Sign in to follow this  
Debwill2

A NEW LOW FOR TCM

71 posts in this topic

*"... But, just what would it take to raise YOUR red flag(?)"*

After having a pleasant and reassuring conversation this past weekend with the new General Manager of TCM (Hi Jeff! Pleasure to meet you!), everybody should toss their red flags into the nearest rubbish bin. Nothing's going to change.

All the Upper Management of Turner Networks know what a wonderful and unique channel they have with TCM. In terms of viewer loyalty, it is (nearly?) unprecedented for a television channel. I doubt that they want to be the one to destroy that while TCM is under their custodianship.

If you are a fan of TCM for the past ten years, the objective is to continue that "tradition" with the same persons in place that have been responsible for instilling such devotion among its viewers.

There is no need for any angst, worry or cynicism - unless one chooses to be. The future of TCM will be much like its past.

Kyle In Hollywood

TCM runs only one or two of these off-beat home-movie "documentaries" each year. Like the one about the coal miner's strike and the one called "Grey Gardens", and the long interview with Martin Scorsese's mother.

We've had a pretty good year so far in 2011, with a lot of old '30s and '40s movies every month so far. So I'm not going to complain about this home video about the flood. I watched part of it, and I wondered why the people didn't evacuate like the Mayor told them to do. They had plenty of warning to get out of town.

Did anyone have any trouble understanding the dialogue in it? I noticed that the dialogue became so incomprehensible in some parts, the video makers added sub-titles to the bottom of the screen, so we would know what the people were saying. But after about the 257th use of the colloquial term, "mutha ***ka", I lost interest in the show, and I decided to watch a Bin Laden special on the news.

But I turned TCM back on for Jacques Tati's "Playtime", which was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen anywhere. It's absolutely brilliant. In the early parts, with the wide shots of the inside of the modern French office building, that was like a three-ring circus, with funny stuff going on at the same time all around different parts of the screen.

I was quite surprised by the lineup, especially considering that the Moguls and Movie Stars came on at 7. Not the type of lineup I expected to follow it. I actually do enjoy documentaries, but I agree that these choices just didn't seem TCM fare.

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

>... just what would it take to raise YOUR red flag, that TCM IS GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, Infomercials about ShamWow????? By that time it would be too late to do anything about it.

But I like those ShamWow commercials. I thought they were hilarious. What happened to Vince, anyway? I haven't seen him shill for the SlapChop in ages.

*everybody should toss their red flags into the nearest rubbish bin. Nothing's going to change.*

This is a subject that came up again this year at the *Meet the Staff* panel at the TCM Film Festival.

Like last year, the staff addressed the issue and assured the audience that they are dedicated to the channel and that there are no nefarious plans to follow the path that AMC has blazed.

The staff, like all of us, are big classic film fans and love working for a channel that understands how important our film heritage is.

So, please, put down the red flags.

Who needs Sham-Wow when we already have *Wonderful World of Tupperware* (1959) -28 minutes- which is airing again at 5:30 ET on this Saturday? ;)

I remember the crisis when TCM aired television programs which were interviews of stars and another crisis when the Jacques-Yves Cousteau documentaries were aired and another crisis when TCM dared to air a movie made in this century. I can not properly search the archives of this board but I believe TCM's imminent decline into utter debauchery has been a regular problem for more than a decade. I do hope someone is keeping a proper record of all the things which have led to TCM being what it is today.

It's not a movie, it's a documentary on victims of Katrina, and as if you aren't interested in knowing how New Orleans survived that! Shame on you all. The house they showed directly across from the levee, as if that was going to survive. Are you guys kidding w/your pedestrian comments? As if your lives could even be harmed at all by this disaster? You should be ashamed of yourselves. Since when did TCM not be in the business of documentaries? That you wouldn't even be interested in where the victims of Katrina were today; shameful. The youngsters there, and the history of American music. You guys are idiots. Good luck.

I don't think that the comments made by people here or the original poster is showing disrespect for the victims of Katrina but was simply trying to make a point that such a very recent event of a natural weather related disaster is not suited for TCM. There are other channels that can air such material like The Weather Channel.

Katrina was an awful event in human history :( but so is the tsunami in Japan or the recent tornado outbreak. Should TCM be airing these as well?

There is another channel that is doing something very similiar by showing material that is not suited for that paticuliar group, The *Science Channel.* Why on Earth is a channel that suppose to be showing science related subjects are airing the series "Firefly"? This is *science fiction* and is best suited for the Sci Fy channel. I think this is the point some of us are trying to make.

