Sign in to follow this  
kingrat

The 19th TCM Programming Challenge: Easy as 1-2-3

120 posts in this topic

So sue me--I'm a Yank. :) I know about all that, actually, but I figured that they're her ancestors in the sense that they were once in her place-- in other words they're the job's ancestors. Plus, if you go back a few hundred years we're ALL related, right?

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

> The Grand Pooh Bah for the challenge must be in permissive parent mode: go ahead with the week in 2015, Tracey, but make it so good we'll understand why this was the perfect week. And by 2015 someone will have made a subtitled version of *Martin Roumagnac*.

Thanks Pop! But you know, no pressure or anything...

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> LPS NOTES:

>

> *Say, Thats from HAMLET*

> It took me teaching the play Hamlet to remember that the title of the film *Leave Her to Heaven* is a line from the play, spoken by Hamlets Ghost about what Hamlet should do about Gertrudes part in his murder. So I thought it would be fun to make an evening of all the films (I could think of) whose titles come from lines from Hamlet (the only one missing that I could think of being *Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead* which, being from 1990, is a little too recent for me).

>

Fun schedule, polecat! I especially like the Hamlet idea-I'm fascinated by the way Shakespeare's word usage permeates our language. And just wanted to say, even though *Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead* was made in the 1990. it's really quite funny--does the play justice (which i think goes back to the 60's) and the cast is excellent.

I wouldn't object to *R&G are Dead* on TCM, but I wouldn't have had time for that and all the sibling stars I wanted to include. That's part of the fun though is fitting everything in like a little puzzle.

I wanted to explain about *Cavalcade* in my schedule. I know everyone seems to hate it, but I don't. I know why, though, since it shouldn't have won best picture, but ignoring that completely I actually kind of like it. But I have two reasons for scheduling it for Titanic night. First, one of their sons dies on the Titanic with his young fiance. Second, being a brief history of England from the end of the 19th century through the depression, I think it gives good context for the Titanic disaster and just why it was so devastating for people. So there you go.

Thank you, kingrat, for inviting annotations to my schedule. Here goes:

This schedule includes programming between the feature films, because I'm a big fan of TCM's short-subject library. You'll see various shorts peppering the schedule, complementing the feature films.

The Sunday schedule is just me having fun with the sequence -- the "ship" idea keeps going and going with variations until *THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA* and *The Ship that Died* finally deep-six the theme. (John Barrymore is followed by Errol Flynn, who portrayed Barrymore on screen.)

The Gloria Jean tribute features her two favorite performances. *THE UNDER-PUP* made Gloria Jean a star overnight (on YouTube you can see newsreel footage of 40,000 fans at the premiere). *DESTINY* is the Julien Duvivier footage from FLESH AND FANTASY, singled out as the highlight of the film, only to be deleted and expanded into its own feature film. *NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK* is of course the film for which she is best known today. Gloria is 85 now and watches TCM avidly. My wife and I wrote Gloria's book biography, and we have screen-test footage (including Duvivier's lighting tests) that is usually never seen outside a studio.

The W. C. Fields feature leads into Silent Sunday, and then to another veteran comedian of British ancestry, Lupino Lane, re-creating his stage success. Late-late-show viewers can enjoy a choice British musical comedy with Jessie Matthews, "The Dancing Divinity."

*SUNDAY*

Theme: Can I Get Ships with That?

6:00 am *MELODY CRUISE* (1933). BW-76 min. RKO. Phil Harris, Charles Ruggles, Helen Mack. D: Mark Sandrich. p/s

7:30 am *BLONDIE GOES LATIN* (1941) BW-72 min. Columbia. Penny Singleton, Arthur Lake, Ruth Terry. D: Frank R. Strayer. p/s

8:45 am *South American Sway* (1944) BW-10 min. Warner Bros. Band short with Emil Coleman, Carl Hoff, Joe Reichman orchestras. D: Jean Negulesco. p/s

9:00 am *ARGENTINE NIGHTS* (1940) Universal. BW-75 min. The Ritz Brothers, The Andrews Sisters, George Reeves. D: Albert S. Rogell. Premiere #1

10:30 am *THE NAVIGATOR* (1924) BW-59 min. Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire. D: Buster Keaton, Donald Crisp. p/s

11:35 am *The Live Ghost* (1934) BW-20 min. Hal Roach. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. D: Charles Rogers. p/s

12 noon *THE GHOST SHIP* (1943) BW-69 min. RKO. Richard Dix, Russell Wade, Edith Barrett, D: Mark Robson. p/s

1:15 pm *MOBY DICK* (1930) BW-77 min. Warner Bros. John Barrymore, Joan Bennett, Lloyd Hughes. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s

3:00 pm *Cruise of the Zaca* (1952) C-17 min. Warner Bros. Errol Flynn, Howard Hill, John Decker. D: Errol Flynn. p/s

3:30 pm *SAPS AT SEA* (1940) BW-57 min. Hal Roach. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, James Finlayson. D: Gordon Douglas. p/s

4:30 pm *At Sea Ashore* (1936) BW-20 min. Hal Roach. Patsy Kelly, Lyda Roberti, Al Shean. D: William H. Terhune. p/s

5:00 pm *MEXICAN SPITFIRE AT SEA* (1941) BW-72 min. RKO. Lupe Velez, Leon Errol, Buddy Rogers. D: Leslie Goodwins. p/s

6:15 pm *THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA* (1934) BW-93 min. Columbia. Victor McLaglen, Walter Connolly, Leon Errol. D: Lewis Milestone. p/s

7:50 pm *The Ship that Died* (1938) BW-10 min. M-G-M Passing Parade with John Nesbitt, Leonard Penn. D: Jacques Tourneur. p/s

Theme: Souvenirs from Gloria Jean

8:00 pm The Essentials, Jr.

