Sign in to follow this  
Ray Faiola

ACE DRUMMOND

15 posts in this topic

Well, Universal's 1936 chapterplay ACE DRUMMOND starts this Saturday (6/11). If they have the same four-star materials that they had on BUCK ROGERS it'll be a real coup. Look for Junior Chaney as one of the henchmen.

The Dragon Commands!

Would love to see what many consider the "Best" serial ever made "Captain Marvel" with the great Tom Tyler {Yes, Luke Plummer of "Stagecoach"} as Captain Marvel, he also starred as "The Phantom", another well done serial. Most people don't realize that as many as a dozen serials were released in a single year. The "Golden Age" of the serials ran from 1936 to about 1945. Republic studios alone produced about 66 of them. So from "Ace Drummond" to "Tim Tylers Luck" to "Don Winslow of the Navy" to "Mandrake the Magician" to "The Green Hornet" to "The Shadow" keep them coming TCM and take us back to those thrilling days of yesteryear..Yes, there was even an "Lone Ranger" serial.....

For anyone thinking of saving them to disc, there are 13 eps, averaging 20m each, with a TRT of 255 minutes. So, you can get the first 6 eps on one DVD at SP, but to get the remaining 7 on one DVD, you'd have to record at a slower speed.

Correction - episode One is a traditional "longer" chapter. It's three reels (30 minutes). Universal reverted to two-reel openers the following year, but Republic continued with three-reelers into the 40's.

Wow, thanks for the info. Someone should update the IMDb entry, and the TCM schedule also says 21m for the first ep.

Sorry, guys, I blew it. Chapter One IS a two-reeler. 20 Minutes. My apologies. I shot from the hip and then checked my print. Mea Culpa.

Looks like the video master was transferred from a 16mm dupe or reduction print. Quite a bit of white negative dirt. My print is a 1949 Kodak Safety Positive and there was none of the negative dirt in the materials. Also has a much wider-range soundtrack. Mine's also a Filmcraft reissue.

By the way, he's not credited, but one of the Dragon's henchmen is Dick Wessell; and Sturges player Al Bridge is one of the American nasties.

And House Peters,Jr. as pilot removed early in Chapter 1. I remember him from many henchman roles in THE LONE RANGER TV series with the great Clayton Moore.

Thank you for letting us know what year this thing came out. I was wondering. A very young Chaney, Jr. and an even younger Noah Beery, Jr. God, he must have been in his teens in this thing!

I have a trailer for a serial Noah Beery Jr. did a year earlier - CALL OF THE SAVAGE. Beery plays a road-company Tarzan type character. Instead of doing a jungle yodel, he simply screams "HEY!" "HEY!!" It's a total riot.

Any way you cut it, Ford Bebee was perhaps a better writer than director.