Sign in to follow this  
brackenhe

[b]Annie Get Your Gun[/b]

9 posts in this topic

I watched this for the first time last week, and then the boards went down so I didn't get to see what everyone thought about it. I must have seen it as a kid (although I remember more distinctly a live TV version with Harve Presnell in the Frank Butler role) but I didn't particularly like it (the movie version.) I know Betty Hutton was known for being over the top, but she was ridiculously OTT in this movie. No wonder she has bad memories of making this film. I can imagine that George Sidney kept saying "More, more" til she couldn't give any more. I was exhausted just watching her shenanigans. What does everyone else think? Me, I'll probably not watch it again, even though there's some good songs in it.

I have never been a fan of Huttons work. Though one of my favorite movies as a kid was the Greatest Show on Earth. Even back then I liked the film for Stewart, Heston, and the rest except for Hutton. I saw The Miracle of Morgans Creek for the first time this year and again the film was good except for her (I'm sure everyone here thinks she was great in this - Eddie deserved better). Anyway, we all seem to have that certain actor who, no matter their praises by the masses, you just can't enjoy. Shes one of mine.

I was always a Hutton fan and always will be. Her energy during a number is magnetic and she could certainly belt out a song. I couldn't take my eyes off her when

watching "Annie Get Your Gun" while she was performing those fabulous Irving Berlin numbers with gusto and pathos.

One of my favorites is the movie "Incendiary Blonde" in which she captures my heart with her tender performance as Texas Guinan.

Glad to see that TCM are getting some of her Paramount

films.

Mongo

I don't totally hate Betty Hutton--on the contrary I think she is a very fragile person (kind of like Judy Garland) but she did have talent. I like the Texas Guinan movie too and she's tolerable in Greatest Show on Earth, but Annie---I don't know about that.

brackenhe,

If you still want to find out what folks said about Hutton in the past on the board, just go to the Home page (under "Post Message," above) and type "Betty Hutton" in the search box.

I just saw the movie and I loved it. Betty Hutton is great. I loved the songs too. I would definately recommend it to anyone.

Ijust got my movie soundtrack today of annid get your gun

just finished listening to it.I now understand why

judy was replaced by Betty. Judy sings They say its

wonderful like no else can! But Betty brought a hillbilly

demeanor to the role of Annie that judy was lacking

despite her wonderful singing & acting.... The women

Annie had to be a hillbilly there was no other way

realistically to play that role. Betty Hutton nailed it!

please get the motion picure sound track ou won't regret

a single minute of Irving Berlin!!!!.....lolite.

I really "Annie go get your gun" but I

loved "A Miracle at Morgans Creek"

her acting was brilliant in that and the actors had such good chemistrey with eachother.

I thought it was great.!!!!!!!!!!!!