Sign in to follow this  
CjHuthmaker

You know you are addicted to TCM if...

47 posts in this topic

Way too many of these apply to me. But that's a good thing. I can quit anytime I want to, only, I don't want to.

Here's a few more that actually apply to my family.

You know you're addicted to TCM if....

...when someone mentions "Maltese Falcon," you say, "Which version?"

...you see one frame of a movie through a window and know exactly what movie they're watching, who stars in it, what part of the movie it is, and what line comes next

...you recognize John Ford's stock character cast as old friends

...you can name all the Best Picture winners, and offer suggestions for who should have won

...February 14 means it's the middle of 31 Days of Oscar, not Valentine's Day

...you know the Marx Bros' real names, even Gummo

...you can tell the "Thin Man" movies apart

...you can tell the Busby Berkely musicals apart

...when other people talk about "Dancing With The Stars", you think it's a Fred and Ginger marathon

Great thread, CJ. Will add sending photos of famous film stars to friends on your cell phone and they don't know who's in the picture.

Having a cell phone slide show of academy award nominees and winners for the past several decades.

No longer watch channels with commercials.

LonesomePolecat,

I love your one on The Maltese Falcon different versions. Whenever someone asks me that and then I reply "which version" they look at me like I have 80 heads!

you all have made me so happy with all of the responses!! I am going to collect them all with your screen names and if you want your real name and town and but them into a bound book and send it to the Network as a Thank you from us!!!

Whenever anyone tries to sneak something by you, your instinctive response is "You can't get away with that---that's *ARSON*."

Your favorite insult is "Must be tough on your mother, not having any children."

When you've just recorded Baby Face for the fifth time, "just in case something happens to the first four."

Edited by: AndyM108 on May 9, 2011 7:33 AM

You are walking down the street and you see a business named after a movie title. You can name the actors in the movie, the summary of the plot, the running time of the movie and the studio which released the movie. This occurance happens to me constantly.

There is one business which I walk past frequently which I wish was named for a movie: "Soft As A Grape". Sounds like a great title for a comedy/romance film. There is also the "Regal Beagle" which would make a great Dogville short.

Ah yes! And may I add Eric Blore, Allen Jenkins, Patsy Kelly, Glenda Farrell, Nigel Bruce, Felix Alymer & Virginia Weidler?

Your coworkers introduce you to new employees as "The Encyclopedia" or "The Film Savant" and then dare the new employee to stump you with a film that you haven't heard of, or can't name an actor in it, or the year it was released.

So many of these apply to me! My TV rarely is on another channel unless I'm in a music mood.

You know you are addicted to TCM when the majority of your Facebook status updates concern a film in that day's lineup.

Or....when your 3 year old asks for busby berkeley musical numbers by name.

Okay, here's a few more that definitely apply to my family:

You know you're addicted to TCM if....

....the only crossword puzzle you can actually finish is the one in the Now Playing Guide

....you talk about the TCM Message Board Posters as if they're your friends

....you never watch a movie without thinking of how to work it into a schedule for the next TCM Programming Challenge

....you force your friends to watch classic films the way others force friends to watch their vacation movies

....you refer to Drew Barrymore as John's granddaughter

....you are angry at Alan Hale Jr for using his brilliant father's sacred name to star in Gilligan's Island

....you talk about classic actors as though they are your friends

....you call classic actors by their first name

....your other TCM addict friends and family recognize who you're talking about when you call them by their first name

....you call the movie stars by their real birth names

....you call Laurence Olivier "Larry"

....you have your own private nicknames for classic films

....your other TCM addict friends and family know exactly what you mean when you say "Let's watch 'Nuckle-Boy' or 'Miracle'"

Whenever anyone tries to sneak something by you, your instinctive response is "You can't get away with that---that's ARSON."

Your favorite insult is "Must be tough on your mother, not having any children."

When you've just recorded Baby Face for the fifth time, "just in case something happens to the first four."

And when you actually know who spoke these lines and which movies they came from. LOL.

I actually remembered that the first line was Jean Harlow in Libeled Lady and the second one was Ginger Rogers from 42nd Street. I also record many movies over and over again as I'm hoping for better copies. I have five copies of many TCM movies.

Ohh, oh...I wanna play...I have a few! In no particular order

You know you are addicted to TCM if..........

You name your female newborn, "Tara"

If your last name starts with the letter M, your child's name (no matter how many you have) always have first and middle names that begin with "T" and "C" (Thomas Charles Moore or Tiffany Charlene Maxwell)

When company comes over to your house, you dont greet them immediately. You stand on a spot, then approach them saying "Hi, I'm (state your name)" like RO does for every movie intro.

You have friends and relatives pick what movies to watch at your house and have a Guest Programmer Night.

You edit vacation movies and home movies in their significance and memory status and show them to family while narrarating(sp) it. After it's over, you end it by saying "For (state your name: for example Thompson) Thompson Vacation Movies, I'm Joe Thompson.

Oh...ok, finance...I didnt realize that. Hmmm....I have a John Wayne line as a user name and I cant be taken seriously. Wow. Well, I guess you cant listen to any opinion or serious thing a comedian says because he/she is just into funny business and their whole career is falling down, cracking jokes or fouling things up. I mean their whole life is humor, but I use a Duke line and I cant be taken seriously.

Wow....ok. I guess from here on out I will form no serious opinion, thought, remark, statement, line, talk or conversation.

I didnt know the line was that shallow to cross.

I still would find it difficult to accept a serious analysis of Ingmar Bergman's films from somebody named "FillURhand, you SOB". You may be a Bergman scholar, for all I know.

Edited by: finance on May 20, 2011 3:56 PM

I get disappointed when I see they are showing the same movie every month or twice a month. My reaction to seeing the trailer and knowing every word of it for "Splendor In The Grass" and thinking, geez, not again! It is a great movie, but surely they can screen the movies they want to sell us!

You know you're addicted to TCM if ....

...you can do the entire "Singin' in the Rain" dance... and "Moses Supposes"... and "Good Morning"