Sign in to follow this  
ChorusGirl

2012 Festival Any thoughts on films/actors?

33 posts in this topic

I know its crazy, but I'm already thinking about the 2012 festival. Wondering what I would love to see...who is still with us that could come and discuss their film?

A few I have thought of...

WHERE THE BOYS ARE (would be great to see this on the cinemascope screen. Maybe Paula Prentiss? George Hamilton? Heck maybe mother superior Delores Hart?)

PSYCHO (Vera Miles? does she ever appear anywhere?)

THE HAUNTING (Claire Bloom?)

BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940 (Eleanor Powell's son Peter was at the Vanity Fair party...maybe hear from him or a member of Fred Astaire's family?)

GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (Kathy Houghton? Does she ever talk about her aunt Katherine Hepburn?)

PICNIC (Kim Novak? Cliff Robertson?)

and two pipe dreams...

CURLY TOP (what are odds of them getting Shirley Temple?)

100 MEN & A GIRL (Deanna Durbin? Heck if they could woo Luise Rainer, I guess anything is possible...)

No, it's not crazy (take it from me, CinecrazyDC) that 1962 was a very good movie year and I've already been thinking about 50th anniversary possibilities.

For instance:

*Cape Fear*, with Polly Bergen in attendance.

*Dr. No*, I'd want Sean Connery since this was the first Bond movie; if not Ursula Andress.

*Jules et Jim*, with Jeanne Moreau in attendance.

*Lawrence of Arabia* Since Peter O'Toole came this year, he may not be up for another trip, but maybe Omar Sharif ?

*Lolita* with Sue Lyon discussing James Mason and Peter Sellers.

*The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner* (1962, UK), with Tom Courtenay in attendance (Zhivago is coming up in 2014)

*The Manchurian Candidate* , if Angela L. will come back.

*The Music Man* with Shirley Jones and Ron Howard.

*The Miracle Worker* - Patty Duke in attendance.

There were of course other good films that year such as *Mondo Cane*, *The Longest Day*, and *Whatever Happend to Baby Jane ?,* but these would be my faves.

*Cinecrazy DC*

Edited by: cinecrazydc on May 8, 2011 3:50 PM

Let me also add 1952 (for the 60th anniversary) of the following:

*The Quiet Man* - video interview with MO ?

*The Bad and the Beautiful*

and *The Greatest Show on Earth*

Perhaps Robert could persuade Kirk to come back for B&B and do a prerecorded video interview with Maureen O'Hara since it is unlikely she will travel the distance from Ireland to SoCal,

Cine

My big suggestion would be:

*The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance* (it's 50th anniversary) and a panel on John Ford.

Yes, that's a good one LZ. I seem to have overlooked it in my miscellaneous list below. It also ties in nicely with another anniversary Wayne flick, *The Quiet Man*.

Cinecrazy

*The Quiet Man.*

*The Quiet Man* may hinge on whether or not Paramount has the restoration of the film completed by then.

They seem to be dragging their feet on this one.

Would love to see Sidney Poitier (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, A Patch of Blue)

Also Doris Day (Pillow Talk)

- Kim Novak (Vertigo or Picnic)

- Ruby Dee (St. Louis Blues)

- Russ Tamblyn (Cimarron or Peyton Place)

- Shirley Temple (Younger Shirley series or Since You Went Away)

- Darryl Hickman (Leave Her to Heaven)

- Harry Belafonte (The World, The Flesh and The Devil)

- Irene Cara (Sparkle)

- Robert Wagner

- And although it's a long shot and wishfu thinking, I would love, love, love to see Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine appear together, holding hands and smiling in forgiveness!

Actually Daryl Hickman was there last year for LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (tho I missed that one)

Ann Rutherford has been at the festival 2 years in a row now...though not to introduce a film. I'd love to hear her talk. I dont want to sit through GWTW or an ANDY HARDY movie while I'm there, but something like ORCHESTRA WIVES would be fantastic...I would think that movie would be a hit with the festival crowd.

Robert O. said they extended an invite to Joan Fontaine but she declined. Thats too bad. That would be a very, very big deal to have her there.