*THE UNDER-PUP* (1939) BW-88 min. Universal (Universal has a broadcast master). Gloria Jean, Robert Cummings, C. Aubrey Smith. D: Richard Wallace. Premiere #2

9:45 pm *Gloria Jean introducing screen tests for "The Under-Pup"* (1939) and *"Flesh and Fantasy"* (1942) (from 35mm) BW-10m. Gloria Jean, Virginia Weidler, Felix Bressart. D: Henry Koster, Julien Duvivier. Premiere #3

10:00 pm *DESTINY* (expanded from *"Flesh and Fantasy"*) (1944) BW-65 min. Universal (Universal has a broadcast master). Gloria Jean, Alan Curtis, Frank Craven. D: Reginald LeBorg, Julien Duvivier. Premiere #4

11:15 pm *NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK* (1941) BW-70 min. Universal. W. C. Fields, Gloria Jean, Margaret Dumont. D: Edward Cline. p/s

12:30 am Silent Sunday *SALLY OF THE SAWDUST* (1925) BW-113m) W. C. Fields, Carol Dempster, Alfred Lunt. D: D. W. Griffith. E

2:30 am TCM Imports *THE LAMBETH WALK* (1939) BW-67 min. M-G-M. Lupino Lane, Sally Gray, Sir Seymour Hicks. D: Albert de Courville. E

3:45 am TCM Imports *IT'S LOVE AGAIN* (1936) BW-83 min. Gaumont-British. Jessie Matthews, Robert Young, Sonnie Hale. D: Victor Saville. E

5:15 am *About Face* (1942) BW-43 min. Hal Roach. William Tracy, Joe Sawyer, Jean Porter. D: Kurt Neumann. p/s

The Monday schedule salutes the armed forces. As you can see from the schedule, one title generally paves the way for the next one, with comedies in the morning, sentimental dramas for the matinee audience, and action and music into the night, winding up with the rowdy *CALL OUT THE MARINES*.

*MONDAY*

Theme: They Look Good in Uniform

6:00 am *TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP* (1942) BW-68 min. Columbia. Jackie Gleason, Jack Durant, Bruce Bennett. D: Charles Barton. p/s

7:15 am *The United States Army Band* (1943) BW-10 min. Warner Bros. band short. D: Jean Negulesco. p/s

7:30 am *PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES* (1932) BW-68 min. Hal Roach. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, Billy Gilbert. D: George Marshall, Raymond McCarey. p/s

8:45 am *Fightin' Fools* (1941) BW-10 min. M-G-M. Our Gang. D: Edward Cahn. p/s

9:00 am *BUCK PRIVATES* (1941) BW-82 min. Universal. Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, The Andrews Sisters. D: Arthur Lubin. p/s

10:30 am *LOOKING FOR DANGER* (1957) BW-62 min. Huntz Hall, Stanley Clements, The Bowery Boys. D: Austen Jewell. p/s

11:35 am *Women at War* (1943) C-21 min. Warner Bros. Faye Emerson, Robert Warwick, Virginia Christine. D: Jean Negulesco. p/s

12 noon *SO PROUDLY WE HAIL* (1943) BW-126 min. Paramount. Claudette Colbert, Paulette Goddard, Veronica Lake. D: Mark Sandrich. p/s

2:15 pm *Flag of Mercy* (1942) BW-10 min. M-G-M Passing Parade. Sara Haden. D: Edward Cahn. p/s

2:30 pm *SHE'S A SOLDIER, TOO* (1944) BW-67 min. Columbia. Beulah Bondi, Nina Foch, Percy Kilbride. D: William Castle. p/s

3:45 pm *Unusual Occupations* (1943) C-10 min. Paramount. The Canadian Women's Army Corps. D: Robert Carlisle. p/s

4:00 pm *KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY* (1945) BW-93 min. M-G-M. Lana Turner, Laraine Day, Susan Peters. D: Edward Buzzell. p/s

5:45 pm *Elsie Janis in "Behind the Lines"* (1926) BW-8 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone), no director credited. p/s

6:00 pm *THE FIGHTING 69TH* (1940) BW-90 min. Warner Bros. James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, George Brent. D: William Keighley. p/s

7:45 pm *The Fighting 69-1/2th* (1940) C-7 min. Warner Bros, cartoon. D: Friz Freleng. p/s

8:00 pm *TRUE TO THE NAVY* (1930) BW-79 min. Paramount. Clara Bow, Fredric March, Rex Bell. D: Frank Tuttle. p/s

10:00 pm *NAVY BLUES* (1941) BW-108 min. Warner Bros. Ann Sheridan, Jack Oakie, Jack Haley. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s