But I guess there are those that wants "The Night of the Living Dead" to be shown on the Food Channel to satsify one's appetite. :D

Although I doubt very seriously that Time-Warner will do the same for it's own very exclusive channel, TCM. For TCM to switch over to commercial supported programming, Time-Warner will need to justify this reason by declaring that cable subscriptions along with minimal advertising from TCM's video sources and other forms is not enough to support the movie channel. And I do not see this happening for sometime if ever.

TCM is a unique channel in the Time-Warner system. It is one of the few cable entities to have won the Peabody Award, and really I do not think Time-Warner wants to screw this up. They know when they have a winner on their hands.

From wikipedia.org:

For most of its first 18 years, AMC provided uncut and uncolored films without commercial interruption. Its revenue came from the cable providers that offered the channel to subscribers. However, AMC then gradually began to put ads between, and then also within, movies.[15] This began in 1998 when AMC began incorporating limited commercial interruptions between films, while its sister movie channel Romance Classics became an entirely ad-supported channel.

On September 30, 2002, AMC changed its format from a classic movie channel to a more general movie channel, airing movies from all eras, including colorized movies; with the majority of pre-1970 movies airing in late nights, mornings, and early afternoons. Kate McEnroe, then president of AMC Networks, cited lack of cable-operator subsidies as the reason for the addition of advertising, and cited ad agencies who insist on programming relevant to their products' consumers as the reason for the shift to recent movies instead of just classics.[16] At the time of the format switchover, the company also attempted a spin-off digital cable channel, AMC's Hollywood Classics, which would have required viewers to pay extra to receive the channel. This commercial-free digital cable channel would have aired the black-and-white classics of the 30s, 40s, and 50s that American Movie Classics had been airing up until its format changeover, but the new channel did not come to fruition.[16]

On the AMC site, the channel claims to air fewer commercials per hour than most other basic cable channels. As it is now an advertiser-supported channel, the network television version of a movie is aired whenever possible. In 2004 AMC aired its first reality show, titled "Film Fakers." In this show out of work actors were auditioned believing they were getting their big break with a major part in a real movie, and then after a week told it was a prank and there was no movie. A New York Times article on the show said, "'Film Fakers' may go down as one of the meanest reality series yet."

[15] http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/entertainment/2002/06/28/2002-06-28_old-movie_channels_nearing_s.html

[16] http://www.welcometosilentmovies.com/news/newsarchive/amc.htm

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> After having a pleasant and reassuring conversation this past weekend with the new General Manager of TCM (Hi Jeff! Pleasure to meet you!), everybody should toss their red flags into the nearest rubbish bin. Nothing's going to change.

>

Jeff WHO?

Let's have his name, right here in this forum. Why is he hiding from us in this forum? Perhaps he should show up here and explain why, after all of these years, there is *now* no one month's schedule in the PACIFIC time zone? Why, Jeff, should those who live in the Eastern time zone, get such a schedule, while those who live in the Pacific time zone do not?

incredibull

TCM IS JUST GETTING TO BE SOMETHING I AM STARTING TO WATCH LESS OF I AM AFRAID, SOME OF THE FILMS ARE JUST PLAIN UNWORTHY OF THE STATION.

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> > I wondered why the people didn't evacuate like the Mayor told them to do. They had plenty of warning to get out of town.

>

> because they couldn't afford to rent private transportation and NO _public_ transportation was made available!!

Surely someone among the adult men and women in the video had jobs.

They could afford a brand new video camera.

Amtrak had trains leaving town, and so did Grayhound and Trailways.

A new low?

This film is only being bashed because it is from 2008 and deals with rap music.

TCM has aired some terrible films from every decade....I still remember a weekend viewing of *Plan 9 From Outer Space*. Ben M couldn't even keep a straight face when he introduced it. I've seen some terrible films in the hour and 15 minute slots. Films that seem like they were made just to give contract players something to do. And no one creates a thread about them. They are okay because they are black and white, right?

It's not like this film will pop up on the schedule again any time soon. I don't understand why people can't just change the channel. I can't get into *Seven Brides for Seven Brothers* or *Dr. Zhivago* and I can't bring myself to create threads about the two films, which are aired frequently, I just change the channel. TCM has way more hits than misses for me, I can't speak for anyone else but for those of you who feel the channel has changed so much, maybe you should change the channel and find an alternative. But good luck with that.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"... But, just what would it take to raise YOUR red flag(?)"*

>

> After having a pleasant and reassuring conversation this past weekend with the new General Manager of TCM (Hi Jeff! Pleasure to meet you!), everybody should toss their red flags into the nearest rubbish bin. Nothing's going to change.

