Sign in to follow this  
wouldbestar

Festival Love Letter

25 posts in this topic

I made it back after nearly getting in trouble at airport security over the Hawaiian Punch and ice in my travel mug. I had to convince them there was nothing dangerous with the ice. I did but barely.

First, to CineMaven: Thank you for arranging for me to buy your pass to Warners. Walking the lot where I had once dreamed of working was an unexpected but delightful treat. It was worth the price. After I got my foot out of those heels Thursday evening, gave it a night's rest, and back into the moccasins everything was fine.

SueSue, lz, and Kyle: I'm sorry I didn't get to spend much time with those of you I really wanted to get to know. I know you all had upgraded passes that let you into a lot of the important stuff I registered too late for. Thank you all for welcoming and being a friend to me when you could. I will be better prepared if I can make it back.

I chose to see films that I was not familiar with or had not seen in some time. Except for Night Flight, which I missed by a whisker, I got in to see:

Cabin in the Sky - great singing and music. Saw Eddie Anderson be someone other than "Rochester". Met Donald Bogle.

Carousel - very dark musical with beautiful music but themes that are both old-fashioned and pertinent. For me, Sinatra and Garland would not have been as good a team as MacRae and Jones who seemed born to play the roles.

Cowboy and the Senorita - Met Cheryl Rogers Barnett and thanks to Mongo's birthday photo of co-star Guinn Williams the Monday before, I was asked to participate in the after-film discussion. She verified he was as nice and friendly as he looked in it.

Girl Crazy - saw Nancy Walker as a young woman and would not have missed the interview with Mickey Rooney for anything.

Laugh-O-Grams - Primitive as they were the smiles came easy and you could catch glimpses of what was to come from Disney. The baby steps to Fantasia.

A Streetcar Named Desire - There are NO words to describe the power of that film. I was so shattered at the end I could barely move to leave the theater.

That's Entertainment - my Night Flight consolation prize was one in itself. Loved every minute. Marge Champion was a delight and should I make it to 91 I only hope I have her love for life.

This is the Night - funny, racy, definitely pre-code. My introduction to Lili Damita and Jennifer Grant's beautiful memories of her life with Cary gave me new respect for him as a person. Thelma Todd was brilliant and I'd never seen the young Charlie Ruggles before.

A Tribute to the Nicholas Brothers - You have to see this to believe what these two men could do in dancing shoes. Not even Astaire and Kelly-who dance with them in home movies and on screen-could top them. This alone was worth the trip.

The Unsinkable Molly Brown - Great movie and Debbie Reynolds was all the "Golden Girls" rolled into one. Nobody there will ever forget her after this.

I got pictures of the inside of Grauman's and The Egyptian which I hope turn out as that starburst on the Grauman ceiling blew me away. And every time I thought I'd seen all the stars on the Walk of Fame, I'd find a new one. I'll bet I find more next time.

Thank you, IRS. Your return was well spent.

It was so wonderful to meet you! Thank you!

Cute closing...

And I am so glad you posted about your experiences here. :)

Hi there Wouldbestar!!!

I'm so happy you enjoyed the Warner Brothers tour. I'm glad my ticket didn't go to waste. I, too, had on heels Thursday night for TCM's Vanity Fair party and it was a feat of superhuman strength I called on, to be able to walk in my heels outta that party and back to the Roosevelt. Girl, I felt ev'ry step, and tried to look comfortable as I walked out of the party and into the hotel. Whew!!

Oooooh I see you saw a bunch of films I didn't see. The only one we have in common was "THE TRIBUTE TO THE NICHOLAS BROTHERS." Harold and Fayard Nicholas were out of this world, weren't they? And I was sitting in the row in front of the Nicholas family that was there. (Though the littlest kid couldn't settle down and they had to take him out of the theatre. Shhhh!!!)

Hmmmm...Sinatra and Garland, wouldbestar??? That's some casting.

I agree to be inside Graumann's Chinese Theatre was an unmitigated thrill! Imagine all the celebrities who has stepped inside there. The Walk of Fame all throughout Hollywood had me looking down most of the time. I saw over the moon at finding Jon Provost's 'STAR.'

It was a pleasure to meet you during the trip. The festival was a veritable Olympic sprint to get from place to place. I hope you met a bunch of nice folks in your travels.

Take good care!