12:00 mid *WINGS OF THE NAVY* (1939) BW-89 min. Warner Bros. George Brent, Olivia de Havilland, John Payne. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s

1:30 am *AIR FORCE* (1943) BW-124 min. Warner Bros. John Ridgely, Gig Young, Harry Carey. D: Howard Hawks. p/s

3:35 am *Hare Force* (1944) C-7 min. Warner Bros. cartoon. D: Friz Freleng. p/s

3:45 am *SERGEANT MURPHY* (1938) BW-57 min. Warner Bros. Ronald Reagan, Mary Maguire, Donald Crisp. D: B. Reeves Eason. p/s

4:45 am *CALL OUT THE MARINES* (1942) BW-67 min. RKO. Victor McLaglen, Edmund Lowe, Binnie Barnes. D: Frank Ryan and William Hamilton. p/s

Monday's military theme blends into Tuesday's "Paris" theme, starting at sunrise with (what else?) *HALF SHOT AT SUNRISE*. I slipped *Art Trouble* into the schedule; this is Jimmy Stewart's first movie, in a Shemp Howard Vitaphone, no less. Sandwiched between *ROBERTA* and *50 MILLION FRENCHMEN* is Bob Hope's two-reel version of *FRENCHMEN* (connection: Hope starred in ROBERTA on stage).

The Hollywood conception of Paris is succeeded by genuinely Parisian works (landmark titles by Godard, Clair, and Méliès), and the overnight shift has some vintage features and shorts, including a choice John Gilbert vehicle and a pair of Charley Chase featurettes (with some wonderful barbershop harmony by Chase and The Ranch Boys).

*TUESDAY*

Theme: How Do You Like It Here in Paris?

6:00 am *HALF SHOT AT SUNRISE* (1930) BW-78 min. RKO. Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey, Dorothy Lee. D: Paul Sloane. p/s

7:30 am *THE FLYING DEUCES* (1939) BW-69 min. RKO. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, Jean Parker. D: A. Edward Sutherland. p/s

8:45 am *Done in Oil* (1934) BW-18 min. Hal Roach. Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly, Arthur Housman. D: Gus Meins. p/s

9:05 am *Art Trouble* (1934) BW-21 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Shemp Howard, Harry Gribbon, James Stewart. D: Ralph Staub. p/s

9:30 am *ROBERTA* (1934) BW-106 min. RKO. Irene Dunne, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. D: William A. Seiter. p/s

11:20 am *Paree, Paree* (1934) BW-21 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Bob Hope, Dorothy Stone, Charles Collins. D: Roy Mack. p/s

11:45 am *50 MILLION FRENCHMEN* (1931) C-70 min. Warner Bros. Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson, Helen Broderick. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s

1:00 pm *APRIL IN PARIS* (1952) C-94 min. Warner Bros. Doris Day, Ray Bolger, Claude Dauphin. D: David Butler. p/s

2:40 pm *Dubarry Did All Right* (1937) BW-22 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Irene Bordoni, Regina Wallace, Charles Dingle. D: Joseph Henabery. p/s

3:05 pm *The Red Balloon* (1956) C-34 min. D: Albert Lamorisse. p/s

3:45 pm *FANNY* (1961) C-134 min. Warner Bros. Leslie Caron, Charles Boyer, Maurice Chevalier. D: Joshua Logan. p/s

6:00 pm *AN AMERICAN IN PARIS* (1951) C-113 min. M-G-M. Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Georges Guetary. D: Vincente Minnelli. p/s

8:00 pm *LOVE ME TONIGHT* (1932) BW-88 min. Paramount. Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette McDonald, Charles Ruggles. D: Rouben Mamoulian. p/s

9:45 pm *Á BOUT DE SOUFFLE* (a/k/a *BREATHLESS*) (1960) BW-90 min. Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg. D: Jean-Luc Godard. p/s

11:30 pm *Á NOUS LA LIBERTÉ* (1931) BW-97 min. Raymond Cordy, Henri Marchand. D: René Clair. p/s

1:10 am *LE VOYAGE DANS LA LUNE* (a/k/a *A TRIP TO THE MOON*) (1902) BW-14 min. D: Georges Méliès. p/s

1:30 am *PHANTOM OF PARIS* (1931) BW-74 min. M-G-M. John Gilbert, Leila Hyams, Lewis Stone. D: John S. Robertson. p/s

2:50 am *The Cat's Bah* (1954) C-7 min. Warner Bros. cartoon. D: Chuck Jones. p/s

3:00 am *GOLD DIGGERS IN PARIS* (1938) BW-97 min. Rudy Vallee, Rosemary Lane, Hugh Herbert. D: Ray Enright. p/s

4:40 am *Toot Sweet* (1937) BW-20 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Fifi D'Orsay, Rufe Davis. D: Roy Mack. p/s

5:00 am *High C's* (1930) BW-28 min. Hal Roach. Charley Chase, Thelma Todd, The Ranch Boys. D: James W. Horne. p/s

5:30 am *Rough Seas* (sequel) (1931) BW-27 min. Hal Roach. Charley Chase, Thelma Todd, The Ranch Boys. D: James Parrott. p/s

Wednesday draws upon TCM's excellent library of whodunits, with representative samples of famous literary sleuths. *MURDER ON A HONEYMOON*, with Edna May Oliver as spinster schoolteacher Hildegarde Withers, was filmed largely on location in Avalon, California; the Catalina Island landmarks still look the same, including the Avalon post office! Robert Benchley was one of the writers, and the feature is preceded by a Benchley short. *THE SAINT IN LONDON* really is British-made (watch for a young Ballard Berkeley from "Fawlty Towers" in the first scene).

