it to anybody who will listen. The patrons are sort of off put. They humor Carl for a while then split.

DSCN8452.JPG
Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin)
Tony Vincenzo walks into the same bar hee hears Carl's familiar voice and asks the bartender a question.

Vincenzo: Take a look around that corner, and see if there isn't someone that looks like he just came from a road company performance of "The Front Page."

Vincenzo hires Kolchak to cover the story of the strangulation killing of a belly dancer. The one murder is followed by a series of killings all in the Pioneer Square area of Seattle in which all the victims, are not only strangled but have their throats literally crushed and then drained of a few ounces of blood from a puncture wound at the back of their necks. The kicker is that the coroner's report states that all the victims so far, had traces of rotting flesh on their necks.

Another witness tells the police that the killer looked "like a dead man." When Vincenzo publishes Kolchak's story the Seattle Chief of Police (Scott Brady) flips out.

DSCN8457.JPG
Kolchak and Capt. Schubert
Capt. Schubert: You know what I call that? Irresponsible yellow journalism. Fast buck journalism. The kind of seamy journalism one might expect to find is some second rate metropolis. The sordid brand of journalism which is based not on the public good but on the cash register.

DSCN8492.JPG
Mr. Berry (Wally Cox) "I envy you."
When Kolchak heads to the newspapers research department he runs into department head Titus Berry (Wally Cox). For Cox it's a natural, he had a knack for playing understated nerd type Poindexters. For me, he was probably best known for his repeated guest appearances on various game shows, but he did have a very popular TV show Mister Peepers which ran from 1952–1955. The show won him two Emmy nominations. He was also the voice of the animated cartoon character Underdog on Underdog (1964-1973). According to a mini bio at IMBd "His television persona was that of a shy, timid man in horn-rimed glasses who spoke in a tentative, though distinctly enunciated, voice. It was a persona that his long-time friend Marlon Brando said was completely at odds with the real man."
It's been said that his appearances on the The Hollywood Squares (Daytime) (1965), the quiet guy  with a keen knack for sarcasm, was probably closer to the real Cox. This film was his last movie.

There is a very humorous sequence between Kolchak and Berry.

Mr Berry: Here we go.
Carl Kolchak: Thanks.
Mr Berry: Most welcome. I envy you.
Carl Kolchak: You do?
Mr Berry: Research... that's where the joy lies.
Carl Kolchak: Joy.
Mr Berry: And the fascination. Let the others scurry about gathering the contemporary bits of gossip. This [points to book] is where the meat is found.
Carl Kolchak: Meat.

Berry, continuing his research, also discovers that there were similar killings in 1952, going further back similar M.O. killings have occurred in 1931 and every 21 years going back to 1889. Another fact was that each series took place in a period of eighteen days. He even finds a police sketch based on a witness description of the strangler looking like a corpse.

Berry tells Kolchak that "out of burning curiosity" finds a an old interview with Mark Twain and the picture and mention of a Dr. Malcolm Richards a Civil War veteran who was a member of the original staff of Westside Mercy Hospital in the Pioneer District. In the interview, Richards mentioned to Twain his series of tests on his theory of a life extending elixir using human blood.

When Kolchak goes to the site of the old hospital he finds a Malcolm Richard Clinic there. When entering the clinic Kolchak see's a painting on the wall of  the clinic's founder, Malcolm Richards who is the spitting image of Dr. Richard Malcolm things go Noirsville.

Noirsville

DSCN8523.JPG

DSCN8532.JPG

DSCN8555.JPG

DSCN8498.JPG

DSCN8537.JPG

Louise Harper (Jo Ann Pflug)

DSCN8529.JPG
Professor Crabwell (Margaret  Hamilton)

DSCN8564.JPG

DSCN8565.JPG

DSCN8575.JPG
Dr. Malcolm Richard/ Richard Malcolm (Richard Anderson)

DSCN8467.JPG

Charisma Beauty (Nina Wayne)

DSCN8441.JPG

The film was as successful as The Night Stalker, and this resulted in ABC actually shelving a third TV Movie and deciding to develop the TV series and have it produced by Universal. 8/10. Full review with more screen caps in Noirsville.
  • Like 1

Cold Around The Heart (1997) Road Trip Neo Noir

"Why did ya do it? What makes a man go so low?"

It got lost in 1997, that's year that had an impressive trifecta of Jackie Brown, L.A. Confidential, and Lost Highway. The year before saw Fargo, Hard Eight, Mulholland Falls, and the little gem Hit Me (1996) come out. The year after Dark City, A Simple Plan, The Big Lebowski. It's an OK road **** with a bit of style and a lot of problems. No wonder nobody remembers it.

It was directed and written by John Ridley, the cinematographer was Malik Hassan Sayeed, the music was by Mason Daring.

The film stars David Caruso as Ned Tash, Kelly Lynch as Jude Law, Stacey Dash as Bec Rosenberg, Chris Noth as "T", John Spencer as Uncle Mike, Pruitt Taylor Vince as Johnny 'Cokebottles' Costello, Richard Kind as Attorney Nabbish.