:D CineMaven. :D

Thank you, cinecrazydc. It was nice to meet you, too. :)

I really enjoyed meeting wouldbestar and chatting with her so much, and enjoyed reading her

Festival Love Letter.

Wouldbe,

It was so cool meeting you! I wish we had more of a chance to hang-out but this year was crazier than last year and if you wanted to see a film, you had to get in line for it early or run the chance of missing out.

But, I now have a face to go with your name and am very grateful for that.

Perhaps next year we will have more time!

:) Maven: The person introducing Carousel said that Sinatra was in New England to begin filming when he discovered two cameras-one Cinemascope and the other Cinemascope 55-and learned the movie would be shot twice. He demanded a double salary and left when that was refused. Gordon MacRae was slipped in over the week-end.

As for Garland, she was battling her demons again and Fox went with Shirley Jones. Since MacRae and she had just scored with Oklahoma! I guess they figured lightning would strike again. It didn't but not because of them. I still think they were the better choices; Garland was too old by then to be a convincing ing?nue and Sinatra would not have blended the tough and soft as subtly as MacRae did.

I really enjoyed the food out there. There's both an Hawaiian B-B-Q and a Wing Stop at Sunset & LaBrea with an ice cream parlor across the street. I can still taste the garlic-parmesan and hickory smoke wings. Also, should you find yourselves in the Denver Airport/Megamall with hunger pangs look for Steak Escape in the Food Court at the halfway point. For $8.00 you get a 12-inch sandwich loaded with meat or chicken and veggies. I ate there coming out and returning.. None of these places are back East so I'm out of luck.

I have no idea what my financial status will be next year but will try for it again. I really hate flying-beautiful as the Rockies were I was fighting panic or trying to sleep all the way over them-so I think I will just book with Hotel.com and take extra time to go Greyhound. Oh, yes, I will register earlier too. Here's hoping and thanks again. ;)

Hi there ...Star - I flew back to NY. I regret not taking the railroad. (I took Amtrak to California). Would you consider Amtrackin' it out West if TCM definitively has a third film festival? Being on the ground might assuage your fears.

Steak Escape, huh? I seemed to have forgotten that the airlines (well...

American Airlines, anyway) no longer feeds us on the plane. I didn't eat anything my entire flight over this country. (ACK!) I flew from LAX to Dallas-Fort Worth, had to deplane only to get back on the same plane again (...same seat on the aisle. AND on the Dallas-NY/LaGuardia leg, NO ONE was next to me. I stretched out like a...well, you can finish the sentence if you remember Lucile Watson's line in "THE WOMEN").

Sue Sue said to bring snacks so I packed those apple fruit and cereal bars and Hawaiian Punch packets you add to water. I went United and they let you fill up on complementry orange or applecran juice so I did. Just wait until after the security folks check your carry on to make the punch from a water fountain. I filled my cooler with hotel ice and punch mix before I checked out so it would be cold on the trip. Big mistake as the folks at Bob Hope thought that the ice meant it was some dangerous substance and was going to confiscate the cooler. I offered to open it and drink some of the melted part to prove what it was. They tested it with some stick and let me take it on through. Only I could almost get arrested over a soft drink.

Tampa to DC to Chicago to LA is the only way I can do it by Amtrak. Greyhound is through Houston or Dallas then Arizona to LA. They take about the same time. I would like to see the real country so I'll try one of these. It's a long way off so I have plenty of time.

As to stretching out-all my seats were window but on the Denver-Tampa leg I traded for a center so a couple could sit together. I figured the seats were all alike. To prove no good deed goes unpunished I was cramped in between a sleeping window person and a woman with a laptop trying to make a movie of her daughter's music recital. At least with the window seats I could move a bit. Thankfully for everybody I slept through most of it. Home never looked better.

Do we have a screenplay here?

I'll tell you what TCM should try.....

A festival on the rails. Pick a cross country tour for a few days and mount a mini festival on board a moving train. Much like those mystery train trips across the country. They could even do a festival on movies with trains as an emphasis.

Great idea, fxreyman!

Wouldbe, I so enjoy reading about your experiences and remember my Tampa days with great fondness. Thanks for giving us a window to your world!

Snacks helped me with my flagging energy as this was a very fast-paced, fun-packed festival! :)

That is a great idea. A couple of years ago TCM did a theme of films with trains. They also did one in that timeframe on films on aviation. I remember going into the aviation theme thinking how great it would be, and was disappointed. Conversely, I remember thinking how limited the train theme would be, yet it turned out to be fascinating. Something about the space limitations of train travel forces directors to be more creative or interesting. Or something.