I especially enjoy the Falcon and Boston **** titles, late entries in these series. *THE FALCON'S ALIBI* was scripted by Columbia's Paul Yawitz, who seems to have intended it for **** and Runt and gave it instead to Falcon and Goldie. The Boston **** feature on the schedule was supposed to be the last entry in the series; it was entrusted to first-time director Seymour Friedman, an assistant director who impressed Harry Cohn with his staging of a few scenes in DOWN TO EARTH. Friedman did such a commendable job with *TRAPPED BY BOSTON ***** that Columbia gave the series and Friedman an encore.

If you've ever wondered how the urbane Edmund Lowe would approach a "Nick Charles"-type role (and how he looks in a zoot suit), check out *GIRL IN THE CASE* -- Harry Cohn sent a congratulatory letter to producer Sam White for the first time in memory! *THE LADY IN THE LAKE* is followed by the Joe McDoakes satire. And I haven't seen *STREET OF CHANCE* in more than 30 years; Burgess Meredith, one of the finest actors of stage and screen, is well worth staying up for, and Sheldon Leonard will surprise you with an unusual performance.

*WEDNESDAY*

Theme: How to Be a Detective

6:00 am *PRIVATE DETECTIVE 62* (1933) BW-66 min. Warner Bros. William Powell, Margaret Lindsay, Ruth Donnelly. D: Michael Curtiz. p/s

7:10 am *The Studio Murder Mystery* (1932) BW-20 min. Warner Bros. Donald Meek, John Hamilton. D: Joseph Henabery. p/s

7:30 am *THE CASE OF THE STUTTERING BISHOP* (1937) BW-70 min. Warner Bros. Donald Woods, Ann Dvorak, Anne Nagel. D: William Clemens. p/s

8:45 am *How to Be a Detective* (1936) BW-9 min. M-G-M. Robert Benchley, Dewey Robinson. D: Felix E. Feist. p/s

9:00 am *MURDER ON A HONEYMOON* (1935) BW-74 min. RKO. Edna May Oliver, James Gleason, Lola Lane. (co-written by Robert Benchley) D: Lloyd Corrigan. p/s

10:30 am *MEET NERO WOLFE* (1936) BW-73 min. Columbia. Edward Arnold, Lionel Stander, Victor Jory. D: Herbert Biberman. p/s

11:45 am *Camera Sleuth* (1951) BW-10 min. M-G-M Pete Smith Specialty. D: Dave O'Brien. p/s

12 noon *THE SAINT IN LONDON* (1940) BW-72 min. RKO. George Sanders, Sally Gray, David Burns. D: John Paddy Carstairs. p/s

1:30 pm *THE FALCON'S ALIBI* (1946) BW-62 min. RKO. Tom Conway, Jane Greer, Elisha Cook, Jr. D: Ray McCarey. p/s

2:45 pm *TRAPPED BY BOSTON ***** (1948) BW-70 min. Columbia. Chester Morris, George E. Stone, Richard Lane. D: Seymour Friedman. p/s

4:00 pm *THE SCARLET CLAW* (1944) BW-74 min. Universal. Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Gerald Hamer. D: Roy William Neill. p/s

5:20 pm *Deduce, You Say* (1956) C-7 min. Warner Bros. cartoon. D: Chuck Jones. p/s

5:30 pm *THE SCARLET CLUE* (1945) BW-65 min. Monogram. Sidney Toler, Mantan Moreland, Ben Carter. D: Phil Rosen. p/s

6:45 pm *GIRL IN THE CASE* (faux Thin Man) (1944) BW-65 min. Columbia. Edmund Lowe, Janis Carter, Carole Mathews. D: William Berke. p/s

8:00 pm *ANOTHER THIN MAN* (1939) BW-105 min. M-G-M. William Powell, Myrna Loy, C. Aubrey Smith. D: W. S. Van Dyke. p/s

10:00 pm *THE LADY IN THE LAKE* (1947) BW-103 min. M-G-M. Robert Montgomery, Audrey Totter, Lloyd Nolan. D: Robert Montgomery. p/s

11:45 pm *So You Want to Be a Detective* (1948) BW-11 min. Warner Bros. Joe McDoakes short with George O’Hanlon. D: Richard L. Bare. p/s

12 mid *EYES IN THE NIGHT* (1942) BW-80 min. M-G-M. Edward Arnold, Ann Harding, Donna Reed. D: Fred Zinnemann. p/s

1:30 am *STREET OF CHANCE* (1942) BW-74 min. Paramount. Burgess Meredith, Claire Trevor, Sheldon Leonard. D: Jack Hively. Premiere #6

2:45 am *PHANTOM KILLER* (1942) BW-61 min. Monogram. Dick Purcell, Joan Woodbury, John Hamilton. D: William Beaudine. p/s

4:00 am *SH! THE OCTOPUS* (1937) BW-54 min. Warner Bros. Hugh Herbert, Allen Jenkins, Marcia Ralston. D: William McGann. p/s

5:00 am *GRANNY GET YOUR GUN* (1940) BW-56 min. Warner Bros. May Robson, Harry Davenport, Margot Stevenson. D: George Amy. p/s

Wednesday's "detective" theme segues into Thursday's look at some familiar faces. One of my favorite things about old movies is seeing all the recognizable character actors popping up unannounced. Thursday showcases three of my favorites: Byron Foulger, Edward Everett Horton, and George E. Stone.

