Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

A Tradition Is Born

12 posts in this topic

A Tradition Is Born - The Footprints in the Chinese Theater Forecourt

"In 1926, Sid Grauman commenced work on his greatest theater to date--the Chinese Theatre. As concrete was being poured to create the sidewalk of the building, he accidentally stepped into it. Accompanied by his friends Mary Pickford and her husband Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., Grauman also encouraged them to place their feet into the cement. Later, the three recreated this fortuitous event and enshrined their footprints and signatures in concrete for the very first official "Footprints" ceremony where they remain today in the Grauman's Chinese courtyard."

Copy of still_GraumansFairbanks01

Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford

"These original sidewalk slabs were removed in 1958 for another historic occasion--the installation of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. After being stored away from the public eye for nearly two decades, TCM is proud to present a display of three concrete slabs that are a part of the birth of this tradition."

To learn more about the "discovery"of these original footprint slabs, go here -

http://mimlay.com/blog1/2011/02/19/lost-and-found-original-1927-graumans-chinese-theatre-footprints/

--------------------------------

At the 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival, Peter O'Toole will be the latest honoree of having his handprints/footprints enshrined in the Forecourt of the Chinese Theater. He will join many other stars also featured in the Festival's programming. Here are a few on their special day.

Copy of still_GraumansMarx

The Marx Brothers, (A Night At The Opera)

Copy of Still_GraumansChineseBarrymore

John Barrymore, (Night Flight)

Copy of Still_Chinese_BabesInArmsPremiere1939

Judy Garland, (Girl Crazy)

Copy of still_graumansRogers

Ginger Rogers, (Shall We Dance, Golddiggers of 1933)

Copy of Still_GraumansRooney

Mickey Rooney, (Girl Crazy)

Copy of still_graumansGrable

Betty Grable, (Coney Island)

Copy of still_GraumansTrigger

Roy Rogers and Trigger, (Trigger Jr.)

Copy of Still_ChineseMonroeRussell

Marilyn Monroe, (Niagra)

Copy of Still_GraumansChineseReynolds

Debbie Reynolds (The Unsinkable Molly Brown)

Copy of still_graumansSinatra

Frank Sinatra (The Man With The Golden Arm)

(Click Through on the Above Images to Access Larger Versions)

Kyle In Hollywood

=========================

Hi all-

We just wanted to let you know that Robert Osborne will unveil the original Grauman's Chinese sidewalk slabs at 10:30am on Thursday, April 28 in Club TCM at the Hollywood Roosevelt. If you're a passholder and in town, please come by!

We can't wait to see you!

TCM Classic Film Festival

I'll do my best to get there too. I am really interested in seeing these artifacts. And maybe I'll get a chance to chat with RO too?

Kyle In Hollywood

MrCutter and I talked it over this evening and we plan to be there as well!

Today (in about an hour) the Original Concrete Slabs from the forecourt of the Chinese Theater that were on display at the 2011 TCM Classic Film Festival will be sold at auction. Here's the auction listing (with nice photographs of each).

http://www.icollector.com/A-Tradition-is-Born-the-concrete-slabs-that-launched-the-Grauman-s-Chinese-courtyard_i10499701

Check out the "minimum bid" required to open the bidding. Ouch!

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

I think this is one of the things I find most baffling about L.A. Selling such iconic pieces of history is so reeking of lack of respect for the public that made Hollywood what it is. Everything seems to be about making a buck, and hoarding history by the wealthy. Tear down that landmark over there and build a pseudo-Mediterranean villa with imported palm trees landscaping it. Ugh.

For me, one of the major delights of attending the festival, beyond having folks buy me drinks, is finding those little-known pieces of history that are out there to be found. Not the latest outdoor shopping mall with the same businesses that are in every "upscale" mall in the country.

Just sayin'.

David in Seattle

Kyle, I think the $40,000 they went for is reasonable, considering their part in Hollywood history. Probably a tax writeoff for somebody. What gets me is the fees of $7200 the high bidder had to pony up to the auction house.

I wonder who bought them? What will they do with them? I keep fantasizing that somehow they'll end up at the Smithsonian.

Kyle, I'm curious about the movie titles accompanying the photos. For instance, the Judy Garland shot reads "Girl Crazy", but the photo looks a few years previous to that movie. Ginger's picture looks circa 1940, rather than 1933 or 1937. Are these just some movies for which they signed the wet cement, but not necessarily the actual photo of the named event?

*"Kyle, I'm curious about the movie titles accompanying the photos. For instance, the Judy Garland shot reads "Girl Crazy", but the photo looks a few years previous to that movie. Ginger's picture looks circa 1940, rather than 1933 or 1937. Are these just some movies for which they signed the wet cement, but not necessarily the actual photo of the named event?"*

I feared that might be confusing. The titles accompanying the cement photos are of films that were being shown at the Film Festival this year and not of the premiere when they were having their hand and foot prints put into the cement.

The Judy Garland ceremony took place during the premiere of *Babes In Arms*. Ginger Rogers was for *Kitty Foyle* (I think). The ceremony with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell was for *Gentlemen Prefer Blondes*.

Sorry it was confusing.

Kyle In Hollywood

{quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}I feared that might be confusing. The titles accompanying the cement photos are of films that were being shown at the Film Festival this year and not of the premiere when they were having their hand and foot prints put into the cement.

The Judy Garland ceremony took place during the premiere of *Babes In Arms*. Ginger Rogers was for *Kitty Foyle*, I think). ...Sorry it was confusing.{quote}

No worries; I'm easily confused and now it makes complete sense. And it was a nice test. It shows what freaks we are: you show a photo and we'll pinpoint it to a date. "1937? No, that's 1940!"