David in Seattle

Beat L.A.

It was great to meet you, David! :)

Were you able to meet wouldbestar?

Great to meet you too, Ms. Applegate!

No, I didn't meet wouldbestar, at least, not under that moniker.

David in Seattle

Beat L.A.

No, I don't think we did meet unless you're the guy who treated everybody at the Roosevelt lobby bar to a drink. Perhaps we should have the option of putting our "alias" on our passes next year as well as our other name if we wish. I was supposed to meet SueSue, lz and CineMaven at the bar Wednesday evening but wondered how I'd know them. I had just walked in when I heard a woman-Sue-say she was looking for wouldbestar or I might not have. Any ideas?

{quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}The person introducing Carousel said that Sinatra was in New England to begin filming when he discovered two cameras-one Cinemascope and the other Cinemascope 55-and learned the movie would be shot twice. He demanded a double salary and left when that was refused. Gordon MacRae was slipped in over the week-end.{quote}

The Road to Hollywood series that preceded the Festival brought Elmer Gantry to San Francisco. Ben Mankiewicz attended and interviewed the Oscar-winning Shirley Jones before the screening. She looked gorgeous and I was sorry to see that she wouldn't be joining us at the Festival. However, she did tell us the backstory of Sinatra and Carousel.

First she told the story as you shared it. Sinatra arrives, learns of the two cameras, makes his demands and storms off. Then she looked at the audience and asked, "but do you know the real story?" She said she didn't know the real story until decades later, but everyone seemed to know but her. It seems that Ava Gardner had called Sinatra and gave him an ultimatum that he should high-tail it to her or else. So he arrived on the first day, feigned surprise at the two filming processes and made his impossible demand. Fox, of course, refused; and off he flew to Ava's arms.

{quote:title=SueSueApplegate wrote:}Snacks helped me with my flagging energy as this was a very fast-paced, fun-packed festival!{quote}

One of the attendees had a brilliant idea: why not have "cigarette girls" sell little sandwiches and snacks to those in the film queues. We were often stuck in lines for an hour or so -- and hungry! They could have raked in the dough and added to the ambiance. I hope someone picks up on this for next year.

Hey there Jack Burley...thanx for telling that true story. Sinatra rises in my estimation...b'cuz what man in his right...sane mind would NOT answer AVA's call!!! That's right ol' Blue Eyes!!!

...And Jack let us open that concession. Feed the fans and then see the movie and make enuf money to attend TCM's fourth film fest. ;-)

{quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}...And Jack let us open that concession. Feed the fans and then see the movie and make enuf money to attend TCM's fourth film fest.{quote}

For a free pass, I would gladly don the cigarette girl outfit.

*For a free pass, I would gladly don the cigarette girl outfit.*

Spit take across my computer! You owe me a glass of wine for the image emblazed on my brain.

TCM already has the outfits.

Music Box Candy Vendors

At The Vince Giordano Concert Friday Night

ph: Edward M. Pio Roda

TCM

I am lobbying for TCM to get the "In-N-Out" Food Truck to park on the Blvd. for the entire weekend.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 8, 2011 8:22 AM

{quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}I am lobbying for TCM to get the "In-N-Out" Food Truck to park on the Blvd. for the entire weekend.{quote}

The Boulevard is already strewn with burgers joints. My kingdom for a vegetable!

I was fairly collected coming home and the day after but then it all started coming back and I spent the rest of the week half here and half back there. I kept wishing I could have stayed longer although logic would remind me this is home base. I'm back to reality but the memories are with me forever. I hope to return with a better pass so I can enjoy even more.

One thing is I always felt safe there no matter what the time of day. You're supposed to get to your airport two hours before departure so Monday morning I was pulling my suitcase from Sunset and La Brea to the Coffee Bean across from the hotel at 4:45AM to get the 5:00 bus to Bob Hope and make my 7:30 flight. This would be scary business where I live-I've been mugged waiting for a bus to work at 7AM-but there everything was well lit and unthreatening. After I got home I found LAX on a map and realized that if I had to fly I'd made the right choice and not just because going and coming on Metro only cost me $2.50. Less was definately more.

I've found they have Wing Stops here too so I can enjoy those garlic-parmesan wings and think of you all. Stay safe and happy!