The three Byron Foulger features have a whole gallery of character actors (Douglas Fowley, Milton Parsons, Edgar Kennedy, Edward Brophy, Joseph Crehan, Maude Eburne, and many, many others). *ARSON, INC.* is a surprisingly good law-enforcement procedural from Lippert, comparable to the Richard Fleischer RKO thrillers then in vogue; George "Superman" Reeves, then working at Lippert, was the dialogue director.

You can't go wrong with Edward Everett Horton, a master comedian and character actor who steals entire scenes with quick facial expressions. In *HOLIDAY* Horton reprises his role from the 1930 film of the same name; fans of Columbia features and shorts will see many familiar supporting players common to Columbia's class of '38.

George E. Stone is on my short list of favorite character performers because he was so sensitive and versatile. *THE BIG BRAIN* is Stone's only starring role; *THE HOUSEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER* has his memorable turn as a mentally **** murderer, but playing it quietly and sympathetically.

Star of the Month Donald O'Connor grows up before our eyes, from his boyhood days at Paramount to the film that made him a star, *MISTER BIG* (his fifth and last teen musical opposite Gloria Jean), to his adult roles in breezy comedies. (His famous *SINGIN' IN THE RAIN* performance is coming on Saturday.)

*THURSDAY*

Theme: Easy as 1-2-3 (favorite character actors)

Featuring Byron Foulger

6:00 am *THE FALCON STRIKES BACK* (1943) BW-66 min. RKO. Tom Conway, Harriet Hilliard, Byron Foulger. D: Edward Dmytryk. p/s

7:15 am *DICK TRACY VS. CUEBALL* (1946) BW-62 min. RKO. Morgan Conway, Anne Jeffreys, Byron Foulger. D: Gordon Douglas. p/s

8:30 am *ARSON, INC.* (1949) BW-63 min. Screen Guild (Lippert). Robert Lowery, Anne Gwynne, Byron Foulger. D: William Berke. Premiere #7

9:35 am *Purity Squad* (1945) BW-19 min. M-G-M Crime Does Not Pay short. Byron Foulger, Dick Elliott, Arthur Space. D: Harold Kress. p/s

Featuring Edward Everett Horton

10:00 am *THE SINGING KID* (1936) BW-85 min. Warner Bros. Al Jolson, Cab Calloway, Edward Everett Horton. D: William Keighley. p/s

11:30 am *HOLIDAY* (1938) BW-95 min. Columbia. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Edward Everett Horton. D: George Cukor. p/s

1:15 pm *HERE COMES MR. JORDAN* (1941) BW-94 min. Columbia. Robert Montgomery, James Gleason, Edward Everett Horton. D: Alexander Hall. p/s

Featuring George E. Stone

3:00 pm *THE HOUSEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER* (1939) BW-80 min. Hal Roach. Joan Bennett, John Hubbard, George E. Stone. D: Hal Roach. p/s

4:30 pm *The Devil with Hitler* (1942) BW-44 min. Hal Roach. Bobby Watson, Alan Mowbray, George E. Stone. D: Gordon Douglas. p/s

5:30 pm *THE BIG BRAIN* (a/k/a *ENEMIES OF SOCIETY*) (1933) BW-72 min. Universal. George E. Stone, Fay Wray, Minna Gombell. D: George Archainbaud. Premiere #8

6:45 pm *FRESHMAN LOVE* (1936) BW-67 min. Warner Bros. Frank McHugh, Warren Hull, George E. Stone. D: William McGann. p/s

Star of the Month: Donald O'Connor

8:00 pm *SING YOU SINNERS* (1938) BW-88 min. Paramount. Bing Crosby, Fred MacMurray, Donald O'Connor. D: Wesley Ruggles. Premiere #9

9:45 pm *MISTER BIG* (1943) BW-74 min. Universal. Donald O'Connor, Gloria Jean, Peggy Ryan. D: Charles Lamont. Premiere #10

11:15 pm *FEUDIN', FUSSIN', AND A-FIGHTIN'* (1948) BW-78 min. Universal. Donald O'Connor, Marjorie Main, Percy Kilbride. D: George Sherman. p/s

12:45 am *I LOVE MELVIN* (1953) C-77 min. M-G-M. Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Allyn Joslyn. D: Don Weis. p/s

2:30 am *THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!* (1974) C-135 min. M-G-M. Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Donald O'Connor. D: Jack Haley, Jr. p/s

4:45 am *FOOTLIGHT VARIETIES* (1951) BW-61 min. RKO. Jack Paar, Liberace, Red Buttons. D: Hal Yates. p/s

Friday takes us backstage among show folks. *THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY* is proof positive that prolific director William Beaudine really knew his business; he was one of the few directors who went up against the opinionated W. C. Fields and won. Watch for Fields doing his famous juggling specialty.