I'm guessing they have asked Doris Day...but EVERYONE has been trying to get Doris Day...to no avail. Maybe if they donated a portion of their profits to her charity, she could be persuaded.

Gloria DeHaven is still with is. She worked on some good MGM musicals...it would be wonderful to hear some of her memories.

DC,

Robert O announced during the intro to *The Constant Nymph* that Joan Fontaine had been contacted about participating in the Festival. According to Robert O, she made it very clear that has no interest in doing public things and no interest in coming to Hollywood.

I think TCM stands a better chance of convincing Doris Day (and we all know how difficult that is) to attend than the DeHavilland sisters appearing together and kissing and making up.

Darryl Hickman was at the Festival last year and he and Robert O discussed *Leave Her to Heaven* following a beautifully restored print from Fox.

I'm with cinecrazydc about the tribute to 1962. One of the greatest years for classic Hollywood.

I also love the idea of Claire Bloom for *The Haunting*, or possibly *The Spy Who Came In From the Cold* or one of her other films.

Diane Baker for *Mirage*.

Yes, in fact I was in the lobby of the Roosevelt when someone asked Robert about Fontaine. He also commented at the same time that Maureen O'Hara was not in the mood to travel given her health and age. O'Hara is approaching 91 (92 by next year at this time); Leslie Caron was *only* 79, and it was probably tough on her !

I hope for Doris, but am not holding my breath !

Cinecrazy

Edited by: cinecrazydc on May 9, 2011 3:57 PM

{quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}Ann Rutherford has been at the festival 2 years in a row now...though not to introduce a film. I'd love to hear her talk. I dont want to sit through GWTW or an ANDY HARDY movie while I'm there, but something like ORCHESTRA WIVES would be fantastic...I would think that movie would be a hit with the festival crowd.{quote}

OMG, I would love to see Orchestra Wives on the big screen. And after the Nicholas Brothers tribute this year, there are a lot of new fans that would also get a kick out it. To have Ann Rutherford discuss it would make it a "must see" attraction.

{quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}I'm guessing they have asked Doris Day...but EVERYONE has been trying to get Doris Day...to no avail. Maybe if they donated a portion of their profits to her charity, she could be persuaded.{quote}

I have acquaintances that see Doris Day. There's a fellow who gives concert soir?es in his home that she attends. They say she'll never make a public appearance and she'll only talk with you if it's about pets. I'm comforted that she still gets out occasionally.

{quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}Gloria DeHaven is still with is. She worked on some good MGM musicals...it would be wonderful to hear some of her memories.{quote}

I never had too much interest in post-1957 Sinatra, but would be interested in hearing her talk about working with him in his first films as well as her MGM years.

"I also love the idea of Claire Bloom for 'The Haunting', or possibly 'The Spy Who Came In From the Cold' or one of her other films.

Diane Baker for 'Mirage'."

Claire Bloom will be interviewed by Foster Hirsch on May 24th at NYC's Film Forum. I'll be there front and center. I'd love to see Diane Baker as well.

I'd love to know what rare movies they're hoping to get. NIGHT FLIGHT was of particular interest to me and while not a great film I was glad for the experience of seeing it on the big screen.

I'd love to see some of the early Fox Bogarts that have never seem to screen anywhere.

Also some more shorts. They did play a few before some of the features. I had a thought that it might be nice to have one screen playing shorts all day so you can duck in between the main features.

Dare I say it? THE BIG PARADE with a full orchestra. That would be amazing!

Yancey

Maven:

Lucky you to be at the Hirsch interview with Bloom! If they do *The Haunting*, Julie Harris could do double duty on *Requiem for a Heavyweight*, both 1962 (50th anniversary) movies, but I'd prefer to save Ms. Harris for *East of Eden* in 2015.

Cinecrazy

How about *King Rat* with its three stars George Segal, James Fox, and Tom Courtenay?

Maven, please post about the upcoming Foster Hirsch interview with Claire Bloom. He did an excellent job interviewing Leslie Caron at the festival.

Yancey, *The Big Parade* with full orchestra sounds terrific. Save me a seat for that one!

