Sign in to follow this  
classicsstarlets

AUGUST SCHEDULE IS UP!

45 posts in this topic

WOW. Just a minute while I pick my jaw up off the floor. Half the month consists of highlights for me.

Paulette Goddard gets a day

Ronald Colman!!! (including a couple of silents with the Talmadge sisters)

Ralph Bellamy gets some time in the spotlight

Ann Dvorak! (including some rarely seen early 30s flicks)

Lon Chaney gives us a day of silent dramas

Jean Gabin! (a non-Hollywood star!)

Conrad Veidt!!! (including some of his British and German work)

Joan Blondell!!! (lots of pre-Codes!)

Linda Darnell's day includes a number of Fox movies

If even half of that ends up being shown, I'll be a very happy camper. :D

It's the SUTS Schedule :D

1- Marlon Brandon

2- Paulette Goddard

3- Bette Davis

4- Ronald Colman (YAY YAY YAY)

5- John Garfield

6- Lucille Ball

7- Ralph Bellamy

8- Orson Welles

9- Ann Dvorak

10- Shirley MacLaine

11- Ben Johnson ? (not sure if I got this one right)

12- Claudette Colbert

13- Jimmy Stewart

14- Charles Laughton

15- Lon Chaney (YAY YAY YAY)

16- Joanne Woodward

17- Bogie

18- Jean Gabin (YAY YAY YAY)

19- Debbie Reynolds

20- Montgomery Clift

21- Cary Grant

22- Joan Crawford

23- Conrad Veidt (YAY YAY YAY)

24- Joan Blondell (YAY YAY YAY)

25- Burt Lancaster

26- Peter Lawford

27- Linda Darnell

28- Carole Lombard (YAY YAY YAY)

29- Anne Francis

30- Howard Keel

31- ? (not showing up on the schedule)

Obviously I am most excited about the YAY YAY YAY's ;)

But having my 3 favorite actors Bogart, Stewart and Grant ALL on the schedule well that is quite wonderful too.

And I actually suggested Gabin for SUTS. I can't believe it actually came true. How wonderful!

Edited by: Kinokima on Apr 26, 2011 7:46 AM

OMG--A whole day of Jean Gabin!!!! I can't believe it!!! I LURVE HIM SO MUCH!!

His day follows Humphrey Bogart, an American star he's often compared to. If you've only seen him in The Grand Illusion, do yourself a favor and check out at least a couple of his other films. He's really really good.

ETA: I've only seen 4 of Gabin's films they're showing that day so it will be a treat--guess I'll have to clear off the DVR before then.

Also noticed Hangover Square on Linda Darnell day. That will thrill Dobbs throroughly.

Edited by: helenbaby on Apr 26, 2011 7:24 AM

It looks like a good assortment of stars. Besides those on the schedule, I'm pleased about a couple who aren't...Katharine Hepburn and John Wayne.

Looks great! I'm looking forward to the Colman, particularly White Sister; and all the Blondell, Chaney, and Dvorak films.

But, forgive me, I have to say it: NOT NORTH BY NORTHWEST AGAIN!!!! It's on next month (June) as well. I know, I know, I just have to say it!

I hope they are not really showing "The End" at 6pm. That Burt Reynolds film (for Joanne Woodward day) is not the kind of film they could show then. I have a copy and I don't remember the language would be acceptable at that hour. Although Dom DeLuise is a riot.

This is one of the most interesting line-ups for SUTS I've seen. Great work, tcmprogrammr!

And THANK YOU FOR BEN JOHNSON day. You made some BenJ fans very happy.

Jean Gabin, Ann Dvorak, Conrad Veidt...very impressive. Last year was Fox contract

star Gene Tierney, and this year we get Linda Darnell. Wonderful!

Hooray! "Stand-In" is finally scheduled on Joan Blondell Day! I'll surely post a reminder sometime around, oh, August 20th --

But the first time I saw the Shirley Temple satire is one of the few times my jaw literally dropped. And then I howled with laughter.