*BRAIN DONORS* is the ill-fated but hilarious remake of *A NIGHT AT THE OPERA*. Co-star Bob Nelson told me that Paramount was all set to promote this as the comedy hit of the year, but then the Zucker brothers (of AIRPLANE! and THE NAKED GUN) abruptly left Paramount for Columbia. Paramount then threw the film away, giving it token bookings and no publicity despite glowing reviews. It's really a very funny picture.

*SHOW BUSINESS* is Eddie Cantor's valentine to vaudeville, followed by *MINSTREL MAN*, Joseph H. Lewis's ambitious musical that earned the first Oscar nominations for the budget PRC studio. The day is topped off with a selection of Vitaphone shorts showing vaudeville greats in action. The _graveyard_ shift is taken by Bela Lugosi, appropriately enough.

*FRIDAY*

Theme: Show Folks

6:00 am *THE BROADWAY MELODY* (1929) BW-100 min. M-G-M. Bessie Love, Charles King, Anita Page. D: Harry Beaumont. p/s

7:40 am *The Dogway Melody* (1930) BW-17 min. M-G-M Dogville comedy. D: Zion Myers and Jules White. p/s

8:00 am *BROADWAY TO HOLLYWOOD* (1933) BW-85 min. M-G-M. Alice Brady, Frank Morgan, Mickey Rooney. D: Willard Mack. p/s

9:30 am *BABES IN ARMS* (1939) BW-94 min. M-G-M. Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Charles Winninger. D: Busby Berkeley. p/s

11:15 am *Melodies Old and New* (1942) BW-11 min. M-G-M Our Gang comedy. D: Edward Cahn. p/s

11:30 am *RIVERBOAT RHYTHM* (1946) BW-65 min. RKO. Leon Errol, Glenn Vernon, Walter Catlett. D: Leslie Goodwins. p/s

12:45 pm *THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY* (1934) BW-70 min. Paramount. W. C. Fields, Joe Morrison, Jan Duggan. D: William Beaudine. p/s

2:00 pm *42ND STREET* (1933) BW-89 min. Warner Bros. Warner Baxter, Bebe Daniels, Ruby Keeler. D: Lloyd Bacon. p/s

3:35 pm *Harry Warren, America’s Foremost Composer* (1933) BW-9 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). D: Ray McCarey. p/s

3:50 pm *A Swing Opera* (1939) BW-20 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Tess Gardella, Dale Winthrop, John Elliott. D: Roy Mack. p/s

4:15 pm *A NIGHT AT THE OPERA* (1935) BW-96 min. M-G-M. The Marx Brothers, Allan Jones, Kitty Carlisle. D: Sam Wood. p/s

6:00 pm *BRAIN DONORS* (1992) "Suggested by" A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. C-80 min. Paramount. John Turturro, Bob Nelson, Mel Smith. D: Dennis Dugan. Premiere #11

7:25 pm *A Corny Concerto* (1943) C-8 min. Warner Bros. cartoon. D: Robert Clampett. p/s

7:35 pm *Show Business* (1932) BW-20 min. Hal Roach. ZaSu Pitts and Thelma Todd, Anita Garvin. D: Jules White. p/s

8:00 pm *SHOW BUSINESS* (1944) BW-80 min. RKO. Eddie Cantor, Joan Davis, George Murphy. D: Edwin L. Marin. p/s

9:30 pm *MINSTREL MAN* (1944) BW-70 min. PRC. Benny Fields, Gladys George, Jerome Cowan. D: Joseph H. Lewis. Public domain. Premiere #12

10:45 pm *Blossom Seeley and Bennie Fields* (1928) BW-10 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). No director credited. p/s

11:00 pm *VITAPHONE VAUDEVILLE SHORTS*

NOTE: These are all Warner Bros. short-subject properties and I am assuming they have been previously scheduled. Many were recently released by Warner on DVD. 154 minutes total, in a 180-minute slot.

*A Plantation Act* (1926) BW-10 min. Al Jolson. p/s

*You Don't Know the Half of It* (1929) BW-10 min. Jay Brennan and Ann Butler. p/s

*The Beau Brummels* (1928) BW-9 min. Al Shaw and Sam Lee. p/s

*The Eccentric Entertainer* (1929) BW-8 min. Sol Violinsky. p/s

*The Police Quartette* (1927) BW-7 min. p/s

*Jack White with the Montrealers* (1929) BW-10 min. D: Bryan Foy. p/s

*The Ham What Am* (1928) BW-10 min. Jay C. Flippen. p/s

*A Regular Trouper* (1932) BW-20 min. Ruth Etting. D: Roy Mack. p/s

*Vitaphone Troupers* (1936) BW-10 min. Tess Gardella, Benny Ross and Maxine Stone. p/s

*Vitaphone Internationals* (1936) BW-10 min. Holtz & Lee, Ming & Toy, Pallenberg's Doberman Pinschers. p/s

*Vitaphone Entertainers* (1936) BW-10 min. Sylvia Froos, Mangan's Internationals, Hunter & Percival. p/s