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}

> Yancey, *The Big Parade* with full orchestra sounds terrific. Save me a seat for that one!}{quote}

KR -

Sure thing!

Two on the asile at the Egyptian and a private meeting with John Gilbert's daughter, Leatrice Joy Gilbert!

Yancey

> {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}{quote}

> I'd love to know what rare movies they're hoping to get. NIGHT FLIGHT was of particular interest to me and while not a great film I was glad for the experience of seeing it on the big screen.

>

Since they seem committed to saving rare films from limbo, I'd wager that LETTY LYNTON has got to be at the top of their list. Its legal troubles are legendary, but so were CONSTANT NYMPH's.

Perhaps BEYOND THE FOREST is on their radar as well, and PORGY & BESS.

Unearthing rare films gets TCM press coverage and publicity...which is surely a good thing.

The rarities...HOOPLA, WENT THE DAY WELL, NIGHT FLIGHT....were all sell outs. Here's hoping we will get even more next year!

> {quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}> The rarities...HOOPLA, WENT THE DAY WELL, NIGHT FLIGHT....were all sell outs. Here's hoping we will get even more next year!

{quote}

Seeing WENT THE DAY WELL with a full house was, for me, the highlight of the festival.

I was fortunate enough to attend all three of those screenings. I have to say they were the most memorable events for me. Sitting with an audience who had never seen those movies before was truly and extraordinary experience.

I believe HOOP-LA and WTDW were later added for those who missed them the first time around. I'm sure word of mouth encouraged the Festival programmers to offer additional showings. I promoted both to anyone, who hadn't seen them, to go if possible. I hope they felt as I did. Well worth it.

Yancey

Sorry Chorusgirl! I didn't notice this post on 2012 and I kind of repeated this thread, though not exactly! Many good ideas here!

Mine is more seeking info and not strictly on the festival! It seems that nothing has yet been decided or, at least, not revealed! That is more what I am interested in knowing, though I think I need to contact TCM and probably Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz!

I'm a newby to the site, but not to TCM or classic movies!

Love 'em!

{quote:title=ChorusGirl wrote:}The rarities...HOOPLA, WENT THE DAY WELL, NIGHT FLIGHT....were all sell outs. Here's hoping we will get even more next year!{quote}

{quote:title=yanceycravat wrote:}Seeing WENT THE DAY WELL with a full house was, for me, the highlight of the festival.

I was fortunate enough to attend all three of those screenings. I have to say they were the most memorable events for me. Sitting with an audience who had never seen those movies before was truly and extraordinary experience.{quote}

I couldn't get into either Went the Day Well or Night Flight! Torture. I'm relieved that my scratching and whimpering outside the door didn't distract the audience.

Counting sheep? Not I. Each night when I go to bed, I plan my dream festival...

JB -

Sorry to hear that. I was lucky this year in that I got in to everything I wanted to see. My festival plan worked like a charn.

I had visions of not getting into NIGHT FLIGHT as that was the one film on which the whole festival sort of rested for me. I planned to get to the theatre by 9 am for the 10 am screening but when it was announced Drew Barrymore was going to be there I decided I'd better get there at 8:30 am!

When I arrived there was already a line out the door. People had begun lining up at 8!!! I think my number was something like 88.

As far as WTDW goes it was right after HOOP-LA which played in the same theatre. So that was just getting out of the theatre and getting back in line. It also played against two heavy hitters. MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (Sinatra Sisters and Vicki Preminger) and REDS (Warren Beatty).

I would never have seen either HOOP-LA or WTDW had Leonard Maltin not mentioned them as something worth catching. Up until that morning REDS had been my #2 festival choice to see after NIGHT FLIGHT. I changed my mind and caught THE CAMERAMAN as well. Thought it better to get two shorter movies in for one epic.

Wonder if I'll be so lucky next year!

Yancey

I am only putting up --one name and title for 2012.-- three titles.

*Deliverance* with Burt Reynolds in attendance.

*The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming* (take your pick of cast members.)

And Carl Reiner speaking about *Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid* might be interesting.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on May 17, 2011 9:35 PM