Yes, I know it wasn't directed at Shirley herself as much as at stage mothers and the tendency of Hollywood to grind a good thing into the ground, but it was a refreshing lesson that there were no sacred cows in the mid 1930s either.

> Hooray! "Stand-In" is finally scheduled on Joan Blondell Day! I'll surely post a reminder sometime around, oh, August 20th --

I'd be curious to see the 1934 version of *Million Dollar Baby*. While not starring Blondell, it's about parents who dress their son up as a daughter to win a contest at a studio that wants a new Shirley Temple. (It's from Monogram, so I don't expect it to show up any time soon.)

The Blondell movie I wouldn't mind seeing again is *Blonde Crazy*. Well, that and *Night Nurse*.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

>

> The Blondell movie I wouldn't mind seeing again is *Blonde Crazy*. Well, that and *Night Nurse*.

*Night Nurse* is scheduled for June 9th at 6:00 AM.

I enjoyed seeing *Blonde Crazy* as part of Ray Milland's SOTM celebration.

Terrific! A Ronald Colman day! And some of his Silents are in the mix! Wow! debut's of both *KIKI,* and *HER NIGHT OF ROMANCE!* Would have been great to have *HER SISTER FROM PARIS* too. Not to mention *THE WINNING OF BARBARA WORTH* with Vilma Banky and Gary Cooper. It's been on MGM HD. Still, I believe that is is that first time ever for a Norma or Constance Talmadge Starring feature on TCM!

Other Colman's, I knew we wouldn't get *BEAU GESTE (1926),* or *THE NIGHT OF LOVE (1927)* also with Banky, but maybe sometime? However, *LADY WINDERMERE'S FAN (1925)* is a Warner Brothers Silent. So that might have been more manageable. And it has been on TCM in the past. Though not for about 7 years. *THE SPORTING VENUS* with Blanche Sweet, or *STELLA DALLAS* (both '25), with Belle Bennett, Alice Joyce, Lois Moran, and Douglas Fairbanks Jr might pop up eventually. Would be great to see these on TCM. At least *VENUS* is an MGM picture. Both are in need of recorded scores. I was surprised how both films were referenced during the intro's to the sound remakes just this past week.

The Lon Chaney Day is good news, but where is *THE BLACKBIRD (1926),* with Renee Adoree and Owen Moore? It's only been shown once on TCM in October of 2008. And I had something to do with that broadcast happening. Since I wondered why this had run on foreign TCM's, but not hear in the States. Took about 5 years to make it across the pound. *OLIVER TWIST (1922)* might be a TCM premiere? Although I was kind of hoping for *FLESH AND BLOOD*

Have to study the rest of the schedule more carefully. Great to see Linda Darnell have her own day.

Speaking of silents I was kind of disappointed not to see The Man Who Laughs on Conrad Veidt's day. I know it's not really an unknown silent but I haven't seen it yet and that would have been a nice day to play it. But I guess the Hand of Orlac (which I have also not seen is a nice alternative).

Of course the Cabinet of Dr. Caliguri is a must so I am glad that is on the schedule.

And speaking of Conrad Veidt...Jew Suss sounds interesting as well (obviously very different from the Nazi 1940 film).

And why aren't more people talking about SUTS?

It's a really nice SUTS line up.

Lots of things that are either new to TCM or making a return after many years. JEW **** looks interesting, glad that MASSACRE made it back after a very long absence. A day of Jean Gabin films should be good and whats not to like about Carole Lombard and Lon Chaney having their day in August?!? Another great month! Thanks TCM! :D

The SUTS lineup looks great, with a little something for everyone, and a lot for many of us. LonesomePolecat will be thrilled that The Yellow Rolls Royce has finally made it to TCM.

Some of the ones that interest me most include:

We Were Strangers

The Professionals

Mr. Arkadin

F for Fake

Sidewalks of London

Le Jour se Leve (and all of Jean Gabin day); the wonderful American remake, The Long Night, is also on

Flamingo Road

The Spy in Black

A Woman's Face

The Leopard

Two Flags West

Fallen Angel

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

> But, forgive me, I have to say it: NOT NORTH BY NORTHWEST AGAIN!!!! It's on next month (June) as well. I know, I know, I just have to say it!