Story

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B01.jpg
Mojave Desert
We hear a voice over narration. A woman's voice is telling the story of Ned and Jude.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B02.jpg
Ned (David Caruso)
On the run. Mojave Desert. Getaway. Jewelry store smash and grab. It goes wrong. Three bodies doing the big cool. A modern day Bonnie and Clyde. Ned and Jude.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B03.jpg
Jude (Kelly Lynch)
Speeding down an Arizona two lane. Cop car intercepting. The lovers final embrace. A last kiss. Ned makes a grab for the jewels. Jude flips the handle on the door. Ned gets pushed out. Jewels stay with Jude. Ned goes body surfing on the black top. Ned in the road. Jude blows him a kiss. Jude pedal to the metal speeds away.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B05.jpg

Ned in the local hospital. One of those boonie first aid stations. A cop guarding the door. A grate guarding the window. Ned gets a visitor. Court appointed shyster. Nabbish, tells him he'll do all he can.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B10.jpg
Ned and Nabbish (Richard Kind)
Lawer Nebbish: I Figure you got eight years to live.....  Why did ya do it? What makes a man go so low?

That question triggers a flashback. What makes a man go so low? It's a woman. Jude, and we see them in bed. Jude is riding the baloney pony, They are hot and heavy. Suddenly Jude starts laughing. Coitus interruptus. ****. Ned asks what's so funny?

Jude: What if Jeannie and God had a fight?
Ned: What?
Jude: Jeannie from I Dream Of Jeannie.....
Ned: You crazy ****...

The mood broken. **** gone. One of her idiosyncrasies. She can't understand why he's so sensitive. They plan the heist.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B16.jpg

Back to the present. Ned wants to make his one call.

Lawer Nebbish: I don't know who you're calling but unless its God I wouldn't waste a dime.

Ned fakes taking a strong sedative. The nurse tells the guard cop that he'll be out for hours. The cop goes out to the hall. Ned gets out of bed. Spits out pills. Wedges a chair under the door knob. Gets dressed. Kicks out the window grate. Jumps out the window. Splits.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B17.jpg

Sometime later we see Ned in a used car lot buying a used Lincoln Continental, He pays cash and drives off. Juxtaposed with a similar sequence of Jude buying a Chevy Super Sport.

Later, Ned is driving down the highway on the prowl looking for Jude.  He picks up Bec a young pregnant black woman hitchhiking, running away from home. As soon as she gets in the car she pulls a gun on Ned and tells him to drive. He gets the gun away from her at a **** stop, and finds out that she's not pregnant. He takes pity on her when she tells him that her alkie father either beat her or raped her.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B24.jpg
 Bec Rosenberg (Stacey Dash)
Jude meanwhile is in Los Angeles trying to fence the diamonds to Johnny 'Cokebottles' Costello, but he tells her with the heat so high on account of the three dead bodies he won't touch the rocks. When Jude pulls a gun on him she finds out that Cokebottles has a hidden bodyguard ready to cut her down.  She leaves and ends up ditching the diamonds in one of the cars at a nearby deserted wrecking yard.

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B25.jpg
Cokebottles (Pruitt Taylor Vince)

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B26.jpg

Ned goes to the safe house of a an ex con buddy he calls his Uncle Mike. Mike take them in. While there Jude calls and Ned tells her that he is going to kill her. After talking to Jude, Ned calls his buddy "T" and tells him to be on the lookout for Jude

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B33.jpg
Uncle Mike (John Spencer) and Bec
Things are cool until Mike tries to rape Bec Ned shoots him. When Ned finally meets up with Jude he finds that he can't shoot her, but he wants the diamonds. Jude seeing a way to screw Ned tells him that Cokebottles is holding them. She draws him the set up and expects that Ned will get killed when he tries to shakedown Cockbottles.

It all goes Noirsville.

Noirsville

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B08.jpg

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B30.jpg

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B34.jpg

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B44.jpg
"T" (Chris Noth) and Ned 

cold%2Baround%2Bthe%2Bheart%2B35.jpg

The film is quite stylistic but the script is a bit whimsical with too many coincidental sequences. David Caruso is good as Ned but he and Kelly Lynch have about zero chemistry. Stacey Dash and Pruitt Taylor Vince are convincing. Chris Noth is adequate but has the least to do.

The film does have a lot of visual style too bad the rest didn't hold up. The story has been done before. The equivalent of a borderline "B" film. It uses The Turtles "So Happy Together" for  the lovers theme, 30 years late, pretty lame there too. Watch it if you can find it, 6/10 Full review with more screen caps at Noirsville.
  • Like 1

They Drive by Night (1938) Brit Noir, Directed by Arthur B. Woods, starred Emlyn Williams, Anna Konstam, and Allan Jeayes. Williams a convict, just out of prison, is the main suspect in the murder of a taxi dancer gal pal, who he finds dead. The reason is that he's seen by the landlady acting strange as he leaves the boarding house. He splits, heading North with a lorry driver. 6-7/10.