You know you are addicted to TCM if....

....You look at movies and say "oh look it's in color"

....you feel a film is lacking unless Robert Osborne introduces it

....you try to get your husband to install a tv w/ cable above your bathtub

....when you turn on the tv it is automatically on TCM

....your 8 and 10 year old kids know who Bette Davis is

....your animais are named freddy, ginger, bogie and baby

....you can't sleep unless the tv is on

....you get up in the morning and check what is on for the day and THEN get your coffee

....you know the names of the films that roll behind the rating screen before a film comes on

....you notice something has been moved on the set

....your DVR is %90 full with TCM films

....your heart beats a little faster when you hear the "dum dum dum dum" of the rating screen

....you look at the clock and say oh it is 7pm, "lets see what Robert is doing"

....you really don't know what people are talking about when they talk about things on TV the night before

....your 2 year old watches "singing in the rain" everyday

....you think of Frank Sinatra's Oceans 11 as the "Real one"

....you call the people on TCM CFU "friends"

....your kids can name the classic movie stars depicted in "Looney Tunes"

....you would rather read an autobiography of a classic movie star than the NY Times bestseller

....people see an old movie and think of you

....you watched the "moguls and movie stars" series more than twice

....people think you only own 1 shirt the "TCM" shirt

....you know the difference between the Marx brothers

....you refer to sunday's as "silent sundays" and the kids think it means nap time

....you get up and TRY to dance with Fred Astaire

....you know Max Factor was a real person, not a cosmetic company

....you finish the crossword puzzle in the Now playing magazine a month in advance

....your LCD TV has burn marks from the Letterbox format on TCM

and finally

....you are reading this and saying "I do that!!!"

It is kinda scary but EVERY one of those things apply to me. I think I qualify!!

Do you have any good ones?

It's more than the films.

The fact that there really are no commercials is the most refreshing thing.

I can't watch other channels; the advertising is relentless, banal, prolonged, insulting, tedious and AWFUL!

You know you're addicted to TCM if...

You plan your days off around the long-term TCM schedule based on days full of precodes or noir.

You go to the dentist, the hygienist hands you the controller for the TV and says "anything but news". You change the channel to TCM and get to catch most of 1929's "On With the Show". The hygienist never makes this offer to you again. Yes, this happened to me when my dental appointment coincided with Joe E. Brown's birthday tribute two years ago.

I have to take off of work one day a week as a furlough day. I check the TCM schedule to see what day I want to take off. I also try and do any errands around the movies I want to watch. I am so glad that TCM puts out the schedule months in advance.

I have also stayed up entire nights to watch movies that I wanted to see. And then have gone to work with no sleep.

Your dental hygienist didn't appreciate Joe E. Brown's mouth? :-)

For me, the moment came when I was watching *Rhapsody In Blue*. I missed the opening credits, and a few minutes in there was a scene with Gershwin and his music professor. I immediately blurted out, "That's Albert Bassermann!"

...the first thing you check on your e-mails is the threads you put on "watch thread list" and the second thing is to check the forum yourself.

...TCM sends more than 20 e-mail reminders a month for movies you wanted to see.

...your decision to get cable or dish depended solely on TCM availability.

> {quote:title=CjHuthmaker wrote:}{quote}

> You know you are addicted to TCM if....

>

You have two DVRs whose hard drives are almost full of films, mostly from TCM, and two DVDRs with HDDs that are almost full of films, mostly from TCM, and you have at least 200 DVDs burned from those DVDRs, of TCM films that you haven't had time to watch yet.

@valentine I have over 400 DVD of stuff recorded off TCM but didn't want to put that on here for fear of getting them taken away :)

AND I STILL CAN APPLY MYSELF TO EVERY ONE OF THE ONES LISTED SO FAR!!

