[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
HomesoulM

Pre-Code that Pushed the Envelope

51 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hopkins was one of a kind and she was really in her element in Pre-Code films (but also did some fine work once the code was enforced).     

As for responsible for creating the code (I believe you really mean the code being enforced in July of 1934);   Well I would like to credit Hopkins more so than Mae West!

I assume you're referring to THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE.

For years I've wondered about the remake, which is supposed to be more faithful to the novel-- SANCTUARY starring Lee Remick. Someone uploaded it on YouTube recently and I watched it last night. From 1961, it was obviously made during the production code years, but Zanuck the producer is really pushing the envelope with the material.

They've added in a plot from a second Faulkner story, where Temple's maid murders the child Temple had. So it starts with the courtroom trial then flashes back to how she had been stranded and sexually taken advantage of. Bradford Dillman is the long-suffering boyfriend; and Yves Montand plays the bad guy. They've changed his character's name from Trigger to Candy Man-- he was called Popeye in the book. And they justify using a French actor, because supposedly he's a man in Louisiana bayou country who speaks French.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(1961_film)