Sign in to follow this  
LonesomePolecat

What does she see in him?

68 posts in this topic

Well hold on now, I said handsomest and most seduce-able, I didn't say sexiest. I would say he's more sex-able, than sexy, I mean, he's never the one who brings that element to a movie. I'm just saying he makes better prey for a sexy lady, than Gary Cooper, who always leaves me feeling a little less satisfied in the end.

Edited by: TheSameDame on May 26, 2011 11:36 PM

Isn't that funny about Gary Cooper -- yeah, to me, he's a good everyman but not attractive, and yet he was a notorious ladies man. WHY?! Well, tastes change, I guess.

William Powell does, I think, have so much personality and wit that it makes up for the fact that he's not an Adonis. But then most women appreciate a man that can make her laugh.

Seriously, if we're going to talk about sexy/attractive/not necessarily handsome in the usual sense/ leading men, we've got to include Robert Mitchum. The sexiest classic film actor.

Why can't I have both?

JOEL McCREA !

JOEL McCREA !

Good-looking AND sexy

- give him an "A" !

Robert Mitchum !

Robert Mitchum !

If I had him,

I'd never ditch him !

(somehow Mitch is too cool for this kind of foolishness)

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Seriously, if we're going to talk about sexy/attractive/not necessarily handsome in the usual sense/ leading men, we've got to include Robert Mitchum. The sexiest classic film actor.

Amen, misswonderly.

But MacRea WAS handsome in the usual sense..... Maybe the thing you like about Mitchum is his broad shoulders. You know the oversize suit that David Byrne wore? On Mitchum, it would have been tight in the shoulders......I've had a problem lately responding to the wrong person. This is supposed to be a response to misswonderly, not Mr. Roberts. I didn't mean to imply that Mr. Roberts has a thing for Mitchum.

Edited by: finance on May 27, 2011 3:45 PM

I haven't been at sea that long, just like to have Mitchum as a shipmate, period.

I think with Bogey it was definitely presence and power. I don't find him to be that attractive, but there is something sexy about him. I don't tend to be attracted to men with conventional good looks and when I hear peers and coworkers talking about the hot guy on whatever show they are watching, I usually don't agree. But i don't like clean-cut and conventional. A few people have mentioned William Powell and although I really like him as an actor, he doesn't do it for me looks-wise. I do agree about Joel McRea, he was good looking, as was Bill Holden. But I also am attracted to more offbeat looks, for instance, I really like Sam Shepard, especially in Days of Heaven. Although they were not actors, I also think Irving Thalberg and Victor Fleming were both really attractive.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

. I remember reading a discussion of the film "Quicksand" where the general consensus was that no matter how great a script, Mickey Rooney could never pull off the sex appeal of a Philip Marlowe, Sam Spade or Mike Hammer.

Mickey Rooney is a lot of things, but sexy...he isn't.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> That's easy for you to say. He's Chevy Chase, and you're not.

LOL

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> William Powell to me is like Bogie...what I said about him was, he's not handsome, and I personally don't think I'd be attracted to him, but I can understand why women were. Like Bogart, he had a great sense of humour, often ironic and understated, a sharp wit, and a way of seeming cool no matter what was going on around him. These are likable and attractive qualities. Yay, William Powell !

>

> ( or maybe it was just that pencil-thin mustache.)

Hear, hear! I will always stand by my statement that Lauren Bacall picked the wrong hubby in How to Marry a Millionaire. How in the world she could pick whats-his-name (see? I can;t even remember the guy) over William Powell will forever be a mystery to me.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Isn't that funny about Gary Cooper -- yeah, to me, he's a good everyman but not attractive, and yet he was a notorious ladies man. WHY?! Well, tastes change, I guess.

>

Clara Bow and others claimed he was very well-endowed. Tallulah always maintained he was the main reason she came to Hollywood (though she was probably exaggerating. Probably)

As for Bogey, I find him pretty sexy--very cool and cynical, but with a remarkably boyish smile for such a craggy-faced guy. And that lisp! So incongruous.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Was that Cameron Mitchell that Bacall picked?

I think so. Or Rory Calhoun. Either way, they fall short of Willaim Powell in my eyes.

redriver said: I just threw your ****palm tree overboard! What are ya gonna do about it? --- Tell Captain Bligh (Charles Laughton) and he'll have you walk the plank.