*Vitaphone Diversions* (1937) BW-10 min. Smith & Dale, Dave Monahan, Five Juggling Jewels. p/s

*Seeing Red* (1939) BW-19 min. Red Skelton, The Merry Macs, A. Robins. D: Roy Mack. p/s

*The Happy Hottentots* (play this last) (1930) BW-11 min. Joe Frisco, Bobby Callahan, Billy Gilbert. D: Bryan Foy. p/s

2:00 am Friday Night Underground *SCARED TO DEATH* (1947) C-65 min. Screen Guild. Bela Lugosi, George Zucco, Nat Pendleton. D: Christy Cabanne. Public domain. E

3:15 am Friday Night Underground *BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA* (1952) Realart. BW-74 min. Bela Lugosi, Duke Mitchell and Sammy Petrillo. D: William Beaudine. Public domain. E

4:45 am *THE RETURN OF CHANDU* (1934) BW-65 min. Principal. Bela Lugosi, Maria Alba, Clara Kimball Young. D: Ray Taylor. Public domain. E

Everybody who watches TCM is movie crazy, so Saturday is for them. *HOLLYWOOD: THE DREAM FACTORY* is a TV special saluting M-G-M, with footage of the famous M-G-M studio auction. *DING DONG WILLIAMS* takes us behind the scenes at RKO; *CRAZY HOUSE* has Olsen & Johnson invading the reluctant Universal studio; *THE NUT FARM* is a clever and unjustly forgotten sendup of fly-by-night movie producers. *IT HAPPENED IN HOLLYWOOD* and *Double or Nothing* show us the unknown owners of famous faces, and *SINGIN' IN THE RAIN* is one of The Essentials.

Overnight, we have some Hollywood pageants that I call "The Office Talent Show," because that's what they look like: mixed-bag revues with the studio employees participating good-naturedly.

*SATURDAY*

Theme: Movie Crazy

6:00 am *HOLLYWOOD: THE DREAM FACTORY* (1973) C-54 min. M-G-M documentary. p/s

7:00 am *SOMETHING TO SING ABOUT* (1937) Grand National. BW-93 min. James Cagney, William Frawley, Gene Lockhart. D: Victor Schertzinger. Public domain. p/s

8:35 am *Maid in Hollywood* (1934) BW-20 min. Hal Roach. Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly, Billy Gilbert. D: Gus Meins. p/s

9:00 am *DING DONG WILLIAMS* (1946) BW-62 min. RKO. Glenn Vernon, Marcy McGuire, Felix Bressart. D: William Berke. p/s

10:15 am *MOVIE CRAZY* (1932) BW-96 min. Harold Lloyd Corp. Harold Lloyd, Constance Cummings, Arthur Housman. D: Clyde Bruckman. p/s

12 noon *CRAZY HOUSE* (1943) BW-80 min. Universal. Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson, Percy Kilbride. D: Edward Cline. Premiere #13

1:30 pm *THE NUT FARM* (1935) BW-65 min. Monogram. Wallace Ford, Florence Roberts, Bradley Page. D: Melville Brown. Premiere #14

2:40 pm *Double or Nothing* (1940) BW-18 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Lee Dixon, Tom Herbert, The Hollywood Doubles. p/s

3:00 pm *IT HAPPENED IN HOLLYWOOD* (1937) BW-67 min. Columbia. Richard Dix, Fay Wray, Hollywood Stand-Ins. D: Harry Lachman. p/s

4:15 pm *Home Movies* (1940) BW-8 min. M-G-M. Robert Benchley, Hobart Cavanagh. D: Basil Wrangell. p/s

4:30 pm *A STAR IS BORN* (1937) C-111 min. Selznick. Janet Gaynor, Fredric March, Adolphe Menjou. D: William A. Wellman. Public domain. p/s

6:30 pm *WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD?* (1932) BW-88 min. RKO. Constance Bennett, Lowell Sherman, Neil Hamilton. D: George Cukor. p/s

8:00 pm The Essentials *SINGIN' IN THE RAIN* (1952) C-103 min. M-G-M. Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds. D: Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen. p/s

10:00 pm *FREE AND EASY* (1930) BW-92 min. M-G-M. Buster Keaton, Anita Page, Trixie Friganza. D: Edward Sedgwick. p/s

11:35 pm *Script Girl* (1938) BW-20 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Alan Cross and Henry Dunn, Joan Abbott. D: Roy Mack. p/s

12 mid. *HOLLYWOOD ROUND-UP* (1937) BW-54 min. Columbia. Buck Jones, Helen Twelvetrees, Shemp Howard. D: Ewing Scott. p/s

Theme: The Office Talent Show

1:00 am *THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929* (1929) BW/C-118 min. M-G-M. Joan Crawford, Marion Davies, Laurel & Hardy. D: Charles Reisner. p/s

3:00 am *The Song Writers' Revue* (1930) BW-20 min. M-G-M. Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed, Jack Benny. D: Sammy Lee. p/s

3:30 am *THE SHOW OF SHOWS* (1929) BW/C-128 min. Warner Bros. Frank Fay, John Barrymore, Myrna Loy. D: John G. Adolfi. p/s

5:40 am *Trouble in Toyland* (1935) BW-19 min. Warner Bros. (Vitaphone). Roy LeMay, Dudley Clements, Jeannie Parrillo. D: Joseph Henabery. p/s

Thanks for looking!

