Sign in to follow this  
Ascotrudgeracer

Maurice Chevalier...REPELLENT!

46 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> You can't find Chevalier Repellent any more. It hasn't been made since he died. I guess you could check eBay. Maybe someone has an old bottle of the stuff.

****! :D

I just about did a spit take on my computer screen! Nice one! :D

An actor whom I like alot is Victor Francen. He was Belgian. Played Chevalier's older brother in Fanny. Francen had a supporting role in The Mask of Dimitrious in which he gives one of my favorite performances ever on screen. He's brilliant, always gave excellent performances. I believe he was a friend of Charles Boyer.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > You can't find Chevalier Repellent any more. It hasn't been made since he died. I guess you could check eBay. Maybe someone has an old bottle of the stuff.

>

> ****! :D

> I just about did a spit take on my computer screen! Nice one! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you... better on your screen than your keyboard. :)

> {quote:title=johnm_001 wrote:}{quote}

> I reserve the use of the word, repellent, for Robin Williams.

AAARRRGGHH!! Why did you have to bring up the name of Robin Williams?? Just when i was content with thinking of MC.as "repellent"! RW.is just about the biggest @rshole in the universe! "Irritating" and "****" are way to mild of words to use when describing him. Poor old Maurice is way better than RW.,even if Maury is a bit "repellent". JR.

Tiki--I've always harbored a thorough distaste for Charles Boyer. I can't tell you why except his acting seems so phony and pompous to me.

Between Boyer and Robin Williams maybe we should start another thread?

My first exposure to Chevalier was Gigi. The whole premise to that movie kind of creeps me out. Still can;t believe they managed to make that movie in 1958. I mean seriously? The grandmother and great-aunt train little Gigi to be an..ahem...courtesan, then try and pimp her out to a family friend who she grew up with and regards as an older brother? OK they get married in the end but...wow.

Chevalier learned his style in French music halls, and his personality was perfect for pre-Code Paramount. If you only know the later Chevalier of "Love In The Afternoon" and "Gigi," check out some of his early work -- not just the Lubitsch films, but stuff like "The Big Pond" and "Love Me Tonight." Pure Gallic charm.

I wish the movie Fanny would have been made like the broadway show using the music. Chevalier would have been wonderful singing the songs. I've always liked him very much. You can't judge old movies by todays moral standards. No one talked about child abuse then. So if an old man talked about "Thank heaven for little girls", there was nothing creepy meant by it. It's a musical comedy, for heaven's sake! No more, no less.

We've really stumbled on to a gold mine here. I have a feeling we could be talking about repellent and irritating actors until 2025.

Tiki and Cujas - I too dislike Charles Boyer, but I know it's purely psychological -- the first movie I saw him in was Gaslight. From then on every other movie I see him in makes me scream "DON'T TRUST HIM!!!! HE'S A KILLER!!!" But then I guess if he was a better actor I wouldn't feel that way.

Maybe so--but he was an evil man and a murderer also in "The Earrings of MMe." and he stoled Jean Gabin's role in Pepe le Moko with Algiers--copied it verbatim--or whatever. So I guess he's a murderer and a thief. NY hotel and restaurant people said he was also a bad tipper.

Well--I guess we ought to give him the chair.

Maybe so--But I still LOVE Maurice Chevalier--He is truly the greatest proponent of the European Music Hall Performer. My second choice would Stanley Holloway (Doolittle in "My Fair Lady).

I actually really like Chevalier, and I have a very soft spot for his pre-code movies(Lubitsch and Love me Tonight particularly) and I did like him in some of his later films as well. I am a musical fan though, so I could see why his style would not suit everyone.

Maurice Chevalier was a Nazi, that's all there is to it. It's like watching documentaries, where we know the guy in the lead (Prince of Windsor, whoever -- even Chanel) can't hide his background.