>

> All the Upper Management of Turner Networks know what a wonderful and unique channel they have with TCM. In terms of viewer loyalty, it is (nearly?) unprecedented for a television channel. I doubt that they want to be the one to destroy that while TCM is under their custodianship.

>

> If you are a fan of TCM for the past ten years, the objective is to continue that "tradition" with the same persons in place that have been responsible for instilling such devotion among its viewers.

>

> There is no need for any angst, worry or cynicism - unless one chooses to be. The future of TCM will be much like its past.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

You really are a trusting soul. And that brings to mind a story about a conversation I had with The General Manager of AMC back in 2001, (Hi Sid! Pleased to meet you!), he also reassured me that AMC was in no danger of going commercial. Now, why should you believe me when I said I spoke to a General Manager of AMC in 2001 named Sid? Especially since I didn't and his name probably wasn't even Sid, it was Irving. Now, i'm not doubting that you spoke to Jeff and he told you what he did, but come on, do you really think that he is going to give you the scoop on company business? Even if what he said was true from his perspective, General Managers come and go, and whenever there is an internal shakeup there are bound to be changes in policy as well. It happens every 4 or eight years in our National Politics. Do you think a company like TCM is immune? Because as you well know business decisions made by any company are all driven by monetary gain and by company politics. When you are invited on a regular basis to TCM's board meetings and can report with certainty on anything having to do with programming, I'll bury my RED FLAGS, until then I'll keep them at arms length when I see something that warrants waving them.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *everybody should toss their red flags into the nearest rubbish bin. Nothing's going to change.*

>

> This is a subject that came up again this year at the *Meet the Staff* panel at the TCM Film Festival.

>

> Like last year, the staff addressed the issue and assured the audience that they are dedicated to the channel and that there are no nefarious plans to follow the path that AMC has blazed.

>

> The staff, like all of us, are big classic film fans and love working for a channel that understands how important our film heritage is.

>

> So, please, put down the red flags.

Love it, glad to hear it!

During the festival, the channel aired SHOW GIRL IN HOLLYWOOD. That ain't happening on any commercial channel. Not to mention the scads of pre-code, 1930's and film noir (not to mention silent) films that are airing regularly on the channel. It rocks as far as I'm concerned, and I'm ecstatic to hear that this direction has the support of the folks who are in charge!

A new low for TCM? Nay. I see a new high coming every day when I see the lineup. It's awesome!!

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> > *"... But, just what would it take to raise YOUR red flag(?)"*

> >

> > After having a pleasant and reassuring conversation this past weekend with the new General Manager of TCM (Hi Jeff! Pleasure to meet you!), everybody should toss their red flags into the nearest rubbish bin. Nothing's going to change.

> >

> > All the Upper Management of Turner Networks know what a wonderful and unique channel they have with TCM. In terms of viewer loyalty, it is (nearly?) unprecedented for a television channel. I doubt that they want to be the one to destroy that while TCM is under their custodianship.

> >

> > If you are a fan of TCM for the past ten years, the objective is to continue that "tradition" with the same persons in place that have been responsible for instilling such devotion among its viewers.

> >

> > There is no need for any angst, worry or cynicism - unless one chooses to be. The future of TCM will be much like its past.

> >

> > Kyle In Hollywood

>

> Kyle,

>

> You really are a trusting soul. And that brings to mind a story about a conversation I had with The General Manager of AMC back in 2001, (Hi Sid! Pleased to meet you!), he also reassured me that AMC was in no danger of going commercial. Now, why should you believe me when I said I spoke to a General Manager of AMC in 2001 named Sid? Especially since I didn't and his name probably wasn't even Sid, it was Irving. Now, i'm not doubting that you spoke to Jeff and he told you what he did, but come on, do you really think that he is going to give you the scoop on company business? Even if what he said was true from his perspective, General Managers come and go, and whenever there is an internal shakeup there are bound to be changes in policy as well. It happens every 4 or eight years in our National Politics. Do you think a company like TCM is immune? Because as you well know business decisions made by any company are all driven by monetary gain and by company politics. When you are invited on a regular basis to TCM's board meetings and can report with certainty on anything having to do with programming, I'll bury my RED FLAGS, until then I'll keep them at arms length when I see something that warrants waving them.

There are sure a whole lot of trusting souls around here! This fellow Jeff somebody-or-another is the one who has countenanced the virtual destruction of so many formerly useful features of this web site, such as schedules, time zones, etc., etc.

