Sign in to follow this  
CitySlicker

Five most "underrated" Westerns ...

56 posts in this topic

The films on this list are known but I feel are underrated.  Some are ranked in high regard, but not HIGH ENOUGH...

1. Gunman's Walk (1958)  Van Heflin tries to keep one of his sons in line. Played by Tab Hunter.  Hunter was a terror here.  Heflin had another great performance. HIGHLY underrated Western in my opinion.  You can't even get a respectable dvd copy of this.

2. Fastest Gun Alive (1956) Glenn Ford's version of Gregory Peck's " The Gunfighter".  Same basic plot as The Gunfighter but with another spin.  Vastly underrated Western.

3. Rawhide (1951) My favorite Jack Elam Western.  Tyrone Power is billed as the star but this is Elam's film.  Another Western that few have heard about but its fantastic.

4. The Oxbow Incident (1943) My favorite Henry Fonda Western after My Darling Clementine and Once Upon A Time in the West. This film was supressed when it originally came out due to the subject matter and I think it STILL is.  Its in my top 5 Westerns ever.

5. The Great Silence (1968) A film known by diehard Sphagetti Western fans and lovers of Cult films.  This film gets no play in the mainstream Western Genre as it should.  Its in my opinion the GREATEST WESTERN EVER. A masterpiece from director Sergio Corbucci.  His inconsistent work I feel prejudices his work and hurts the standing of this film in comparison to say Sergio Leone.  Regardless, its the best ever.

HONORABLE MENTION:

Death Rides a Horse (1967) Might be Lee Van Cleef's best work outside of the Leone Films.  If you had replaced Phillip Law with Clint Eastwood this film would've been ranked up there with Leone's Man with No Name trilogy.

On 10/4/2018 at 3:14 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

I don't know if I can name five at once. Might have to keep coming back to this post to add titles.

1. Day of the Evil Gun

Glenn Ford and Arthur Kennedy in a surreal, morally-ambiguous western manhunt. Fighting each other as much as their enemies. I can't explain it any better than this, you just have to see it to grasp the atmosphere.

Maybe my #2 might be:

2. The Bounty Killer

Dan Duryea stars as a coward --and a poor gunhand-- who somehow manages to kill a gunman and then "gets a taste for blood" using a sneaky trick: he attends showdowns with a sawed-off shotgun

3. Walk Like a Dragon

A cross-cultural Eastern/Western starring Jack Lord and Mel Torme.

4. China 9, Liberty 37

A beautifully-photographed Italian production starring hot Jenny Agutter, some forgettable Italian beefcake as the male lead, and the great Warren Oates.

5. Duel at Diablo

James Garner and Sidney Poitier, really fun

gonna give a few of these a try.

• Like 1

Good man. Let us hear what you think. Remember to keep an open-mind when you view them, they're known as 'acquired tastes' for good reason.

Also: try Monte Hellman's wonderful, bitter, acid-westerns...'Ride the Whirlwind' and 'The Shooting'....you will find them praised around these forums I think!

• Like 1

ulp! Say, here's another one. 'The Shooting Party' starring nasty sadist, capitalist baron Gene Hackman vs an outlaw gang led by the interesting pairing of Oliver Reed and Mitchell Ryan. Candy Bergen is their hostage. I like it, not everyone does.

Of course you probably already know, 'Bite The Bullet' with James Coburn and Gene Hackman, again Bergen, plus some nifty appearances by (my fave Brit) Ian Bannen and others.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

ulp! Say, here's another one. 'The Shooting Party' starring nasty sadist, capitalist baron Gene Hackman vs an outlaw gang led by the interesting pairing of Oliver Reed and Mitchell Ryan. Candy Bergen is their hostage. I like it, not everyone does.

Of course you probably already know, 'Bite The Bullet' with James Coburn and Gene Hackman, again Bergen, plus some nifty appearances by (my fave Brit) Ian Bannen and others.

For what it is worth (nothing) I join those who dislike both regardless of the excellent casts.

• Haha 1

So noted!

But I sure relished 'em. Decent story content in each: one theme in the Hackman/Coburn romp,  is the treatment of horses, something you almost never see in a western. The other flick with Oliver Reed has the excellent theme found in 'Butch Cassidy' and also 'Joe Kidd'--that of technology eliminating western lifestyles. Oliver Reed and his gang are no match for the high-powered rifles and telescopic sights used by Hackman and his cronies. I thought this was really fun. So yeah--solid 'idea content'. If anything its Candice Bergen who is somehow always the weak link.