Maybe they could run it backwards, and call it South by Southeast.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Apr 27, 2011 1:28 AM

Joan Blondell alone makes the month for me!!! OMG!!!! One of the sexiest dames of the pre-code era!!! I'm freaking over that!!!

And lots of pre-codes, not only on her day, but throughout the month!!! While, as always, there are some days I'll be using the DVR to catch up on my faves that are being screened during the month, there is on the other hand plenty of grooving flix to keep that DVR brimming!!! Another winner from TCM!!

Pretty lackluster. The crown jewel is, of course, Lon Chaney. Other good choices are Ann Dvorak, Ronald Colman, Ralph Bellamy, Conrad Veidt and Joan Blondell.

Paulette Goddard - where are THE CAT AND THE CANARY and GHOST BREAKERS?

Bette Davis (yawn) - only 2 pre-Codes

Humphrey Bogart (yawn) - only 3 1930s titles

Claudette Colbert - no pre-Codes; where is MAID OF SALEM?

Joan Crawford (yawn) - only 2 pre-Codes

Val, wouldn't that make it South by Southeast? Just had an idea for a mini-series. Films with directions -- NBN, East of Eden, South (the Shackleton film), Ten North Frederick, Calling Northside 777 (great film, on Fox this week), West of Zanzibar (on TCM in August), etc. That would give them another excuse to show NBN!

But the one I really want to see is South Sea Sinner, with Shelly Winters a la Sadie Thompson, with Liberace as her accompanist!

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> 31- ? (not showing up on the schedule)

Another glitch in the renovations... May 31 and July 31 do not show up on those respective months either.

You can find the 31st's schedules with the daily and weekly options. (As of a few minutes ago, the August info wasn't yet available in those formats.)

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Pretty lackluster. The crown jewel is, of course, Lon Chaney. Other good choices are Ann Dvorak, Ronald Colman, Ralph Bellamy, Conrad Veidt and Joan Blondell.

>

> Paulette Goddard - where are THE CAT AND THE CANARY and GHOST BREAKERS?

> Bette Davis (yawn) - only 2 pre-Codes

> Humphrey Bogart (yawn) - only 3 1930s titles

> Claudette Colbert - no pre-Codes; where is MAID OF SALEM?

> Joan Crawford (yawn) - only 2 pre-Codes

Gosh, I think it looks pretty good for pre codes that don't run all the time, all things considered....(didn't check the dates on the 1934 films, just assuming they are)

*Headline Shooter (1933)*

*Unholy Garden (1931)*

*Narrow Corner (1933)*

*West of Broadway (1931)*

*A STRANGER IN TOWN (1932)*

*Side Streets (1934)*

*Gentlemen Are Born (1934)*

*Friends of Mr. Sweeney (1934)*

*This Is the Night (1932)*

*The Reckless Hour (1931)*

*Central Park (1932)*

*Lawyer Man (1933)*

*Brief Moment (1933)*

*No More Orchids (1932)*

*The Racketeer (1929)*

Depending how badly you want to see MAID OF SALEM, it is on a Claudette Colbert set....

> Gosh, I think it looks pretty good for pre codes that don't run all the time, all things considered....(didn't check the dates on the 1934 films, just assuming they are)

>

What is the 1934 cut-off date to be considered a pre-code?

Ah, Jean Gabin day...a lot of these are unavailable in the U.S. so this is a truly fantastic addition to the SUTS schedule.

Edited by: JonasEB on Apr 27, 2011 12:44 AM

> {quote:title=rbfrys wrote:}{quote}

> > Gosh, I think it looks pretty good for pre codes that don't run all the time, all things considered....(didn't check the dates on the 1934 films, just assuming they are)

> >

>

> What is the 1934 cut-off date to be considered a pre-code?

I'm pretty sure the cut-off is July, 1934. SMARTY starring Joan Blondell was released in January of 1934 and it has some great pro-code situations and dialogue in it. HEAT LIGHTNING, released in March of 1934 was condemned by the Catholic Legion of Decency, just to name a couple of late entries...