I'm estimating 200, it's probably somewhat more, but with 400, I'm sure you have me beat. If I could afford to retire, and then live another 20 years, I could probably watch them all... :)

I have around 125-150 DVDs that have an average of 3 movies each. My kids know more than Bette Davis. When they had the 100th anniversary I think it was, with all the movie clips flashing past, I could name almost all of them. I have a friend that I visit a few days every couple of months or so. He doesn't have TCM. I have 2 VCR/DVD burners so I have enough time to get all the movies I'll miss.

Edited by: moreta41 on Apr 24, 2011 10:00 PM

you know and recognize the names and faces of stars from the 4:3 frames than you do from contemporary movies.

if you're happy to see...

Ned Sparks

Edna May Oliver

Frank McHugh

Edgar Kennedy

Tom Kennedy

Guy Kibbee

Aline McMahon

Ruth Donnelly

Irving Pichel

Dick Elliott

Gene Lockhart

Alan Dinehart

Grant Mitchell

Harry Davenport

Just to name a few of the great character actors!

Yancey

> {quote:title=CjHuthmaker wrote:}{quote}

> You know you are addicted to TCM if....

>

> >

> ....your DVR is %90 full with TCM films

>

>

This is a MAJOR problem. I'm fortunate enough to have TCMHD...but it means like 10 movies fill the whole DVR.

I go in and delete my husband's reordings of GLEE, TALK SOUP, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, etc etc....just to make room for yet another obscure early 1930s movie.

Once I watch the movies I have to erase them to make room for more. It's traumatizing.

Yancey, I love your post!!! That's me all over!

This is a great thread! I'm totally addicted!! And don't want saved! :)

Ok PART TWO!!!

You know you are addicted to TCM if....

....Your husband feels jealous that I get more excited to see Robert than I do Him

....You take your husband to Hollywood to met RO and after just a couple of days amongst us He is now calling himself A Fan-atic: Fan-atic: to be a fan and enjoy the activity but can't give up certain pieces of his life for it

....I took my kids to a field trip to the "Old Mill" used in the movie "Gone With The Wind" and then spent 3 days discussing history, ecology, mathematics, and even a short stint on photography still and motion

....you are still watching this thread and have hound NOTHING that anyone has said that doesn't apply to me!!!

markbeckuaf -

Glad you liked my post!

It often doesn't matter if the movie is good or not, as long as one of these great faces graces the screen I'm very happy to watch.

Harold Huber

John Litel

Ben Welden

Thomas Gomez

Edward Brophy

Mantan Moreland

Maude Eburne

Alison Skipworth

Laura Hope Crews

Albert Bassermann

Dwight Frye

Maria Ouspenskaya

Beryl Mercer

Willie Best

Grady Sutton

Yancey

You are addicted if..

The channel selector is a useless function because TCM is the only channel programmed in.

You have a large portrait of Robert Osborne hung above the fireplace.

Your house has accumalated more cobwebs than the Munster's mansion.

The TCM Essentials are soda, popcorn and Depends.

You haven't seen the great outdoors (basicly anything outside the front door) for over 5 years.

You know you are addicted if:

You can remember your wedding anniversary because you were married on April 13,1994 - the day before TCM first began broadcasting.

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> I go in and delete my husband's reordings of GLEE, TALK SOUP, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, etc etc....just to make room for yet another obscure early 1930s movie.

>

> Once I watch the movies I have to erase them to make room for more. It's traumatizing.

I don't have a DVR right now, so the enjoyment of TCM is fleeting.. and so important.I have concluded you cannot postpone what is your joy.

Don't worry too much about your spouse. There's hulu and CBS website has most of the stories there..

Yancey,

Another great post, with more great names that I also adore seeing in any film, no matter what! I love the character actors and actresses of yesteryear! They all groove!

A friend was showing me his photo album. In it was a photo of him and in the background was a television set. The image on the tv was a milk bottle sitting in front of a door. I said, "Oh, you were watching The Clock!". He was stunned that I could recognize a movie from such an innocuous still picture of a prop, to which I replied...

...Thank you, Turner Classic Movies.