LonesomePolecat - This is a wonderful schedule. Sid Caesar's writers has an amazing collection of talent. Danny Kaye is a great SOTM. I wish you would have chosen *Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead* simply to nudge the TCM programmers to air it. I believe The Muppets and Thelma Ritter are always welcome. I have long wished to see *Dear Brigitte* aired with no commercials.

Your hard work and inspirations clearly show!

Kingrat,

I have been unable to keep up with this thread due to some commitments. I apologize to all of those who've done schedules already- I usually love to post my comments with great responsiveness and I know that I am lacking this time. I hope to post comments before the end of the challenge. Already, the schedules are great, I can see. I am working on a schedule and hope to post it before the deadline. In the meantime, I am so thrilled to see some new folks entering the Challenge-it's great! Welcome and Good Luck!

Countess, we look forward to your comments and your schedule. Scott, thanks for your notes.

I began watching the Olivier *Hamlet* last night and discovered another film title that TCM can include when they steal this idea: *Primrose Path*. Yes, Shakespeare coined that phrase as well.

Just over a week left in the programming challenge, which closes at midnight Pacific time on June 30. If you always wrote your class papers at the last minute, you still have plenty of time!

Polecat, Ferenc Molnar also wrote a comedy called *The Play's the Thing*.

48 hours of lousy internet service is opening more holes in my already leaking boat. Iffy...

"Iffy" has become a "no go". I was going to do my best imitation of lzcutter and submit a schedule at the last minute, but three days with little or no internet service has put that idea to rest. Sorry.

Frownies to your internet provider, smileys. I was looking forward to your schedule.

I may be calling on computer assistance for the best way to post all the schedules into a voting thread. I believe filmlover has run into problems about how large an entry he can post in the 1939 day by day thread. I'll split the schedules into several posts if necessary.

Good luck on the home stretch for all of you working on your entrues.

*" "Iffy" has become a "no go". I was going to do my best imitation of lzcutter and submit a schedule at the last minute, but three days with little or no internet service has put that idea to rest. Sorry."* - smileys

If you give me something for the "3x3" requirement 'kingrat' has added to this Challenge, I'll add your name on the schedule I have going. We can be the Stan & Ollie of the Programming Challenge.

Kyle In Hollywood

> We can be the Stan & Ollie of the Programming Challenge.

That would be cool!

King,

As you may have guessed from smiley's post, I will probably go down to the wire (I always seem to) but I will have a schedule- out of competition, of course, but I will have one!

*...I'll add your name on the schedule I have going. We can be the Stan & Ollie of the Programming Challenge.* - hlywdkjk

And fiddle with perfection? Thanks for the thought, but my schedule was going to be mighty unpopular. I just couldn't do that to you. :-)

*"And fiddle with perfection?"* - smileys

C'mon. We'd be two peas in a pah-duh!

I truly doubt that anything you put together would be unpopular. Mighty? Sure but definitely not unpopular.

All I've got done is five evenings. I've got two evenings and seven full days to plot out - including a SOTM and the "1-2-3" segment. The offer still stands...

I'm still working through these feelings of abandonment, ya know.

Kyle In Hollywood

I've got about three days fully programmed and timed out properly.

I've got lots of themes for the other four days, but getting mornings to start at the right time and prime time to start at 8:00 PM is a dickens.

> I may be calling on computer assistance for the best way to post all the schedules into a voting thread.

I found that a common way of posting the voting thread was to put each schedule into its own post. Some Challenge-Setters combined the schedule with the notes while others did each separately.

I do not think a single post with all the schedules and notes would be easy or desirable.

I do not know which browser you use and I can not give explicit directions but for my Challenge Capuchin had the browser display each page's source code and he copied the schedules from that so each * and + would be in its proper place rather than being coverted to show bold or italics as would have been done if copy had been made from normal display.

King,

The best thing to do when creating the voting thread is:

1) Enter each entry as a separate post. Because there have been upgrades since the last Challenge, it would definitely be worth checking with filmlover about the size of a post. In the old days, a schedule and the accompaning notes could be combined into one post but it's definitely worth checking with Filmlover to see if the software can handle the load these days, so to speak.

2) Be sure there are no emoticons in the entries or in the notes. Because of the size of the the posts, emoticons will wreck havoc with people trying to open the thread.

Hope that helps!

Fedya,

We want another of your wonderful, witty schedules. No: we need another of your wonderful, witty schedules. TCM doesn't always start at 6am, and you're not required to, either. If you're not starting an evening exactly at 8:00, maybe the Grand Pooh Bah won't notice.

Kingrat,

Question: Can shorts be from any studio (and not count as a premiere) or must they be from the accepted libraries? For example: I would love to use some Paramount shorts but I will avoid them if they count as a premiere, since they've not been screened on TCM in the past.

*Can shorts be from any studio (and not count as a premiere)...* - cd

I can't speak for this Challenge, but long, long ago shorts were treated the same as feature-length movies. All my shorts came from MGM, WB, RKO, and some Columbia, back when TCM seemed to have unlimited access to Columbia. I guess the latter's no longer the case, though.