So why exactly do you believe that *he* is to be trusted? Went he cannot come clean and insists upon hiding in the TCM bushes as it were, I would not trust this guy and further than I can throw him.

Naivety if there ever was!

incredibull

*"When you are invited on a regular basis to TCM's board meetings and can report with certainty on anything having to do with programming, I'll bury my RED FLAGS. (U)ntil then I'll keep them at arms length when I see something that warrants waving them."* - infinite1

*"Naivety (sic) if there ever was!"* - incredibull

The two of you are free to believe anything you want regarding the channel, the website or the staff of TCM. You can also ignore or try to discredit anything I write in response to the opinions you express. All I want to accomplish is making sure that a reasonable alternative to your thoughts/beliefs is provided in the Forums.

I've said it often and will continue to do so - TCM is commited to their mission to showing films uncut and commercial-free from the world's film libraries. Nothing TCM has programmed recently or for the foreseeable future contradicts that commitment or demonstrates a change in operations is forthcoming. That is especially true when Time-Warner's cable outlets - including Turner Entertainment Networks - are once again among the most profitable divisions in the company.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"I've said it often and will continue to do so - TCM is commited to their mission to showing films uncut and commercial-free from the world's film libraries."* - Kyle, in Hollywood.

Yes, you certainly do say it often enough. TCM should hire you to be their official spokesman since you do such a darn good job at it. But, answer me this, where is THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE? Surely, it's in one of the "world's film libraries". One would logically think that TCM would add it to their schedule, one of these days, since they made such a big deal out of showing it at last years' film festival. Or would that that run the risk of knocking another telecast of NORTH BY NORTHWEST, SINGIN IN THE RAIN, or AN AMERICAN IN PARIS off some months' schedule?

Sheldon, not (Thank God) in Hollyweird.

*But, answer me this, where is THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE? Surely, it's in one of the "world's film libraries".*

As long-time posters know, it has long been tied up in rights issues. While it can be screened theatrically at festivals, there are rights issues that keep it from being available for broadcast. It was noted at last year's Film Festival that TCM has been and continues to work on getting those issues resolved so that one of these days it can be broadcast on the channel.

They successfully cleared the rights issues surrounding *The Constant Nymph* and *Night Flight* both of which have not been available for theatrical or television broadcast for many decades. Both of those films screened at this year's festival and it was announced they are coming soon to the channel.

TCM is also working to clear the rights issues surrounding *Letty Lynton* according to a few other sources.

Something I didnt know until the film festival showing last year is that TEMPLE DRAKE is now owned by Fox (I thought it reverted to Universal, but Fox got it when they remade it in the 60s). As we know, Fox doesn't loan a lot of films to TCM, even if the rights issues are cleared up.

While its romantic to think movie studios (and cable channels) withold films like TEMPLE DRAKE, PORGY & BESS and others out of stupidity, laziness, or just inherent evil...the truth is that there are extremely complex rights issues surrounding many films...especially now that classic films are so popular and lucrative, and the ancestors of composers and playwrights see that they can get a piece of the pie. Some people still get a check everytime a movie is shown on TV or sold on DVD.

I can remember a certain Warner exec, in an interview, saying something like "you can probably forget about CONSTANT NYMPH." And here we are in 2011...and TCM has rescued this movie from limbo.

Who knows...maybe in 2012 it will be LETTY LYNTON and CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY!

Take a deep breath, some of you. If one evening's line-up on TCM is such a crippling ordeal for you (judging from your angry posts), you may want to start diversifying your free time a bit.

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}{quote}

> Take a deep breath, some of you. If one evening's line-up on TCM is such a crippling ordeal for you (judging from your angry posts), you may want to start diversifying your free time a bit.

I would not say that for sure. Many of these posters thrive on making TCM look bad. It is in their M.O. Not a day goes by without someone posting some angry posts about the decline of TCM, either through the eventual commercialization of the channel or how screwed up the website has become. And yet right now playing on the channel is a film from 1932......

when or when is TCM going to reschedule The Painted Veil and the other films they bumped off the schedule last month for the tribute to a director who passed??? Reschedule these films please and in the proper time frame they were to be shown in. Thank you very much!

What's interesting and kind of sad about all the posters worried about the direction that Turner Classic Movies might take at some unknown point in the future, is that they're so busy getting all het up about this remote possibility that they can't seem to just relax and enjoy TCM today. If one conducts one's entire life like that, one is likely to develop high blood pressure problems.

I have a suggestion which I have stolen from Buddha: try living in the present. Enjoy the moment you are in. Om...

Edited by: misswonderly on May 6, 2011 7:19 PM